April 24, 2024, 07:37:12 PM

Author Topic: Cultivating a professional football ethos in TNT:  (Read 5704 times)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Cultivating a professional football ethos in TNT:
« on: August 09, 2006, 03:56:51 PM »
Wait nah; it appears that somebody with the team reading the online forum. Ah mean we have been talking about a primarily local squad as a developmental team. Finally we see ah team with the core of local players getting exposure agnist Japan. To take ah team of this composition and expect positive results with a new coach, new expectations and limited international play is  asking for miracles.

What a game like this will do, is expose the quality and quanitiy of our talent; the sort of depth  we have and who are the players that could potentially rise to the level of  international play.

If I could be critical of the organization not the team's perfomance, is that in my humble opinion, a team of this calibre of players ought to have opened aganist maybe lesser known opponents (Bahamas, Bermuda ). Yuh eh want man tuh be discouraged nor do you want to have men playing so far out of their level or abilities that they cyar perfom up to expectations. ( come nah allyuh remember the first time alllyuh get....... wait nah it have youth on this .....so ah go just say sometimes man does get performance anxiety)

My visit to Trinidad afforded me the opportunity to have a conversation with Mr.Skeene during  games at Larry Gomes on the topic of what does it mean to be a professional player  and is it evident for a fan standpoint that when we attend matches at home, that we are seeing professionals in action?

Cultivating a professional ethos, approach to the game must become a way of life. This takes time and also takes time to see in ones actions from the manner in which players conduct themselves  on the field and away from it. The kind of commitment to training they  employ and the level of discipline they undertake in their routine. Talent alone will not  result in success. Just recalled some of the challenges our players encountered in cultivating a professional life abroad.

I hope for Mexico and Jamaica, we start to bring in men like :

KEEPERS:
 Marvin Phillips, Jan Michael Williams,  Duarance Williams Tony Warner

DEFENDERS:
Errol Charles, Anthnoy Noreiga, Makan Hislop, Lindon Diaz, Glenton Wolfe, Fabien Lewis, Keyeno Thomas, Cyd Gray, Derek Phillips, Ancil Farrier, Corey Rivers, Randy Ramcharan, Anton Ramnarine, Kern Thomas, Clyde Leon, Anton Joseph, Avery John,  Nigel Daniel, Brenton DeLeon, Radhanfah Abu Bakr, Tremaine Chinapoo, Kareem Smith, Terryl Elwin, Nigel Henry, Carlon Murray, Marlon Rojas, Devon Jordan, Julius James.

MIDFIELDERS:
Densill Theobald, Leslie Fitzpatrick, Silvio Spann,   Andre Boucaud,
 Ricky Shakes, Michael Celestine, Kezi Lara,  Kevon Clement, Kerry Baptiste, Aurtis Whitley, Conrad Smith, Josh Johnson, Javed Mohammed, Shastri Spencer, Andre Pacheco, Keon Daniel, Collin Samuel, Kahlil Mathura,  Atullah Guerra, Lindsie Sherwood, Kevern Murphy, Stephen De Las, Kevon Neaves, Kyle Cupid, Devon Leacock.

FORWARDS:
Hector Sam, Kenwyne Jones, Hayden Tinto, Gary Glasgow, Cornell Glen,  Dean Logan, Scott Sealy, Anthony Wolfe, Kendell Jagdeosingh, Kevon Carter, Devon Mitchell, Kerry Noray, Jason Norville, Jason Marcano, Jason Scotland, Steve Sealy, Carron Williams, Aaron Downing, Andre Toussaint, Darryl Roberts, Joel Bailey, Ian McAuley, Teba McKnight, Lester Peltier, Kyle McIvor, Kevin Crooks, Shane Calderon.

We have to step up the level of our play and our expectations for Mexico. and Jamacia.

Ok from the World Cup team, we know what we have in the  bank, no wwe are looking for assests to add to the rest.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 10:19:58 PM by AB.Trini »

TrinInfinite

Re: Cultivating a professional football ethos in TNT
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 04:01:54 PM »
very good post alberta, real good players yuh call out dey, yuh 4gettin hardest ;D, jagdeosingh and tinto, but otherwsie very good list  :beermug: :applause:

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
Re: Cultivating a professional football ethos in TNT: under Wim
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 04:26:03 PM »
Wait nah; it appears that somebody with the team reading the online forum. Ah mean we have been talking about a primarily local squad as a developmental team. Finally we see ah team with the core of local players getting exposure agnist Japan. To take ah team of this composition and expect positive results with a new coach, new expectations and limited international play is  asking for miracles.

What a game like this will do, is expose the quality and quanitiy of our talent; the sort of depth  we have and who are the players that could potentially rise to the level of  international play.

