April 28, 2024, 08:49:09 AM

Author Topic: FC Barcelona 4, Red Bulls 1  (Read 4866 times)

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
FC Barcelona 4, Red Bulls 1
« on: August 12, 2006, 11:20:59 PM »
Licks delivered effectively and with haste.

FC Barcelona 4, Red Bulls 1

Yahoo Sports.

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- Brazilian superstar Ronaldinho scored two goals and Lionel Messi added a goal and two assists as FC Barcelona beat the New York Red Bulls 4-1 in an international exhibition match Saturday night at Giants Stadium.

Barcelona got its first goal in the 13th minute, when Red Bulls defender Marvell Wynne pulled down Samuel Etoo in the penalty area. Ronaldinho's penalty kick beat goalkeeper Tony Meola to his left.

A sellout crowd of 79,002 came out to see the third and final match in FC Barcelona's U.S. tour. The Spanish club is one of the world's most popular soccer teams with Ronadinho, FIFA's World Player of the Year for the second straight season, and Messi, Argentina's top player.

The tour started last weekend in Los Angeles, where Barcelona played Chivas De Guadalajara to a 1-1 tie. Barcelona also tied Club America of Mexico in Houston Wednesday, 4-4.

The Red Bulls tied Saturday's game in the 39th minute, when Ronaldinho gave the ball away to Dema Kovalenko in his own zone. Kovalenko then pushed the ball ahead to Edson Buddle, whose shot was deflected by Barcelona goalie Victor Valdes. But Youri Djorkaeff -- seeing his first action since leaving the Red Bulls for personal reasons nearly two months ago -- knocked in the rebound.

The score remained tied until early in the second half, when Messi made a brilliant crossing pass to Ronaldinho, who got behind two defenders and beat sprawling reserve Red Bulls goalie Jon Conway in the 51st minute.

"Ronaldinho is truly a special player," said Bruce Arena, the Red Bulls new head coach and sporting director and the former U.S. team coach. "We all knew that before this game. He brings such a great attitude to the field. He's one of the finest players in the world."

Eleven minutes later, Messi got his score by drawing Conway out of the goal, then shaking past for a 3-1 lead. Barcelona's final goal came in the 87th minute, when Javier Saviola went unabated to the goal after receiving a pass from Messi.

Although the match was an exhibition, FC Barcelona head coach Frank Rijkaard took it seriously.

"Every game is important to us because we always want to leave a good impression for the public," Rijkaard said. "I think the emotion was great and everyone enjoyed the game. I think the Red Bulls played a good game. They didn't come here just to defend us -- they came to participate and it turned out to be a good game for the spectators."

The Red Bulls struggled while playing for the first time under Arena. They did not manage a good scoring opportunity in the second half, and New York's bright spot was the play of Meola, who made five acrobatic stops in the first half on his way to six saves.

"This was a game that was a challenge for any team in the world. This is the best club team in the world last year, and they've gotten better," Arena said. "I was well aware that we were severely overmatched, but our players gained an invaluable experience playing against these top players and the overall speed of play."

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Re: FC Barcelona 4, Red Bulls 1
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 12:01:48 AM »
de south americans shine in north america.hhahhaha.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Arena After Barcelona game
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 08:23:01 AM »
Ronaldinho keys Barca's onslaught
BY JEFF GOLD
Newsday Staff Writer

August 13, 2006

A sellout crowd of 79,002 for a Red Bulls game at Giants Stadium? Something had to be up.

Soccer's popularity and support of the MLS might be growing in the United States, but make no mistake, the fans were there last to see the world's top club team and the sport's No. 1 attraction. FC Barcelona and Ronaldinho were in town.

Barcelona, the 2006 Champions League winner, completed its preseason North American tour with a 4-1 win in a friendly over the Red Bulls last night.

With his magical dribbling, stepovers and touch passes, Ronaldinho, the two-time reigning FIFA World Player of the Year, dazzled the crowd with ingenious skills that brought oohs and aahs and gave them pictures to frame.

"It's always the objective to give your best so that the team can win. It's good to give a show. In the end, you want to go home happy," said the Brazilian Ronaldinho.

