March 29, 2024, 09:49:31 AM

Author Topic: What position should Yorke play?  (Read 4601 times)

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
What position should Yorke play?
« on: August 10, 2006, 03:35:17 AM »
If Yorke is to carry on i am very interested do know which position you all feel he should play to best equip T&T to do the business?

In another topic I made a passing comment (I probably should not have posted it there but I was provoked) that I felt that Yorke, although doing the job that he was given very well, was overall ineffective in the World Cup. I came back a week later to find that 100% of the posts thought that he was effective. I am going to clarify why I feel he was relatively ineffective in the World Cup and also why I think he should play further up the field regardless of who we are playing.

When Rooney played up front on his own against Ecuador and Portugal he was ineffective because playing with his back to goal. Being able to drop deep and find space is his natural game. He still played his heart out and gave the defences some trouble but overall he was ineffective. That does not mean he is not a great player.

In the same way Yorke is a great player, played his heart out and helped the defence he was non-existent in attack because he was so deep. If he was put deep to help us keep the ball then it did not work because we lost the ball the majority of the time it went into the oppositions half because there was no one with the technical ability to keep the ball. If you watch the tapes again you will see it was glaringly obvious we lost the ball any time we had a half chance to attack.

All the opposition teams were probably glad that our best player was not going to be in their final third to cause any problems, that is why Lampard and Gerrard were able to get forward all of the time because they had no one to pick up in their own half.

Anyways, I have talked enough, where would you people want Yorke to play in the future? Please do not skip the question. (Obviously i think he should play behind the forward/forwards)

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
Re: What position should Yorke play?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 04:07:01 AM »
Its in no way Yorke's ineffective... you have to understand that his defensive sturdiness is essential to our team.. I believe its more so that our other midfield players (Whitely, Birchall, Edwards) need to push up more and now that the World Cup is over and we want to redevelope the team im sure the will look to do that and be the more Attacking players... our forwards too need to take on defenses more often...

Cornell Glen seemed to be quite good at doing so... Jones was a dissapointment in the sense that he really had alot to offer and didnt by any stretch show case his true talent with running at defences...

And Stern... was good in his ball control and passing however... I never really found he made alot of space for himself to fire off any considerable shots.

since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 04:10:25 AM »
I would suggest that you look at the problems we encountered when Yorke was deployed in a more advanced role. At the end of the day, he is the player who NEVER hides from the ball and brought some order to our possession. He has been our most sought outlet, hence the very directness in our play prior to his move into midfield. It may have been the intent to have him play higher up the field, but the rigidity of our play, and lack of team mobility dictated that he had to play deeper.

Yes, we didn't have much going forward, but it always comes down to what's best for the team and not what's his best position.
Live large and prosper!

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 04:22:39 AM »
I would suggest that you look at the problems we encountered when Yorke was deployed in a more advanced role. At the end of the day, he is the player who NEVER hides from the ball and brought some order to our possession. He has been our most sought outlet, hence the very directness in our play prior to his move into midfield. It may have been the intent to have him play higher up the field, but the rigidity of our play, and lack of team mobility dictated that he had to play deeper.

Yes, we didn't have much going forward, but it always comes down to what's best for the team and not what's his best position.

Under Beenhakker when Yorke was playing in a more advanced role we did not have that many defensive worries as you seem to suggest- for example games against Mexico, Bahrain, Iceland etc.

I am saying that it would be better for the team if Yorke played a more advanced role. That is the whole point of the argument.

Are you going to say what position you think he should play or not?

Its in no way Yorke's ineffective... you have to understand that his defensive sturdiness is essential to our team.. I believe its more so that our other midfield players (Whitely, Birchall, Edwards) need to push up more and now that the World Cup is over and we want to redevelope the team im sure the will look to do that and be the more Attacking players... our forwards too need to take on defenses more often...

Cornell Glen seemed to be quite good at doing so... Jones was a dissapointment in the sense that he really had alot to offer and didnt by any stretch show case his true talent with running at defences...

And Stern... was good in his ball control and passing however... I never really found he made alot of space for himself to fire off any considerable shots.

Do you really feel Whitley and Birchall should be pushing on in front of Yorke?

