April 28, 2024, 07:11:21 PM

Poll

Should T&T add a toll booth to the highway.

No
6 (40%)
Yes
7 (46.7%)
Give it a try
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Traffic & Accident Thread  (Read 94588 times)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
Re: New PoS traffic rules in effect from April 2
« Reply #390 on: March 30, 2012, 05:23:33 AM »
I am willing to give it a chance and see if its working or not.  At least Lee Sing trying.....we stuck in traffic we complain, ah man trying something to alleviate the problem, we still complaining.....dais why we cyar progress......steups!!
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 02, 2012, 07:25:25 AM »
I am willing to give it a chance and see if its working or not.  At least Lee Sing trying.....we stuck in traffic we complain, ah man trying something to alleviate the problem, we still complaining.....dais why we cyar progress......steups!!

Yeah I give him that..he trying. But consultation shoulda be held. And trinis too blasted lawless....yuh go allow parking on one side and it go STILL have problems cause of how everybody feel it eh against the law if it eh have a police dey.

Given the volume of traffic, it would have concerns...you cant please everyone. But....the best thing to do is interact with stakeholders to get a workable solution that would have everyone able to benefit somehow.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 02, 2012, 05:48:14 PM »

Yeah I give him that..he trying. But consultation shoulda be held. And trinis too blasted lawless....yuh go allow parking on one side and it go STILL have problems cause of how everybody feel it eh against the law if it eh have a police dey.

Given the volume of traffic, it would have concerns...you cant please everyone. But....the best thing to do is interact with stakeholders to get a workable solution that would have everyone able to benefit somehow.

Hence my bull in a china shop reference.....and I heard the plans were put on hold and didn't go into effect today as planned. Didn't read the article but I heard dem fellas on Red talking about it this morning.....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 15, 2012, 07:00:27 AM »
Forumites, especially local based.  All yuh know this back on schedule for tomorrow right?? 

I eh know if its just me but I find the authorities aren't doing enough to sensitise the public on the changes.  The information I got was from work.  I can't remember seeing anything on the papers or TV in the last few weeks highlighting the changes.   

Found this on the Min. of Works website

http://www.mowt.gov.tt/general/notice.aspx?noticeID=76

http://www.mowt.gov.tt/documents/trafficplan_stjameswoodbrook.pdf

And two You Tube videos

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z0nZbvhS41g&amp;feature=plcp" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Z0nZbvhS41g&amp;feature=plcp</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/yv0AKn0MZAU&amp;feature=plcp" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/yv0AKn0MZAU&amp;feature=plcp</a>
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 15, 2012, 07:16:44 AM »
There have been daily announcements on TV and radio this week. But I find that there is too much to take in. Tragarete and Ariapita are ok, it's when they start going on about every single connecting road that confuses me. Some are one way west and then change to one way east etc. Still, I think it's good that you can't park along Ariapita at certain times of the day.

Had to laugh at some protesters and taxi drivers complaining about people having to walk. With all due respect, I find Trinis want to be dropped right outside their destination. As opposed to many towns and cities in the world where public transport systems exist and you may have to walk half a mile from the bus stop or tube station. I know its hot here, and it gets very wet, but other nations cope with extreme climates.

I always laugh (or cuss, if I'm driving) when I see a maxi stop right on a corner of a busy junction to let someone off, and then stop on the other side of the junction to let someone on. Could never understand why bus stops are not created??

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 15, 2012, 06:31:55 PM »
There have been daily announcements on TV and radio this week. But I find that there is too much to take in. Tragarete and Ariapita are ok, it's when they start going on about every single connecting road that confuses me. Some are one way west and then change to one way east etc. Still, I think it's good that you can't park along Ariapita at certain times of the day.

Had to laugh at some protesters and taxi drivers complaining about people having to walk. With all due respect, I find Trinis want to be dropped right outside their destination. As opposed to many towns and cities in the world where public transport systems exist and you may have to walk half a mile from the bus stop or tube station. I know its hot here, and it gets very wet, but other nations cope with extreme climates.

