6 (11.3%)
Dennis Lawrence
10 (18.9%)
Silvio Spann
8 (15.1%)
Carlos Edwards
18 (34%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: who we should be grooming as new captain?  (Read 12851 times)

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: who we should be grooming as new captain?
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2006, 10:20:07 AM »
Oh my god ,just looked at it ,he did.

Supporter..you sure you see dat hand ting in trute?

yeah, he even look over at the assistant. Although in his defense, stern began to do the same thing and maybe they were both celebrating a goal but were too tired to look like it so they just raise dey hand  :-\

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2006, 10:26:19 AM »
My vote is for Dennis Lawrence, he has the leadership quality to lead the team, also he plays in a position where he can command and make things happen. I have no problem with birchie as captain, but not for 2010, maybe 2014, if he continues giving his all and showing that he can lead a team. Edwards have the experience and seems like a good candidate, but I am not sure he have the leadership qualities that a captain should have, I could be wrong but I have never seen him that way.

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline trini supporter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2006, 10:45:17 AM »
For me it would have to Dennis he has good leadership qualities and the experience of captaining Wrexham

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2006, 11:03:05 AM »
Oh my god ,just looked at it ,he did.

Supporter..you sure you see dat hand ting in trute?

yeah, he even look over at the assistant. Although in his defense, stern began to do the same thing and maybe they were both celebrating a goal but were too tired to look like it so they just raise dey hand  :-\

Compre...come nah breds... First..look right before he raises his hand, he claps TWICE. It is a celebration of a bun youth who also made good on his claim not to overcelebrate if he scored on England (obvioulsy he didn't score, but he that would have been apllicable for anyone who scored against England). Plus..they all knew it was the last kick of the game and that goal was not even an equalizer...only a real hater would think Birchall would not even want us to score in a losing effort. I cannot even believe this nah....anyway..watch again..he claps twice and then raises his hand..it is a celebration. And for all those who watch or play football...when you score a goal that looks like you coulda be offside, the first thing you do is check and see if the linesman flg raise even while yuh celebrating...anyhow..I cyah beleive ah even entertaining this level of bad mind
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 11:08:11 AM by Filho »

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2006, 11:25:29 AM »
 ;D ok I"ll check it again ,i like me mum and i want to be wrong.But ah had to check what d man say and it had look like he appealing for offside .But Ill give him the benefit of the doubt no problem. :beermug:

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2006, 11:37:43 AM »
i found it odd when stern scored his offside goal against england, all the england players raise their hands for offside...so did birchall.

anyway, the captain should not be groomed. you dont groom those kind of things. you pick a captain based on who steps up and leads on/off the field

u know bredda, i didnt even see dat when birchall raised his hands, wow, well what could i say, that in itself is bullshit and to me, jagdeo could take birchall spot on the team, if that was the case, let birchall play he club ball bc tt dont need him if that was the attitude. schupsss :bs: :flamethrower:

hmph that is disturbing... however facts are facts and Birchall has done far more than any of us could have ever dreamed he would...

He was our pride in the Gold Cup and he pulled of an amazing strike to help us beat Bahrain... and only two goals were scored in that play off so considering he was one of them makes it obvious that he is an essential part of the team...

If it is that he did that im very dissapointed and yet not surprised... Its not tuh say de man doh love he new country it just shows that hes loyal to his background...

de man has already shown his commitment to the team and has done alot.

And if yuh tryin tuh say he could simply say he can be replaced by someone who hasnt even broke onto the international scene or done anything for our country yet is simply pompous.

stewps.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2006, 11:53:09 AM »
;D ok I"ll check it again ,i like me mum and i want to be wrong.But ah had to check what d man say and it had look like he appealing for offside .But Ill give him the benefit of the doubt no problem. :beermug:

yeah is no scene  :beermug: :beermug:

truth is..it eh have no right or wrong nah. To me, the footage shows he clapped and then raised his hand. so imo that is a celebration. Others may see it different.  In the end I guess I was dissapointed at how easy it is to think the worst of our own people with inconclusive 'evidence'. ALL our warriors deserve the benefit of the doubt unless we are privy to the utmost proof of the contrary. If Carlos, Whitley or Dennis raised their hands like that, I don't think this would even be a topic of conversation. bless
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 12:10:30 PM by Filho »

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2006, 12:26:22 PM »
nobody on that list!! ...
yeah i see kenwyn jones he will be around for a longtime.
All American

