April 24, 2024, 10:17:52 AM

Author Topic: Latapy is Falkirk's Teddy Sheringham.  (Read 4734 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Latapy is Falkirk's Teddy Sheringham.
« on: August 03, 2006, 10:56:16 AM »
Latapy is Falkirk's Teddy Sheringham.
By: Ewan Smith (Daily Record).

Russell Latapy was last night hailed as a football great in the Teddy Sheringham mould. The comparison between the Falkirk ace and the former England star was made by Dunfermline's Stephen Simmons.
Latapy - 38 yesterday - starred in the Bairns' 2-1 win over Dundee United in their SPL opener last weekend as well as getting on the scoresheet with a free-kick. John Hughes' side host the Pars this weekend and Simmons said: "I admire Russell a lot.
"I played against him when he was at Hibs and Rangers and even though he is getting older, he's still got great feet.
"I watched the highlights of the game against Dundee United and he ran the show and scored a fantastic goal.
"He has so many skills. His touch, passing and awareness are exceptional. He's great on the ball, rarely loses it and has the confidence to try any pass.
"Russell has played for some big clubs and has a lot of caps with Trinidad and Tobago so clearly the sort of guy I look forward to playing against.
"I read his World Cup Diary in Sports Record World Cup and he admitted he smokes a few fags a day. It's up to him what he does and if it works for him why should he stop?
"My best memory of him as a player was when I was just starting out at Hearts and he played against us for Hibs. He was absolutely brilliant, a player you want to sit back and admire.
"His touch was immaculate and he was always one step ahead of everyone on the park - and still is. He may have lost a yard or two in pace but it doesn't seem to affect his game at all.
"He's like Sheringham in that he's still quick upstairs so if his legs can't do the job his brain will.
"We'll need to get close to him and the rest of the Falkirk midfield because they are a very good passing side and will be determined to keep up their good start to season."
While Simmons is aware of the danger of Latapy, he also knows the clash with Falkirk could turn into a 90-minute scrap. A Falkirk-Dunfermline match may not attract the same attention as an Edinburgh derby, but the games always have added spice.
Simmons added: "I know the fans don't like each other and it will be the same as every derby. It's going to be a battle and you need to win the battle before you can win the match.
"We'll need to get stuck in and not let them play. The Old Firm, Edinburgh, and Dundee derbies and this one are all similar. You know you've to be fully committed to get three points."
Our Euro style will let me play on til i'm 40.
By: Anthony Haggerty (Daily Record).
[/size]

Bairns ace  won't hand up boots - Latapy is happier than ever at Falkirk.
Russell Latapy should be winding down his football career but the 38-year-old insists he can play on and on. The little Magician ought to be passing on tips and tricks to a team in the lower divisions full of starry-eyed hopefuls this season.
However, Latapy is defying both time and logic as he continues to dazzle his SPL opponents every week with Falkirk.
For those who believe Latapy can't still kick it or hack it at the top they should watch a DVD of the Bairns' first two games this season.
There wasn't a better player on the park in either game but a modest Latapy insists it's all down to the style his team plays.
And he reckons it will allow him to play on a bit longer and even turn out in the top flight when he's 40.
He said: "John Hughes is trying to get Falkirk to play a passing game and that suits my style as it is a more European type of football.
"That is the reason I'm having fun and I'll continue to play as long as my body allows me to."
It was Latapy's intention to retire after this summer's World Cup finals with Trinidad and Tobago before changing his mind.
He insists he would never cheat his manager or the Falkirk fans but as long as he's making a positive contribution he'll stick around.
Latapy said: "Finishing after the World Cup would have been the perfect way to end my career.
"But Falkirk don't have the biggest squad and I'm still needed to do my bit which I'm happy to do.
"Falkirk don't want to just bring jersey-fillers to the club. We want quality players and until we can do that I'll have to play on.
"My body will tell me when it is time to go and I've said that the past four seasons. If it allows me to then maybe I will be okay to continue playing until I am 40.
"It is a lot easier to have fun when the team you play for are enjoying a decent run of results.
"It gets more difficult when you are struggling every week as it is a lot harder to go out express yourself.
"I am not scared to give football up as I will always play the game - even if it is on a Sunday or just with my mates.
"But I know I can still do it at this level so why give up? I truly love the game and I am still trying to make a positive contribution.
"As long as I can help the team and bring on the youngsters then I will do that.
"I would never cheat myself or the team - especially Yogi."
Hughes was the man who handed Latapy the chance to coach at Falkirk when he quit Tannadice two seasons ago and was about to be lost to the game altogether.
Latapy revealed he gets a real buzz from coaching - almost as much as he does from playing.
He has even uprooted his young family from Newton Mearns and moved to Falkirk in an effort to get closer to the action.
Latapy said: "I thought that when I left Dundee United I was going to quit football altogether but Yogi gave me the chance to continue playing and gain some experience in coaching.
"I am really enjoying the coaching aspect at the moment. I take the first team, the reserves and the kids and I'm loving it.
"I want to continue coaching here and I know Yogi is currently busy trying to get players in who will take the club forward.
"When he does that I might decide it's time to concentrate on the coaching but I can still hack it at this level.
"For the past three seasons I have been travelling 75 minutes every day to get to training which works out at two-and-a-half hours added on to your day.
"I thought that it would be much easier and in case of emergencies if I stayed in Falkirk - especially as I now have a young baby.
"I am only 10 minutes away from the stadium now. I roll out of bed and by 9.30am I have had breakfast and walked the dog and I'm ready for training." He may be 38 but there's plenty of life left in this old dog yet.
Yogi hopes youngsters can learn from Latapy the artist.
By: Alan Fairley (The Scotsman).