I always laugh (or cuss, if I'm driving) when I see a maxi stop right on a corner of a busy junction to let someone off, and then stop on the other side of the junction to let someone on. Could never understand why bus stops are not created??

Walkin is when we visit d family in Brooklyn when we go buy at Bobby's. When we in TNT we nd 2 b dropped in front of we gap.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 16, 2012, 06:51:14 PM »
So how the Trini-based make out today?  Any problems?

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 16, 2012, 07:52:15 PM »
Heard there were some teething problems as expected, but the report on the news showed traffic moving real nice along Ariapita.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 17, 2012, 06:51:05 AM »
I call home and ask a friend how things with the new traffic flow. he say ' things sweet man, no traffic at all."
then he throw in "then again I walking eh." hhahhahaha
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 17, 2012, 02:24:26 PM »
From reports d peeps wit car have it nice d peeps that have 2 walk pressure.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 17, 2012, 06:56:15 PM »
So ah take ah drive down Ariapita Ave tonight to drop a friend in town after a game in King George V.   As I came around the roundabout by Roxy, I noticed a long line of cars on Trag Rd.  waiting to filter into the roundabout to go either Damian Street or continue into St. James.   That back up appears to be caused by the fact that one lane is blocked so its only one lane from Trag Rd. to Damian St. or St. James.....

When ah finally reach de Ave.  it was free sailing into POS.  But that was 7 pm.  I have to traverse the Woodbrook area tomorrow during the day.  Curious to see how it working during the day.  And the effects when school opens in September.
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 18, 2012, 09:04:03 AM »
This traffic plan is real shit...

The backlog from the oval and roxy running along st clair avenue and backing up the savannah.

Plus the long circular road traffic forcing people to come through fed park and it clogging up saddle road.

Monday it take me close to an hr to reach from Maraval to Movietowne this is around 6pm.

Yesterday it take me close to an hr to reach from POS to maraval, with the backlog from the savannah right up to the Maraval roundabout by  KFC.

Week before...I was home in 10 minutes...the stretch by kapok and ellerslie smooth and round the savannah not a car. When school start back it go be real pressure. Overs dat traffic plan...is  :bs:

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 18, 2012, 05:11:39 PM »
I made the drive from Keate Street to Carlo St. in Woodbrook today and for the most part it was a breeze.  This was around 9 am.  I saw the traffic back up on Trag rd.  They had two police officers there to control things I guess.  There is talk of removing the roundabout and putting in traffic lights at the Roxy junction.

The next bottle neck I encountered was on Damian street onto Warren St.  Its real pressure to get onto Warren St.  and worse if you are trying to cross Warren to get down to Ariapita Ave.  Once on the Ave. oooooohhhh guuuuddd  is like driving on a four lane highway.....and de jack ass drivers and dem just driving anyhow, any way on it.

Then when I was leaving Woodbrook, I went up Colville Street which is all North now, and cross Tragarete Rd. onto Cipriani Blvd.  There was a back up on Colville Street.  But not as bad as it used to be.

The drive around the Savannah this evening was much better than yesterday. 

I think it could work if the kinks are worked out.  But the real test will still be when school reopens.  Until then I'm cautiously optimistic....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 25, 2012, 06:01:17 AM »
Trinidad Express

It's early days yet
Lee Sing insists on 3-month trial:

By Anna Ramdass anna.ramdass@trinidadexpress.com

Port of Spain Mayor Louis Lee Sing said yesterday the new traffic plan must be allowed to continue into its three-month trial period, after which, it would be revisited.

Speaking to the Express by phone and questioned on the call by business owners and residents for the traffic plan to be scrapped, Lee Sing said it was still "early days" into the plan but added it was being reviewed daily.

"The plan was never intended to be a St James or Woodbrook plan; it is a national plan intended to bring relief to traffic coming into the city, and on the basis of that, we are now moving people faster in and out of the city," said Lee Sing.