Of course the defence is the first block to build on but with Hislop, John, Gray, Lawrence, Sancho, Birchall, Whitley, Edwards, Theobald, playing behind Yorke that is defensive enough.

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 05:26:46 AM »

Under Beenhakker when Yorke was playing in a more advanced role we did not have that many defensive worries as you seem to suggest- for example games against Mexico, Bahrain, Iceland etc.

I am saying that it would be better for the team if Yorke played a more advanced role. That is the whole point of the argument.

Do you really feel Whitley and Birchall should be pushing on in front of Yorke?

Of course the defence is the first block to build on but with Hislop, John, Gray, Lawrence, Sancho, Birchall, Whitley, Edwards, Theobald, playing behind Yorke that is defensive enough.

he should stay exactly where he is... a defensive midfielder that advances forward depending on where his fellow midfielders are...

YES I think Whitely and Birchall should go up... Birchall has a good shot and he doesnt hestitate when in a good position to use it i'de say you should get him as close to goal as possible and Whitely is fast and has a decent shot too... and Carlos Edwards... well his attacking ability is pretty obvious... he is very good at running at an oppositions defence so he most of all should be looking to attack seeing as how penetrating he can be...
 SO YES.

I would very much look for them to be attacking.

Yorke has exchanged the qualities of Youth and Drive for Wisedom more Experience...

So I think him holding the ball more, creating forward plays from a deeper position and looking to choke out oncoming attacks at this point in his career is natural.

And Carlos Edwards... well his attacking ability is pretty obvious...

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 05:43:54 AM »
I think Yorke's best position is as the deep lying striker, behind a front man with mobility preferably, with 2 defensive midfielders behind him doing the dirty work and passing it to him. However, since we did not have those type of midfielders in the country Yorke proved to be the person most capable of adapting to that role.

I am hoping that we can develop some players to do all the dirty work and allow Dwight to just collect the ball, feed it out wide to Carlos, Josh, Cornell, Samuel or whoever we get on the left..to whip in the crosses for him and Kenwyne Jones to put away !!
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 05:57:45 AM »
Remie yuh forget what we was playing in.
Dat was de world cup son.
Beenie play a style dat he never use before in any of trinidad games.
Ultra Ultra defensive.
Yorke is the best reader of the game apart from Latas.
So Yorke's role was to braek down play infront of de defensive six  we had , organise de two midfielders he had alongside and try to get the ball to "lazyman" Stern who had a whole half of the field to patrol.
He also had to get back in the middle of defence to make sure they kept their shape.
If that was not done, then it is quite possible there could have been a richs in goals for the opposing teams as shown when we tried to be a little and I mean little adventurous as shown in the Paraguay game.
So against opposition like St Vincent and St lucia and Jamaica and dem yes Yorke will play a more attacking role
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 06:21:30 AM »
Very True. Also his motivational qualities  can give a defense a degree of confidence. In my opinion he was played too deep....but the priority was on defense. He should be a bit more foward.....but it done now. My biggest problem with yorke's use......you is dwight yorke....a man who score millions of set pieces with dat head.....and you taking dem?? Dwight Yorke in dat box woulda command more attention from any defense due to his reputation for being a good header of the ball.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 06:44:08 AM »
Remie yuh forget what we was playing in.
Dat was de world cup son.
Beenie play a style dat he never use before in any of trinidad games.
Ultra Ultra defensive.
So Yorke's role was to braek down play infront of de defensive six  we had , organise de two midfielders he had alongside and try to get the ball to "lazyman" Stern who had a whole half of the field to patrol.
He also had to get back in the middle of defence to make sure they kept their shape.
If that was not done, then it is quite possible there could have been a richs in goals for the opposing teams as shown when we tried to be a little and I mean little adventurous as shown in the Paraguay game.
So against opposition like St Vincent and St lucia and Jamaica and dem yes Yorke will play a more attacking role

Being fair to Beenhakker, yes it was the World Cup and the priority was not to take 5 each game. But i think he underestimated and some of you are still underestimating the job that Whitley and Birchall can do in front of the back four. We gave all three teams way too much respect. Even against Paraguay Yorke was playing really deep. Those three teams were a very long way short of their best but T&T stayed in their shells and did not come out to play.

