March 29, 2024, 08:19:26 AM

Author Topic: Kobe Dreams Of Soccer  (Read 4759 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kobe Dreams Of Soccer
« on: August 10, 2006, 07:07:30 AM »
Kobe Dreams Of Soccer
ESPN Soccernet

With three NBA Championships to his credit with the Los Angeles Lakers it is hard to think of Kobe Bryant asking what if.  What if he and some of the other great athletes in the NBA had grown up with a soccer ball rather than a basketball bouncing around the house?

"If myself, Tracy McGrady and LeBron James had a soccer ball at our feet instead of a basketball at 2 years old, with our size, it could have been something," Bryant told the Chicago Tribune. "If we had played soccer all our lives, I think [the U.S. soccer team] would have been pretty potent [in the World Cup]."

Bryant grew up playing both basketball and soccer after his dad moved to Italy when the young Kobe was 6 years old.  While in Europe he developed and appreciation for the game so adored around the globe and still credits his time playing soccer has helping improve his basketball skills although did point out he was no soccer superstar.

"I'm comfortable [with basketball] footwork because I played soccer," Bryant said, "from changing up rhythms to foot speed, to being comfortable with having my right foot as my pivot foot and my left foot as my pivot foot."

"I wasn't anything spectacular," Bryant said. "I would have moments of doing something crazy that really wasn't done on purpose. I'd pull off a nice move that was unintentional.”

After returning to the U.S. in 1991, Bryant’s attention turned solely to basketball and his dream of playing in the NBA but knows had he remained in Europe he would have continued to play soccer and just maybe would have wound up playing for his team, the Rossoneri.

"I would have kept playing [soccer], that's for sure," Bryant said. "I loved basketball so much, but I also wanted to play for AC Milan. That was my team growing up."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Re: Kobe Dreams Of Soccer
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 07:36:43 AM »
tallman is crouch and dennis de tallest football players of all time.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Trini_fan

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 07:48:43 AM »
Hmmmm. guess that explains the ads

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 07:50:26 AM »
If he was playin for AC Milan, he woulda just hog de ball like normal until somebody buss he ankle
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 08:02:23 AM »
Hmmmm. guess that explains the ads

yeah... I also think it kinda rediculous... as if Tall people had never tried football out??

stewps.

yeah then if you mean yall fellahz around 6'6 - 6'8 would bin good in particular for your height advantage then that bumbling fool Yao Ming woulda bin the greatest footballer of all time!

::)
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 08:10:00 AM »
Nah, Jan Koller taller dan both ah dem. It have ah goalkeeper from Denmark named Tonny Nielsen who is about 206cm (6' 10"); he plays for Doncaster Rovers.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 09:57:45 AM »
Playing football helps out with the game of basketball in so many ways... no wonder why Kobe has such a great first step on his defender and the ability to play such good defence all because of his foot work. I will incled some more players that have benefited form the playing soccer that have help them elevate their game in NBA basketball...Patrick Ewing,Hakeem Olajuwon,Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitzki.  :)
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock itit will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

TrinInfinite

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 10:06:06 AM »
Playing football helps out with the game of basketball in so many ways... no wonder why Kobe has such a great first step on his defender and the ability to play such good defence all because of his foot work. I will incled some more players that have benefited form the playing soccer that have help them elevate their game in NBA basketball...Patrick Ewing,Hakeem Olajuwon,Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitzki. :)
:beermug:
football also helps with yuh vertical also... believe it or not

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 10:40:14 AM »
Playing football helps out with the game of basketball in so many ways... no wonder why Kobe has such a great first step on his defender and the ability to play such good defence all because of his foot work. I will incled some more players that have benefited form the playing soccer that have help them elevate their game in NBA basketball...Patrick Ewing,Hakeem Olajuwon,Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitzki. :)
:beermug:
football also helps with yuh vertical also... believe it or not
Ent! :beermug:
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock itit will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 10:40:56 AM »
If he was playin for AC Milan, he woulda just hog de ball like normal until somebody buss he ankle

true dat!

or he would score 3 goals every game. however, the other team would score 5.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 11:45:41 AM »

it had a man name Torre Andre Flo to long time who was real tall

Ms que un club.

Offline nobody_s angel

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 12:11:23 PM »
Kobe Dreams Of Soccer
ESPN Soccernet

"If myself, Tracy McGrady and LeBron James had a soccer ball at our feet instead of a basketball at 2 years old, with our size, it could have been something," Bryant told the Chicago Tribune. "If we had played soccer all our lives, I think [the U.S. soccer team] would have been pretty potent [in the World Cup]."

