April 23, 2024, 07:45:55 AM

Author Topic: SPoRTT Thread.  (Read 29375 times)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Re: Sport Company of Trinidad and Tobago Thread.
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2011, 01:21:50 PM »
Maybe so, but somewhere along the line, Ashby comes up against Trinis with no clue! By expats, I assume Controversial means foreign nationals living in T&T such as Terry Fenwick? (I don't mean he thinks Fenwick should be involved, but used his name as an example)

You either don't know Controversial's penchant for talking shit, or yuh trying to be charitable, lol

whats your suggestions and ideas to improve Sport company of T&T, we await your response, minus the ole talk....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2011, 01:24:32 PM »
thats exactly what i meant, some people are dense and dunce enough to think i mean ex pats living abroad  ::)

People "dense and dunce" because you don't know how to use the English language?  You must feel people dotish... there's a difference between "ex-pats" and "foreign nationals", or they didn't cover that in Standard 5 when yuh was in Primary school?

whats your suggestions and ideas to improve Sport company of T&T, we await your response, minus the ole talk....

Ole talk is de only thing coming out your mouth so dat is all yuh getting.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2011, 01:54:29 PM »
thats exactly what i meant, some people are dense and dunce enough to think i mean ex pats living abroad  ::)

People "dense and dunce" because you don't know how to use the English language?  You must feel people dotish... there's a difference between "ex-pats" and "foreign nationals", or they didn't cover that in Standard 5 when yuh was in Primary school?

Ole talk is de only thing coming out your mouth so dat is all yuh getting.

evading the issue as always, lets hear your input or is that cupboard bear?

i know the difference between foreign national and ex-pat, like i said to you earlier, this is not an essay writing class and i am not presenting a thesis

maybe you should stop proof reading and actually contribute to the thread, what are your suggestions and ideas to improve the sport company of T&T

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ashby fired as SPORTT CEO
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2011, 04:46:02 AM »
Ashby fired as SPORTT CEO
T&T Express

Errol Ashby has been fired with immediate effect as chief executive of the Sport Company of Trinidad and Tobago (SPORTT).

The Express learned yesterday that the former athlete was removed from his post at SPORTT, although neither Minister of Sport Anil Roberts nor SPORTT officials would confirm Ashby's removal.

Calls to both Ashby and SPORTT chairman Rhett Chee Ping up to press time last night went unanswered.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Ashby fired as SPORTT CEO
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2011, 07:34:57 AM »
Dat organization BLIGHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2011, 07:57:26 AM »
Ashby still at SPORTT
By Roger Seepersad

Errol Ashby's fate as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Sport Company of Trinidad and Tobago (SPORTT) is still up in the air, but the former athlete could know his fate as early as today, according to a reliable source.

The source, who requested anonymity, told the Express yesterday that SPORTT is in the process of conducting appraisals on employees, and insisted that Ashby was not fired.

"SPORTT have persons on contracts and we put them on six months probation at the end of which we see whether or not you performed in the position according to the job specs. We have already had persons who have resigned from positions after a few months," the source explained.

Asked whether or not Ashby was dismissed as SPORTT CEO, the source said: "He has not been fired."

Asked about Ashby's performance as CEO, the source said there were some positives and some negatives, adding that all would be revealed today.

The source said Ashby was at work yesterday.

The Express also sought clarification from Communications Manager at SPORTT, Adrian Raymond. Raymond said he had not received any information, officially or unofficially, that Ashby was fired.

The Express also contacted Ashby, but the SPORTT CEO said he had no comment.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2011, 08:01:51 AM »
Ashby is still at work so that report was totally false.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2011, 08:09:50 AM »
Dat organization BLIGHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
        :waiting: :waiting: boy i tell you,just now we will not have anybody to run sports,they getting rid of all the jokers one by one.    

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2011, 09:21:31 AM »
I find Anil Roberts is a very poor Minister. Local sport has suffered under his stewardship. Gary Hunt was much better than him.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2011, 09:32:01 AM »
I find Anil Roberts is a very poor Minister. Local sport has suffered under his stewardship. Gary Hunt was much better than him.

