April 19, 2024, 02:02:00 PM

Author Topic: I-Wayne Quoted in Vibe Magazine that soca is the DEVIL MUSIC  (Read 8769 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
From an interview with rupee
(MK) I Dont know if you read the Vibes magazine but theres a quote that iwayne says that soca music is devil's music How do you feel about that?

(R) Iwayne? (MK: Yeah iWayne the reggae artist) Yeah Man theses days everyone is intitled of their own opinion thats what the world is about. I cant be matter about theses things because thats his opinion. even tho i cant necessarely agree with him. at the same time if you look at dancehall they are doing the same thing we are doing in soca music its very sexual, very sensual,erotic,movement of the body,jumping up and waving, if you listen up to the dancehall now a days, Its very heavy like soca. Just like *sings* you too badmind you too badmind* Thats a soca Beat *beat sound* you know what i mean.if you say one you say next Dancehall is basically the same thing as soca, dancing up and sexual whinning. And him saying that i could say the same thing for his music too but at the end of the day i aint matter the guy because we are all intitled of his opinnion it wouldnt affect that i love his music. i respect that man , But i dont agree with him no way it could be the devil music.

http://www.dancehallareaz.com/interview/rupee.html
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: I-Wayne Quoted in Vibe Magazine that soca is the DEVIL MUSIC
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 11:11:13 AM »
Each and every island scattered throughout the sapphire waters of the Caribbean pulsates to its own unique rhythm. The richness of the Cuba, Trinidadian, and Puerto Rican music is well-known, but for the past 30 years, the most influential of the islands has been Jamaica, with its thriving ghetto sound system culture, which as transformed the world’s popular music, disseminating the DNA of reggae, dub, dancehall, and hip hop.
After years of mainstream exposure for the music of Jamaica, the rest of the Caribbean is starting to get in on the action. St. Vincent’s Kevin Lyttle and Barbadian star Rupee have crashed the pop charts, exciting audiences with their slowed-down “raga-soca.” The intoxicating Caribbean cocktail, full of breezy tropical blends, has given a new identity to the sounds of the island globally. “That’s one of the missions behind soca music,” says Rupee. “We want to show the rest of the world that there are many other islands in the Caribbean besides Jamaica.”

Meanwhile, Jamaican dancehall rhythms like “Mad Guitar” and “Stepz” are taking the tempo up toward 120 beats per minute and beyond, and signs of rivalry have developed between reggae and soca.

The rumblings began soon after Lyttle and Spragga Benz walked away with VIBE’s first Boomshot Award. “How could they pick a soca artist?” said the insecure whispers. “Ele or Beenie shoulda won that trophy.” Never mind that the award goes to the best Caribbean song of the year, not necessarily the best artist. And there was no denying that “Turn Me On” was a phenomenal hit. Lyttle’s graciousness in the victory defused any tension among the artists. “I’m a big fan of Elephant Man and Beenie Man,” he said with an eat-to-ear grin. “To be here in their presence sharing the same stage on an international scale is nothing more than a dream come true.”

Unfortunately, the success of Rupee and Lyttle has become both a gift and a curse. With the reggae pendulum swinging back toward one-drop reggae, on the strength of rootsy anthems by Richie Stephens and I Wayne, a clear line has been drawn in the sands of the Caribbean. The reggae purists are no longer playing nice with the soca contingent. “That is devil dancing,” says the Rasta representative I Wayne. “It’s dancing with the demons. That’s why I try to wake up the people and show them some message within the music.” But Rupee argues that soca is more than the sounds of sin. “Our music is a happy music,” he counters. “It’s about dancing and forgetting your worries and problems.”

Even as “established” dancehall stars like Sean Paul and Beenie Man have elevated the craft to a higher plateau, soca haters cannot put aside their resentment and appreciate the progressive movement for Caribbean music as a whole. Luckily, many of the artists within the culture understand that unity is the key to turning the recent explosion into an all-out invasion. “We really want to show the strength of the dancehall, hip hop, and soca when they come together inna one great fusion,” says Spragga, chilling with Lyttle and Beenie Man minutes after the well-publicized award-show melee. “Cause right now, we show the world what a real takeover is,” Beenie Man smiles and concurs: “Dancehall style take over now.” And just for clarity’s sake Spragga adds: “Take over, no make over.”