With his trademark headband and pony tail, Ronaldinho gave Barcelona a 1-0 lead on a penalty kick in the 13th minute, rocketing a shot to the left of goalkeeper Tony Meola.

After the Red Bulls tied the score on a goal by Youri Djorkaeff in the 38th minute, Ronaldinho put Barcelona up 2-1 when he converted Lionel Messi's cross with a lunging left foot volley just in front of the goal.

Messi added a goal in the 61st minute, and Javier Saviola made it 4-1 in the 87th minute.

"It was a great experience to be able to come here and celebrate with everyone who came here to watch the game," said Ronaldinho, who was substituted in the 76th minute and waved to the crowd after it gave him a standing ovation.

The man who tried to devise a plan to contain Ronaldinho was familiar to all soccer fans. Former U.S. national coach Bruce Arena made his Red Bulls coaching debut last night.

Arena was given extensive credit for leading the USA to its shocking quarterfinal appearance in the 2002 World Cup. But after the USA went 0-2-1 and failed to make it to the knockout stage in Germany this year, he faced criticism that he was too defensive-minded and that he didn't utilize talent to the fullest that was considered to be the best in American history. Arena wasn't offered a new contract by the U.S. Soccer Federation.

"I think we did a very good job in the World Cup, and I don't think people understand that," Arena said. "We didn't go backwards in this World Cup. We just weren't as successful as we were in 2002. When you look at a game like tonight, and you see what kind of players there are around the world, and the kind of players we have in America, anyone who thinks that we are a country that should be one of the top countries in the World Cup doesn't know what he's looking at."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/soccer/ny-spredbulls134850458aug13,0,4330099.story?coll=ny-soccer-headlines

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 09:02:16 AM by ttcom »
Stupidity is an elemental force for which no earthquake is a match."
-Karl Kraus

Offline doublet750

• Hero Warrior
  • mi nuevo nombre es dinho mi vida es joga bonito
    • View Profile
Ronaldinho ah trini????
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 09:37:57 AM »
look at how half of allyuh looking for some long article that show the man have a blood lione to we   :devil:

Na but myself madness ttcom bigdawg(sorry we eh pik up wit yuh but we had to advantage some people for a space on the port authority bus line to get home or else we woulda still be there) we all saw the game live from the meadowlands.

First off the atmosphere was amazing 80,000 fans and they all scream like when stern scored teh last goal against mexico at the stadium (nothing beats a LIVE game in a stadium)

then the chance to see the players play.....Ronaldinho is AH BOSSSSSSSS......yuh watch he every movement and that alone does make your feel like steping up your game ...

The barcelona players showed why they are some of th best in the world.....their movement off the ball made the red bulls players look lost...On tv u always notice the "Great ball" being played into space on the other side ...live  from high up behin dth egoal you could see the players making the runs......what also amazed me was the SPEED the barcelona players had ..for a team on pre season they runing like ato at a track meet.

Yuh coulda tell ah set of argentine ssuporters was in d place cuz seond half all they chanting was MESSI MESSI

Thuram PELT BLADE LIKE HE SHARPEN HE CUTLASS....D MAN EVEN ELBOW MAN OFF D BALL WHO TRY 2 SHAKE HIM  :rotfl:....

Giuly has excellent control and is extremely fast

eto'o has a brain that makes you wonder...instinctive and attacking ...his lsight movements made it ever clear to teh fans and his teamates he was about to run but the redbull coached bruce arena could not comprehend...

Gudjohnson was procalimed ( I EH SAYING BY WHO BERRIS GO KILL D MAN IF HE FIND OUT) as a EUROPEAN ALBINO STERN JOHN....the man either throw away or decide not to give the ball the proper touch or TOUCH at all for that matter in front of goal.....but he does score one out of the 10 chances he might get just not today

