April 26, 2024, 12:19:59 AM

Poll

Should T&T add a toll booth to the highway.

No
6 (40%)
Yes
7 (46.7%)
Give it a try
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Traffic & Accident Thread  (Read 94536 times)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Highways and Roadways in T&T Thread.
« Reply #420 on: April 21, 2015, 11:05:51 AM »
PNM's proposal to alleviate our daily transportation woes. I support this.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/S9KECyunSuU&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/S9KECyunSuU&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: April 21, 2015, 11:31:00 AM »
Another route is needed out of Chaguaramas. A few weeks ago...I spent 6 hours in stand still traffic for little to no reason. But I think I've heard this causeway plan before..... ::)

There is no way the rate of building roads would keep pace with the rate at which cars come on the roads. Some years ago in school I read a study on Singapore's traffic management plan. The guiding principle was that you make public transportation convenient and readily available at all times while making having or driving your own car inconvenient.

So while the "causeway" would be a good idea, especially with that outlay needed to build it, I'd be in favor of it being a route that has a toll applied to it. One can encourage a park and ride system as well, but just building it wouldnt be as effective as it could be.

The rapid rail is a good idea in principle but the question is what happens to the maxis and taxis that ply the existing routes. Are the rails going to follow existing routes? I'd especially see this being applicable along the East West Corridor and Sando/POS.  And probably in tandem with an expanded water taxi to Sando from Point Fortin.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 21, 2015, 03:37:11 PM »
It is obvious that taxi will have to adjust with the RR. They will, hopefully, be the feeder service to the trains. All these cars will not be heading to town to drop off people. POS is a bottleneck. Both the causeway and RR are some expensive projects., though. I see the RR are being able to serve the EW and NS corridors. Sando, Central, Grande, Arima, the Piarco airport. The causeway wil serve just that small area in the north west peninsula. I am not against it, but nationwide public transport is badly needed.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 21, 2015, 04:37:28 PM »
Many countries automatically increase tax on petrol (gas) each year in their budget. This creates a culture of only using cars when necessary. People learn to car pool and there is an increased demand for public transport.

In T&T, part of the cost of Rapid Rail could be recovered through reducing the gas subsidy. Incentives for newer maxis could be introduced and regulations introduced to test cars roadworthyness each year, to remove old, unsafe vehicles from the roads. Only licensed taxis should be allowed, painted in distinctive colours like maxis or New York or London cabs. (Yes, I know many people rely on this income, but many unlicensed "taxis" are not particularly safe.)

It would take some tough measures to reduce the number of cars on our roads, but unless we do something soon, we will face constant gridlock.

We MUST have a rail system and PTSC must be run as a business instead of a government charity. If you owned a bus company and the T&T national team were playing at Ato Boldon, first thing you would do would be to announce shuttles from Couva & Chaguanas to and from the game. PTSC are not in the business of business!!

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 21, 2015, 06:54:34 PM »
I drive from Arima to Port of Spain everyday and i work downtown, if there is a reliable train service available I will probably go from 5 to 1 day a week driving once the weather is good.

Longer lifespan for my car, i won't hesitate to buy property further east or south given the ease of commute.

This cannot come fast enough.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: April 22, 2015, 01:46:27 AM »

A rail system is for now the only solution.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 22, 2015, 05:40:42 AM »
Chief executive officer of Royal Dutch Shell Ben Van Beurden only make €24.2 million for 2014

Daiz alot of bread Deeks....
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 22, 2015, 05:47:04 AM »
Chief executive officer of Royal Dutch Shell Ben Van Beurden only make €24.2 million for 2014

Daiz alot of bread Deeks....

Breds, I did not realize the sacarsm. Yes indeed, that is a lot of dough! man 24 mill!!!!!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: April 22, 2015, 08:25:21 AM »
I drive from Arima to Port of Spain everyday and i work downtown, if there is a reliable train service available I will probably go from 5 to 1 day a week driving once the weather is good.

Longer lifespan for my car, i won't hesitate to buy property further east or south given the ease of commute.

This cannot come fast enough.

CO-SIGNNNNNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 22, 2015, 05:19:08 PM »
Many European countries automatically increase tax on petrol (gas) each year in their budget.

