April 26, 2024, 10:11:44 PM

Poll

Should T&T add a toll booth to the highway.

No
6 (40%)
Yes
7 (46.7%)
Give it a try
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Traffic & Accident Thread  (Read 94557 times)

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
Re: Carnage on T&T Roads
« Reply #330 on: January 24, 2011, 09:42:29 AM »
Ah like how whole weekend she was he girlfriend.  By Monday morning she was his "friend".....hhhhmmmm ah have some theories eh, but....let me not shake the jep nest.....

Condolences to all related to this tragedy.....NEXT!!!!

Next thing you will be doubting that he leave a fete to go home to "feed dogs" at 3.00 in the morning, before dropping her home. Them dogs obviously couldn't survive the extra 2 hours it woulda take to go Central and come back.

But I digress. Again, my condolences.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 24, 2011, 09:54:08 AM »
Ah like how whole weekend she was he girlfriend.  By Monday morning she was his "friend".....hhhhmmmm ah have some theories eh, but....let me not shake the jep nest.....

Next thing you will be doubting that he leave a fete to go home to "feed dogs" at 3.00 in the morning, before dropping her home. Them dogs obviously couldn't survive the extra 2 hours it woulda take to go Central and come back.

Things that make yuh go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 24, 2011, 10:19:23 AM »
Sidenote-what is a 15 year old girl doing going to a fete and doing so with a 24 year old guy?
:-X
Once you have a car that ain't new.  Sad end to the story though.
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 24, 2011, 12:26:19 PM »
Sidenote-what is a 15 year old girl doing going to a fete and doing so with a 24 year old guy?

Steups like you doh know them thing is normal in tnt... de man had a car....

Nearly lost meh life on the Manzan stretch last year around this time... drunk indian fella coming from toco... he could not stay in his lane...

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 24, 2011, 12:39:13 PM »

ha lord,,allyuh eh easy in here

but to stay on topic..I eh know if is the size or curvature of we light standards but t&t is de only place I know where car does wrap completely around pole on a regular basis
since I is a lil boy , yout men huggin rx-2 and cortina around poles with precision
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

giggsy11

« Reply #335 on: January 24, 2011, 01:05:55 PM »

Steups like you doh know them thing is normal in tnt... de man had a car....

Nearly lost meh life on the Manzan stretch last year around this time... drunk indian fella coming from toco... he could not stay in his lane...

When I was growing up all I use to remember hearing about is accident after accident on the Valencia stretch!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 24, 2011, 04:10:28 PM »

ha lord,,allyuh eh easy in here

but to stay on topic..I eh know if is the size or curvature of we light standards but t&t is de only place I know where car does wrap completely around pole on a regular basis
since I is a lil boy , yout men huggin rx-2 and cortina around poles with precision

Dutty,
              you ent lying. It seems that as soon as them cars enter TT like the water does make them soft. The cars does twis-up, ben-up and split-up, when they get in accidents.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 24, 2011, 04:45:31 PM »

Dutty,
              you ent lying. It seems that as soon as them cars enter TT like the water does make them soft. The cars does twis-up, ben-up and split-up, when they get in accidents.

Lol... this ent laughing matter, but this one make mih  :rotfl:

Talk of accidents on the Valencia stretch was more exaggeration than anything else.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 24, 2011, 05:18:41 PM »
more and more yuh seeing them foreign used welded chassis cars...breaking apart in accidents and thing...
So many cars on the road are nowhere near road worthy!
Back in Trini...

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 24, 2011, 05:30:05 PM »
Well peeps who know more that me....How hard is it to

1. Give out serious speeding tickets?
2. Profile certain cars that appear to be supped up.  Check them and then charge them if needed.

No more speeders on public roads

After to or three of these events take away their license and seize the car.

How fast you have to be going for your car to almost disintegrate?  I gyah go nowhere in Minneapolis and speed like that at 3am in the morning and not get pulled over.

Trinidad playing the fool oui.
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 24, 2011, 05:46:36 PM »
Well peeps who know more that me....How hard is it to

1. Give out serious speeding tickets?
2. Profile certain cars that appear to be supped up.  Check them and then charge them if needed.

No more speeders on public roads

After to or three of these events take away their license and seize the car.

How fast you have to be going for your car to almost disintegrate?  I gyah go nowhere in Minneapolis and speed like that at 3am in the morning and not get pulled over.

Trinidad playing the fool oui.

