April 16, 2024, 06:53:58 AM

Author Topic: New England Skipper  (Read 5488 times)

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
New England Skipper
« on: August 10, 2006, 12:08:04 PM »
Terry named new England skipper 

It is the ultimate honour to be the captain of your country and I am very proud

John Terry
John Terry has been named as the new captain of the England football team.
The 25-year-old was confirmed as David Beckham's successor on Thursday, with Steven Gerrard made vice-captain by new England coach Steve McClaren.

Terry begins his reign as captain in McClaren's first match in charge, a friendly against Greece on 16 August.

McClaren told the Football Association's website: "I'm convinced he will prove to be one of the best captains England has ever had."

McClaren said that the respect that Chelsea skipper Terry commanded among his fellow professionals was behind his decision.

"John has all the attributes an international captain needs - leadership, authority, courage, ability, tactical awareness and a total refusal to accept second-best," he said.

"He has been an inspiration for Chelsea and is at his best in adversity.

"Over the five years I've been involved with the England coaching set-up I've seen first hand the respect that John has among his fellow players.

JOHN TERRY FACTFILE
Born: 7 December 1980
October 1998: Chelsea debut
June 2003: England debut
June 2004: Plays at Euro 2004
August 2004: Appointed Chelsea captain aged 23
April 2005: Lifts Chelsea's first league title since 1955
April 2006: Gets his hands on the Premiership title again
June 2006: Ever present in heart of defence at World Cup
August 2006:
Named England skipper

"There are a number of strong leaders in the squad and he will not lack support on and off the pitch."

Terry said he was delighted with the appointment.

"It is the ultimate honour to be the captain of your country and I am very proud to be given this great opportunity," he said.

"It is an incredible challenge and one I am looking forward to very much."

Steven Gerrard offered his congratulations to his Chelsea counterpart.

"I would like to congratulate John on being appointed England captain. I'm sure he'll do a great job," he said.

"He's a tremendous leader for Chelsea and has all the qualities required to do the role.

"I'm also pleased to have been appointed vice-captain by Steve McClaren today. I am grateful that Steve took the time to call me and inform me of his decision.

"There are a number of captains in the England squad and I know we will all be giving 100% support to Steve and John."

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho said he was always confident Terry would be named captain.

"I knew Steve was inside and from the inside he could not think twice but to choose JT as England captain," he said.

606 VIEW
Gerrard and Neville would both have made excellent captains, but I'm glad it's JT

CWK
606: Have your say 

"JT deserves it. England deserves a captain like him. He loves to work, loves to win, loves to make people happy and confident."

Former Chelsea manager Claudio Ranieri, who made Terry club captain, agreed England had made the right choice.

"I made him captain because he is a leader who always thinks of his team-mates and the squad," Ranieri told BBC Radio Five Live.

"He was respected by his team-mates because he's very correct and very serious and he's a great player and a great man.

"When he was young he made little mistakes [off the pitch], but now he's a man and Steve McClaren has made the best decision."

Terry has won 29 caps since making his debut against Serbia and Montenegro on 3 June 2003.

Beckham stepped down as England captain one day after his team were knocked out of the World Cup quarter-finals by Portugal.

The midfielder had been skipper for six years after being handed the armband by stand-in coach Peter Taylor in 2000.

Central defender Terry was the bookmakers' odds-on favourite to follow Beckham, although many tipped Gerrard to take the role.

A poll commissioned by the BBC Sport website and Radio Five Live had revealed that England fans were divided over who should be the new national captain.

Terry gained 51% of the votes, Gerrard polled 46% and Gary Neville got 2%.

________________________________________________________________________________

I aint too happy bout dat
shoulda been Gerrard
ah go give meh reasons tonight lol

Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline doublet750

• Hero Warrior
  • mi nuevo nombre es dinho mi vida es joga bonito
    • View Profile
Re: New England Skipper
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 12:13:13 PM »
i respect gerrard but i saw no other choice.....this ma is still being remebred for stopping trinidad for taking a famous elad against england in teh world cup witha acrobatic clearance....englands stalworth defender and comands the respect and such from the other guys in teh team...dont see anyone else even fighting for his spo tin teh england team ...stevie g is a Great vice captain and someone u can rely on to help with teh duties...so shouldnt eb no arguemetn as to whether its him or gerard either way it was a good choice ahd it been eithe rone of them so english fans should just be happy

sidenote..keep watching the chelsea classics on FSC and listen carefulyl ..do you hear the way the man dishes out instructiosn to his backline..cleans up for them and ....informs all his teamates when there is a man on and such...i saw him dish a pass to crespo in teh middle and not in a harsh but strong voice he screamed....."Turn Hernan Turn" ..crespo turned and evaided a tackle and made a move to goal ....truthfully i felt like i was getin the instructions :angel:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 12:17:22 PM by doublet750 »

Offline ricky

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 12:13:20 PM »
steupps ah was thnking this was going to be news about Avery and the revs when i see new england

Offline Padams

• Sr. Warrior
  • Great are the Warriors///We shall Prevail!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 12:24:50 PM »
steupps ah was thnking this was going to be news about Avery and the revs when i see new england

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Da man geh tief head yes!!!!
Iz not Pre-Marital Sex, if yuh have no intention 2 geh Married..........