I could have understood if Yorke was linking the defense to the midfield and Latapy was linking the midfield to the attack, but we know this was not the case. There was no technical ability in the final third.

I rate Whitley and Birchall as holding players but lets face it they will never have the ability to perform the roles that Yorke and Latapy of unlocking defences. I think it is a waste to say that just because Yorke is the best reader of the game we should waste his unique ability. When we play Mexico and USA are we going to run scared and play Yorke as a defensive midfielder? I hope not.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 07:15:10 AM by Remie »

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 07:11:13 AM »
The Nakhid article refers.  ;D ;D
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 07:57:17 AM »
The Nakhid article refers. ;D ;D

Boss what u mean by this?

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 07:58:54 AM »

stewps.

David Nahkid did his usual maniacle rabbling after the world cup... alot of which in its own way around the fringes of sanity addressed alot of these issues through his personal opinion...

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 08:10:05 AM »

stewps.

David Nahkid did his usual maniacle rabbling after the world cup... alot of which in its own way around the fringes of sanity addressed alot of these issues through his personal opinion...

Im still not sure what the relevance of David Nahkid has to do with this?

This is supposed to be a serious debate about what position Yorke should play for T&T over the next four years. Most of the posters seem to think against the bigger teams Yorke should still play as a defensive/holding midfielder. I find this interesting, although i disagree, and i would like to hear more peoples opinions on this.

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 08:13:11 AM »

stewps.

This is supposed to be a serious debate about what position Yorke should play for T&T over the next four years. Most of the posters seem to think against the bigger teams Yorke should still play as a defensive/holding midfielder. I find this interesting, although i disagree, and i would like to hear more peoples opinions on this.

stewps... how isnt it relevant?

Nahkid said the same thing you did however what he was stating was that he was playing more defensive becuase it was the world cup.

would you be taking the chance of experimenting while playing in the WC?

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 08:30:20 AM »

stewps.

Nahkid said the same thing you did however what he was stating was that he was playing more defensive becuase it was the world cup.

If it is relevant i apologise because i have not read this article. But from the way you first described it seemed to me as if it wasnt. Again, i apologise.

However i will touch on your last two lines.

Of course T&T had to play more defensive in the World Cup- that is a no brainer.

Playing Yorke in a more advanced role in front of Whitley and Birchall would not have been an experiment as it was tried successfully against Iceland and it would not be the first time he has played in this role seeing as though that is his natural position.

I think we are slipping away from the main debate though.

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2006, 08:41:40 AM »

stewps.

If it is relevant i apologise because i have not read this article. But from the way you first described it seemed to me as if it wasnt. Again, i apologise.

However i will touch on your last two lines.

Of course T&T had to play more defensive in the World Cup- that is a no brainer.

Playing Yorke in a more advanced role in front of Whitley and Birchall would not have been an experiment as it was tried successfully against Iceland and it would not be the first time he has played in this role seeing as though that is his natural position.

I think we are slipping away from the main debate though.

point taken... no need to apologise man.

well... Iceland is a good example however... they really were much less of competition in comparison to the following teams...

It seems when we play big opposition Yorke has a harder time keeping up with the Attacking and Defending in midfield... In football the most tiring positions are attacking midfielders and wing backs both have to do alot of work in attack and defence hence why they are usually super fit... Yorke himself is extremely fit... however... he is still an older player and may very well be moe culnerable to frequent injuries... I dont think it would be wise to try to push him too much at this point...

If he is comfortable in the position he's in right now... and he gets the job done there id say you dont need to fix what isnt broken... let other players around him step up to develope the attack.

pardon me if i was alittle aggressive.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2006, 10:18:41 AM »
Yorke should play the step down position, where he steps down and allows a youth to be groomed into his role over the next 4 years.......No disrespect to the skipper- he's done a great job, but he should bow out, and not clog up a space that a 22 yr old could possibly start gaining experience in. Next WC Yorke will be about 37 or 38 ? What sense does that make ?...then what ???  someone who was waiting in the shadows for 4 years has to step in to fill his shoes with significantly less experience ? not smart.....