:thinking:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2011, 09:49:19 AM »

:thinking:

Ah done think yuh correck.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2011, 11:32:56 AM »

:o :o :o :o

WWWWWWHHHHHHAAAATTTTT?? ??!!!!!!
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2011, 12:03:05 PM »

Possibly because he is unqualified for a ministerial portfolio
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2011, 12:15:54 PM »

Possibly because he is unqualified for a ministerial portfolio

Beside being LOUDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD and coachin Bovell what else he qualify for?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2011, 05:17:03 AM »
SPORTT’S Errol Ashby Fired.
By Anika Gumbs-Sandiford (Guardian).

Although board members objected to the recruitment of Shoma Persad at the executive level.

Anil Roberts Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs Anil Roberts’ preferred choice for the position of executive manager of business development at the Sport Company of T&T (Sportt) has allegedly led to the dismissal of the company’s chief executive officer (CEO).

Errol Ashby was axed on August 19, after he allegedly fell out of favour with the minister for failing to carry out a directive—a directive which board members also expressed concern over. In fact, despite objections from the board that there were no grounds to dismiss Ashby, Roberts, in an interview with Sunday Guardian yesterday insisted the former CEO did not perform as expected and was in breach of his contract for use of a million dollar luxury BMW X3.

The fallout reportedly stemmed from Ashby’s unwillingness to comply with instructions to appoint new recruit Shoma Persad to the lucrative $30,000 monthly executive position.

The position is at present held by Steven Joseph. Promotion to the executive position would have seen Persad, who was hired in mid June as a manager, receiving a $12,500 pay hike on her $17,500 monthly salary and an increase in travelling, housing and telephone perks she now enjoys. Confidential board minutes obtained by Sunday Guardian from the extraordinary board meeting held on August 18, revealed that members objected to the recruitment of Persad at the executive level and unanimously voted against the decision to axe CEO Ashby.

Board director Nisa Dass at the said meeting stated: “The instructions are to terminate the employment of Joseph and put Persad to act in his place.” Dass stressed that the dismissal was geared at “looking for a reason to please the Minister,” the minutes revealed. The directive was further supported by statements made by another board director Matthew Quamina.

Quamina stated: “The reason why this board meeting was being held was because the minister asked the board to terminate the CEO’s contract.” Director Cheemattee Martin objected to the directive stating: “The board was told to install Ashby as CEO and as such, I disagree with what is taking place.”

Also expressing concern was board director Kent Samlal who stated: “I have difficulty with the minister saying that he will find a person for the position of CEO.” Board clears Ashby, but… It was on this basis, according to the board minutes, that vice chairman Dr Chela Lamsee-Ebanks noted there were no grounds to dismiss Ashby given that no prior complaints were ever lodged against him. However, the mounting pressure to dismiss Ashby led to the board exploring whether the CEO was in breach of his contract for use of a luxury BMW.

The board, however, rejected the issue after chairman Rhett Chee Ping, who was on vacation at the time of the specially convened board meeting, communicated via a Skype conference call that he ratified the leasing of the vehicle to Ashby. Chee Ping informed the board that he did not examine the contract in minute detail and was willing to resign over the issue.

The board later agreed that the leasing of the vehicle was not a valid reason to terminate Ashby given that the type of car was not specified in his contract. It was at this point the board first agreed that the termination of the CEO would not be supported. Board members, the minutes revealed, also felt they should not resign because of the decision, but if the minister so desired, he could dismiss them.

Minister attends board meeting, Chee Ping resigns
In an unprecedented move on that said day, Lamsee-Ebanks then informed board members that the minister was on his way to the meeting. Informed of this, Chee Ping openly vented his disapproval over the minister’s attendance at the meeting stating that a “bad precedent” was being set. However, according to the minutes, the minister arrived at the meeting at around 2 pm. Lamsee-Ebanks, the minutes stated, informed Roberts that the board was unable to find any issue with the CEO and they have no reason to terminate his employment.

The minister, however, then raised discussion regarding the luxury BMW X3 and Ashby’s contract; why some board members were absent and the performances of the CEO and the executive manager. Chee Ping informed the minister and the board of his willingness to resign over the issue of the type of vehicle that was leased to the CEO. However, Samlal suggested that the firm should be contacted to see whether the contract could be terminated. Chee Ping then ended the conference call minutes before the minister left the meeting at 3.12 pm. Within days of the saga unfolding, Chee Ping tendered his resignation.

Ashby axed by second vote… Joseph in limbo
Further perusal of the minutes revealed that on arrival of directors Sebastien Paddington and Anyl Gopeesingh both members were brought up to date on the proceedings. Gopeesingh, however, the minutes indicated, asked for the “real reason” for the CEO to be terminated. Lamsee-Ebanks explained: “The chairman feels that the CEO is performing his duties.”