STEUPS

Nope they just would have never reached the World Cup in the first place.

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 12:51:13 PM »
Kobe Dreams Of Soccer
ESPN Soccernet

STEUPS

Leh we take this tread to another level nah! Does it take more skill to play the game of football than that of basketball or what?  From playing both sports...I would say football is much harder when a person has to control a ball with your feet while the brain is considering diverent options... to either spanner,drag, pass or shoot. ;D Kobe and Lebron would not have had it that easy playing in a top league.

Offline Lightning

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 12:57:41 PM »
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

Offline nobody_s angel

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 01:00:25 PM »
Kobe Dreams Of Soccer
ESPN Soccernet

STEUPS

Leh we take this tread to another level nah! Does it take more skill to play the game of football than that of basketball or what? From playing both sports...I would say football is much harder when a person has to control a ball with your feet while the brain is considering diverent options... to either spanner,drag, pass or shoot. ;D Kobe and Lebron would not have had it that easy playing in a top league.

I honestly agree.

Although I would like to think that the sport that I play is the best in the world and requires the highest levels of skill and ability, I would be a liar if I were to think that.

You can't fake fitness for football.

You run for 45mins straight. Netball is 15 and basketball is 12 with time outs. Iverson, NAsh and maybe Kobe will run the whole 12 but remember Nash had a football background and I guess you could count Kobe in that also.

I really do believe that football is a whole different kettle of fish and everyone is entitled to dream.

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2006, 01:17:48 PM »
Anyone can bounce a basketball and shoot it but ask them to dribble and make ah proper pass nah! ::)

TrinInfinite

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2006, 01:20:34 PM »
Anyone can bounce a basketball and shoot it but ask them to dribble and make ah proper pass nah! ::)

im a baller and 2 b honest, football is a harder sport, doh i found it easier for me, basketball is not a hard sport, its easy, it have some real shithounds who play ball in the nba, on a football team, you have to be more fit, by far than on a basketball court, football by far is a harder sport :beermug:

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2006, 01:26:18 PM »

im a baller and 2 b honest, football is a harder sport, doh i found it easier for me, basketball is not a hard sport, its easy, it have some real shithounds who play ball in the nba, on a football team, you have to be more fit, by far than on a basketball court, football by far is a harder sport :beermug:

that is a retarded argument
not everybody could pass and shoot
not everybody could bounce a ball
not everybody could bowl a ball or hit it
for instance, not for love or money I could play table tennis and it does look easy enough

in every sport you need some sort of God given talent, somebody could tach you the basics and you still won't be very good

and football eh no harder sport than Basketball cause it eh easy for a 7 foot 300 pound man to jump and land on yuh back

I play real sports in my time, I playing anything with a ball and the hardest sport Iplay is water polo. That sport real hard and physical. The fuss day I play my whole head sweal up with elbow to face not to mention man grabbing yuh seeds underwater to pull yuh down.

Ms que un club.

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2006, 01:47:21 PM »
The only real beauty of BB for real is watching the ball leave one hands while it make it way to the rim and goes in and make a joop sound. With football is ah difference story... even if ah player or a team don't score you can see what it really takes to play this sport... stamina,strength concentration and heart etc. Just watching how ah man can make ah pass across the field and put the ball on target to ones feet or chest to dribble an opposing defence is incredible or one would say brilliant to shoot at goal to have the ball graze of the cross bar is remarkable. I could go home with that in my mind and say that was ah good game. What a beautiful sport in what we call football.

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2006, 01:54:29 PM »

for instance, not for love or money I could play table tennis and it does look easy enough

in every sport you need some sort of God given talent, somebody could tach you the basics and you still won't be very good

and football eh no harder sport than Basketball cause it eh easy for a 7 foot 300 pound man to jump and land on yuh back

I play real sports in my time, I playing anything with a ball and the hardest sport Iplay is water polo. That sport real hard and physical. The fuss day I play my whole head sweal up with elbow to face not to mention man grabbing yuh seeds underwater to pull yuh down.

If somebody for real can't bounce ah Basketball meh boy or any ball as a matter of fact they really retarded! ???

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2006, 02:02:57 PM »
Nah, Jan Koller taller dan both ah dem. It have ah goalkeeper from Denmark named Tonny Nielsen who is about 206cm (6' 10"); he plays for Doncaster Rovers.
thanks.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2006, 02:26:09 PM »

TI, it have no shithounds in the NBA. If you comparing to MJ and Magic... but be fair; compare the amount of men who actually make it in the NBA to the amount of men playing ball. Everybody knows a baller who they think better than this one or that one in the NBA, but it takes something special to actually make it.
I played both sports, and I could tell you, playing 5-a-side full court ball ent easy at all. Somebody talked about faking fitness; well try playing one-on-one defence against a REAL baller; you will find out how fit you are  :P
Not anyone can bounce a basketball and shoot; that takes REAL practice and dedication (Larry Bird used to stay after parctice and take 800 shots a day by himself). All sports and sportsmen who get to that level need respect.