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 12:30:24 PM »
this shit was on the front page of yahoo. why?

england have to be the most overrate team in the world. they eh winning nothing til at least 2066.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 12:37:19 PM »
While I think England is overrated, I give much respect to John Terry, he is a soldier, and reminds me of Maldini, LEAVING IT ON THE FIELD!

Congrats to him, but Trini need a rematch so we could cut they ass

Offline doublet750

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 12:38:04 PM »
andre there wont be a world cup 2066  :'(.gues dats how bad enlgand chances are?

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 12:41:14 PM »
on the bbc board there is a thread that is about 10 pages long (it might have grown since i checked) ppl discussing whether this was the right decision or if gerrard should have been made captain. 

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 12:43:04 PM »
Terry or Gerrard would have done it for me.  Both are inspirational leaders.  I kept asking the questin when he was the odd man out, since Campbell and Ferdinand were Sven's choice as central defenders, when was Sven going to make the change.  In my opinion, he was ready to take one of the two central defender's spot, and he always did well when he got a chance to play, but Sven seemed bent on playing the pair of Campbell abd Ferdinand.  When he got his chance he took it, and he bever looked back.  He will be a better captain than Beckham, in my opinion, as he is more into football and less of the frills.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 12:56:38 PM »
Terry is an ass.

This is a man who said derogatory things and ridiculed Americans on September 11 in a drunken stupor. The man is a thug

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 01:03:12 PM »
Terry is an ass.

This is a man who said derogatory things and ridiculed Americans on September 11 in a drunken stupor. The man is a thug

De man is ah former YTS trainee.... lewee give him the benefit of the doubt that he is ah reformed man nah!

That was five years ago....
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 01:17:16 PM »
He has turned a page.  I'm aware of his past, but I will say that he has matured since then.  You can tell that his focus is on his game now, and that is why he has finally blossomed into one of the best central defenders in the world.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 01:19:08 PM »
is amaze me how even if ah man stub he toe on that England team it does make the news in a big way

freddie ljungberg make captain of the Sweeden team yuh eh hear anything bout dat

all ah dat talk bout Terry and that team still eh beating nobody
right now them jes need to do things quiet and let people miss them for a while and then good things might start to happen

Més que un club.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 01:20:10 PM »
He has turned a page.  I'm aware of his past, but I will say that he has matured since then.  You can tell that his focus is on his game now, and that is why he has finally blossomed into one of the best central defenders in the world.

best central defenders in England not in the world
anytime he come up against some skillfull players he is made to look ordinary

Més que un club.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 01:29:44 PM »
Terry is an ass.

Filho yuh surprise meh there.

You is not the man who does be preaching that youths does make mistakes.

And trust me I am not a Terry fan (or Lampard or Rio or Dyer or the rest of them fellas with long histories of indiscretion). I surprise to hear you lashing the man so.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline jub02

• Hero Warrior
  • Mighty Arsenal & Newcastle .
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2006, 02:02:18 PM »
Terry is an ass.

in ur opinion.
i have heard many people call dwight yorke a thug ( which i do not agree with ).

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2006, 03:09:52 PM »

england have to be the most overrate team in the world. they eh winning nothing til at least 2066.

I damn well agree.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2006, 03:18:16 PM »
JT JT JT JT  :beermug: :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2006, 03:21:40 PM »
I doh give ah F**K about dem, ah dos just follow de leagues and check on we players, who making ah living over dey.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2006, 05:30:49 PM »
yeah right  ::)
ah glad yuh get ketch anyway  :rotfl:
Feliz

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2006, 05:40:36 PM »
anyway as ah was saying earlier ah woulda preferred Gerrard.
this woulda been the ideal situation for him to show England what he does do for Liverpool on a daily basis, which is the ability to drive his team forward.
he woulda become and even better player if he had the England armband too.
Terry woulda been commanding the back 4 in any case.
so in my mind England not gaining anything significant by doing that.
Feliz

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2006, 06:40:52 PM »
Terry is an ass.

in ur opinion.
i have heard many people call dwight yorke a thug ( which i do not agree with ).