Now why i say ronaldinho is ah trini.....only trini does want to beat and pull off as much style in ah game like this man.....D MAN DO SOME SPANNER THAT I SURE MORVANTMAN TEACH HIM .....spaner a man in midfield at full speed run with the ball and buss ah square pass to his left with his head squarely to his right ..all the while drawing in the defender hwo marked the otuside man he pased too.........THEN meh boy ROLLIE POLIE a man in d goal and buss ah shot d keeper jus luky tht he ain move.....las act meh boy wait for eh defender to come on him outside the top left hand corner of the box and flik it up wit his left and went for teh CAP with the right foot but jus couldnt get it over the tal balk defender

after watching this and examining many games of small goal and big goal football in Sweet sweet TnT im sure he must have learned alot from us   :angel: :beermug:

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
Re: Ronaldinho ah trini????
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 09:42:50 AM »
dais y he play one pack ah shit in de wc :devil: :devil: :devil:
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 12:11:35 PM »
Went to the Game..... you really can't pass up seeing Barcelona FC playing in  New York.. Anytime Ronaldinho touch the ball the crowd went wild...

tried to link up with some of the Fellas from the WN...but with almost 80,000 people that was kinda difficult...

All in all the game was a nice experience...Did'nt understand how Messi got "Man of the Match".. but it was an exibition game so its all good...

Luv up the Culture.

Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
Re: Arena After Barcelona game
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 12:18:10 PM »
BY JEFF GOLD
Newsday Staff Writer

"I think we did a very good job in the World Cup, and I don't think people understand that," Arena said. "We didn't go backwards in this World Cup. We just weren't as successful as we were in 2002. When you look at a game like tonight, and you see what kind of players there are around the world, and the kind of players we have in America, anyone who thinks that we are a country that should be one of the top countries in the World Cup doesn't know what he's looking at."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/soccer/ny-spredbulls134850458aug13,0,4330099.story?coll=ny-soccer-headlines

the only problem I have with this is that he never used to make them kinda statements when he was the coach.  He had my respect save that.

Offline doublet750

• Hero Warrior
  • mi nuevo nombre es dinho mi vida es joga bonito
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 12:30:52 PM »
a good coach will answer all answers but the inevtiable if it means losing lol...maybe that was his slogan....

and then i hear ETHAN ZAN (bullah lookin man on FC FOX) answer a email and sya the reason we auint makie it too far in teh WC cuz we were in teh toughest group......SO WHO DID THE IVORY COAST HAVE TO PLAY IN THEIR FIRST WORLD CUP....and they gave a beter fight....ARGENTINA... IVORY COAST... HOLLAND ...SERBIA n MONTENEGRO..teams that would easily whip usa ass n ot be so kind like the italians did with tht mickey mouse performance.

and lastly.....THE ONLY MAN I HEAR TO SHUT UP ALEXI LALAS SO FAR.....GIORGIO CHANIGLIA ...right before going off the air after USA lost 3-0 to the CZHECHS......he said can i ask you a question...."DID YOU REALLY EXPECT TO GET OUT THIS GROUP???"......you would have swear he was communist the way they cut to comercial so fast

but big dawg we hadda talk man we have real plans lined up

Offline deltatau14

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 03:07:21 PM »
Yeah after that game, its kinda hard to think that any club going to beat barca, i dont know if the opposition had anything to do with how fluent barca looked but they just played incredible ball, overlapping runs, moving off the ball, surgical passing (short & long) and their communication was impecable much unlike real madrid who looked less meshed

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2006, 04:20:47 PM »
BY JEFF GOLD
Newsday Staff Writer

the only problem I have with this is that he never used to make them kinda statements when he was the coach.  He had my respect save that.

While I agree with you and I think its another demonstration of American arrogance to adopt such a view, I can understand why Arena would play the devil's advocate for so long. The fact is Americans like to win and they believe that what ever they do they should be the best at it and isn't neccessarily a bad thing. The problem isin terms of their football they have artificially inflated egos. I listen to MLS  commentators big up Donavon and Eddie Johnson and host of other by international standards, mediocre players and wonder if they are seeing something I don't see. Johnson in particular looks to be all hype.