Fixed it for you.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: April 22, 2015, 07:14:22 PM »
Many European countries automatically increase tax on petrol (gas) each year in their budget.

Fixed it for you.

This has to be a real gradual thing (removing the subsidy). I remember the last time diesel was increased by 10% everything in Trinidad went up by 10 to 15%.
The distributers and manufacturers claimed a knock on effect from an increased cost in transport and passed it on to the public.

Now we have a little more competition in the marklet place but there are still big commodity controllers.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 23, 2015, 08:54:41 AM »
It clearly cost them a great deal with the feasibility study so I know the present government is not going to go down that route but then again the opposition is saying that they will go forward with it if they regain power etc... but I don't see much else they can do other than to build a rail system to alleviate the congestion that is presently being experienced on the E/W corridor.

The PBR is jam packed so I'm not sure if buying more CNG buses is going to help if that's the option they are proposing.

Just my 2cents... If rapid rail was too costly then look into a light rail or possibly a light to medium capacity at grade metro system. For the metro it could be elevated at points along the route where it would be costly to acquire land.

Focus should be placed on the the EW corridor then MAYBE in the future the N/S. For now they can make do with the water taxi system as their alternative mode of transportation. If another pier is put up in central then buses and maxi's could feed passengers to those the terminals in south, central and town.

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 23, 2015, 09:54:23 AM »
It's all about improving the flow of traffic/people along the entire corridor. Upgrading the CRH to a full grade separated freeway is all well and good and I applaud it but building more roads will not solve the problem either. There needs to be an increase in the use of a safe and efficient public transit system. That option must be available to the people if there is to be a decrease in car ridership.

I've seen mentioned in a newspaper a comparison by minister Cadiz with New York which is outrageous. A better comparison would be with Lausanne, Switzerland which has a population of ~ 300,000 and has a metro system or Rennes, France. Still a tricky comparison but much better in terms of scale. I believe the E/W has a population of ~ 600,000-700,000 so that's a good amount of people and if we could get at least 50% train ridership that could make a difference.

Buses could be used both on the PBR and separately to shuttle passengers to nearby stations in local communities.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 07:24:10 AM by Trini1 »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 24, 2015, 04:28:34 AM »
It's all about improving the flow of traffic/people along the entire corridor. Upgrading the CRH to a full grade separated freeway is all well and good and I applaud it but building more roads will not solve the problem either. There needs to be an increase in the use of a safe and efficient public transit system. That option must be available to the people if there is to be a decrease in car ridership.

I've seen mentioned in the a newspaper a comparison by minister Cadiz with New York which is outrageous. A better comparison would be with Lausanne, Switzerland which has a population of ~ 300,000 and has a metro system or Rennes, France. Still a tricky comparison but much better in terms of scale. I believe the E/W has a population of ~ 600,000-700,000 so that's a good amount of people and if we could get at least 50% train ridership that could make a difference.

Buses could be used both on the PBR and separately to shuttle passengers to nearby stations in local communities.

Breds, you too smart for your own good!

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 24, 2015, 07:56:50 AM »
Lol Deeks I sorta like transportation too much.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: April 24, 2015, 09:29:16 AM »

I see that. I myself have this love for trains. I live part of by boyhood in St.Joseph, Tunapuna and Five Rivers. I talking about the 60s. So we used the train on the EW corridor regularly. People used to take the train for granted. Lots of people did not used to pay. As this was more a communter rail than metro, people used to dodge the ticket guards to avoid paying. The TTR was losing money big time. But the rail service was already winding down while the Brits were still at home.  Road transport was increasing. I was also told that the businesses that controlled the vehicular mode of transportation encouraged the then PNM govt to ditch the rail for bus and taxsi. Neal and Massey and Amalgamated  were the big assembly plants. It created employment for plenty mechanics, welders, painters, upholsterers, electricians. I worked at PTSC assembley plant tool room, before coming up to the states. Then came Trinity motors and Amars motor empire. Cars, Cars, cars. That is how it ended up like this.