Quamina said: “The Honourable Minister says the CEO has not been performing.” This then prompted Gopeesingh to ask: “How someone who has just started could be terminated?” Paddington replied: “Persad sent an e-mail indicating her displeasure that the business development executive manager had transferred someone to the department.” Dass, however, pointed out that the executive manager’s position allowed him to make such decisions.

Terminate CEO, or else...
It was at this juncture Lamsee-Ebanks indicted to the board that if Ashby was not terminated then members should be prepared to end their tenure as directors. Paddington also reminded members that they were “political appointees.” The board then took another vote changing their tune and agreed that Ashby would be terminated based on “lack of performance or dishonesty concerning the contents of the contract, as some of the items discussed did not ultimately form part of the contract as agreed.” Directors, however, agreed that there was no evidence of non-performance against Joseph.

Ashby gets the axe
In an interview with Sunday Guardian last week, Ashby said following two job vacancy advertisements in June (executive manager and senior manager) he was informed by board members that Persad was recommended to fill the executive manager post. However, Ashby said based on the particular job specification and work experience, Persad did not meet the requirements. “I was told by board members that Persad was the minister’s pick for executive manger of business development. Subsequently, I had a telephone conversation with the minister informing him that Persad did not meet the criteria based on the requirements listed in the advertisement.

In fact, Persad did not meet the criteria for either of the positions but a decision was taken to hire her as administrative assistant but that position was rejected by the minister. Ashby continued: “The minister outright rejected Persad coming on as an administrative assistant. I accepted his position but insisted that the post required a certain level of experience. The decision was then made to bring Persad on board as manager of business development. Her job title also posed an issue and on request from the minister I changed her title from manager to senior manager. There was no change in salary.”   

Ashby said he was uncertain as to what led to his dismissal. He recalled: “I was called in to see the minister on August 17. It was during that meeting the minister raised issue with the type of car I was driving. I referred him to the chairman because he authorised the leasing of the car for me.” Two days later, Ashby said, he was informed by board members that his services were no longer required at Sportt. “I asked for my dismissal letter and was informed that they were giving me the option to resign with two months’ salary as it was in my best interest. I directed the board to a clause in my contract that sets out if we want to divorce, how it should be handled. I subsequently received my dismissal letter on Sunday (August 21). Only the minister can say why I was dismissed.”

Roberts: It’s mischief
Told that the board minutes stated that he gave directives to dismiss Ashby, Roberts said: “I do not attend board meetings. I have meetings with the board like all other ministers to tell them what is the general policy and the direction the company wants to go. The CEO who was the former corporate secretary should have been on probation like all persons who are hired but he failed to include this in his contract that was drafted by himself. “I was not pleased with CEOs performance during his tenure.” Roberts said Ashby’s underperformance and breach of his contract led to his dismissal. “The CEO’s contract states that he is entitled to a vehicle but what appears to have happened is that Ashby and the former chairman, without consultation with the board, decided to purchase a million-dollar vehicle without informing me.

I informed the board that I was not pleased that such a purchase was made without any board oversight and ministerial approval. The BMW X3 is now being traded-in for pick-up vans that will be used to transport employees to the various recreation grounds for maintenance purposes.” Denying that Persad was his pick for executive chairman, Roberts stated: “The minister does not recommend, hire or interview. There is a process at the Sportt company. Vacancies are advertised in the newspaper and people apply. If there is a recommendation that someone is on probation and not performing a gap will exist. Someone below them has to act until an advertisement goes out and the panel goes through the process of vetting resumes and so on.

“Joseph is on probation; his performance is under question and if the board deems that he is to be removed the person immediately below is the senior manager of business development...that person is Ms Persad. Ms Persad would act in that position until advertisements go out to fill that post. This is an absolutely normal situation; I do not know what is the problem.” Persad: I applied for my job
When contacted, Persad confirmed to Sunday Guardian that she was recently employed at Sportt. Not divulging the date she was hired, Persad said: “I am employed as a senior manager at Sportt. I was employed three months ago.”