Lee Sing said the plan was from the Ministry of Works, which he supported because he understood its "vision".

He said taxi-drivers must establish their own routes while the Public Transport Service Corporation (PTSC) must understand its role in catering for public passengers.

However, while Lee Sing said the three-month trial period must take its course, Port of Spain South MP Marlene McDonald said this could not happen.

"In three months, this plan is going to mash up my constituency; businesses cannot hold on for three months'' McDonald told the Express.

McDonald, who attended a public meeting in St James on Monday night where stakeholders called for the traffic plan to be scrapped, said she must stand with her constituents.

She said she spent the entire day on Saturday walking the district, and residents wanted the traffic plan to be reverted.

She added that the concerns of the business owners were legitimate as she noted their businesses suffered a blow during the State of Emergency last year, and they were now facing another blow with the new traffic plan.

"This new traffic plan to me is orchestrated to finish off the businesses in these areas," she said.
McDonald said she had spoken to Lee Sing and also Works Minister Emmanuel George who were both "very amenable" to making changes to the traffic plan.

McDonald will be holding a press conference today at 1 p.m. at her constituency office in St James to discuss the issue further.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 25, 2012, 06:05:51 AM »
Trinidad Express

'We're not taking any traffic plan'
Businesses firing workers; taxi-drivers, residents slam new routes

By Anna Ramdass anna.ramdass@trinidadexpress.com

The Port of Spain West traffic plan must be scrapped immediately.
Just one week into the implementation of the new traffic plan for west Port of Spain, there are numerous calls for its immediate removal, among them business owners, who say they are enduring heavy financial losses and have no choice but to send home workers.

Emotions ran high during a public meeting at the St James Amphitheatre on Monday night where persons from all walks of life, from taxi-drivers to business owners, complained that the traffic plan was negatively affecting their livelihoods.

Scores of people voiced their concerns, saying the free flow of traffic makes it easier for bandits to attack, pedestrians are suffering because they cannot access taxis and everyone, including young children and the elderly, is at risk from having to cross four lanes of traffic on major roadways.

The traffic plan, which was developed by the Ministry of Works and Infrastructure and supported by the Port of Spain City Corporation, went into effect on July 16.

Traffic on major roadways such as Ariapita Avenue, Western Main Road and Tragarete Road changed direction to accommodate the one-way traffic in the plan.

This, in effect, created a faster flow of traffic on these routes, but residents and business owners say these new "highways" are making their lives hell.

Grant Chin, owner of Jacqueline's bakery on Ariapita Avenue, said he was now forced to fire five employees because his business was suffering.
"These five ladies are very good workers, but for the survivability of Jacqueline's, I have to do it because I cannot last for three months. I am now selling bread on a freeway," he said.
He said he was losing six hours of business a day as there was no parking on the Avenue from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.

In addition, he said permanent no parking signs which have now been installed affect business during other hours of the day.

Waldron Louison, owner of West Classy Food in St James, said it appeared there was a deliberate plan by the People's Partnership Government to destroy businesses.
"I am not happy with what I saw on my cash register yesterday...as a matter of fact, I am seriously considering sending home three young ladies tomorrow," said Louison.
"Hold on! Hold on!" shouted members of the audience.
Louison said another business colleague informed him that losses were so great in his own business that earnings slipped from $17,000 to $964 in one week.
This person, he said, was also faced with having to send home five employees.
"He (colleague) believes that the plan is to rid the St James and Ariapita Avenue of us and allow part of the cabal to buy out our business and buy out the real estate at dog cheap price," said Louison.

Melissa Dalloo, owner of Ali's Veggie Mart in St James, said not only was her business suffering, her life was also at risk as she disclosed that last Wednesday, she was robbed in broad daylight, at 11.30 a.m., by two bandits.