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Musical Diffusion
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 12:05:43 PM »
Seven to Ten years ago even though I did not fancy it Dancehall was superior to Soca on a lyrical level. Dancehall artistes displayed back then a great degree of creativity that produced an attractive sound. Dancehall artistes then and now share riddims. Riddim sharing became popular about 3-5 year ago in Soca and people said that we were starting to sound like Dancehall.I wonder if people remember the "voodoo riddim." Magadan (Now Maximus Dan) sang "Obeah Man" on that riddim. I think it was KMC who made that riddim and several Jamaican Artistes had song on that riddim.

Dancehall in my opinion, through artists like Elephant Man has took a turn for worse. "Yuh too bad Mind" is in the same category as the crap Iwer George sing every year. (sorry to Iwer fans out there, but seriously any shithound could make better music than him.)I can't stand all the dance crap, its no different from the jump and wave thing. I think in the past few years the quality of Soca music has increased. It  be said that some of this music is considered cross-over rather than hard core soca.

Last Carnival in particular Machel, KMC and Dawg E Slaughter had some real good tunes.I think Soca is now better than Dancehall. Dancehall is more marketable because the Jamaicans did the hard work and made a way for it to play in mainstream America.

Soca as a product could be improved to if the Government would create the legislation for quotas of local content in the media. The PNM has no vision and more over no balls or should I say Testicular Fortitude. I think something like that would make room for the artto expand musically and lyrically due to the fact artistes will not just have produce music for the carnival. Imagine more soca plays in St. Vincent than in Trinidad. 

Jamaica's is THE nation that shapes the Caribbean identity culturally the most. We all follow what they do. My favorite genre of music is reggae. But I don't care about what I Wayne says Soca is on the way up and Dancehall is beginnig fade in eyes or should i say ears of many Caribbean people.
Many Vincentian andTrini artistes will tell stories of how Jamaican promoters and public rejected them in their concerts simply because they weren't Jamaican.(Remember what Bunji said)  Jamaicans are very talented but their patriotism gets in way of their objectivity.

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 08:27:00 PM »
I-Wayne and others supporting that train of thought could only be perceived as ignorant. Alot of people have objections to the dancehall music with the obvious and blatant advocacy of marijuana. To each his own .... like Rupee says everyone has there own opinion.

People like them looking for mileage to enhance there careers. It's like Bunji said in his song about I-wayne. When they coming Trinidad looking for there bread and butter begging the trinis to come to their concerts we don't say anything. Them fellas know they don't even have a following in their own country. .........  to each his own.
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 10:43:09 PM »
I have no idea who de hell I-Wayne is..but if he ever come to Trinidad to perform and Trinis attend..arrest every one of dem Trinis for stupidity.  Jamaicans always support their people and we need to be the same way and stop supporting others b4 we support ourselves.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 08:56:13 AM »
Today court jester did an  interview with bunji garlin about the song he did to diss  i wayne.Bunji say that he is sick and tired about of people think soca music is a gimickee  kind of music.He also stated he is here to defend the culture .he aslo stated that REGGAE AND HIPHOP ARTIST (DONT KNOW WHO OR IF ITS TRUE BUT HE SAID IT )called him AND SAID HE DID THE RIGHT THING :D

personally i think i wayne is entitled to his own opinion .

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2005, 09:51:06 AM »
I would'nt even bother to engage in any argument that reggae better than soca visa versa,but I will say this going back to the older generations where would byron lee be without sparrow,he only shot to prominence when he included the mighty sparrow,and at that point in the very early 60's reggae was maybe at infant stage,bob marley a struggling artist until he formed the wailers in 1967,so before they call soca devil music,all them jamiacan women is the devil diciples,because they can't get enough soca in dey soul they "love it".These people who perpetrate this ongoing labeling of soca is the same people who stand to benefit from it,yuh see when they run out ah material they dus turn to eventually soca.In my final words I would say this we all need to show solidarity in the world of caribbean music and give props to those who deserve it,wherever they may be from.           

Offline Israel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 03:01:03 PM »
Real madness, I wayne come trini and he concert buss. Bunji real gun him down in his song. How soca is devil music? We doh bun battyman (though i doh mind that), we do sing bout gunning down fassihole,we doh bon down d Pope. Soca s about wining, jumping, having a good time.

Yuh mad or wah, yuh mad or wah, like yuh was dis Trinidad or wah?
If a rasta in a coma, is he still conscious?

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 01:09:22 PM »
I was just about to purchase an I-Wayne CD the otherdya when I herad that rubbish and have since kept my money in my pocket where his any of his material is concern!

If all Trinis did like me, I-Wayne will soon be apologising unless he is a bad businesman!

Guess what even if he apologises still no sale but don't tell him that until he has apologised and embarassed himself!  ;)

He may get my money if he realises a good conscious soca song though!   8)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

1]; } ?>