For the second week in succession, the mercurial genius of Russell Latapy guided Falkirk to three points, the Bairns' home victory over bitter rivals Dunfermline taking them to the unfamiliar higher echelons of the SPL.
The former Hibs midfielder orchestrated play in the manner of a symphony conductor, just as had been the case in the win over Dundee United at Tannadice. Manager John Hughes, recognising that the Caribbean star is, sadly, not immortal, has now challenged the young midfielders at Falkirk to learn from Latapy's influence and to take over the mantle which he presently holds.
"Russell has great self-belief," enthused Yogi after the game, "he's always willing to help his team-mates and I keep telling the youngsters at the club to appreciate him and learn from him.
"When I went to Celtic as a player I made sure I learned from the great players who were there at the time and I keep stressing to the young lads here that they have to do the same.
"Russell is playing superbly just now but we're not a one-man band. I want guys like Patrick Cregg and Liam Craig to show me that they can take over from him when the time comes."
Cregg was equally outstanding in the Bairns midfield against the Pars, particularly during the first half, when Falkirk were a country mile ahead of Dunfermline in terms of possession, the Irishman's tenacious enthusiasm complementing the delicate touches of the Trinidad and Tobago legend.
For all the pretty pictures which the Bairns created as they passed the ball across the turf though, their only tangible reward at half-time was a headed goal from defender Darren Barr, the youngster's striker being assisted by a perfectly placed corner from - who else? - Latapy.
Remarkably, it was the visitors who had the best scoring chance of the first 45 minutes. Stephen Simmons released Mark Burchill only for the former Celtic front man to blast his effort high over the bar when a goal appeared inevitable.
A different pattern emerged after the interval as the deterioration in Falkirk's passing game coincided with the petrol gauge on the Latapy dashboard edging towards empty. Burchill again came close, squandering a chance to equalise when he headed over from close range.
Falkirk held on for a welcome home victory, something it had taken them nearly nine months to achieve last season.
"It's great to have maximum points and to be up near the top of the league," said a delighted Hughes.
"I'm disappointed we didn't score more goals in the first half. We were under pressure after the interval when our passing went astray, but our defence coped well and they'll take confidence from achieving a clean sheet.
"We started to regain our shape towards the end of the game and some of the keep-ball we played was great to watch."
Match-winner Barr was naturally ecstatic at getting his name on the score sheet, especially since he couldn't recall when he last hit the net.
"I don't think I've scored a goal since primary school," said Barr, "but the main thing was to record a home win at this early stage of proceedings, especially after last season when we didn't manage a victory in front of our own fans until April."
Pars boss Jim Leishman was disappointed at the outcome, stressing the need to bring in support for Burchill in the front line.
"Mark needs to have a big guy playing alongside him" said Leishman, "and that's something I'll be looking at.
He added: "Falkirk put us under the cosh early on but we had some great chances and I'm disappointed that we took nothing from the game."
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 07:13:59 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Latapy is Falkirk's Teddy Sheringham
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 11:08:46 AM »
Tallman, yuh doh make dis ting easy at all yuh know horse... I got to see somewhat reputable coaches telling me that Russell Latas has lost a pace or two but it doesn't affect his game still because of skill.  "A pace or Two" that is why a man "supposedly" get a Cobo sweat... because of a pace or two? This vendetta ting, now knowing dem 2 man is Leo (sign) and probably clash, getting more support.  Whey Superman when yuh need him. He did it for Louis Lane when she did dead, I wonder if he could go back in time for TnT?  We coulda fire him before de England game.. Dat would help out the Crouch - Sancho situation as well. We woulda tell Sancho too tie up dem dreads better.....This is soccer, a man would pulldown a guy by he piggyleeks if it would get him de ball quicker...
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline sprog

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 02:05:35 PM »
Trust mih Latas in a class by himself

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Latapy is Falkirk's Teddy Sheringham.
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 03:30:41 PM »
It funny dat man comparing Latas with  Sheringham and dais de man Yorke want to be compared with in terms of longevity.

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 07:10:47 PM »
In my generation....I think that is greatest footballer that has ever played the game in Trinidad
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 05:38:23 PM »
We coulda fire him before de England game..

Right...we woulda fire the man who get us to the world cup right after he take us to earn a historic point against Sweden down 10 men for half the match just before we biggest game of the tournament...  ::)

But of course, I forget where I am. To see Latas play more some men here woulda be ready to drop everybody else off the team...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 06:34:46 PM »
In my generation....I think that is greatest footballer that has ever played the game in Trinidad

Easily...
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

1]; } ?>