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: April 25, 2015, 06:55:31 AM »

I see that. I myself have this love for trains. I live part of by boyhood in St.Joseph, Tunapuna and Five Rivers. I talking about the 60s. So we used the train on the EW corridor regularly. People used to take the train for granted. Lots of people did not used to pay. As this was more a communter rail than metro, people used to dodge the ticket guards to avoid paying. The TTR was losing money big time. But the rail service was already winding down while the Brits were still at home.  Road transport was increasing. I was also told that the businesses that controlled the vehicular mode of transportation encouraged the then PNM govt to ditch the rail for bus and taxsi. Neal and Massey and Amalgamated  were the big assembly plants. It created employment for plenty mechanics, welders, painters, upholsterers, electricians. I worked at PTSC assembley plant tool room, before coming up to the states. Then came Trinity motors and Amars motor empire. Cars, Cars, cars. That is how it ended up like this.

That's that history right there. Really like to hear about that man. Just wonder what things would be like had the trains remained. I've looked at some of the videos on YouTube I didn't dream of being born yet lol.

That's one of the reasons I'm hoping PNM comes into power- to see if they keep to their word and build this thing. My only hope is that they continue building the highway down south.

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 25, 2015, 06:56:11 AM »

That's that history right there. Really like to hear about that man. Just wonder what things would be like had the trains remained. I've looked at some of the videos on YouTube I didn't dream of being born yet lol.

That's one of the reasons I'm hoping PNM comes into power- to see if they keep to their word and build this thing. My only hope is that they continue building the highway down south.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #438 on: April 25, 2015, 02:44:53 PM »
we had a train system and pnm took it away, so this is no new idea, the question is will they ever do it and talk is cheap...

if PP gets re elected they should build it or if the baliser boys and girls return, because the nation needs it and individual praise or praise for a certain party is not important, the citizens needed this a while ago...

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: April 25, 2015, 03:18:57 PM »
we had a train system and pnm took it away, so this is no new idea, the question is will they ever do it and talk is cheap...

if PP gets re elected they should build it or if the baliser boys and girls return, because the nation needs it and individual praise or praise for a certain party is not important, the citizens needed this a while ago...

You late. The PP already rejected the rapid rail proposal and said they will not implement rapid rail.

Rapid rail was in the PNM 2010 manifesto

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #440 on: June 14, 2015, 07:39:49 AM »
Vinci/Lutchmeesingh to share $400m Curepe Interchange project
By Renuka Singh (Guardian)

The $400 million Curepe Interchange project is expected to start within the next 30 days, with Nidco choosing to jointly award the contract for the project to the two top bidders following a public falling out over the tendering process late last year.

Former junior minister in the Ministry of Works and Infrastructure Stacy Roopnarine had fallen out with her boss Dr Suruj Rambachan, after it was revealed then that local contractor, Lutchmeesingh Transport Company had been selected for the job though it ranked second in the tender screening process. It was revealed that first-ranked bidder Vinci Construction lost out because of its high costing for the mega-job.

The Sunday Guardian has since learned that though Lutchmeesingh was selected, Nidco-based engineers objected on the basis that the company’s tender contained several shortcomings.

However, in fresh developments, Nidco has decided to award the project jointly to the two top bidders. “We are currently in negotiations with the first and second bidder,” Nidco chairman Dr Carson Charles confirmed.

There is no word as to what prompted these fresh negotiations or who made the call to have the job shared between the two top-ranked bidders, but Charles confirmed that the project would be offered to both contractors, after months of the project being on hold and talks of quashing the bid and restarting the tender process.

Back in November, it was reported that the two top bidders had been rejected on the basis of price and expertise, respectively. Charles confirmed to the Sunday Guardian that Nidco’s engineering team had found that several major items were not catered for in the tender submitted by Lutchmeesingh, leading to Nidco overturning that company’s selection for the project previously.

Nidco had been reported then as weighing additional options to get the job done.

The tenure of Nidco’s board ended in December 2014 and left the future of the Curepe Interchange in limbo. Charles had said then that he expected the project to be finalised and awarded by January 2015 but, almost six months later, the project remained stalled.