Dalloo said two men, armed with guns, exited a yellow-band maxi and entered her business and demanded that she hand over her gold bracelet and necklace.
She said if it weren't for one of her employees, she would have been dead.
"If my worker didn't stand up for me, they might have shot me and kill me. I have four little children; Lee Sing needs to change that highway into a two-way. Lee Sing make that a freeway for bandit to jump out and rob businesspeople; that is wrong," she said.

James Ceasar, owner of Hioasis in St James, said a political game was being played, and people must not be trampled on.
The owner of Asha's Variety Store in St James told the Express that she, too, now has to fire employees as the new traffic plan had crippled business.

Natasha Ferrera, another businesswoman, said she can no longer sell breakfast on mornings.
She said her income had also taken a blow, which affected her from giving charity to the Living Waters Community each month to help battered children.
She also said young women were now being put at risk because they were getting into taxis and were not sure as to what routes they were going to be taking.
"Yes, we need to change and make things better, but human beings must not suffer for progress," she said.

A number of residents of the affected areas complained of difficulty in getting taxis and the fact that they now have to walk from Tragarete Road to Ariapita Avenue to get taxis to head into Port of Spain.
Resident Lorraine Simon expressed concern as to what will happen to hundreds of schoolchildren who have to travel home when school re-opens.
Many expressed fear that some child may get knocked down by speeding cars when trying to cross the roads.

Ivy Forde, 88, made an appeal for the traffic plan to be abandoned, saying her life was at risk.
She said she was nearly blind, having had two eye surgeries, and had extreme difficulty crossing the roads with her grandchildren.
"I don't know who planning this, but to me, this is definitely a waste of time...everybody loves the old people, everybody love the children, but when it comes to that, who love we? Nobody loves us; politicians are not the Government, the people are the Government. They are there to seek our welfare but is the people suffering, and we are not going to stick for that in St James," said Forde.

Chairman of the Woodbrook Residents Committee Lynette Dolly said she wrote to Port of Spain Mayor Louis Lee Sing on behalf of the residents, complaining there were too many dangers in the new system and the plan must be revisited.

Several taxi-drivers said they, too, were facing the pinch.
Culbert Alexis said he puts $80 in gas a day in his vehicle and goes home with $90.
He said people did not know where to get taxis and women were scared to travel.
He recalled an incident where he had to look after a female passenger who was forced to walk from Tragarete Road to Ariapita Avenue and looked as though she wanted to faint as she was just told by the doctor that she was experiencing menopause symptoms.

Alexis said he now goes home early because the roads were unsafe and passengers were nowhere to be found as the plan did not make any accommodation for pedestrians.

Another taxi-driver said people were now at risk because they were walking in search of transport and were now prey for bandits and rapists.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: July 29, 2012, 06:39:25 AM »
I can't find the online version of this letter to the editor so here I am typing it out.  It was written by Colm Imbert former Min of Works.....

Thursday 26th July 2012
Two-way Tragarete Road is best

The new traffic plan for Woodbrook and St. James has converted Ariapita Avenue and Tragarete Road in Woodbrook and the Western Main Road in St. James into virtual highways.  While this has made it easier for persons who reside outside of the city to get in and out of Port of Spain, it has created great inconvenience and hardship for people who live and work in Woodbrook and St. James and for businesses in these areas.  A traffic plan must always serve two objectives, i.e. it must allow for a smoother flow of traffic but equally important it must also allow for easy access to various points and destinations within its area of influence.  The new plan has achieved the first objective but failed miserably at the second objective.

Because of the confusing and even irrational new system of no entry and one-way streets, motorists are now herded like cattle going east along along Ariapita Road or west along Tragarete Road and it is now very difficult to get on or off these two main roads to access various points in the system.  Traditional escape routes are blocked and the direction of traffic on many streets has been reversed, making it virtually impossible to easily arrive at one's destination within Woodbrook and St. James.  Because of the one-way west direction of Tragarete Road and one-north direction of Colville Street, together with a number of new one-way north streets blocking access to Ariapita Avenue, it is also now difficult to get out of Woodbrook to go east into Port of Spain.

