6 (11.3%)
Dennis Lawrence
10 (18.9%)
Silvio Spann
8 (15.1%)
Carlos Edwards
18 (34%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: who we should be grooming as new captain?  (Read 12869 times)

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
who we should be grooming as new captain?
« on: August 02, 2006, 11:45:24 PM »
I mentioned in a post after the WC that wise probably will take over the reigns from yorke as a man with dedication, fitness and skill that the whole team will look up to, and listen to, and respect...but tallman shoot mih dong and kindly remind me he 33 and counting...  I know it have men go be calling out Dog name for the sake of callin out an older head name, but I doh feel his own game solid enough to deserve the infallible status as - captain.
yorke could make history and make another WC?  I hope not for T&T football sake.
so who have the persona to lead?
I personally like Birchall for AFTER 2010.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: who we should be grooming as new captain?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 11:51:54 PM »
Carlos Edwards is de best candidate for me

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 11:52:38 PM »
Hardest!

He is a natural leader
and exemplary talent on and off the field and his disciplinary record is impeccable 

Més que un club.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 12:04:30 AM »
Personally i like Carlos Edwards for skipper, he has a fair amount of experience to carry us well past 2010 especially if he converts to a conventional wing back seeing the whole field.

Other reasons are that he already is one of the more vocal players on the field,
He is a 90 minute player, meaning in competitive matches he is rarely subsituted
He has good fitness to lead by example
More than 40 caps

What would make him a certainty is a propelled club career which would make it easier for the coaching staff his peers to accept that leadership status, like Andrews, Latas and Yorke before him.

I haven't heard him give too many live interviews to see his level of communication which is important at the international level.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline thane

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 01:01:43 AM »
nobody on that list!! ...

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 01:51:35 AM »
Hardest!

He is a natural leader
and exemplary talent on and off the field and his disciplinary record is impeccable 

disgruntle im gunna have to back you up on this.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline okaki

• Jr. Warrior
  • Go! Silvio!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 02:04:43 AM »
Silvio Spann is best! ;)

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 02:06:58 AM »
What a great topic.....and the truth is  ???

Time for somebody to step up and be vocal....Kelvin Jack? Lawrence is Wrexham's club captain, but I agree it should be somebody young...who is the captain of our U-23 side?

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 04:38:35 AM »
Carlos is the best option to me...especially after he showed his true class this WC. He is an integral part of the team, is the right age...not too young, not too old...has the perfect amount of experience and he his a brave player.

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 05:06:27 AM »
Carlos is the best option to me...especially after he showed his true class this WC. He is an integral part of the team, is the right age...not too young, not too old...has the perfect amount of experience and he his a brave player.

Yep, Carlos would be my pick. As much as I like Birchall, he's not a leader. And everybody else on that list too old.
Attraction of the Mind gives Respect.
Attraction of the Heart gives Friendship.
Attraction of the Body gives Desire.

Attraction of all Three of them at once …
gives Love.

[

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 06:22:02 AM »
STERN John- Experience must count and he will be a dread captain- Cussing left -right- and centre- no one will be pulling stones with Stern in charge. That is not my leadership style but T&T locals respond to that style. Ask Gally and VIV Richards.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 06:24:49 AM »
Lawrence or Jack or the Defensive midfielder...whoever take the mantle, if neither of the first 2 playing.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 07:59:36 AM »
I don't know if John will be around in four years time.

However, sanchol, spann and carlos are good candidates.

Peace,
VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 08:39:18 AM »
Add Christopher Birchall to the list of candidates.

Of course...ah go get accuse of bein a foreign white man lover but so it go ah guess.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 08:42:56 AM »
I not thrilled about Birchall for captain...after his comments about what his attitude would be if he scored against england

In my opinion That kinda sour his chances as a full fledged leader on this team
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2006, 08:44:44 AM »
I not thrilled about Birchall for captain...after his comments about what his attitude would be if he scored against england

In my opinion That kinda sour his chances as a full fledged leader on this team

Cyah remember wha he say....refresh meh memory please.