Respect  :)
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2006, 08:45:08 PM »
nah man football i wud say is de harder of de two, wen u think about uneven bounce due tuh man slid tacklin n studs diggin up de field de weather is is also ah factor it varies from de wind tuh de rain n moister on de ground where as basketballers jes need tuh know how tuh play in one environment and come on i find it easier doin tings wid my hands dan my feet
all dat is necessary is necessary

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2006, 08:57:14 PM »
anybody who bawling one sport harder than the next never play no sport at any high level

I is a man swim competitive, play under 14 cricket and play football

and I could tell yuh all was hard at one point or the other
weather it be training, the actual day, the mental or the physical aspect

Basketball just as demanding physically on a full court as anything else cause is a fast game, yuh always sprinting and jumping
Well training for swimming was the hardest ever, coming down to the end it had vomitting involved
Cricket in Fatima under Harry as anybody here could tell yuh was torture it might not be as taxing on the body but standing up 3 days in the sun eh easy on yuh body.

Ms que un club.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2006, 10:40:33 PM »
When disgruntled making th emost sense in a thread yuh know something wrong.

The only real beauty of BB for real is watching the ball leave one hands while it make it way to the rim and goes in and make a joop sound. With football is ah difference story...

If the only beautiful thing abouot basket ball for you is shooting then you do not know basketball. That is like Americans saying that "soccer" is shit because plenty goals don't score and there aren't planty shots on goals. Passing in basketball is as much of an art form as football, don't talk for blocking, stealing and rebounding.

If somebody for real can't bounce ah Basketball meh boy or any ball as a matter of fact they really retarded! ???

That is like saying that everybody could swing they foot and kick a football so football must be easy. There is a big difference between bouncing a ball and playing basketball.

You run for 45mins straight. Netball is 15 and basketball is 12 with time outs. Iverson, NAsh and maybe Kobe will run the whole 12 but remember Nash had a football background and I guess you could count Kobe in that also.

I really do believe that football is a whole different kettle of fish and everyone is entitled to dream.

There was a study several years ago that calculated how strenuous different sports are and the most difficult sports in terms of exertion were Tennis Basketball and Swimming.

You can fake fitness in football. In basketball it is up and down on EVERY play and a basketball court is bigger than it looks on TV. It have no stand up and watch while the defence have the ball, when the ball is on the next side of the field or when the next team has it. You also don't have a zone or area where you can stand up and expecta pass. You have to work on EVERY play and it is very obvious when a player isn't pulling his weight unlike football where yuh have certain strikers who can do limited running and still command a place.

THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2006, 10:58:30 PM »

I agree with yuh on everything... water polo is definately the only sport i can say is the clear cut most physically demanding of all ive played... but trying to say that football is harder than basketball is a pompous ass arguement... I have found myself sweating harder than ever playing a heavy game of basketball and yet i somehow feel like when i played a heavy football i someohow felt more sore after than i would have playing an equaly intense game of basketball.

There is really no way of telling.

both are quite strenuous.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2006, 07:42:24 PM »
My question is,has there been in any time a player who has played professional basketball left it to play professional soccer,left soccer and played professional baseball and won championships in all three sports............

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2006, 08:02:23 PM »
My question is,has there been in any time a player who has played professional basketball left it to play professional soccer,left soccer and played professional baseball and won championships in all three sports............
Because you add Soccer to that list I will say it has never happened, and never will. Remember is the US you talking bout. No body there ent leaving Basketball and Baseball to play Soccer.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2006, 08:26:40 PM »

an athlete doing something like would be very well known

closest thing to that professional two sport business was bo jackson and deion sanders...but dais just yankee sports

also ah notice allyuh fellahs usin de 'S' word on ah regular basis now
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2006, 08:47:05 PM »

steups
Stern does run for 45 mins straight
better yet
Ronaldo does run for 45 mins straight
If I see them give a solid 10 I go be surprised
I remember in the first game Brasil play in Germany and Ronaldo get sub the man come off dry

I bet if you plat 5 mins ah football yuh might not even break a sweat but if yuh play 5 mins ah basketball yuh would come off panting.

Ms que un club.

1]; } ?>