so what? don't take it so personally. what people think about Dwight is their business. At the same time, Dwight Yorke hasn't been arrested multiple times for violent, disorderly and drunken conduct. Terry has. But FF, JDB and Tenorsaw are correct..that was in his youth and he no longer gets drunk and beats up on people in public. I believe that is true and I don't judge him on that at all. BUT I have little forgiveness in my heart for someone who could openly laugh at and taunt people on 9/11. People who were terrified for their loved ones and their country. If Terry was an Arab, I doubt too many people would have defended him. Is one thing to hate the American regime or what it symbolizes...but at the end of the day, every nation has good people and and bad people..and there are many good people in the US (Americans and Non Americans) who should not have died that day or lost loved ones. But he is rich, famous and English, so he get a bligh dey. JDB, you are correct...I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. That is my nature. Terry will make a great English captain, but I reserve the right to think he is an ass..at least for now

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2006, 08:12:56 PM »

nah andre not on dey centenary yuh mean :rotfl:  :rotfl:
all dat is necessary is necessary

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2006, 08:15:10 PM »
andre there wont be a world cup 2066  :'(.gues dats how bad enlgand chances are?

well dey might still have a chance to win de euro dah year

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2006, 08:21:28 PM »

so true who rememders how ronaldinho jes skip pass him as if he didn't even exist tuh score in  de champions league  :devil:

Offline jub02

• Hero Warrior
  • Mighty Arsenal & Newcastle .
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2006, 01:30:21 AM »
Terry is an ass.

in ur opinion.

so what? don't take it so personally. what people think about Dwight is their business. At the same time, Dwight Yorke hasn't been arrested multiple times for violent, disorderly and drunken conduct. Terry has. But FF, JDB and Tenorsaw are correct..that was in his youth and he no longer gets drunk and beats up on people in public. I believe that is true and I don't judge him on that at all. BUT I have little forgiveness in my heart for someone who could openly laugh at and taunt people on 9/11. People who were terrified for their loved ones and their country. If Terry was an Arab, I doubt too many people would have defended him. Is one thing to hate the American regime or what it symbolizes...but at the end of the day, every nation has good people and and bad people..and there are many good people in the US (Americans and Non Americans) who should not have died that day or lost loved ones. But he is rich, famous and English, so he get a bligh dey. JDB, you are correct...I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. That is my nature. Terry will make a great English captain, but I reserve the right to think he is an ass..at least for now

i don take it personally..i jus dont believe some of the stuff ppl say somtime..i mean if it anythin to do with england a whole load of post come up criticising them.
can u be sure he openly taunted people about 9/11. i remember reading something about him and lampard and they felt bad as they were in america after 9/11 and they didnt no much about it. Whatever happened he has turned his life around and i think he wil make a great captain.
I wondered about if terry was picked would people start picking faults in him " personal life " etc. But im sure if Steven gerrard was captain ..it would be the same old story but instead it would be that " he is too high profile " to be captain or something else.
I understand your opinion and im not critiscing what you say as you have a valid point. But i do believe terry is a real good defender, despite wot many ppl say i think he is one of de best in the world. He was voted in the " world xi " team  by fellow players. i doubt any world class defender gonna be able to stop ronaldinho for real. but u can always criticise him as that is what people do..they pick faults..

Offline Pompey

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2006, 07:42:47 AM »

so true who rememders how ronaldinho jes skip pass him as if he didn't even exist tuh score in  de champions league  :devil:

can you name a defender he would not have skipped past?

Terry is as good as there is and I think that McLaren has made a good choice. He had an easy decision though, because Gerrard would have been just as good.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2006, 07:54:14 AM »

Ah wudda give it to Rooney . De responsibility mighta mature him and he  stan ah chance of playing fuh de 2066 team.  ;D ;D
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2006, 07:58:27 AM »
An dis is ah bigger story.

Beckham left out of England squad 
Watch Steve McClaren's first England news conference live on this website - Friday 1500 BST

Beckham won his 94th cap in the World Cup defeat to Portugal
New England manager Steve McClaren has dropped former captain David Beckham.

Beckham's name was absent as McClaren unveiled his first squad - for the friendly against Greece at Old Trafford on 16 August.

The decision could bring the curtain down on 31-year-old Beckham's 10-year England career.

The Real Madrid midfielder, who has 94 caps, quit as captain after England's World Cup exit in July but insisted he wanted to continue playing.

McClaren, who has also omitted Sol Campbell and David James, will explain his decision in a news conference on Friday at 1500 BST.

Beckham limped out of July's quarter-final defeat to Portugal with an Achilles injury, from which he has only recently recovered.

However, he was expected to be fit to play for England after featuring for Real Madrid in a friendly on Thursday.

Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline doublet750

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2006, 02:55:41 PM »
anytime a coach can tell yuh dat he planin for teh future and ur not included it can spell one thing axe

1]; } ?>