“We could not come to an agreement with Vinci Construction based on the cost of its tender and with Lutchmeesingh, the negotiation committee was not convinced that they had the ability to complete the job,” Charles said.

“Quite frankly, there were three contractors selected and we were not satisfied with any.”

Despite Charles’ misgivings, the project is expected to come before the Nidco executive within the next month and awarded soon after.

“We are seeking to work out a solution so that we can use the specific expertise from both companies,” Charles said.

The project is expected to be completed 18 months after it begins.

Other projects

Key among the projects to be completed at a rapid rate is the now 50 per cent completed billion-dollar highway to Point Fortin. The Sunday Guardian has learned that Nidco is now in talks with all major road contractors, including Junior Sammy, Seereram Brothers and Lutchmeesingh, for them to work as a unit to complete the road works in conjunction with Brazil-based OAS Construction, which controls the project.

“So much is going on at Nidco,” Charles said.

“We are currently in talks with the major contractors in the country to sub-contract the work on the Point Fortin highway and complete that project by next year,” he said.

He said that Rambachan was expected to open a bridge in Claxton Bay today and has plans for another 20 bridges within the next few months.

Nidco has also started work on landslips around the country and has been given a five-year mandate to work on some 600 landslips, as well as several drainage projects under the Ministry of the Environment and Water Resources.

Charles said another big project—the Diego Martin Interchange—was expected to be tabled soon.

“That project is currently at the design stage and is with the consultant,” Charles said.

Charles said Nidco was also at the execution stage of the Port-of-Spain flood alleviation project which has been funded by the Inter-American Development Bank for well over half-a-billion dollars.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sandra Bland traffic stop (Raw Uncut)
« Reply #441 on: July 28, 2015, 08:06:30 PM »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/URAZ3umt7v0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/URAZ3umt7v0</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wlWHY2ZkZcs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wlWHY2ZkZcs</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Sandra Bland traffic stop (Raw Uncut)
« Reply #442 on: July 30, 2015, 04:49:33 AM »
what a huge miscarriage of justice by the cop its almost as if he wanted her to bow and when she refused to stroke his ego he became an overseer in an instant. quite a few of these yankee bobbies appear to have a god complex and this confrontation could have easily been quelled if the flat foot had any communication skills or proper training on how to deescalate conflicts that could normally be a none issue in the end. sometimes i wonder what am i doing here in this country. since i have been here there was nothing but cop killings on people of color. i would be lying if i said i wasnt afraid of these gun toting law men.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Traffic-related pollution study in T&T reveals high levels of black carbon
« Reply #443 on: November 29, 2018, 09:24:46 AM »
First study of traffic-related pollution in Trinidad and Tobago reveals high levels of black carbon
By Liz Do, University of Toronto Engineering News

Air pollution in Point Lisas, a major industrial area in Trinidad and Tobago. (Photo courtesy of Kerolyn Shairsingh)

A new U of T Engineering study has measured significant concentrations of traffic-related air pollution near major roadways in Trinidad, reaching levels comparable to highways in Toronto and Detroit.

This is the first study of local emissions conducted on the two islands of Trinidad and Tobago, which was led by Kerolyn Shairsingh (ChemE 0T8, PhD 1T8) under the supervision of Professor Greg Evans (ChemE). The team focused primarily on the airborne pollutant black carbon — also known as soot — which has been linked to negative health outcomes including lung conditions and cancer. Their findings were recently published in the journal Science of the Total Environment.

Shairsingh, who is from Trinidad and Tobago, said she was motivated to research local concentrations of black carbon after years of experiencing asthma attacks every time she travelled back home.

“I have nephews who also have asthma. Sometimes they can’t go outside and play because they would be wheezing,” said Shairsingh. “I always knew that the air quality was poor, but nobody monitors any air quality here at all.”

When she visited home in February 2018, she decided to take air-quality monitoring equipment with her. Shairsingh set up 10 monitoring sites across Trinidad and Tobago over a three-week period, including near oil and gas refineries, urban residences, and major roads including highways and bus routes.

Shairsingh at one of the 10 air-quality monitoring sites she set up across Trinidad and Tobago.