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2006, 12:33:12 PM »

truth is..it eh have no right or wrong nah. To me, the footage shows he clapped and then raised his hand. so imo that is a celebration. Others may see it different.  In the end I guess I was dissapointed at how easy it is to think the worst of our own people with inconclusive 'evidence'. ALL our warriors deserve the benefit of the doubt unless we are privy to the utmost proof of the contrary. If Carlos, Whitley or Dennis raised their hands like that, I don't think this would even be a topic of conversation. bless
Come on b ,99.9 % of the countries in the world we play this would be a non issue.But you have to admit that playing England ,makes it  unique  in Chris"s case right.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2006, 01:01:28 PM »

Come on b ,99.9 % of the countries in the world we play this would be a non issue.But you have to admit that playing England ,makes it  unique  in Chris"s case right.

Yeah..is really ah very interesting case  :beermug: I give yuh dat. These examples may not be identical, but they pose the same questions. Japan's Brazilian-born Alex played against Brazil this WC. Angola's Paulo Figueredo played against Portugal. Argentine La Volpe coached Mexico against Argentina, Sven Goran Erikson coached against Sweden...2 WCs in a row. Viduka played for Australia against Croatia - the thing is, I assume none of these guys would sell out their adopted teams...and neither would Birchy. I am sure if put in Birchall's position, we would all say that we would give our all...so I just assume that Birchall would too. But that is kinda idealistic and so I hear yuh. It is a weird dilemma in theory..I think in practice, the fellas not as conflicted as it would appear. Anyhow, jes my opinion. respek
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 01:05:03 PM by Filho »

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2006, 01:08:05 PM »
Quote from: Dutty on Today at 10:50:16 AM

Words to the effect of 'he woudnt celebrate,, he would try to be as sombre as possible'..cant remember the quote verbatim...ah hadda look for that eng v TT thread

But in my mind he was basically saying it would be disrespectful for him to 'get orn bad' if he score against england....no problem there,,I understand the man position

However, it instilled doubt in my mind whether would he actually TRY to score when presented with the opportunity or pass the ball for somebody else to do it

Captain armband is 110% for yuh team or nuttn oui

there are many instances of players having a toned down celebration after scoring. Some time ago Eto scored a goal against his former team and did not celebrate. So Birchill saying dat in no big ting. And if yuh go say dat about Birchill wha bout Shaka? Shaka born in England, was hoping tuh play for England....sooooooooooooooooo?

eto is a different scene, his was wid club dis is wid country, we need ah player dat cud lead by play and comitment which carlos,spann,birchill, whitely wud fit without doubt but most importantly we need a leader dat sounds trinbagonian  ;D ah know ah go geh cuss fuh dat eh buh say wah go easy on mih nah  :rotfl:

nah! i wouldnt cuss yuh....is only ah difference in opinion we having boss. Eto situation wasnt dat much different to Birchie. We starting tuh sound like some ah dem Urban Legends dat does be going around the internet.

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2006, 01:17:45 PM »
im sorry filho, but he didnt clap twice
Hart for president

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2006, 01:18:12 PM »
I would say Stern, but then afterwards we might end up in a situation like Beckham where he might not deserve to start but he will always be there because he's captain. In any case i always prefer a midfielder as captain. In that case I will go with Edwards. Birchall could handle it in 2014 when he have some more caps, but we so bloody racial in this place I'm sure he won't be able to command the respect of all the players.

Somebody like whayuhsay go complain about man being blinded by the white light again and worse yet might be a man who have to play with him on the same field, not to mention the journalists and usual backseat drivers...

I was listening a radio program i had taped from I95.5 with vidale and gally and one of them was saying that the fella Beenhakker bring in from England wasn't (and couldn't) do anything none of our players didn't know how to do (this was 10 days before the USA match) and how if you always do everything simple you must always look good.

I don't know what they was saying after the first match against bahrain...

Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2006, 01:29:19 PM »
Fer real I never notice no clapping,and it would take long to check it over  on rogers tv.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2006, 01:39:06 PM »
I was listening a radio program i had taped from I95.5 with vidale and gally and one of them was saying that the fella Beenhakker bring in from England wasn't (and couldn't) do anything none of our players didn't know how to do (this was 10 days before the USA match) and how if you always do everything simple you must always look good.