They've been getting positive results since after the 98 World Cup but they have always been about grit, determination and smash and grab football. It also helps to play many more games than most countries in the world. It has not been because of a growth in ability or talent. Arena and all of the people involved in football in America are trying to sell the idea that they can be and are in fact World beaters. We on this board an every other dedicated fan of the beautiful game know that's not true. They are a team that will have to battle everytime to get out of their group. The same cannot be said of teams like Argentina,Brazil,England, Germany, Italy, Spain, and a few others. If Arena went into games against teams like that and did not speak with the brave arrogance that we've come to associate with American Sport he'd be accused of being too soft.

But I'm glad that he said it and not us. America ike the overwhelming majority countries at the world trying ah ting in football. In terms talent alone Mexico or an African team is likely to join that elite group before them.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2006, 05:44:10 PM »
BY JEFF GOLD
Newsday Staff Writer

While I agree with you and I think its another demonstration of American arrogance to adopt such a view, I can understand why Arena would play the devil's advocate for so long. The fact is Americans like to win and they believe that what ever they do they should be the best at it and isn't neccessarily a bad thing. The problem isin terms of their football they have artificially inflated egos. I listen to MLS  commentators big up Donavon and Eddie Johnson and host of other by international standards, mediocre players and wonder if they are seeing something I don't see. Johnson in particular looks to be all hype.

They've been getting positive results since after the 98 World Cup but they have always been about grit, determination and smash and grab football. It also helps to play many more games than most countries in the world. It has not been because of a growth in ability or talent. Arena and all of the people involved in football in America are trying to sell the idea that they can be and are in fact World beaters. We on this board an every other dedicated fan of the beautiful game know that's not true. They are a team that will have to battle everytime to get out of their group. The same cannot be said of teams like Argentina,Brazil,England, Germany, Italy, Spain, and a few others. If Arena went into games against teams like that and did not speak with the brave arrogance that we've come to associate with American Sport he'd be accused of being too soft.

But I'm glad that he said it and not us. America ike the overwhelming majority countries at the world trying ah ting in football. In terms talent alone Mexico or an African team is likely to join that elite group before them.

I understand the points you are trying to make..but like most others, you underestimate the talent that US players possess. Even if they are not in the elite group, they have every right to think they can be world beaters. They are definitely improving and they are just being bullish on their future...why bother playing the game if you do not push for the highest level...especially a country that size. Compare the US team that beat the Strike Squad in 1989 and the US Team now...they simply have superior players now. The top countries in the world take them more seriously. They are improving and its not just down to grit and grinding out results....And every nation overhypes their players. We overhype some of our own players who can barely trap a ball.

As for your teams that don't have to fight to get out of their group...If we look at the 'new' WC results...Results since Brazil won their 3rd WC in 1970 and got to keep the Jules Rimet trophy: Brazil didn't get past the first round in 1974, Argentina didn't in 2002 and only got out of their group in 1990 as a best 3rd place team...got out of their WC 1974 group on goal difference. Spain didn't get out of their group in 1978 and 1998 and didn't qualify for WC 1974. Italy is reknowned for struggling in the group phase...most recently in 1982, 1986, 1994 and 2002. England started poorly in 1986, didn't even qualify for WC 1974, 1978 or WC 1994. Sure, these teams are better than the US and can call themselves 'world powers' in football...but just as you criticize the US for over-valuing their football...I think you overvaluing some teams yourself
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 07:03:45 PM by Filho »

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2006, 06:50:48 PM »

I understand the points you are trying to make..but like most others, you underestimate the talent that US players possess. Even if they are not in the elite group, they have every right to think they can be world beaters. They are definitely improving and they are just being bullish on their future...why bother playing the game if you do not push for the highest level...especially a country that size. Compare the US team that beat the Strike Squad in 1989 and the US Team now...they simply have superior players now. The top countries in the world take them more seriously. They are improving and its not just down to grit and grinding out results....And every nation overhypes their players. We overhype some of our own players who can barely trap a ball.