You good investing yuhself in this debate yes... the public in TnT not serious about traffic safety.  What has the public reception been to enforcing seatbelt regulations?  What has the reception been (even here on the forum) towards efforts to ban cellphone use while driving?  Trinidad is a mad drive society... why settle fuh getting there when yuh get there faster?  I hate to speculate but unless that car make from bubblegum it is evident that speed was a contributing factor.

truetrini

« Reply #341 on: January 24, 2011, 05:58:24 PM »
right here on dis forum some peeps feel dat seatbelts are more dangerous than being safey strapped in.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 24, 2011, 06:15:42 PM »
more and more yuh seeing them foreign used welded chassis cars...breaking apart in accidents and thing...
So many cars on the road are nowhere near road worthy!

the thing is that a lot of cars that get into accidents are pieced back together. By that i mean ppl does cut out an replace a whole half of car at a time. So i dunno if the problem comes from the foreign used directly, but rather from poor repair jobs locally.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 25, 2011, 12:11:42 AM »
How them cars bend up so?  They driving that fast or are the cars built with cheaper materials?  It looks like those cars need higher safety standards.
ill say both. car look like plastic. made light weight for racing

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 25, 2011, 12:18:59 AM »
Mangled human bodies or mangled automobiles are not going to deter or curb the driving habits of individuals in TnT... has not in the past and it does not seem likely in the future...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: January 25, 2011, 12:35:29 AM »
Mangled human bodies or mangled automobiles are not going to deter or curb the driving habits of individuals in TnT... has not in the past and it does not seem likely in the future...

Right you are... everybody know he only crash like ah ass because he doh know how to drive.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Highways and Roadways in T&T Thread.
« Reply #346 on: February 02, 2011, 05:15:47 AM »
Have toll for new highway
GEORGE ALLEYNE (NEWSDAY).
Wednesday, February 2 2011

Government should impose a road toll on drivers of all vehicles which will use the under construction $5.2 billion Golconda to Point Fortin Highway. The toll should be used for the maintenance of the highway which will provide Port-of-Spain and areas in north and central Trinidad with a crucial and vastly improved link with Point Fortin and the largely industrial South.

The general taxpayer, whether corporate, professional, small trader or individual, would have paid for the construction of the highway whose sod was turned by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar on January 25.

Vehicle operators, specifically, who will be using the highway on official or personal business when it is completed should now be made to pay toward the upkeep of the road. Actually, it will be a shared cost — user and general taxpayer — as a road toll which took care of total maintenance costs particularly after a few years wear and tear will be viewed as punitive.

The mechanics of the toll can be worked out by the Ministry of Works and Transport in conjunction with the Ministry of Finance. Already the overall cost of the highway, which was first mooted some three decades ago, will work out at hundreds of millions of dollars a mile what with the inclusion of compensation of land compulsorily acquired for the project pushing the final figure to $7.2 billion. Minister of Works and Transport, Jack Warner, who briefed members of the Trinidad and Tobago Chamber of Industry and Commerce last month at the Chamber’s Quarterly Luncheon meeting, had advised that between 700 to 800 would be relocated to a new community Government planned building.

This means that families will be tacitly uprooted from areas where they had lived for generations in order to accommodate the designed route which the Golconda-Point Fortin Highway will take through Debe, Penal, Siparia, Fyzabad and Mon Desir. In the meantime, the importance of the highway to the further industrial and agricultural development of South-West Trinidad should not be underestimated.

The highway which starts where the Solomon Hochoy Highway ends will facilitate not only increases in food production, as it will provide far easier links with agricultural areas and allow farmers to take their produce to the marketplace or central purchase and collection points more readily, but facilitate as well the development of small and medium sized industries. It will also stimulate internal tourism as well as provide easier access for overseas tourists to such places of interest as the world famous Pitch Lake, the Digity Village, Debe mud volcano, among others.

A critical plus, apart from the thousands of jobs which will be created as a result of the construction of the highway itself will be the additional permanent employment opportunities which will flow from the tourism, agricultural and industrial development. A great deal of them will depend on the initiative displayed by the residents.

While this column referred earlier to the introduction of a road toll for the Golconda to Point Fortin Highway, nonetheless there should be a special waiving of the road toll for farmers in the areas concerned.

These farmers will clearly wish to take advantage of the easier opportunities provided by the highway facility to take their produce to the market or bulk purchasing centres. This, in effect, would be a subsidy, however small. In turn, motorists above the age of 65 should be provided with special passes which would enable them to drive privately owned vehicles on the new highway without having to pay the road toll.

