April 18, 2024, 04:15:37 PM

Author Topic: Madrid striker has high hopes for new season  (Read 826 times)

Offline doublet750

• Hero Warrior
  • mi nuevo nombre es dinho mi vida es joga bonito
    • View Profile
Madrid striker has high hopes for new season
« on: August 12, 2006, 11:48:54 AM »
Capello will bring out the best in me, says Cassano

MADRID, Aug 12 (Reuters) - Italian striker Antonio Cassano believes the appointment of Fabio Capello as Real Madrid coach will give him the chance to show his true worth at the Primera Liga club.

"Capello knows me well and he knows what I'm capable of," Cassano told Spanish sports daily Marca on Saturday. "I'm certain that he will lead us to great achievements because he is the best.

"Capello is a coach that motivates the team a lot and the team is much more united than last season. We also have a more complete squad with (Fabio) Cannavaro, Emerson and (Ruud) van Nistelrooy."

Cassano joined Real midway through last season from AS Roma but arrived out of condition and was given few chances by then coach Juan Ramon Lopez Caro.

He was in the starting line-up for just three Primera Liga matches and scored one goal as he spent most of his first season at the club on the bench and missed out on selection for the Italian World Cup squad.

Cassano played under Capello at AS Roma between 2001 and 2004 and although the two clashed on several occasions, the Italian coach brought the best out of the young striker on the pitch.

"Yes, we've had our problems. It's a bit like a father and a son," said the 24-year-old, who has been Real's top scorer in their pre-season friendlies.

"He understands me. We fought but it was all sorted out in two minutes. He knows that I'm impetuous and if I'm not happy I tell people to their face.

Cassano said he wanted to help Real end their three-season trophy drought, but that his ultimate aim was to continue his playing career in Italy.

"I want to win trophies with Real Madrid and form part of the history of the most important club in the world. Then after two or three years I will go back to Italy."

Updated on Saturday, Aug 12, 2006 7:04 am EDT

Email to a Friend | View Popular
 http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=reu-cassano&prov=reuters&type=lgns

ah tell alyuh d man go get ah nice role with capello there

1]; } ?>