As for your teams that don't have to fight to get out of their group...If we look at the 'new' WC results...Results since Brazil won their 3rd WC in 1970 and got to keep the Jules Rimet trophy: Brazil didn't get past the first round in 1974, Argentina didn't in 2002 and only got out of their group in 1990 as a best 3rd place team...got out of their WC 1974 group on goal difference. Spain didn't get out of their group in 1978 and 1998 and didn't qualify for WC 1974. Italy is reknowned for struggling in the group phase...most recently in 1982, 1986, 1994 and 2002. England started poorly in 1986, didn't even qualify for WC 1974, 1978 or WC 1994. Sure, these teams are better than the US and can call themselves 'world powers' in football...but just as you criticize the US for over-valuing their football...I think you overvaluing some teams yourself

I invite you to name a few countries other than maybe Sweden that have consistently done better than the teams I named.

I pointed specifically to the upturn in performances since the 1998 world cup and I expressed the view that this was due to the Americans being better prepared(playing many matches) and working hard to grind out results results. As I said in my post earlier I'm glad it was Arena who said it and not us. American players and teams simply do no match up technically and tactically with the best in the world. This was the same in 1998.

I heard the englishman on GOL TV say something very important. He said that American soccer shouldn't feel deflated in that they shouldn't see it as a fall after scaling the heights of 2002. He said that in his judgement the American overachieved in that tournament and gave them a false sense of security. I can't remember which Goal Cup it was but I remember seeing a provisional Brazil team that consisted of U20 and U23 players teenage Robinho and Diego starred)  run rings around a full strength American team in the home of the brave. Were it not for for Keller they would have easily conceeded 7 (I'm not exaggerating). There was a clear difference in ability between the Brazillians and Americans. Wasn't it only this year that an American B team drew 1-1 with a hastily assembled Jamaican team? Didn't Morroco beat them this year? Wasn't it this year that the Americans lost 4-1 to Germany, or how far back was it that an English 2nd 11 team beat them?

In the 06 post mortem I heard talk about the MLS men not stepping up when the record shows more European based players played than MLS players. Steups

Arite I'm not being fair. American youth teams have consistently qualified for youth world cups and recently they have begun to perform well at that level. But the transition between youth football into the professional ranks is still no where near what obtains in world powers of football. An NCAA coach turned administrator said so (I can't remember his name)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2006, 07:19:01 PM »

I invite you to name a few countries other than maybe Sweden that have consistently done better than the teams I named.

I pointed specifically to the upturn in performances since the 1998 world cup and I expressed the view that this was due to the Americans being better prepared(playing many matches) and working hard to grind out results results. As I said in my post earlier I'm glad it was Arena who said it and not us. American players and teams simply do no match up technically and tactically with the best in the world. This was the same in 1998.

I heard the englishman on GOL TV say something very important. He said that American soccer shouldn't feel deflated in that they shouldn't see it as a fall after scaling the heights of 2002. He said that in his judgement the American overachieved in that tournament and gave them a false sense of security. I can't remember which Goal Cup it was but I remember seeing a provisional Brazil team that consisted of U20 and U23 players teenage Robinho and Diego starred)  run rings around a full strength American team in the home of the brave. Were it not for for Keller they would have easily conceeded 7 (I'm not exaggerating). There was a clear difference in ability between the Brazillians and Americans. Wasn't it only this year that an American B team drew 1-1 with a hastily assembled Jamaican team? Didn't Morroco beat them this year? Wasn't it this year that the Americans lost 4-1 to Germany, or how far back was it that an English 2nd 11 team beat them?

In the 06 post mortem I heard talk about the MLS men not stepping up when the record shows more European based players played than MLS players. Steups

Arite I'm not being fair. American youth teams have consistently qualified for youth world cups and recently they have begun to perform well at that level. But the transition between youth football into the professional ranks is still no where near what obtains in world powers of football. An NCAA coach turned administrator said so (I can't remember his name)

Jah....I am not disagreeing that these teams are not some of the best in the world. I interpreted what you were saying as these elite teams never had to struggle to get out of the first round while the US will always have to. After rereading it I assume now you mean that they do not always have to struggle, while the US will always struggle. Is that what you meant? I also missed your point about starting from 1998 with the US results. My bad.

