April 28, 2024, 02:06:05 AM

Author Topic: Band together and support Soca Warriors  (Read 2661 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Band together and support Soca Warriors
« on: April 28, 2005, 07:55:52 AM »
By Avalene Harris (Trinidad Guardian)

There’s a new wristband on the market, and it is all in support of the national football team, the Warriors.

The idea to produce the Soca Warriors wristbands came from two football enthusiasts who decided to do something in support of the team.

The duo (who did not want to be named in the story, for fear of their jobs being jeopardised) visited the Guardian’s St Vincent Street, Port-of-Spain office on April 13. They said that after the national team played USA on Ash Wednesday at Queen’s Park Oval, they thought the bands would be a great idea to increase moral support for the team.

“The team needs all the support we can give them. Although they lost to USA at that game, they still did well,” one said.

The yellow LiveStrong cancer wristbands, which were the first to begin the trend, were produced by US cyclist Lance Armstrong, a cancer survivor, as a fund-raising venture for cancer research.

They were followed by green (to help fund ovarian cancer research), pink (breast cancer research), blue (Formula 1 racing circuit accident victims), white (Unicef, in its fight against crime and violence) and black and white intertwined (Nike’s campaign to stop racism in football).

The local football wristbands are red, the national colour.

“We saw how much support the Lance Armstrong bands were receiving and thought that we could generate the same effect and more for the team,” said one of the band’s producers.

The project was officially endorsed by the T&T Football Federation. Part proceeds go to the federation and part towards administrative costs.

The avid fans also agreed that it was all about the passion for the game and love for the country.

“It was not only geared towards football support,” one said, “but was also produced for the preservation of our local culture.

“There are soca entertainers and other people in society who have contributed to our culture and they were impressed with the bands.

“They are also warriors for their culture as they fight for the art form.

“We want the team to make it to the World Cup, so there is a need to increase national pride.”

Shaun Fuentes, TTFF media officer, said it was an excellent initiative, adding that it was what was needed to stir up support.

“The young people, especially, find the bands to be a fashion statement and they can wear them and still give support,” he said, in a telephone interview on April 14.

He said when the duo approached the TTFF with the idea, he was impressed.

“With the bands being red, it was not focused on the national team, but also against the crime and violence in the country.

“We all need to be a warrior against that,” he added.

Fuentes said that there were also plans to introduce the bands internationally. “When they see the colour red they could automatically identify with Trinidad and personalities such as Machel, Lara and Yorke.”

He added that the entire football team was in possession of the bands.

Soca entertainer Maximus Dan, who sported the wristband at the Concacaf World Cup qualifying game against Costa Rica on March 30 at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, said wearing the band was patriotic.

“As travelling artistes, it is only when we go abroad do we learn to appreciate our own,” he said in a telephone interview on April 14.

Dan vows to go everywhere with the band and never take it off.

“Since I put it on, I have not taken it off, it is something that goes with me everywhere.

“If anyone should ask me what the red band stands for, I’ll be proud to tell them. I am a representative of the T&T republic.”

In a telephone interview, certified swim coach and Guardian columnist Anil Roberts praised the duo who produced the bands, saying that anything positive done to instil national pride among the people was commendable.

“I am behind them 100 per cent,” he said on April 14.

“Even if you cannot go to the games, you can show your support by wearing the band.

“We are all Soca Warriors in whatever we are trying to do, we need to come together,” he added.

“This is bigger than just football, it is T&T.”

The wristbands, which went on sale on April 22, will be available at a cost of $25, at Sports Outlet, Ellerslie Plaza and Gulf City Mall, La Romain.

Pink

(Strive for a Cure):
Breast cancer
research

Yellow

Lance Armstrong
LiveStrong

Red

Soca Warriors:
Endorsed by
the TTFF

White

(XChange):
Unicef in fight against
crime and violence

Just a few of the wrist bands that have become a fashion statement.

The official logo of the Soca Warriors also carries a patriotic pledge for all true-blood supporters.

The Soca Warrior wristband is in high demand as the national football team makes a valiant attempt to qualify for the 2006 Fifa World Cup in Germany.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Band together and support Soca Warriors
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 09:14:10 AM »
I want one bad i hope it comes to the states soon
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 04:38:07 PM »
I have mine already   dey sell it in sport outlet for $25

Offline BigToe

• Hero Warrior
  • Laaaaard, ah cyan take it no more
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 11:11:49 PM »
They still in 2003 or what...it's no longer SOCA WARRIORS

truetrini

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 11:30:58 PM »
tell dem buss toe

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 08:36:59 AM »
Say what de want is still Soca Warriors.

Offline BigToe

• Hero Warrior
  • Laaaaard, ah cyan take it no more
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 09:37:56 AM »
SOCA WARRIORS is a spinoff/copy of Reggae Boyz. JA coined the phrase first and we copied it. We should not want to copy anything Jamaican. T&T should be leaders not followers.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Warriors name
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 10:28:40 AM »
SOCA WARRIORS is a spinoff/copy of Reggae Boyz. JA coined the phrase first and we copied it. We should not want to copy anything Jamaican. T&T should be leaders not followers.

Anyhow yuh take it, de nickname not original because de Zimbabwean national football team is already called de Warriors.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 10:51:16 AM »

YOU "EFFING" MAD!!!!!  >:( >:( >:(

Man I was well pissed when Ja all of a sudden became reggae boys... why because we were Soca boys long before that ... just not officially...

so to me them rip we off... I remember clearly reading headlines referencing we as Soca Boys... as far back as 91 and right up to around 96-97. However when Ja gained prominence all that stopped... and we became Soca Warriors instead. Personally I don't mind... but to say we copy them .. STEUPS!! >:(

Anybody could back meh up here?
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 11:54:03 AM »

yea FF,
Men forget we was more prominent than JA up to recently and to think we only now start associating soca with the team is not true.

If anything is a spin off I think is more off of references to the Samba Boyz

JA didn't reinvent the wheel with their name so it ain't that original.

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 04:57:08 AM »
They still in 2003 or what...it's no longer SOCA WARRIORS

Those bands were printed before the name change. Jack only decided with his infinite wisdom to drop to Soca after the USA game. Those bands were already in circulation
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

1]; } ?>