....step down Yorkie....yuh lived yuh dream now step down...

my opinion
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 10:23:22 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2006, 10:26:42 AM »
No disrespect to the skipper- he's done a great job, but he should bow out, and not clog up a space that a 22 yr old could possibly start gaining experience in.

Ironically - being mindful of the "Blanking Beckham" thread - Theobald is supposed to be that 22 yr old. This is another reason why I thought he should stick with Falkirk, they are improving in the SPL, playing better football, and he'd be under the guidance of Latas no less. To me, Bleeder 4cup a good thing. My opinion.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2006, 11:41:41 AM »
Special Advisor/Mentor/Inspirational Coach.

Offline doublet750

• Hero Warrior
  • mi nuevo nombre es dinho mi vida es joga bonito
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2006, 11:53:49 AM »
kicker....i think its more of using him to enstill a lil something in the younger guys no doubt......example when you knew to something but you workignw ith a veteran if you mess up somebody expereicened always tehre to show you the mistake and clean up after you or let you noe wat coulda been done...so keep him around  for at least a good 2/3 years let him let the youths get comfortable..prolly put him in a holding mid role and interchange witha youngster and bit by bit start subbing him out the games an watch teh team make progress

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2006, 12:49:11 PM »
[I

he should stay exactly where he is... a defensive midfielder that advances forward depending on where his fellow midfielders are...

YES I think Whitely and Birchall should go up... Birchall has a good shot and he doesnt hestitate when in a good position to use it i'de say you should get him as close to goal as possible and Whitely is fast and has a decent shot too... and Carlos Edwards... well his attacking ability is pretty obvious... he is very good at running at an oppositions defence so he most of all should be looking to attack seeing as how penetrating he can be...
 SO YES.

I would very much look for them to be attacking.

Yorke has exchanged the qualities of Youth and Drive for Wisedom more Experience...

So I think him holding the ball more, creating forward plays from a deeper position and looking to choke out oncoming attacks at this point in his career is natural.

And Carlos Edwards... well his attacking ability is pretty obvious...

CHECK THE FINAL 24 MINUTES IN THE pARAGUAY GAME AND SEE HOW MUCH FREEDOM yOKE HAD TO COME UP WHEN LATAPY WAS ON THE FIELD.
I believe it all depends on who you have in the team. we dont have anyone who can hold the ball up in midfeld like latapy, Curtis Murrell, Hutson charles, david Nakhid and the young hardest. ( I saw him in Trinidad recently ...only saw a shadow of what he once was ...a real shame ..overweight with little invention )
Obviously you use your players to best suit your team...eg, rougiier played defence for T&T but foward for port vale etc...a winger to booth !
look at kenwyn jones ....went to Southampton as a defender and ended up scoring goals as a foward on
loan.
I think I would bow to the coach seeing the other players and making a decision based on the quality of players available.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2006, 01:10:21 PM »
none.  time to pass the baton.

Yorke needs to retire before next years Shell Cup (or whatever they call it now).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 01:37:46 PM by Jahyouth »

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2006, 03:08:10 PM »
Yorke should play the step down position, where he steps down and allows a youth to be groomed into his role over the next 4 years.......No disrespect to the skipper- he's done a great job, but he should bow out, and not clog up a space that a 22 yr old could possibly start gaining experience in. Next WC Yorke will be about 37 or 38 ? What sense does that make ?...then what ???  someone who was waiting in the shadows for 4 years has to step in to fill his shoes with significantly less experience ? not smart.....

....step down Yorkie....yuh lived yuh dream now step down...

my opinion

and wam tuh Latapy... yuh woulda say de same fuh him... cuz hes older and yet without him we would not have made it to the world cup...

same goes for Yorke... who says Yorke is clogging up midfield... If anything Yorke is a shining example we need to have in the spot light for the upcoming talents.

plus hes 34 and is still probably the fittest man on the squad...

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2006, 03:24:49 AM »
If players come through that show both potential and when given their chance prove that they are worthy of playing at the highest level then maybe that would be the time for Yorke to contemplate retiring, but at the moment I find it amazing that people want Yorke to hang up his boots at 34. Providing we get to the World Cup in 2010 he will be 38. To have one 38 year old of Yorke’s class at least in the squad would be a vital asset to us.