The completion of the $7.2 billion project will mean that persons will be able to travel by highway from Port-of-Spain to Point Fortin and vice versa using the existing Beetham Highway, Uriah Butler Highway, the Solomon Hochoy Highway and the under construction Golconda to Point Fortin road. It will ease traffic congestion, immeasurably, for persons travelling out of Point Fortin to San Fernando and points in between and will facilitate persons wishing to use the San Fernando — Port-of-Spain ferry service.

Meanwhile, Government in addition to building new or expanding existing highways should seek to limit Trinidad and Tobago’s rapidly growing vehicle population. A meaningful road communications policy should be drawn up which would effectively encourage car pooling. The number of vehicles on the nation’s roads has almost quadrupled since December, 1975, when it stood at 128,500.

The clearly excessive number of registered vehicles has been the main agent of traffic congestion.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 15, 2011, 11:58:03 PM »
Call for justice at Sabga funeral
By Aabida Allaham aabida.allaham@trinidadexpress.com

Story Created: Feb 15, 2011 at 10:53 PM ECT

Story Updated: Feb 15, 2011 at 10:53 PM ECT

RELATIVES of textile merchant Ramon Sabga are calling on the government to ensure justice is served in the case.

They made the call yesterday at Sabga's funeral service at the Church of the Assumption in Maraval, where hundreds turned up to bid the "arrow" of the family goodbye. His relatives insisted that the law must be enforced in order to create a "disciplined society".

During the intercessory prayer, one of Sabga's nieces, Jacky Elias-Hadeed, broke down in tears as she prayed for the Government to do something about the lawlessness that has taken over Trinidad and Tobago.

In an interview with the Express afterwards, his nephew, Marc Sabga, said, "Uncle Ramon would want us to forgive because he was like that. That's the kind of person that he was, but this kind of thing must not happen again."

In delivering the eulogy, Sabga's brother and business partner, Richard Sabga, said, "Not only have we lost a brother and a friend, but Trinidad and Tobago has lost a good son of the soil. My brother, Ramon Sabga, was not only a hero to our family, but a hero to all who knew him."

Richard said everyone loved being in his brother's company. Others, including another nephew, John Paul Nahous, described him as a lover of music and fine food.

Fr Reginald Hezekiah, who delivered the homily, said Sabga was the kind of person who preferred to teach a man to fish rather than give him a fish.

Hezekiah, however, spoke at lengths about forgiveness and reminded those present that "forgiveness was a part of love" and was part of the legacy that Sabga left behind.

Sabga was later laid to rest at the Lapeyrouse Cemetery.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 16, 2011, 09:04:50 AM »
what dat fellah who teef de car was seriously speeding...air bags AND air curtains deployed and de man still dead
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 16, 2011, 09:13:04 AM »
what dat fellah who teef de car was seriously speeding...air bags AND air curtains deployed and de man still dead

I don't think it takes a lot for the bags and curtains to deploy... had a collision right across from me about three weeks ago and same thing happen, Beamer and a Murano and the Nissan full curtains deployed... not a whole lot of structural damage.  But yeah, I agree that fella had to be speeding in order to pin the car against the wall.  That mean he push that car from the street up onto the sidewalk and against the wall.  Would be interesting to know if Sabga was wearing his seatbelt... which direction he was travelling, East to West or West to East.  Might help explain the injuries.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: February 16, 2011, 09:24:01 AM »
Bakes, here's the initial story......

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Arson_attack-116095649.html

Textile businessman, 70, dies in accident
By Akile Simon

BUSINESSMAN Ramon Sabga, 70, was killed in a road accident just outside the Office of the Prime Minister in St Clair on Friday night.
Sabga, the owner of Naim Sabga Ltd, at Queen Street, Port of Spain, was pronounced dead on arrival at the Port of Spain General Hospital shortly after the incident. A post-mortem yesterday revealed he died from multiple internal injuries, and death was instantaneous following the impact.

Sabga, the father of Suzette, Nicole and Donna Marie Sabga and the grandfather of 12, was killed around 11.40 p.m. on Friday.
According to police, the suspect was driving a white Mitsubishi station wagon, PBW5814, north along Alexandra Street, when he failed to stop at the corner of Alexandra Street and St Clair Avenue. The vehicle slammed into Sabga's BMW, PBX560, which pinned the car onto a wall at the side of the roadway.