Thanks

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2006, 08:50:16 AM »
Words to the effect of 'he woudnt celebrate,, he would try to be as sombre as possible'..cant remember the quote verbatim...ah hadda look for that eng v TT thread

But in my mind he was basically saying it would be disrespectful for him to 'get orn bad' if he score against england....no problem there,,I understand the man position

However, it instilled doubt in my mind whether would he actually TRY to score when presented with the opportunity or pass the ball for somebody else to do it

Captain armband is 110% for yuh team or nuttn oui
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2006, 08:57:23 AM »
Carlos is ah great option BUT Dog is already going to be the captain once healthy. I believe the coach had made that request to him already.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2006, 08:58:33 AM »
Words to the effect of 'he woudnt celebrate,, he would try to be as sombre as possible'..cant remember the quote verbatim...ah hadda look for that eng v TT thread

But in my mind he was basically saying it would be disrespectful for him to 'get orn bad' if he score against england....no problem there,,I understand the man position

However, it instilled doubt in my mind whether would he actually TRY to score when presented with the opportunity or pass the ball for somebody else to do it

Thanks.  Ah understand both yuh perspectives.  My take on it is, Birchall was propbably talkin to a English reporter who asked him a legitimate question and he answer as diplomatically as possible.  It come like if I end up playin fuh Canada against T&T...ah would curb meh instincts to celebrate if ah score (especially as me scorin is as common as a Halley's comet sightin)....but dat eh go stop meh from lookin to buss net if ah get de opportunity..T&T or no T&T.  In dat situation, yuh competitive instincts take over and you eh studyin meh padnah Shaka in de goal.  Matter of fact...yuh might want to buss de net more.

Jes my take.

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2006, 09:13:09 AM »
Quote from: Dutty on Today at 10:50:16 AM

there are many instances of players having a toned down celebration after scoring. Some time ago Eto scored a goal against his former team and did not celebrate. So Birchill saying dat in no big ting. And if yuh go say dat about Birchill wha bout Shaka? Shaka born in England, was hoping tuh play for England....sooooooooooooooooo?

TrinInfinite

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2006, 09:28:12 AM »

there are many instances of players having a toned down celebration after scoring. Some time ago Eto scored a goal against his former team and did not celebrate. So Birchill saying dat in no big ting. And if yuh go say dat about Birchill wha bout Shaka? Shaka born in England, was hoping tuh play for England....sooooooooooooooooo?

if that was his comments i wouldnt want to be captain either, let alone playing for the team, but we will see, i rather edwards, spann or lawrence as captain, when i spoke to dennis on several ocassions, he was the main man tuh take care of tings, other than yorke, all the players resepcted him, i think he will be a good captain also, birchall mind is split, we cant have a player whos mind is split, even on one occasion..

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2006, 09:32:27 AM »

eto is a different scene, his was wid club dis is wid country, we need ah player dat cud lead by play and comitment which carlos,spann,birchill, whitely wud fit without doubt but most importantly we need a leader dat sounds trinbagonian  ;D ah know ah go geh cuss fuh dat eh buh say wah go easy on mih nah  :rotfl:
all dat is necessary is necessary

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2006, 09:32:45 AM »
i found it odd when stern scored his offside goal against england, all the england players raise their hands for offside...so did birchall.

anyway, the captain should not be groomed. you dont groom those kind of things. you pick a captain based on who steps up and leads on/off the field
Hart for president

TrinInfinite

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2006, 09:35:42 AM »
i found it odd when stern scored his offside goal against england, all the england players raise their hands for offside...so did birchall.