The businessmen that I have spoken to in St. James tell me their sales have dropped by over 50 per cent, in some cases by over 75 per cent, because shoppers cannot easily get to their stores and are now avoiding the area.  I suspect the same holds true for some parts of Ariapiata Avenue.  For the elderly or the indigent in St. James or Woodbrook, crossing the road is now very dangerous because of the speed at which vehicles are travelling on the new highways and the absence of pedestrian crossings.  Further, persons using public transportation who are coming from the west going east now experience tremendous difficulty in accessing the St. James area since traffic has been rerouted as far north as Long Circular Mall.  The rerouting of traffic going east to the north of St. James has also created a serious conflict with the Maraval traffic in the mornings, since traffic into Maraval is now rerouted into St. James in the morning. 

Any traffic plan that alienates and seriously inconveniences the residents, workers and businesses in densely populated areas must be revisited and should not be left as is.   And someone who has personal knowledge of the Woodbrook and St. James area, the problem of traffic in Woodbrook and St. James in my view was really in the mornings.  It was difficult to drive into Port of Spain in the morning but in the afternoon there are several alternative routes to get out.

I am suggesting therefore that Tragarete Road and the Western Main Road be reverted to two-way streets while Ariapita Avenue be kept one-way.   In that way, it will be much easier to get in and out of Woodbrook and St. James, the morning traffic problem will be resolved and the businesses and residents of these areas will not suffer unduly.

However, if Ariapita Avenue is to be kept one-way, the authorities should install sufficient pedestrian crossings to allow people to cross this busy road.

Colm Imbert MP
via email
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 06:41:17 AM by Brownsugar »
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Closure of business blamed on POS Traffic Plan
« Reply #406 on: August 12, 2012, 08:21:32 PM »
Closure of business blamed on POS Traffic Plan
ctntworld.com

The manager of the Lagniappe Bakery and Café, Martin George, is blaming the closure of his business on the new Port of Spain traffic plan.

He told C news that the wrecking policy and new parking regulations have reduced the number of patrons to his business forcing his wife and himself to take the drastic measure of closing up shop.

Mr. George is calling on traffic authorities to use more common sense when planning traffic initiatives.

Opened in 2004, Lagniappe has become known as the premier bakery and café on the Avenue.

However, on Sunday management made the decision to open their doors for the last time after a strict wrecking policy began reducing the number of customers earlier this year.

Mr. George says the new parking hours of this trial traffic plan implemented in July drove the remaining clients away.

He explained this was because the no parking policy implemented between the hours 6 am and 9 am saw them lose breakfast customers and the no parking allowed between 3pm and 6pm deterred after work clients.

Mr. George advised that authorities should cater for daytime businesses by designating one lane for parking.

He says he feels sad that he has to close up shop but this isn't the complete end for Lagniappe as they are hoping to find an appropriate property on a road off the Avenue to start all over again.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 14, 2012, 07:39:33 PM »
So hear d kix,

All the highway the avenue and tragarete turn into...they installing traffic lights on it too :rotfl:

Completely defeating the purpose of the free flow of traffic.

Yuh ent see is imps and duncees running this show.

Revert the plan back to how it was.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
West POS experimental traffic plan rescinded
« Reply #408 on: August 25, 2012, 02:52:27 PM »
West POS experimental traffic plan rescinded
mowt.gov.tt

The Ministry of Works and Infrastructure wishes to advise the public that the West Port of Spain Experimental Traffic Scheme which was put into effect from Monday 16th July 2012 shall be rescinded with effect from Monday 3rd September 2012.

All measures and restrictions that constituted this Experimental Scheme shall no longer be in force from that date.  Consequently, the configuration of the affected areas shall return to what previously applied, i.e. before the implementation of the Scheme.

