April 27, 2024, 06:34:18 PM

Author Topic: A Captain's Knock  (Read 2500 times)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
A Captain's Knock
« on: July 05, 2006, 10:49:39 AM »
                  1st Innings           2nd Innings
Captain A:         81                     68
Captain B:         26                     11

Guess which one is which?

I'm sorry, but in this one, I think captain B would have to shoulder some of the blame for a 50 run loss. Complaining about the bowlers, or the selectors, or the pitch, doesn't negate the fact that Captain B underperformed with the bat in this test.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

TrinInfinite

Re: A Captain's Knock
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 11:24:20 AM »
wat de frige is ur point, u blaming lara like dem other islands, whappen tuh shithound selectors who cant select a decent team for a picth dat spins, idiots if u ask me, i support lara 100%

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 11:27:26 AM »
So you saying that the man bears NO RESPONSIBILITY for the result.
It annoying me that we lose by only 50 runs batting last, with 2 days left. and man only talking about the pitch and the bowling and ignoring the elephant in the room.

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 12:04:28 PM »
1st Innings 2nd Innings
Captain A: 81 68
Captain B: 26 11

Guess which one is which?

I'm sorry, but in this one, I think captain B would have to shoulder some of the blame for a 50 run loss. Complaining about the bowlers, or the selectors, or the pitch, doesn't negate the fact that Captain B underperformed with the bat in this test.

Who else score runs in this game hoss?? Only Dravid play 2 phenomenal innings.. even Dravid get out by unplayable balls. The other 21 batsmen in this game ent do nothing much really (small 40's and 50's doh count) so Lara was right to complain about the pitch

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 12:18:06 PM »
I ent saying he ent have a right to complain.

All I saying is that men want to ignore the obvious questions. If this were any other captain, we would discuss this as well.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 02:39:06 PM »
You know I like my statistics. Generally speaking we were outplayed throughout the series and India were unfortunate not to have won by a wider margin. Lara scored 211 runs in 8 innings with one score of 120. That means he scored 91 runs in his 7 other innings. His series average was 26.37, ranked 9th in the team. He is the team's leader and best batsman, surely he should be producing more. Dravid led his team in runs and in average (82.66) and 496 in 8 innings with one century and four half centuries. That's what a leader is supposed to do. I think Lara was short as a leader in some aspects and he must take some responsibility for the series result, but that is only one small part of an overall situation.

The Windies had one batsman average higher than 50 and that was Dave Mohammed with 2 innings and one of them a not out. Only Ganga and Chanderpaul averaged in the 40s. 5 Indians averaged in the 50s, one was Harbajan with 2 not outs. We did not bat well enough collectively. As much as we expect from Lara the other players need to play their part.

Mohammed played in one match in the series and took 4 wickets in a match where all of our bowlers took some stick. Sehwag, Harbajan and Kumble led the bowling averages and Sehwag is a part timer. Kumble and Sehwag played in all 4 matches and Harbajan played in 2. Obviously the selectors missed the plot there as well.

Lara is informed that he is one of the selectors more than halfway through the series. The administrators have a lot of work to do. A multimillion dollar business needs to be run more efficiently than that.

So in the end I agree with Bitter up to a point.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 03:14:43 PM »
Thank yuh!
Like I say before, I eh saying the other issues are negated, just that we pretending that lara didn't bat poorly in this test (or in the series for that matter) and that the pitch and the selectors was to blame for the loss.

As Captain, yuh have to step up.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 03:15:15 PM »
You know I like my statistics. Generally speaking we were outplayed throughout the series and India were unfortunate not to have won by a wider margin. Lara scored 211 runs in 8 innings with one score of 120. That means he scored 91 runs in his 7 other innings. His series average was 26.37, ranked 9th in the team. He is the team's leader and best batsman, surely he should be producing more. Dravid led his team in runs and in average (82.66) and 496 in 8 innings with one century and four half centuries. That's what a leader is supposed to do. I think Lara was short as a leader in some aspects and he must take some responsibility for the series result, but that is only one small part of an overall situation.

The Windies had one batsman average higher than 50 and that was Dave Mohammed with 2 innings and one of them a not out. Only Ganga and Chanderpaul averaged in the 40s. 5 Indians averaged in the 50s, one was Harbajan with 2 not outs. We did not bat well enough collectively. As much as we expect from Lara the other players need to play their part.

Mohammed played in one match in the series and took 4 wickets in a match where all of our bowlers took some stick. Sehwag, Harbajan and Kumble led the bowling averages and Sehwag is a part timer. Kumble and Sehwag played in all 4 matches and Harbajan played in 2. Obviously the selectors missed the plot there as well.

Lara is informed that he is one of the selectors more than halfway through the series. The administrators have a lot of work to do. A multimillion dollar business needs to be run more efficiently than that.

So in the end I agree with Bitter up to a point.

great stats worlfman, nice tuh see u back, but one question, as a fellow support of west indies cricket, de selectors must take most of the blame for this series, lara has blame to shoulder but the selectors are the worse culprits in terms of their selection and timing of selection.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 09:23:21 AM »
I am not interested in setting up a hierarchy of blame. I do think though that the selectors got it wrong in their team composition, especially after watching 3 Indian spinners (one of them a part timer) wreak havoc on the Caribbean pitches.

No one of the problems highlighted in this thread will end our run of poor results. It takes the efforts of many, on and off the field, to get us going in the right direction. To the credit of Lara and to the players, there was a much more determined attitude evident in the players. That, if nothing else, is something to praise and encourage as it's been lacking for so long.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 06:01:31 PM »
I feel the west indies need to consider good cricketers who are wanted by the law and cannot showcase their true talents.  Giving these guys ah pardon might help de team.... ;D

TrinInfinite

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 10:04:14 AM »
I feel the west indies need to consider good cricketers who are wanted by the law and cannot showcase their true talents. Giving these guys ah pardon might help de team.... ;D

i can now see why ur name is real madness :devil: where are u from trinidad exactly madness? ??? ::)

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 11:37:06 AM »
I feel the west indies need to consider good cricketers who are wanted by the law and cannot showcase their true talents. Giving these guys ah pardon might help de team.... ;D

i can now see why ur name is real madness :devil: where are u from trinidad exactly madness? ??? ::)

go read the topic "welcome message for old and new warriors" and u will see why my name is real madness.
I am from south..I don't know what that have to do with anything.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2006, 07:17:31 AM »

buh you rel dottish nuh... yuh cyah even tell when de man is directly insultin you.  ::)

:rotfl: mih belly

just now man would say we need hardest to play for the west indies  :rotfl:
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Latent

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 01:54:17 PM »
Whether Captain B underperformed in that Test or not is not the point. India played the better cricket throughout the series and we were lucky not to be 2-0 down coming into this last Test. The 50 runs defeat in that last Test was due to the team's poor batting performance in the first innings and leeting India off the hook at 96/6 or something like that and then allowing them to score 200 plus. We then replied with only a hundred and something.

Whether Lara made runs or not is not the point. There are eleven men in a team. If any two or three of those men applied themselves, we could have gooten more runs. This was not the most demonic pitch in the World. I have seen Test pitches with extremely wide cracks or pitches which are literally green with grass.

Captain A applied himself as well as did Sarwan and Ramdhin in the second innings. Lara is not to blame for this defeat. He is to blame for his stupid comments after the match. West Indies just did not apply themselves properly in this last Test.

1]; } ?>