anyway, the captain should not be groomed. you dont groom those kind of things. you pick a captain based on who steps up and leads on/off the field

u know bredda, i didnt even see dat when birchall raised his hands, wow, well what could i say, that in itself is bullshit and to me, jagdeo could take birchall spot on the team, if that was the case, let birchall play he club ball bc tt dont need him if that was the attitude. schupsss :bs: :flamethrower:

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2006, 09:46:38 AM »

Thanks.  Ah understand both yuh perspectives.  My take on it is, Birchall was propbably talkin to a English reporter who asked him a legitimate question and he answer as diplomatically as possible.  It come like if I end up playin fuh Canada against T&T...ah would curb meh instincts to celebrate if ah score (especially as me scorin is as common as a Halley's comet sightin)....but dat eh go stop meh from lookin to buss net if ah get de opportunity..T&T or no T&T.  In dat situation, yuh competitive instincts take over and you eh studyin meh padnah Shaka in de goal.  Matter of fact...yuh might want to buss de net more.

Jes my take.

well this is the quote from his blog dat I think Dutty was referring to:

"However, I've been quoted in some newspapers as saying that if I score against England I won't celebrate. What I meant by that is that I won't go over-the-top. I can't say I'm definitely not going to celebrate - you don't know what you'll do if it happens and obviously if I score I will celebrate somehow - but I was saying that I won't disrespect the country that I've grown up in and supported all my life."

but I remember when he was asked about de issue on the BBC and he said in a serious tone, "Sorry England but we (T&T) are going to try to win this one."
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 09:51:01 AM by Grande man »

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2006, 09:52:21 AM »

Words

Well is not like I tryin to put de man on trial or someting

Birchall play his backside off for  T&T,,in some cases moreso than locals...but it would seem to me he kinda trip on that comment....as palos say it may be he was trying to be diplomatic as the english press would sensationalize anything seen as negative toward england.....however,,, .dat eh my business
The captain is to lead by example..on and off the field

With regard to your shaka question,,,,if shaka was palyin for england and said he would be sombre in celebration if he scored against T&t
The british sporting press woulda slaughter him

Supporter..you sure you see dat hand ting in trute?

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2006, 09:57:50 AM »
Cyar understand how men could even entertain de idea of Birchall as captain. Just personality wise he won't be a good fit. I could only think about supporting dat if he marry ah Dougla, move to Chaguanas, and start eating cascadoo fuh breakfast every day. Pelau too.  And learn to make Roti.

And even den if he come around talkin' 'bout "me mum" instead of "mih muddah"......!!!

And Shaka is a whole different story. No need to explain that. He is Trini through and through.

Dennis Lawrence should be the captain of the team.
Two islands are better than one.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2006, 10:01:35 AM »
Birchall will be a great candidate because he is young and plays de game with all he's got. If players in TNT plays wid de dedication Birchal plays wid , TNT footbal will do good..Stern is totaly out of de question..to much a crying for de ball.. Jones mi bwoy but he does cry to much to de refs and de rest is a bunch of old man who might be senior citizens come next world cup.... I still do believe dat "Dwight  will be there though. de only downfall wid Birchall is dat he will not come to Trinidad like de regulars..but de yute is a fighter.. wil I love to see him be de  capt? hell no!!!   but he is a decent candidate because of his age and his dedication towards de game of football. I aint never hear de man say dat he will not celebrate if he score against england but I did read it .. Dem reporters dem does lie everybody know dat . so mi have to hear dem story wid mi own ear to believe it..

warmonga..
Black Lives Matter..

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2006, 10:12:06 AM »

yeah, he even look over at the assistant. Although in his defense, stern began to do the same thing and maybe they were both celebrating a goal but were too tired to look like it so they just raise dey hand  :-\
Hart for president

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2006, 10:17:19 AM »

yeah, he even look over at the assistant. Although in his defense, stern began to do the same thing and maybe they were both celebrating a goal but were too tired to look like it so they just raise dey hand  :-\

dat is what i thought too when i see de hand go up
Glen was real cussing though

1]; } ?>