I don't know what they was saying after the first match against bahrain...

i remember that interview, and daiz why real madrid, or america (de mexico) not banging down dem fellaz door to come and coach dem.  I jus pray we could weather this period and dem fellaz set the standards, so coaches of trinidad ent go come with no more dumb excuses again.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2006, 01:40:34 PM »

yeah is no scene  :beermug: :beermug:

truth is..it eh have no right or wrong nah. To me, the footage shows he clapped and then raised his hand. so imo that is a celebration. Others may see it different.  In the end I guess I was dissapointed at how easy it is to think the worst of our own people with inconclusive 'evidence'. ALL our warriors deserve the benefit of the doubt unless we are privy to the utmost proof of the contrary. If Carlos, Whitley or Dennis raised their hands like that, I don't think this would even be a topic of conversation. bless
Come on b ,99.9 % of the countries in the world we play this would be a non issue.But you have to admit that playing England ,makes it  unique  in Chris"s case right.

Yeah..is really ah very interesting case  :beermug: I give yuh dat. These examples may not be identical, but they pose the same questions. Japan's Brazilian-born Alex played against Brazil this WC. Angola's Paulo Figueredo played against Portugal. Argentine La Volpe coached Mexico against Argentina, Sven Goran Erikson coached against Sweden...2 WCs in a row. Viduka played for Australia against Croatia - the thing is, I assume none of these guys would sell out their adopted teams...and neither would Birchy. I am sure if put in Birchall's position, we would all say that we would give our all...so I just assume that Birchall would too. But that is kinda idealistic and so I hear yuh. It is a weird dilemma in theory..I think in practice, the fellas not as conflicted as it would appear. Anyhow, jes my opinion. respek
Doh fuhget Mauro Camoranesi. Argentinian. Plays for Italy. Refuses to sing the Italian national anthem before games because "I'm not Italian!"
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2006, 01:44:18 PM »
Dey right. De problem is knowing how to do a thing, and deciding to do it is 2 different things. Look how long it take fuh Wise to learn to not try to beat every man on de field, and raise he head and pass de ball.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2006, 01:45:04 PM »

truth is..it eh have no right or wrong nah. To me, the footage shows he clapped and then raised his hand. so imo that is a celebration. Others may see it different.  In the end I guess I was dissapointed at how easy it is to think the worst of our own people with inconclusive 'evidence'. ALL our warriors deserve the benefit of the doubt unless we are privy to the utmost proof of the contrary. If Carlos, Whitley or Dennis raised their hands like that, I don't think this would even be a topic of conversation. bless
Come on b ,99.9 % of the countries in the world we play this would be a non issue.But you have to admit that playing England ,makes it  unique  in Chris"s case right.

Yeah..is really ah very interesting case  :beermug: I give yuh dat. These examples may not be identical, but they pose the same questions. Japan's Brazilian-born Alex played against Brazil this WC. Angola's Paulo Figueredo played against Portugal. Argentine La Volpe coached Mexico against Argentina, Sven Goran Erikson coached against Sweden...2 WCs in a row. Viduka played for Australia against Croatia - the thing is, I assume none of these guys would sell out their adopted teams...and neither would Birchy. I am sure if put in Birchall's position, we would all say that we would give our all...so I just assume that Birchall would too. But that is kinda idealistic and so I hear yuh. It is a weird dilemma in theory..I think in practice, the fellas not as conflicted as it would appear. Anyhow, jes my opinion. respek
Doh fuhget Mauro Camoranesi. Argentinian. Plays for Italy. Refuses to sing the Italian national anthem before games because "I'm not Italian!"

:o alyuh sure d man say that?
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2006, 01:48:30 PM »
Dey right. De problem is knowing how to do a thing, and deciding to do it is 2 different things. Look how long it take fuh Wise to learn to not try to beat every man on de field, and raise he head and pass de ball.

You might be right, except if it have to take men like Hardest and whoever else would be playing in Birchall spot 4 years to figure out how to give 100% when they don't have the ball and to keep they shots down when they decide to hit bullet, not one of we woulda be in germany singing the anthem  ::)

The point is they was fighting him down for fighting him down, and at least in gally case, mainly because he not homegrown...