If I could be critical of the organization not the team's perfomance, is that in my humble opinion, a team of this calibre of players ought to have opened aganist maybe lesser known opponents (Bahamas, Bermuda ). Yuh eh want man tuh be discouraged nor do you want to have men playing so far out of their level or abilities that they cyar perfom up to expectations. ( come nah allyuh remember the first time alllyuh get....... wait nah it have youth on this .....so ah go just say sometimes man does get performance anxiety)

My vidt to Trinidad aforded me to have a conversation with Mr.Skeene during  games at Larry Gomes on the topic of what does it mean to be a professional player  and is it evident for a fan standpoint that when we attend matches at home, that we are seeing professionals in action?

Cultivating a professional ethos, approach to the game must become a way of life. This takes time and also takes time to see in ones actions from the manner in which players conduct themselves  on the field and away from it. The kind of commitment to traing they  employ and the level of discipline they undertake in their routine. Talent alone will not  result in success. Just recalled some of the challenges our palyers encountered in cultivating a professional life abroad.

I hope for Mexico and Jamaica, we start to bring in men like :

KEEPERS:
 Marvin Phillips, Jan Michael Williams,  Duarance Williams Tony Warner

DEFENDERS:
Errol Charles, Anthnoy Noreiga, Makan Hislop, Lindon Diaz, Glenton Wolfe, Fabien Lewis, Keyeno Thomas, Cyd Gray, Derek Phillips, Ancil Farrier, Corey Rivers, Randy Ramcharan, Anton Ramnarine, Kern Thomas, Clyde Leon, Anton Joseph, Avery John,  Nigel Daniel, Brenton DeLeon, Radhanfah Abu Bakr, Tremaine Chinapoo, Kareem Smith, Terryl Elwin, Nigel Henry, Carlon Murray, Marlon Rojas, Devon Jordan, Julius James.

MIDFIELDERS:
Densill Theobald, Leslie Fitzpatrick, Silvio Spann,   Andre Boucaud,
 Ricky Shakes, Michael Celestine, Kezi Lara,  Kevon Clement, Kerry Baptiste, Aurtis Whitley, Conrad Smith, Josh Johnson, Javed Mohammed, Shastri Spencer, Andre Pacheco, Keon Daniel, Collin Samuel, Kahlil Mathura,  Atullah Guerra, Lindsie Sherwood, Kevern Murphy, Stephen De Las, Kevon Neaves, Kyle Cupid, Devon Leacock.

FORWARDS:
Hector Sam, Kenwyne Jones, Hayden Tinto, Gary Glasgow, Cornell Glen,  Dean Logan, Scott Sealy, Anthony Wolfe, Kendell Jagdeosingh, Kevon Carter, Devon Mitchell, Kerry Noray, Jason Norville, Jason Marcano, Jason Scotland, Steve Sealy, Carron Williams, Aaron Downing, Andre Toussaint, Darryl Roberts, Joel Bailey, Ian McAuley, Teba McKnight, Lester Peltier, Kyle McIvor, Kevin Crooks, Shane Calderon.

We have to step up the level of our play and our expectations for Mexico. and Jamacia.

Ok from the World Cup team, we know what we have in the  bank, no wwe are looking for assests to add to the rest.

I disagree with you on playing against lesser opponents, Czech Republic and Wales showed us what International ball is like even the Japanese, run with pace and organisation, we should always try to emulate these teams every time we play. The International game is fast and you have to keep up or keep out.
Let them get the licks until they start taking from each loss, the lessons on how to perform better next time around. The coach would indentify weaknessess under match conditions and the players would realise areas in their own game they need to improve, so that when we come up against the Caribbean teams and central Americans we will go in there with confidence.
WHAT OUR PLAYERS NEED TO LEARN TO DO IS TO SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT!

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 04:46:34 PM »
grskywalker,
 I am suggesting that the team that played aganist Japan should have being given an easier opposition to begin with. It's the 'boxing analogy'. Ever notice that before a boxer gets a shot at the contender, that they work up aganist lesser known opponents? Sometimes the champion fights a lot  of 'stiffs' before he takes on a quality oppnent. why?

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 04:46:44 PM »
yuh do some serious homework dey man!!
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 05:18:09 PM »
grskywalker,
 I am suggesting that the team that played aganist Japan should have being given an easier opposition to begin with. It's the 'boxing analogy'. Ever notice that before a boxer gets a shot at the contender, that they work up aganist lesser known opponents? Sometimes the champion fights a lot  of 'stiffs' before he takes on a quality oppnent. why?

losing 0-2 to japan is hardly being out of your depth unless the game was amazingly lopsided...and it did not seem that way. These fellas are professional enough to not get disheartened just because they lsot. I think it was a great baptism for them. Their eyes would have opened a bit, but they would have also gained some confidence in their own abilities as they got more into the game and played at a higher level than they are used to....I think the level was just right - better than they are used to, but they got more and more competitive as the game went on. they also improved in front of a 'hostile crowd'. I think that is great. I agree it can be demoralizing to get blown out..but this was more of a healthy learning experience. I like your idea, nothing wrong with playing lesser opposition now and then...but I think this exercise was good for the fellas - possibly even a confidence booster