With the reinstatement of the former traffic arrangements in St. James, Woodbrook and Newtown, the public is also advised that there will be the enforcement of all applicable parking restrictions, utilising both the Enforcing Officers and vehicle-towing options.  Motorists should therefore observe and obey such restrictions and, in this way, allow for as free a flow of traffic as possible and avoid the penalties and inconveniences associated with breaches of the Law.

Although the West Port of Spain Experimental Traffic Scheme was, undoubtedly, very successful in reducing traffic congestion and travel times along the main routes leading to and from the Port-of-Spain central business district, as was its primary objective, it appears to the Ministry that some of the resulting negative side effects outweigh the benefits that were gained.  In that regard, the Ministry wishes to thank all stakeholders who facilitated the testing of the Experiment and, moreso, by their constructive and frank feedback, both remotely and via consultations, assisted in the consistent and faithful monitoring and assessment of it.

The Ministry of Works and Infrastructure will continue to review the traffic arrangements in West Port of Spain with a view to determining what future action needs to be taken to relieve congestion and enhance travel times, the Government’s aim being to improve the lives of the burgesses and other users of this highly populated and very popular area.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 25, 2012, 05:15:59 PM »
Well Touches goh be happy like pappy.

I wanted to see the impact when school opened before I made a final judgement.  For me it was working just fine which sounds a tad selfish but it did aid in getting me from point A to B a bit faster.  I just had to think about the drive a bit before taking off to point B......*sigh* say what.......

Lee Sing say nobody eh tell him nutten.  LOL!!!  Louis boy, yuh run up against Jack yuh eh expect dey goh shaft yuh every which way??....

So dey going and repaint all de roads and thing before Sept 3rd??  And uuuummmm.....

Although the West Port of Spain Experimental Traffic Scheme was, undoubtedly, very successful in reducing traffic congestion and travel times along the main routes leading to and from the Port-of-Spain central business district, as was its primary objective, it appears to the Ministry that some of the resulting negative side effects outweigh the benefits that were gained. 

..........which were what exactly??  ??? :-\
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
$44.6M approved for traffic infrastructure
« Reply #410 on: September 06, 2012, 07:51:29 PM »
$44.6M approved for traffic infrastructure

Cabinet has approved the sum of $44.6 million for the upgrade of existing traffic infrastructure.

The Minister of Works and Infrastructure, Mr. Emmanuel George, announced that the Traffic Management Branch of the Ministry will be in charge of carrying out the upgrade.

He said the upgrade works will involve the installation of backup power in 50 signalised intersections, while zebra crossings will be installed at 80 sites. He also said New Jersey-type or concrete barriers will be installed on the Churchill Roosevelt Highway and the San Fernando Bypass, while cable barriers are to be erected on the Uriah Butler and Solomon Hochoy Highway.

The breakdown is as follows:
Back-up Power at 50 signalised intersections in T&T: $4M
Installation of zebra crossings: $1.6M
Installation of New Jersey type barrier systems along the Churchill Roosevelt Highway from Macoya to O'Meara, and San Fernando Bypass: $21M
Installation of cable barriers on Solomon Hochoy Highway & Uriah Butler Highway: $18M

The Works and Infrastructure Minister also announced that he's seeking the allocation of $45.5 million to pay contractors to clear waterways and drains that need cleaning to prevent any further flooding in West Trinidad.

This is in addition to the $49.4 million approved to cover costs from last month's devastating flood in North West Trinidad.

He said $45.5 million is still needed to cover supplemental work including the clearing of clogged drains and water courses. The Minister of Finance is to advise on funding for this additional sum.

http://www.ctntworld.com/LocalArticles.aspx?id=45710&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: $44.6M approved for traffic infrastructure
« Reply #411 on: September 08, 2012, 02:01:00 AM »

He need about 20billion to build 2 causeways.