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2006, 01:52:39 PM »
Fer real I never notice no clapping,and it would take long to check it over  on rogers tv.

fellaz I think you are both right..I watched it on youtube here and it looks like he brings up his left hand and claps. I can't see his right hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDLlAtVFGzc&search=sTERN%20SCORES%20AGAINST%20eNGLAND

At the same time, even if he didn't..it really doesn't change my opinion. I think he celebrates the goal by slowly raising his hand. An offside appeal like the English ones, especially a subconscious one would be a quick hand raise.

Offline sprog

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2006, 01:53:38 PM »
My pick was carlos, but dont you'll think if stern was captain it might cause him to improve his work rate and consistently be the class striker that he is capable of.

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2006, 02:00:09 PM »

fellaz I think you are both right..I watched it on youtube here and it looks like he brings up his left hand and claps. I can't see his right hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDLlAtVFGzc&search=sTERN%20SCORES%20AGAINST%20eNGLAND

At the same time, even if he didn't..it really doesn't change my opinion. I think he celebrates the goal by slowly raising his hand. An offside appeal like the English ones, especially a subconscious one would be a quick hand raise.

filho, ive watched it many times on a crystal clear replay and his two hands never meet. And his reaction and hand raise looks almost identical to any one of the english defenders hand raise for offside.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 02:02:58 PM by supporter »
Hart for president

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2006, 02:03:42 PM »

:o alyuh sure d man say that?

He kinda did...he said he has an Italian passport, but that was not enough to feel Italian. Although I think he said that closer to when he first got invited to play for Italy. Not sure if that was his sentiment by the time the WC came around. But he obviously still feels more Argentine than Italian according to this article

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=371118&cc=5901

filho, ive watched it many times on a crystal clear replay and his two hands never meet. And his reaction, and hand raise looks almost identical to any one of the english defenders hand raise for offside.

i wit you wit the clap pardnah. I watching this thing over and I realize I only saw what I wanted to see. I saw the left and hand move up and now that I calm down I seeing it different. I have to admit that. But his hand raises very slowly...It doesn't shoot up right away. Honestly though pardnah..how you could really jump to the conclusion that he would do that? He could be doing two things..celebrating or calling ah offsides. So why pick the worse. Think about it..is not like the goal was ah equalizer or a go ahead goal.  yuh really think he that low?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 02:12:29 PM by Filho »

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2006, 02:04:49 PM »
My pick was carlos, but dont you'll think if stern was captain it might cause him to improve his work rate and consistently be the class striker that he is capable of.

ah like dat one...pull a yorke pt 2 ....next ting we see stern become t&t's greatest ever midfielder.  ;D

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2006, 02:08:05 PM »
oh no, i never jumping to the conclusion that that was his intent at all. My first post when i brought it up, i mentioned that i just thought it looked odd.

Im sure there was no bad intent and that there is a good explanation for his reaction, i.e. fatigue,knew for sure it wouldnt count by looking or glens reaction, or even imitating the actions of stern or even getting caught up in every white shirt raising they hand.

but it did look odd considering what goin on and you dont see that for a goal reaction too often
Hart for president

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2006, 02:11:27 PM »
oh no, i never jumping to the conclusion that that was his intent at all. My first post when i brought it up, i mentioned that i just thought it looked odd.

Im sure there was no bad intent and that there is a good explanation for his reaction, i.e. fatigue,knew for sure it wouldnt count by looking or glens reaction, or even imitating the actions of stern or even getting caught up in every white shirt raising they hand.

but it did look odd considering what goin on and you dont see that for a goal reaction too often

fair enough..much respek

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2006, 02:14:15 PM »

to me birchall always have that raised hand celebration..it could be that he was celebrating with he hand and then turn and see the asst. ref. give offside.. if anyone has a short clip of the dennis lawrence goal against panama in world cup qualifying i think chirs raises his hand in celebration (i not sure..i could be dead wrong on this which is y i asking for a clip)

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2006, 02:18:09 PM »
flex have the clip in the goals section..birchall raised his 2 hands to celebrate along with other players. i trying to find goals where other players on the team score than you could see birchall raise his hand

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2006, 02:22:14 PM »
carlos because he have de spanner

if allyuh remember de mexico game is when latas hit de man ah spanner iz when beat start to share
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2006, 02:26:10 PM »
It that clear cut ,I don"t know, it"s odd ,why would he do that that .I checked it about 20 times,he see"s the english player rise his hand then he rises his and looks over at the ass.ref.Thats not the way to convince a ref. that you scored .odd

Ps Kicker was right  ;D

1]; } ?>