Anyway, I really was not disagreeing with you other than
1) I think the Americans are producing more talented and technically gifted players. Even since 1998. I think the increasing exodus of Americans to Europe is partly due to that.
2) I think they have every right to think they can be world beaters. But I always thought they were speaking about their potential in the near future. I am not saying that they are world beaters...but one day they sure will be, I think.
3) Americans don't hype their players more than anyone else....and I don't just mean the teams that have top players. Mediocre and shite teams all seem to think they have world class players

By the way, I doh think Sweden really up there with the teams you mentioned  ;) :beermug: :beermug:
I agree with you for the most part. You doh have to explain to me what level US national ball is really at. And I saw that Gold Cup when Brazil sent a boss Under 23 teams with some under 20 players..Kaka, Diego, Robinho, Motta, Baptista, Ewerthon were all there..they even had Nilmar striking up top and he was still 18. Scoreline was close but Brazil dominated..it was sweet. Real shame that same Under 23 team failed to qualify for the Olympics because they thought they were good enough that they didn't need Kaka and Baptista and didn't bring them back from Europe (Ricardo Gomes, the coach, said he didn't want to casue a club v country conflict with Milan and Sevilla...steups)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 07:27:54 PM by Filho »

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2006, 07:24:41 PM »
Scene.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2006, 07:30:06 PM »
Scene.

Scene...by the way..I modified my answer at the same time you were replying, I guess. Didn't change the gist...just remenisced about that Brazil Gold Cup game...sweet come from behind win..even though Brazil dominated from start to finish

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2006, 10:13:26 PM »
Scene.

Scene...by the way..I modified my answer at the same time you were replying, I guess. Didn't change the gist...just remenisced about that Brazil Gold Cup game...sweet come from behind win..even though Brazil dominated from start to finish
It was an absolutely brilliant game. I didn't want it to end.

Offline doh_stick

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2006, 08:55:54 AM »
Scene.

Agreed -Game had characteristics of a true high quality exhibition game.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 10:06:42 AM »
Scene.

Agreed -Game had characteristics of a true high quality exhibition game.
Except that it was the semi final of the Gold Cup.

Offline trinfax

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 10:16:43 AM »
As for your teams that don't have to fight to get out of their group...If we look at the 'new' WC results...Results since Brazil won their 3rd WC in 1970 and got to keep the Jules Rimet trophy: Brazil didn't get past the first round in 1974

Just to correct you... the only time Brazil didnt make it out of the first round in recent times was in 1966 in England. They made the semis in '74.. i aint messin with ya point.. just making a lil correcting for ya :-)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2006, 12:19:56 PM »
As for your teams that don't have to fight to get out of their group...If we look at the 'new' WC results...Results since Brazil won their 3rd WC in 1970 and got to keep the Jules Rimet trophy: Brazil didn't get past the first round in 1974

Just to correct you... the only time Brazil didnt make it out of the first round in recent times was in 1966 in England. They made the semis in '74.. i aint messin with ya point.. just making a lil correcting for ya :-)

Yes dread.....that is a kinda embarrassing mistake. Especially since I am a big big Brazil fan. In putting down dem stats I get tie up. yeah..in '74 the lost 0-2 to Holland in the semis  :-\ gaarhhh

Thanks for the correction. respek
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 12:21:39 PM by Filho »

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2006, 08:29:44 PM »
"THEN meh boy ROLLIE POLIE a man in d goal and buss ah shot d keeper jus luky tht he ain move"
It wasn't a rollie pollie but a turn

The crowd was chantin for Messi from since the first half, and rightfully so.
Messi is ridiculous. You could see how much Ronaldinho respects him on the field.
I didn't realize how much chemistry this team really has nah
You have to see it to believe it.
After the game I went home and watched the Real game...absolutely no comparison.
Real looking like an Italian team, playing ugly, ugly football for 89 mins then puttin together one nice play to score.
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2006, 08:38:08 PM »
"THEN meh boy ROLLIE POLIE a man in d goal and buss ah shot d keeper jus luky tht he ain move"

Messi is ridiculous. You could see how much Ronaldinho respects him on the field.

After the game I went home and watched the Real game...absolutely no comparison.
Real looking like an Italian team, playing ugly, ugly football for 89 mins then puttin together one nice play to score.