Asked if she applied to fill the post of executive manager of the business development unit, Persad said: “I applied for (one of) two positions—executive manager and senior manager; I was successful in getting the job as senior manager.” Persad’s resume showed her job experience as working at Kall Co Ltd, T&T from October 2008 to November 2010 as an administrative operations manager, at Herbal Magic Nutrition and Weight Loss Centre, Toronto from September 2007 to August 2008 as an assistant manager and health counsellor, and at Sanofi Pasteur Ltd, Toronto from May 2007 to August 2007 under a student internship.

Chee Ping: I have other commitments
Briefly commenting on the issue, Chee Ping insisted that he resigned to dedicate himself to other work commitments. He said: I was on vacation at the time of the meeting. I spoke to my board members and the issue surrounding Ashby was raised. With regard to Joseph, he is still employed at Sportt.”
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2011, 08:10:34 AM »
ANIL IS AH CANT!!!!
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2011, 09:36:01 AM »
I can't see what the problem is.... Persad Bissessor is obviously extremely experienced in the field of sports management......

"Persad’s resume showed her job experience as working at Kall Co Ltd, T&T from October 2008 to November 2010 as an administrative operations manager, at Herbal Magic Nutrition and Weight Loss Centre, Toronto from September 2007 to August 2008 as an assistant manager and health counsellor, and at Sanofi Pasteur Ltd, Toronto from May 2007 to August 2007 under a student internship." N.B. Kall Co Ltd is a construction company

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2011, 12:22:05 PM »
A BMW X3 costs US $160K??

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2011, 06:14:30 AM »
Williams questions ‘Elite’ funding snub
By JONATHAN RAMNANANSINGH (Newsday).
Sunday, October 2 2011

NATIONAL TENNIS player, Yohansey Williams expressed his disappointment about no local tennis player being included on the Elite Athlete Assistance Programme, managed and distributed by the Ministry of Sport and Sport Company of Trinidad and Tobago (SPORTT).

Williams felt that the local tennis fraternity and its players, were neglected even though they have continuously attained significant successes at various International Tennis Federation (ITF) tournaments.

“Trinidad and Tobago has been producing a lot of great tennis players. It’s shocking to know that no one was selected to receive the Elite Athlete Funding. This type of financial assistance can carry tennis and this country a long way on the international stage. I’m not saying that I wanted to receive the funding, but there are other players who have proven themselves on the circuit and are worthy of this aid,” stated Williams.

The multiple national champion reiterated the importance and major impact of tennis players in TT sports. He revealed that tennis is one sport that is continuously growing but is constantly being put on the back-burner.

“We have a host of male and female players who would have probably met the requirements to receive the Elite Funding. Vaughn Wilson is a player of great calibre and has been through a lot for Trinidad and Tobago tennis. He has represented this country on many occasions and was also victorious. Another great male player is Dawoud Kabli. Although he is based abroad, he has a lot of international experience,” explained Williams.

He continued, “With reference to the females there is the great Yolande Leacock, who has achieved a lot on the global circuit. Another player is Breanna Stampfli, who has been representing Trinidad and Tobago in many major ITF tournaments.”

Williams admitted that he himself felt neglected for the local tennis fraternity. The BG TT (British Gas Trinidad and Tobago) Tranquillity Open Tennis winner expressed his concern and wondered if the local players weren’t doing enough to get the needed recognition.

“We are forced to now ask ourselves, are we (players) good enough? Are we worthy of receiving such financial help? Does the victory for Trinidad and Tobago in the Davis Cup this year not mean anything to anyone? What more do we have to do to get the necessary recognition and assistance? If we don’t, why doesn’t someone come out and tell us, so we won’t be wondering why tennis was neglected and continues to be,” said a frsutrated Williams.

The 2011 National Championships Singles runner-up declared that all other regional countries were doing so much more for their tennis development and TT has not shown any concern.

He admitted that countries such as Barbados have injected funding and put a great deal of planning into the sport. Barbados is now number one in the Caribbean for the sport. He urged dedicated and determined persons to stand up for the rights of local tennis players.

“Barbados has done so much for their tennis recently. I have some friends there and their overall game-play has significantly improved due to the government intervention. It just takes one serious person to raise and pursue the issue of tennis in Trinidad and Tobago and we will begin to see even greater results all-round,” Williams asserted.

Williams admitted that he will stay faithful to the sport and continue doing his best at representing this country on the international stage. He also acknowledged the Ministry of Sport and SPORTT for all the assistance that they have provided over the years, but wanted them to become more involved with the players.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2011, 07:31:42 AM »
I saw a headline somewhere in the last 24 hours that some body else resigned from the SPORTT company???...didn't get details....