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 05:24:02 PM »
grskywalker,

Interesting point you made, but that is "boxing". However look at the approach we had against against Sweden  after the Czech game, we played with confidence and matched them boys pace for pace.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 06:28:47 PM »
Question was asked of me as to what did I think of the  quality of the pro league games I saw:

very good question:

I was a little taken back by the level of play I witnessed. The better clubs were evident; I was impressed with the work ethic which I saw from Noray the player who  was in Lebanon.

However, I don't know if it was the pace of the game or the players' approach to the game but there is an intangible PROFESSIONAL quality missing which must be developed.

The atmosphere in the stadium  is less than conducive for creating a sense of football. It was dead but then it was the weekend when the games were competing for marketing dollars with various soca fetes. Which brings up a point about
1. the fan base/ community base suppport and the lack of marketing by the teams. If each team has to market their respective home game, then better work must be done from selling the product to concessions at the stadium to team's paraphernalia. There is work to be done all in the  name of creating a professional atmosphere.

2. The competing tension by some fans: do you go to a game or go to a fete?

The product , the games themselves have to improve. The  disproportionate level of skills among players  is evident. There are those who stand out and those who are  below par. It is frustrating as a new fan to go to the game and there is not even a program to help you identify the players or the teams. No score clocks to check time or players.

I suggested that maybe it would raise interest if a second division Brazilian side or  from any foreign land come down and had a series of friendlies against pro league teams throughout a week or so. But some serious markting has to be done to  profile these games, increase revenue, and improve the quality of football on the field.

For a person like me who enjoys the heading to the stadium and taking in the games, I would have no problems  supporting and going to more games if I was in Trinidad. I think  the standard pf play would get better with some moves in the right direction by the players and management.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 08:38:53 PM »
Thanx Alberta
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 07:55:06 AM »
I am encouraged by the present national coach to take the stance,  to have the conviction, and  to field a team of primarily local players to face  a team like Japan. The emphasis and rhetoric thus far from Wim about  'wanting  to work with the local pros'  is a marked deviation from other national coaches who decried the  local resources yet with all their expertise, did little to improve the local standard of play.

The mark of  a coach in this context will be working and getting results with the limited talent base compared to a renown coach who has all the talent available to him. Let's give Wim an opportunity to do what he said he would do.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 11:40:02 PM »
I am encouraged by the present national coach to take the stance,  to have the conviction, and  to field a team of primarily local players to face  a team like Japan. The emphasis and rhetoric thus far from Wim about  'wanting  to work with the local pros'  is a marked deviation from other national coaches who decried the  local resources yet with all their expertise, did little to improve the local standard of play.

The mark of  a coach in this context will be working and getting results with the limited talent base compared to a renown coach who has all the talent available to him. Let's give Wim an opportunity to do what he said he would do.
The way I see it is that Benhaker was the mastermind behind the whole thing but Wim was the person doing the work. Now I was not there to see it my self but that is the picture I get. Wim is the one to get the players up to a certain playing level and Bennie polish them up. That is why he has a assistant. Same with Erickson and all bug Managers. They do the managing and there is an assistant to do the coaching. What would Alex Furgerson be with out all the assistants that he has had over the years(including McLaren)

What Wim will do now that he has time is get the level of the home based players up to a higher standard so that we can have a larger player pool to chose from. Both now and with the junior teams for the future. He is going to build a platform so that in 2 yrs when Bennie come back he will be able to do his thing.

Allyuh really think Bennie go leave he no. 2 behind just so.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 08:59:14 AM »
But what exactly is the plan? has the coach or the TTFF produced a plan for the development of  local professional players for TNT?

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006, 09:28:36 AM »

before you criticize 'other coaches', consider this:

1) Wim has 2 years to prepare the team for WC qualifiers. He does not have to adopt a 'quick fix' approach and he can start his regime without solely focusing on results and focus a little more on recruiting and development. At this stage everyone is dong what Wim is doing including Dunga, Van Basten etc..

2) The non-locals are starting their seasons and were generally not available. Wim and co were diplomatic and did not anger their clubs by trying to force a call-up. If Carlos and co. were all available with ease...that side was not going to look so local.