Yeah for real. Messi look like a boss mi youte. Every touch had purpose and the man could not only suddenly turn on the speed and blow past a defender but he also look very adept at making cuts and timing his runs -- the man was zig-zagging in and out. Have no doubt --the man is a star.
This Barca team lookin real good mi youte. And they have a stronger defence now with puyol, marquez, zambrotta and thuram.
Big props to Eto and Giuly who played really well also

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2006, 07:50:21 AM »

Barca is meh team. But I find real madrid look good too. Especially in the attacking third..Robinho and Julio Baptista had some nice one touch and dummies. Robinho and Cassano look hungry. But you right..especially with emerson in the middle, they playing like Juve. Slow, methodical, precise...not always pretty, but it is effective and clinical

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2006, 07:57:43 AM »

Can't agree with you there. You letting the fact that you know Capello is the coach taint your impression of how they looked. Madrid had some nice flowing moves going forwards...lotsa dummies & flicks.....They not as deep as Barca, and I would admit Barca has more flair in general all around the field......but ugly ugly football ? Created one nice play ? If it weren't for a spectacular day by the RSL keeper, that score coulda been embarrassing....... yuh talkin' mess there. No way Robinho & co. looked like an "Italian" team.......

The biggest difference between the Real game & the Barca game was the atmosphere. Barcelona game had alot more atmosphere.....plus you watched one game live & the other on TV......go figure...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 08:01:33 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2006, 09:34:21 AM »

Can't agree with you there. You letting the fact that you know Capello is the coach taint your impression of how they looked. Madrid had some nice flowing moves going forwards...lotsa dummies & flicks.....They not as deep as Barca, and I would admit Barca has more flair in general all around the field......but ugly ugly football ? Created one nice play ? If it weren't for a spectacular day by the RSL keeper, that score coulda been embarrassing....... yuh talkin' mess there. No way Robinho & co. looked like an "Italian" team.......

The biggest difference between the Real game & the Barca game was the atmosphere. Barcelona game had alot more atmosphere.....plus you watched one game live & the other on TV......go figure...

Cassano, Robinho and Van Nistelrooy play some real ball....you see that flick on from Van Nistelrooy for Robinho's goal....real nice

While they want to prove themselves to their coach, the other question that have ppl thinking about is: Who will be partnering Ronaldo? Or more so...who will be putting him  on de bench?

Done know Lippi like Cassano already
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 10:47:24 AM by Grande man »

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2006, 10:42:58 AM »

dat red bulls team cah beat the barca team..

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2006, 07:01:11 PM »

Cassano, Robinho and Van Nistelrooy play some real ball....you see that flick on from Van Nistelrooy for Robinho's goal....real nice

While they want to prove themselves to their coach, the other question that have ppl thinking about is: Who will be partnering Ronaldo? Or more so...who will be putting him  on de bench?

Real is mess
Face d facts
Yuh know u watch barca in your quiet moments and love dem then go and cry after watchin Real.
I think that real has no flow to their game right now
Barca has a rhythm where you can actually see the team maintain possession and try to create openings
Real just look like they don't know where or what to do with the ball at their feet. Kinda like chelsea.
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2006, 07:23:45 PM »

Real is mess
Face d facts
Yuh know u watch barca in your quiet moments and love dem then go and cry after watchin Real.
Barca has a rhythm where you can actually see the team maintain possession and try to create openings
Real just look like they don't know where or what to do with the ball at their feet. Kinda like chelsea.

both real madrid and barca have very good teams no doubt but theres only one thing barca has that real madrid doesnt. TEAM CHEMISTRY. see now on barca everybody does have fun,  everybody on de team does get along with their teammates. real madrid......theres one spotlight and everyone wants to be in that spotlight.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2006, 10:35:18 PM »

Real is mess
Face d facts

Remember in their last showdown 10-man Real tied Barca 1-1 courtesy of a sublime chip from Ronaldo.

Real have their moments. Remember with all their commess last season they still finish 2nd in de league behind Barca. Barca was just too good - the team is actually almost perfect and in my opinion the best in the world. But we will see if Lippi could get Real close to that and bring back de champange football days.

1]; } ?>