Edit:  Found it!!

Sportt corporate secretary quits
Anika Gumbs-Sandiford

Yet another Sport Company of T&T (Sportt) official has called it a day. Company corporate secretary Maurice Valere tendered his resignation on Tuesday, with immediate effect. Valere was responsible for recording the minutes of the extraordinary meeting of the company’s board held on August 18, when former chief executive officer Errol Ashby was dismissed. Ashby, according to the minutes, was dismissed, despite objections from the board, for failing to carry out directives by Minister of Sports Anil Roberts.

The minister, the minutes recorded, instructed the board to terminate business development manager Steven Joseph and appoint new recruit Shoma Persad to the post. Persad, the minutes stated, was the minister’s pick for the job. The minister has since denied the allegation claiming that Ashby was dismissed for breach of contract as it relates to the acquisition of a BMW X3 for his own use, and also for under performance. Meanwhile, board member Sebastien Paddington was appointed chairman of Sportt on Wednesday at a special board meeting.

Paddington replaces Rhett Chee Ping who resigned following the Ashby saga. Chee Ping admitted to sanctioning the lease of the luxury vehicle. Valere is the third Sportt official to depart the organisation within the last month. In an interview yesterday, former deputy political leader of the Congress of People Robert Mayers warned that new politics may be a figment of the imagination. Briefly commenting on the issue, Mayers said: “The standard of new politics seems to be evasive. I am just looking on.”

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2011/10/02/sportt-corporate-secretary-quits
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 07:55:55 AM by Brownsugar »
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2011, 08:14:36 AM »
Reshmi Shoma is a good girl ,she deserve a chance. People only like mischief and badmind.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2011, 08:35:08 AM »
Reshmi Shoma is a good girl ,she deserve a chance. People only like mischief and badmind.

hhhhhhhhmmmmm......how that sounding familiar so??   :thinking:
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2011, 10:31:08 AM »

hhhhhhhhmmmmm......how that sounding familiar so??   :thinking:
This story will get no traction because of the SoE and Kamla ankles. Is one set of rules for the pnm and another set of rules for the unc et al.

Offline benedicts bwoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2011, 11:35:04 AM »
 :bs: :bs:
The more things change, the more.................................! (Add what yuh want)

Offline tempo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
What Does SPORTT Really Do?
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2011, 11:55:01 AM »
Can anyone explain what is purpose of SPORTT and what they have done for the past year?

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: What Does SPORTT Really Do?
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2011, 06:40:43 PM »
Who is I charge of SPORTT and who paying them.

Bunch of f00cking thives
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2012, 02:45:43 AM »
SPORTT officials visit sporting venues   :yawning:
Thursday, August 2 2012
T&T Newsday

OFFICIALS of the Sport Company of Trinidad and Tobago (SPORTT) have started to visit sporting venues in municipal corporations to update information related to venues carded for development.

A release from the Ministry of Local Government said this move followed a meeting Local Government Minister Dr Suruj Rambacahan held with representatives of SPORTT on Monday to iron out concerns related to projects that were being undertaken by both entities.

The release quoted Rambachan as saying there was a great deal of duplication in the projects being administered by SPORTT and the ministry in terms of construction, operation and maintenance of high quality sport and recreation facilities in some communities.

“There is a need for collaboration between the organisations for greater collaboration between the organisations to determine which party will execute particular projects and which party will look after the maintenance aspects.”

At the meeting, the release said that SPORTT delivered a presentation of projects already completed and those in train for the rest of 2012 and 2013. Representatives of municipal corporations expressed concern about a number of issues including the absence of projects in some municipalities, and that major grounds where cricket and athletics were played were not identified for development or refurbishment. Estimates provided for undertaking projects, the release said, were also a source of concern.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2012, 04:23:27 AM »
Sportt moving in the right direction
By Vinode Mamchan (Guardian).

The Sport Company of T&T (Sportt) must be commended for realising that sport is big business. For far too long people have missed the boat when coming to perceiving the financial benefits that sport can bring to them and their country as a whole.

The current Sportt has adopted a very aggressive approach to sport tourism, an area that has been untapped and an area that is pregnant with opportunities for growth. Recently when I visited South Africa to cover the Karbonn Smart Champions League, I met Colin Borde a consultant with Sportt.