She found that levels of black carbon around industrial areas on the islands were elevated to levels comparable to Ontario Highway 401, North America’s busiest highway. And levels near major roads in Trinidad were significantly higher.

“That’s what shocked me — that it’s actually traffic that is more of the culprit than the industries here, at least for this particular pollutant,” says Shairsingh.

One site, a commercial area in Trinidad with frequent sidewalk traffic, showed black-carbon levels 1.1-times higher than Health Canada’s proposed limit for long-term black-carbon exposure. Long-term exposure to black carbon has been shown to pose health risks such as asthma, respiratory infections, lung cancer, strokes and cardiovascular mortality.

Shairsingh points out that the major source of black carbon is diesel exhaust. At half the price of gasoline, diesel fuel is prevalent in many of the half-million vehicles driven daily in Trinidad and Tobago.

Although the country passed air pollution legislation in 2014, Shairsingh points out that the guidelines were mostly geared towards industry. “There’s nothing for the monitoring of vehicles at all,” she says.

Shairsingh hopes this study into local emissions will be the first step towards improving the air quality, either through cleaner fuel sources or through retrofitting of large vehicles such as buses and trucks.

Shairsingh is also working on a documentary, Clearing the Air, to further spread awareness of the issue among the residents of Trinidad and Tobago and beyond.

“While I suspected that the air quality was bad in Trinidad, I had no idea that traffic was one of the main culprits,” says Shairsingh. “This paper is one way to spread the news, and the documentary is another avenue to showcase this issue. Until people are aware, there will be no drive for change.”

The documentary will feature interviews in Trinidad and Tobago as well as Canada, including with Evans, who leads the Southern Ontario Centre for Atmospheric Aerosol Research (SOCAAR) at U of T. In addition to Shairsingh’s study, researchers at SOCAAR have recently released their findings on near-road air pollution in Toronto and Vancouver, and on the emerging issue of non-exhaust emissions from brakes, tires and road dust.

To access the original article click on title.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Highways in T&T Thread.
« Reply #444 on: February 16, 2020, 10:54:58 AM »
50 farmers, homeowners to make way for CR highway extension
By Shaliza Hassanali (Guardian).

Con­struc­tion of the pro­posed mul­ti-mil­lion-dol­lar Churchill-Roo­sevelt High­way ex­ten­sion to San­gre Grande by the Na­tion­al In­fra­struc­ture De­vel­op­ment Com­pa­ny (NID­CO) is not sit­ting well with some Waller­field farm­ers who will have to find land to con­tin­ue their liveli­hood when they are giv­en no­tices to leave.

More than 50 farm­ers and home­own­ers will have to be re­moved to make way for the high­way.

The farm­ers, who said the Gov­ern­ment was giv­ing them a raw deal as they are now forced to hunt for al­ter­na­tive ac­com­mo­da­tion, be­lieve it is a to­tal dis­re­spect to their pro­fes­sion.

At a meet­ing with res­i­dents and farm­ers late last year, a pam­phlet bear­ing a map and de­tails of the new route was cir­cu­lat­ed by NID­CO.

The project in­volves sev­er­al pack­ages which will be done in phas­es—work starts this month and is ex­pect­ed to be com­plet­ed by 2025.

Phase one is a 14-kilo­me­tre sec­tion of the high­way which is ful­ly de­signed. It starts with an in­ter­change at Cu­mu­to Road and ends with an­oth­er in­ter­change at the To­co Main Road. There would al­so be the con­struc­tion of an over­pass over the East­ern Main Road in San­gre Grande.

Phase one con­sists of a 5,000-me­tre seg­ment from Cu­mu­to to San­gre Grande run­ning in a west to east di­rec­tion—it is ap­prox­i­mate­ly 120 me­tres south of and runs par­al­lel to the bound­ary of the en­vi­ron­men­tal­ly sen­si­tive Aripo Sa­van­nas, ap­prox­i­mate­ly 300 me­tres east of Cu­mu­to Road and 600 me­tres west of Guaico Trace, San­gre Grande.

A new four-lane dual car­riage­way from the ex­ist­ing in­ter­sec­tion of the Churchill-Roo­sevelt High­way and Cu­mu­to Road will be built and sev­er­al riv­er cross­ings and box cul­verts will al­so be con­struct­ed.