1 from Chaguanas to town and 1 from town to chaguaramas.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Highways and Roadways in T&T Thread.
« Reply #412 on: April 15, 2015, 02:41:47 AM »
We can complete $7.4bn highway.
By Radhica Sookraj (Guardian)

OAS assures Govt

Although its parent company filed for bankruptcy protection two weeks ago, Brazilian construction firm OAS Construtora has told the T&T Government it is in good financial condition and will be able to complete the $7.4 billion Solomon Hochoy Highway Extension by May 2016.

An OAS team, including country superintendent Rodrigo Ventura and several board directors, met with Works Minister Dr Suruj Rambachan and National Infrastructure Development Company (Nidco) chairman Dr Carson Charles on Monday to discuss concerns about the project.

Charles later told reporters that contrary to claims made by Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley, he had no information that OAS was withholding payments to local contractors.

“If this is happening, we have received no reports. I will have to find out whether this is so,” Charles said.

He said that dozens of local contractors and suppliers were also providing goods and services to OAS, the main contractor on the billion-dollar highway project. Charles said OAS directors from Brazil flew to T&T last week to discuss the project.

“Despite constraints in Brazil, that is not preventing the company from doing work here. We understand that OAS’s parent company filed for bankruptcy protection, which is a provision whereby the court gives them protection to pay off their debts in an orderly fashion by selling assets. The protection order gives them time to satisfy all their creditors,” Charles said.

“OAS chairman and members of the board have informed us of how they plan to complete the work. The plan seems feasible and we are satisfied.

“We continue to pay them for such works they have undertaken. We took a loan so we have the money. OAS operations in Trinidad are continuing because our payments are up to date.”

Charles said OAS would give weekly updates to Nidco and the ministry on the progress of the highway construction.

“If you go on the site you will see works are still going on. They are busy working on the segment from St Mary’s Junction to Grant Road,” Charles said.

He said once the road was inspected and passed it would be opened later this month.

Rambachan said he asked OAS officials to ensure that all local contractors were paid and they assured him the company was making timely payments. He said if any contractor was having problems with payments they should make a report to Nidco, the supervisory agency.

Local contractors, including Kalco Limited, said yesterday that they were being paid on time.

“We are not sure if suppliers and other contractors are being affected,” a Kalco official said.

Sources told the T&T Guardian there had been delays in the past with payment of fees to some contractors, including Ansad Services Limited. A source at Namalco Construction Services also said the company ended its relationship with OAS in 2012 because of problems with payment of fees.

Rowley warning

At a political meeting last week, Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley had warned that the highway project was in trouble because Brazilian company OAS Grupo, OAS Construtora’s parent company, was in the midst of bankruptcy proceedings due to the corruption scandal it was currently embroiled in.

“Right now I could tell you that the accounts office there is without any local input. Only Brazilians inside there operating with a satellite to a bankrupt company in Brazil and of course, the local contractors who have been working for them are now in great danger because they are not being paid and they are hoping that this will remain silent until after election.”

Earlier this month, Grupo OAS sought bankruptcy protection following a corruption scandal involving one of its biggest customers, state-owned energy company Petrobras. The company filed for court protection to renegotiate its debts with creditors and suppliers because its access to finance has been severely restricted since the end of last year.

OAS executives, along with officials from some of Brazil’s largest construction firms, have been charged with money laundering, corruption and criminal conspiracy in an alleged kickback and bribe scandal at Petrobras.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 02:08:56 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: We can complete $7.4bn highway.
« Reply #413 on: April 15, 2015, 07:23:02 PM »
 This is a stupid move. Most contracts will allow the client to terminate the contract when the contractor files for bankruptcy.

The quality of the product will start to deteriorate as the contractor tries to maximise on margins eventually leaving a mess that the client will have no recourse from. No liquidated damages will be applicable if they are legally bankrupt.

They should rethink this and break the project up into packages and go back out to tender.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Highways and Roadways in T&T Thread.
« Reply #414 on: April 21, 2015, 02:09:29 AM »
KAMLA: Causeway for Chaguaramas
By Joel Julien (Express).