Borde, a former manager of the national cricket team and current manager of the West Indies ‘A’ team, came on that trip to forge important links within the international sporting fraternity. There he met with officials of the Indian Premier League (IPL), as well as the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI). The result of those meetings will be seen in the very near future as teams from the IPL will be coming to this country to play cricket matches. When this happens it will not only benefit the local cricket players and fans but will also give the country an opportunity to sell itself on the world stage. With millions of eyeballs focused on cricket, it provides an opportunity to show that this country is not only about oil and gas but can provide so much more.

Sportt had sent Borde down there to also take a first look at how international cricket is run. I can attest to the fact that with 35,000 fans coming into the Wanderers Stadium in Johannesburg, there was no chaos. Everything went smoothly and people were walking into the park at a leisurely stroll. There was no fuss and panic as is seen in this country when international cricket comes to the Queen’s Park Oval in St Clair. Borde was busy interviewing the security personnel and others at the facility trying to get as much information as he could. With the regional T20 coming to T&T from January 6, the lessons learnt from South Africa will be implemented.

Even more than that Sportt is toying with the idea of bringing in the logistics manager and the marketing manager of the highly successful IPL into T&T before the end of the year to keep a workshop to assist local sports administrators and to show them how it’s done on the international stage. In 2009, when this country first played in the Champions League in India, no official from any of the government bodies accompanied the team to explore opportunities and sell the country. When this country qualified for the football World Cup in Germany in 2006, there were government officials on board but whether they make links is yet to benefit sports in this country.

In this light, I must congratulate Sportt for the initiative in sending Borde to this year’s Champions League. Borde will be meeting with a number of sporting associations to see how what he gathered in South Africa can be implemented here. The first of the associations to benefit from the experience will be the T&T Cricket Board (TTCB). The TTCB had sent executive members Baldath Mahabir, Lalman Kowlesser and Arjoon Ramlal to South Africa to hold discussions with officials there as well and to explore bi-lateral relations. Borde accompanied them in some of the meetings and the feedback is very positive indeed. Look forward to see what comes out of this venture.

Sportt must take a bow for the initiative. We all know that sport has its benefits way beyond the boundary and networking possibilities are endless. When we network, we can assist each other as we develop ourselves as human beings. The national cricketers and some top domestic cricketers from the 1970 to 1990 period have seen the wisdom in networking and it is refreshing to know that they will be hosting an event on November 17 at the Carib Stand of the Queen’s Park Oval, to get together and remember the old days. It will also be an opportunity for the guys to link up again and network. One of the main objectives of hosting the event is for the past cricketers so explore ways in assisting one another. Some of them have fallen ill and others may be able to assist them, as some have gone to become doctors, lawyers, judges and businessmen, just to name a few.

The players will not be playing cricket but cooking food and sharing drinks all in an effort to re-live their glory days and bring men, who played the wonderful game of cricket, together again. Good luck gentlemen and congrats to those with vision.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
SPoRTT and the Ministry of Sport
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2013, 06:28:48 AM »
What is the difference ?

Is SPoRTT created to just suck money from the Ministry of Sport (MoS) and do their job to while the MoS just sit down a collect.

What is SPoRTT function and how are they doing? Are they just a bunch of crooks with suits.

To many positions in T&T. More boss than horse.

Sports in T&T especially football is really suffering and nobody in T&T seems to care.

White color thieves.

And de biggest crook is them bush indians, meh people shaming meh.

All of them have big wok and position and only studying to thief and drink rum.

Kamla Persad-Bissessar is a blight to T&T.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 06:36:03 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
Re: SPoRTT and the Ministry of Sport
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2013, 01:04:36 PM »
SPoRTT is one of many of what is called State Companies or Implementation agencies used to run government business.

I think first created during the Manning era of government (not sure). State companies are used to essentially run the Ministry business without the beurocracy of the Ministry itself. A government ministry requires cabinet and in some cases parliment approval for any position, policy or process change. It makes doing business very problematic. State companies were set up to essentially allow for a more fluid business model with line Ministry and parliament Joint Select Committee overisght. On the flip side it creates opportunities for corruption and in other cases the same inefficienies carry over.

few examples
SPoRTT - Ministry of Sport
UDECOTT - Ministry of Housing (i think)
HDC - Ministry of Housing
GHRS - Ministry of Public Admin
Lake Asphalt - Ministry of Energy
GISL - Ministry of Communications

Maybe someone else more knowledgeable could correct me if I incorrectly pronouced on anything.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

1]; } ?>