Farm­ers have no say—Bowen

Live­stock farmer Wayne Bowen said they were told by NID­CO that Gov­ern­ment need­ed their lands for the mega project.

An ex­ec­u­tive mem­ber of the Waller­field Farm­ers’ and Al­lied Wel­fare As­so­ci­a­tion, Bowen said an as­sess­ment was yet to be done on their land.

He said plans were be­ing made with­out the farm­ers' in­volve­ment or hav­ing a say.

"They do­ing what they have to do and then com­ing to talk to us. There has been no con­sul­ta­tion. We were told af­ter an as­sess­ment is made by the Gov­ern­ment we would be paid for our prop­er­ties and we have to move out. They are not go­ing to re­lo­cate us.

"So, I have to find land to con­tin­ue my farm. I am not in agree­ment with this.

"Why they can’t find a place for us?"

The farm­ers have been earn­ing their liveli­hood on agri­cul­tur­al lands leased to them by the State for decades.

He said dozens of farm­ers' lands in­clud­ing some homes are in the di­rect path of the high­way and they would have to move out.

Bowen said an in­ter­change will be built on Nicaragua Road where he rears live­stock on his eight-acre par­cel of land.

"Don't tell me you de­vel­op­ing the coun­try and I am go­ing to be left be­hind. At the end of the day, when they build this high­way all the rich folks will come around and buy up all the land and they will ben­e­fit.

"No­body is go­ing to push noth­ing down my throat be­cause I will rebel. If they deal with me fair­ly, I am the most peace­ful and lov­ing per­son. But don’t come and tell me I have to move and I had to hunt for a new place. That is a recipe for stress and peo­ple to lose their cool."

Bowen said he will not let the Gov­ern­ment "rail­road" him.

He said if the Gov­ern­ment need­ed his land, they would have to find al­ter­na­tive ac­com­mo­da­tion for him.

Bowen gave up his sec­ondary school ed­u­ca­tion to pur­sue farm­ing which he has been do­ing for 51 years.

"Rear­ing live­stock is all I know. A man my age would have to be run­ning around like a head­less chick­en to lo­cate a place. Nah man...We are wait­ing for the next step."

Bowen said he had sug­gest­ed an­oth­er route which NID­CO could have used to avoid dis­rupt­ing the farm­ers’ lives, but his con­sid­er­a­tion was ig­nored.

'Noth­ing should stand in the way of progress'

Live­stock farmer David El­lis, how­ev­er, shared a dif­fer­ent view, stat­ing that farm­ers should not stand in the way of progress.

"50 peo­ple can­not hold back 50,000 peo­ple. I am try­ing to en­cour­age farm­ers not to protest or re­sist but to try and get the best val­u­a­tion and pack­age pos­si­ble to have an easy tran­si­tion."

El­lis said they heard Gov­ern­ment will give them a list of recog­nised val­u­a­tors to have their prop­er­ties eval­u­at­ed.

"That is why I in­tend to get an in­de­pen­dent val­u­a­tor to en­sure what is giv­en to me is eq­ui­table and fair. I am try­ing my best to en­cour­age the farm­ers to look at it from a pos­i­tive stand­point. It is gov­ern­ment's land."

While some farm­ers pre­ferred re­lo­ca­tion, El­lis said such a move can be un­fair to an in­di­vid­ual.

"The Gov­ern­ment can shift you to an area you do not like or where it floods. To me, it is bet­ter you find your own place.”

In light of the new de­vel­op­ment, El­lis said a small group of farm­ers have since re­tained the ser­vices of an at­tor­ney who has been ad­vis­ing them.

"We don't know when we will be giv­en no­tices. Based on feed­back, it is sup­posed to be served some­where near the end of Feb­ru­ary to March."

He es­ti­mat­ed that rough­ly 50 farms and house­holds in Waller­field will be af­fect­ed.

"I per­son­al­ly hope they come for the land be­cause farm­ing in Trinidad is a strug­gle."

El­lis has been oc­cu­py­ing a 13-acre par­cel for years

The land, he in­sist­ed, is not suit­ed for cul­ti­vat­ing crops.