3) If by other coaches you mean Beenie  read on...else yuh could stop dey ;) He had to get results right away and he did. After that he had to develop a team to play in the WC in a few months. He did not have time to groom too many inexperienced players. Even so, he called a few camps for local players and the PFL coaches complained and refused to release their players...He met great resistance. What was he to do..it was the local coaches who did not want to lose their players during the season. So careful who you point the finger at. In the end I think he had 2 all-local camps, still took an all-local team to Florida for a series of friendlies, held all-local screening camps, gave locals an 11th hour chance to impress with 2 friendlies against a Grenadian Olympic team...what more could he do. The team ahd 2 local starters...Whitley and Cyd (count the local starters in for Brazil or Argentina). PLus he took a youth (Wolfe) for his own development...even though he was not going to play...He didn't have to do that.

4) He didn't say anything about the local talent that is news to anyone. And Wim probably feels the same way.

peace

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2006, 09:41:02 AM »
I am not being critical of those coaches but of the stance they took. Two former national coaches, proclaimed that  our local talent was not good enough to provide the impetus for the national team(sic). Granted that may be the case, but yet they did little with their expertise to develop what we had.

Wim thus far has deviated from that path. Yes he has more time. But the two former national coaches did have the time if they wanted to invest in player development and training. One lived in Tobago and one as soon as game done flew out.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 07:33:17 PM by AlbertaTrini »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2006, 07:36:45 PM »
How many more days till the next friendly? is the team in training as yet? or are we just getting together a few days prior and hoping for the best?

If Wim is ah full time coach,  does his mandate constitute  full time daily coaching?

Who and where does the accountability lie? who is overseeing the mandate for that job?
One more time if their is a clamour for government $$$, should the public not demand to know how that money is spent to fulfill the job?

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2006, 04:05:27 AM »
How many more days till the next friendly? is the team in training as yet? or are we just getting together a few days prior and hoping for the best?

If Wim is ah full time coach,  does his mandate constitute  full time daily coaching?

Who and where does the accountability lie? who is overseeing the mandate for that job?
One more time if their is a clamour for government $$$, should the public not demand to know how that money is spent to fulfill the job?

PFL is in season, so there is no way he is a full time daily coach. No national team coach gets his team together daily. He will get the team together for a short time before the game according to FIFA rules regarding firendlies and he may also be able to work something with the local club coaches. In addition, he can schedule camps when it is opportune, etc. But his (and his staff's) daily work will constitute scouting players home and abroad, keeping in contact with players, setting personal programs and goals for his players so that they maintain the level of fitness and technical skill level he wants of them regardless of what they do in club training......etc. But national team coaches have limited time where they actually get to the team together to train, mainly due to club commitments of the players

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2006, 04:23:11 AM »
I am not being critical of those coaches but of the stance they took. Two former national coaches, proclaimed that  our local talent was not good enough to provide the impetus for the national team(sic). Granted that may be the case, but yet they did little with their expertise to develop what we had.

given my earlier response...elaborate on what more you think Beenie should have done. Beenie's job was to select the best team at the time...not develop our local players..that is something you carefully plan and dedicate years to...not try to rush over a few months. Even so, he did take the time to try and wqork exclusively withthe local players while he was here despite some resistance from the local clubs and when faced with hte resistance he got no support from the TTFF.

I wouldn't pass judgement on Beenie's departure. He did just about everything he was asked to do. Perhaps he saw that continuing in T&T required a long term commitment that he did not possess at his age. After a lifetime in the game, Beenie is doing what is best for his career now. But he left us with a young and hopefully committed coach in Wim. And that in itself is a contribution to T&T football from Beenie

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2006, 11:08:16 AM »
Just when I thought Wim would be differnt in his  stance, the man fall in to the cry of denouncing local talent as inadequate.

What implications does this have for the development of  a senior team in the future?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 12:09:05 PM by AlbertaTrini »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2006, 12:09:29 PM »
ah still feel it have people give we ah 6 fuh ah 9 .

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2007, 09:45:02 PM »
Well it looks like the local flavour is the  focus now.  Could we build on this?

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2011, 12:18:32 PM »
Is like TTFF stuck in a 'time warp'

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2011, 02:52:57 AM »
In my lifetime of T&T football, Wim and Gally appear to do the most with the least. I would support Wim for our next coach.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2011, 04:35:49 AM »
In my lifetime of T&T football, Wim and Gally appear to do the most with the least. I would support Wim for our next coach.
     What is it they did?it have Coaches that did a lot better than these guys,that includes Women and Youth Football.When you say the least what do you mean?lifetime ! how long you around Football?   

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 07:42:21 PM »
We still eh reach yet. We cultivated short term crop that die out and eh left no substantial seed to  sprout.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2014, 04:43:25 PM »
Time to rethink where are our players  along the tier of professional?

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Cultivating a professional football ethos in TNT
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2019, 02:10:41 AM »
very good post alberta, real good players yuh call out dey, yuh 4gettin hardest ;D, jagdeosingh and tinto, but otherwsie very good list  :beermug: :applause:

Now the cultivation has to begin- like now
 We only have to climb up
We at the lowest now

1]; } ?>