IF the People's Partnership is re-elected into office for a second successive term after this year's general election, a roadway will be constructed over the water from Port of Spain to Chaguaramas, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar has announced.

Persad-Bissessar made the announcement as she delivered the feature address at the United National Congress (UNC) Monday Night Forum held at the Fyzabad Secondary School last night.

Persad-Bissessar said Planning Minister Dr Bhoe Tewarie has been working on the construction of the Chaguaramas Boardwalk, which she labelled as "one of the most inspiring" projects for Trinidad and Tobago.

"Our Cabinet has already agreed we will partner with the Canadian government to look into the feasibility of building a causeway from Port of Spain right down to Chaguaramas," Persad-Bissessar said.

"We will look at the causeway, we will build it...you know I was in Panama recently and I saw the causeway running across the water skipping all the major traffic and just getting from place to place with cut-off points along the way.

"We will, with your help, in our second term build the first-ever causeway in Trinidad and Tobago in the North-West peninsula," she stated.

In addition to the causeway, Persad-Bissessar said the construction of the highway from Point Fortin to San Fernando will continue and another highway will be constucted from San Fernando to Mayaro.

"I give you the assurance tonight that the Partnership Government post-election 2015, should we form the Government, we will build the San Fernando to Mayaro highway in that term," Persad-Bissessar said.

On Wednesday, Persad-Bissessar will be celebrating her 63rd birthday.

On that day, chief executive officer of Royal Dutch Shell Ben Van Beurden is scheduled to arrive in Trinidad.

It is Van Beurden's first visit to the Western Hemisphere since the anouncement of a US$70 billion merger between Shell and British Gas two weeks ago.

Persad-Bissessar said the expected arrival of Van Beurden was evidence that there is no truth to claims that this country is facing an "energy crisis".

"In less than 12 hours of that announcement (of the merger) a letter was delivered to me from the CEO of Royal Dutch Shell, Ben Van Beurden, in which he said that Shell is committed to partnering and investing in Trinidad and Tobago," Persad-Bissessar told the crowd in Fyzabad.

"So what crisis? What crisis in the energy sector? When it is Royal Dutch Shell will be coming into our energy sector, will be investing. And remember he is one of the most powerful CEOs in the world. He wrote to us and said he was committed to partnering and investing in Trinidad and Tobago.”

Persad-Bissessar said in addition to the arrival of Van Beurden, a US$1 billion investment will be made in this country following a contract between the Energy Ministry, National Gas Company (NGC) and Mitsubishi, to be established in La Brea.

"Again, where is the crisis, where you have such a large company signing to make an investment of over $6 billion in Trinidad and Tobago. And guess what, for you here tonight in Fyzabad, all of you in the South-West peninsula, that project is going to be in the La Brea Industrial Estate," she said.

Persad-Bissessar said this will equate to 2,000 construction jobs.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 21, 2015, 05:41:30 AM »
Rapid Rail more important!

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 21, 2015, 06:09:54 AM »

Chief executive officer of Royal Dutch Shell Ben Van Beurden only make €24.2 million for 2014
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 21, 2015, 09:31:07 AM »

Chief executive officer of Royal Dutch Shell Ben Van Beurden only make €24.2 million for 2014

Rotato, explain what you meant by "only make 24.2 mill for 2014"

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 21, 2015, 10:53:58 AM »
The PM is not thinking. A roadway over the water from POS to Chaguaramas will not help ease traffic. Traffic will remain the same!  One of the benefits of the rapid rail will help ease traffic as less people will feel the need to use their vehicles on the road. T&T has more than 700, 000 vehicles on the road at the moment.

I support the rapid rail. Once the rapid rail is implemented as another avenue for transportation there will be less cars on the road and less traffic.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 10:55:35 AM by Sando prince »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 21, 2015, 11:03:14 AM »
less cars on the road and less traffic.

At least at the peak hours.  But I see taxi drivers and the car dealers who import cars as the major stumbling blocks to RR.

1]; } ?>