'It's to­tal­ly un­fair'

The as­so­ci­a­tion’s pres­i­dent, Lisa Perez, who rep­re­sents 500 farm­ers, sees the move by NID­CO as to­tal­ly un­fair.

Perez said the farm­ers were hop­ing for a con­sul­ta­tion with NID­CO which they are yet to see.

"We had a meet­ing in Coryal which was out of the way for the farm­ers. Many could not at­tend. All the ques­tions we put to NID­CO they did not an­swer."

She said she in­tends to hold a meet­ing soon with the farm­ers to de­ter­mine how many will be ad­verse­ly af­fect­ed be­cause the num­bers keep go­ing up.

"There are not on­ly farm­ers along the Cu­mu­to Road who will have to move out. Yes­ter­day, we heard oth­er farm­ers along the Churchill-Roo­sevelt High­way go­ing in­to Block Three as well as some farm­ers on Ja­cob Hill will be af­fect­ed al­so."

Perez said the fact that they have to find al­ter­na­tive ac­com­mo­da­tion meant they will be fight­ing up on their own to con­tin­ue their trade.

"The mar­ket val­ue of prop­er­ties to­day is above $1 mil­lion. I don’t know if we will be ad­e­quate­ly com­pen­sat­ed. That is my con­cern. I think it is dis­re­spect. They dis­re­spect­ed us. Like every­thing else, it's di­vide and con­quer. I think they are play­ing on that be­cause farm­ers don’t un­der­stand the mar­ket val­ue of prop­er­ties. I think they want to take ad­van­tage of them. Of course, I am dis­sat­is­fied."

Sinanan: EMA will have a con­sul­ta­tion with farm­ers

Works and Trans­port Min­is­ter Ro­han Sinanan, un­der whose purview NID­CO falls, told Guardian Me­dia the Gov­ern­ment would re­quire some lands for the con­struc­tion of the high­way.

"That is just part of the process. A val­ue on the land will be de­ter­mined on the land ac­quired and eq­ui­table com­pen­sa­tion will be hand­ed out. At the end of the day, you can­not keep back the progress of a coun­try be­cause some­body may have sen­ti­men­tal ties to some­thing. If it is a farm and you make a liv­ing, you put in a claim for that. There is a val­ue to that."

She said she in­tends to hold a meet­ing soon with the farm­ers to de­ter­mine how many will be ad­verse­ly af­fect­ed be­cause the num­bers keep go­ing up.

"There are not on­ly farm­ers along the Cu­mu­to Road who will have to move out. Yes­ter­day, we heard oth­er farm­ers along the Churchill-Roo­sevelt High­way go­ing in­to Block Three as well as some farm­ers on Ja­cob Hill will be af­fect­ed al­so."

Perez said the fact that they have to find al­ter­na­tive ac­com­mo­da­tion meant they will be fight­ing up on their own to con­tin­ue their trade.

"The mar­ket val­ue of prop­er­ties to­day is above $1 mil­lion. I don’t know if we will be ad­e­quate­ly com­pen­sat­ed. That is my con­cern. I think it is dis­re­spect. They dis­re­spect­ed us. Like every­thing else, it's di­vide and con­quer. I think they are play­ing on that be­cause farm­ers don’t un­der­stand the mar­ket val­ue of prop­er­ties. I think they want to take ad­van­tage of them. Of course, I am dis­sat­is­fied."

Sinanan: EMA will have a con­sul­ta­tion with farm­ers

Works and Trans­port Min­is­ter Ro­han Sinanan, un­der whose purview NID­CO falls, told Guardian Me­dia the Gov­ern­ment would re­quire some lands for the con­struc­tion of the high­way.

"That is just part of the process. A val­ue on the land will be de­ter­mined on the land ac­quired and eq­ui­table com­pen­sa­tion will be hand­ed out. At the end of the day, you can­not keep back the progress of a coun­try be­cause some­body may have sen­ti­men­tal ties to some­thing. If it is a farm and you make a liv­ing, you put in a claim for that. There is a val­ue to that."

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

1]; } ?>