To all those who think that he should retire please can you give me any names of players currently/potentially who you feel on the international stage can/could keep the ball when under pressure, have a great range of passing, and can finish. In fact name me any players that have any of these attributes let alone all three.

Coming back to the argument about whether he should play as a defensive midfielder or not, in a normal case scenario two defensive midfielders are normally picked. We have Whitley, Birchall and Spann, who should all be in their peak come the qualifiers and the World Cup itself. Those three players over the last year have excelled in the defensive midfield position. I see no reason why they cannot fill those slots.  One place where we are weak is holding on to the ball in the final third and creating chances for the forwards. Birchall and Whitley may have a good bullet but you need that bit extra in the final third- class.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 03:33:53 AM by Remie »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2006, 07:28:53 AM »
Never said he's not good, neither did I say that he wouldn't add to the team in 2010.......but in the interest of long term & youth development, I thnk he should bow out....I'd rather a young player get 4 years of Nat'l team exposure and be ready for 2010/2014, than Yorke clog up a spot just to have that same young player almost be starting from scratch in the Nat'l team 4 years later.......

Many players who are still capable of adding to their Nat'l squads do the same when they get to a certain age, to clear the way for the younger ones.... so it's not that outrageous to think of...

....just my opinion.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 07:33:59 AM by kicker »

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2006, 08:58:30 AM »
I understand your point of view kicker.

Although i am surprised some people would like Yorke to step down, i am more surprised that only a few T&T supporters seem to have an opinion on what position Yorke should play or whether he should continue or not! I would have thought this was a big talking point in the future of T&Ts football?

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2006, 09:22:45 AM »
I understand your point of view kicker.

Although i am surprised some people would like Yorke to step down, i am more surprised that only a few T&T supporters seem to have an opinion on what position Yorke should play or whether he should continue or not! I would have thought this was a big talking point in the future of T&Ts football?

Where he should play is probably not set in stone. Who would have thought that he'd ultimately play a holding role for T&T in our campaign ?..... but it so happened that it was the best place for him and for the team given the other players in the selection....I think the same thing will apply in the future if he is to stick around. He is fairly versatile, and would play where he is best needed, contingent on who else is on the squad. For now I'd say he looked comfortable where he was and did a really good job...I'd almost say to leave him there......but then again when he first came back out, I would have said play him up top with Stern......

..so who knows ?

TrinInfinite

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2006, 09:53:06 AM »
yorke in a defensive mid role, cornell off the bench is much more effective, start scotland and jones, but i rather see jones in the mid or defense, hes naturally not a striker

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2006, 10:03:15 AM »
IMO Yorke does not need to retire, but if there is good enough young talent to replace him, I hope the coaches are brave enough to select them ahead of Yorkie. However, most coaches are under too much pressure to achieve results and too lazy to search for new talent. So sometimes a good old pro retires to 'force' the establishment to find that new talent.

Yorke can no longer run at defenses and he is not a classic central midfielder or playmaker. He does not have the ability to collect the ball under pressure, shake off his man and deliver a killer 30 yard pass or an incisive through ball. His passing seems pretty limited and I don't think he has the vision you need for that role (ala Latas in his prime, Pirlo, Riquelme, Xavi etc..).

He could still play a link up man role in the forward line (a sort of support striker). T&T would need better on and off ball movement in the midfield for that to be fruitful. We didn't in the Hex..so it wasn't..who knows for the future though. With his intelligent footballing brain and sound technique and composure he is also well suited to the holding midfielder role. He reads the game well, and can help maintain possession with good control, simple passing and constant movement to make himself and available outlet for other players under pressure...kinda what he is doing now

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2006, 11:02:29 AM »
yorke in a defensive mid role, cornell off the bench is much more effective, start scotland and jones, but i rather see jones in the mid or defense, hes naturally not a striker

stewps hes naturally not a striker??

so asshole you was dey when we would be playin practice match at GGS and he would be playing defense and still runnin whole field and scorin at will...

you was dey when everyone say "Stewps Kenny why you doh play striker, eh?"

He eh ah naturally a striker... hush yuh ass nuh... the man is about as naturally a defensive player as you are a football guru.

1]; } ?>