Police said the suspect and another male passenger emerged from the wagon and fled the scene on foot. The suspect later turned up at the Belmont Police Station to report the accident. He was detained by police and failed a breathalyser test, which registered at 43 microgrammes, above the 35 microgrammes legal alcohol limit while driving.   Relatives, family and friends yesterday gathered at the Sabgas' Prada Street, St Clair, home, still trying to come to terms with the tragic incident.

Sabga's niece, Nicole Sabga-Taleb, spoke with the Sunday Express outside the victim's home and said at the time of the incident, her uncle was on his way home. She said the Carnival season was no excuse for motorists to operate in a reckless manner.

"It's a surprise to us. We never saw it coming. Family was his everything. His wife, kids, grand-children is where his life started and ended," a relative said.

Relatives returned to the scene yesterday and placed flowers and a lighted candle in memory of Sabga. "Uncle Ramon, we love you and your light will always shine forever in our hearts. May you rest in peace," a sign posted by Sabga's relatives at the scene of the fatal crash stated.

In a statement sent to the Sunday Express, Sabga's family said: "Ramon Sabga, an astute businessman, spent the last 55 years working in the commercial city of Port of Spain in the textile trade."

The suspect faces charges of driving a vehicle without a valid certificate of insurance and driver's permit, using a vehicle without the owner's consent and being over the prescribed alcohol limit while driving.

Ah curious about something though.....what does this part in bold mean??  The car's owners didn't have insurance for the vehicle at all or that the insurance didn't cover the suspect because of his age???   :thinking: :thinking:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 16, 2011, 09:34:49 AM »
Dah fella go have it hard.

Anybody hear wha happen afterwards to de young gyal dat kill a police officer last year speeding on de shoulder?
She trial done yet?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 16, 2011, 09:37:15 AM »

I don't think it takes a lot for the bags and curtains to deploy... had a collision right across from me about three weeks ago and same thing happen, Beamer and a Murano and the Nissan full curtains deployed... not a whole lot of structural damage.  But yeah, I agree that fella had to be speeding in order to pin the car against the wall.  That mean he push that car from the street up onto the sidewalk and against the wall.  Would be interesting to know if Sabga was wearing his seatbelt... which direction he was travelling, East to West or West to East.  Might help explain the injuries.

yeah its just a sensor that deploys them...what I meant was in most cases people tend to be hurt rather than die when 'cocooned' in front, side and head air bags.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 16, 2011, 10:39:36 AM »

yeah its just a sensor that deploys them...what I meant was in most cases people tend to be hurt rather than die when 'cocooned' in front, side and head air bags.

Dai's why I was wondering how the car was situated when it get hit.  I know the fella was travelling North... so if Sabga was heading east the driver side would have been hit.  From the photos it looks as though the left side (passenger side, assuming the BMW was right-hand drive) was struck though... and the right side cut away to extract him.  But with that much force... if it hit his side, and he wasn't wearing he seatbelt... then yeah, hard to survive that.

Brownsugar... thanks for the post, I read that when it was first posted (glad to see that the correct the name from "Niam Sabga and Sons" to "Naim...").  The insurance was probably expired, or all he had was the old certificate in the car... since it wasn't his and he didn't have permission to use it.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 16, 2011, 11:16:36 AM »
bakes watch the pics of the BMW closely..it was hit on the driver's side and pinned against the wall at the corner..that is why yuh see the damage on the left side. The damage on the left is a sharp angle due to the corner wall
Back in Trini...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 16, 2011, 12:18:39 PM »

Anybody hear wha happen afterwards to de young gyal dat kill a police officer last year speeding on de shoulder?
She trial done yet?

U should ask if it start.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 16, 2011, 12:44:33 PM »
bakes watch the pics of the BMW closely..it was hit on the driver's side and pinned against the wall at the corner..that is why yuh see the damage on the left side. The damage on the left is a sharp angle due to the corner wall

Oh okay... I dunno de intersection so when ah see de indentation on de left side ah figure that was from de collision with the car.  If yuh say dai's from the wall then it actually confirms my initial suspicion that he was travelling east and get hit on his side.  With that much force... even ah seat belt mightn' save yuh nah  :-[

Drunk driving and speeding... bad enough by theyself, deadly in combination.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 16, 2011, 12:45:54 PM »

She trial done yet?

Well....lets see which one would be done first. Given that she "affluent"
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 16, 2011, 12:55:47 PM »

She trial done yet?

We will c. Time will tell.

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 16, 2011, 06:35:12 PM »

She trial done yet?

bourbs, dem files musse done loss ahready. dat not goin an spend a day in jail.
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

1]; } ?>