April 25, 2024, 03:59:43 PM

Author Topic: Rijsbergen impressed -‘I think I’ve seen some nice football  (Read 7038 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Rijsbergen views U16s.... likes the look.
By: Shaun Fuentes.
[/size]

As they prepare to go into action in their second match of the Caribbean Football Union Under 16 Youth Cup against Grenada, this country’s Under 16 footballers got some good supporting words from senior team head coach Wim Rijsbergen following their convincing 8-1 win over Aruba on Monday.
“We’ve seen some talented players and hopefully they can improve, because there will be better opponents. But it was a good start,” Rijsbergen said.
“I think I’ve seen some nice football,”
“After the first goal, they showed that they are able to learn from their mistakes.
“They got their act together and played really well,” Rijsbergen said.
“There were some nice plays, nice goals and good crosses. They kept pace high and the result was very good.”
Asked about the team’s deficiencies, he replied : “The first goal showed that definitely that should not happen defensively.
“But things like these happen, even at the World Cup. These boys are young and they can improve.
“The coaching staff has worked well and they are improving. A lot of credit must go to the staff.
“Of course, we should be getting these guys ready for World Cup 2010 in a couple of years. If we’re lucky, some of these young guys could be part of the 2010 squad should we qualify.
“That’s why we set out to work with the youth because this is going to be the future.
“Hopefully, tomorrow (today) we can see some more beautiful football,” he ended, referring to T&T’s match against Grenada at the Manny Ramjohn Stadium, Marabella today at 5pm.
Rijsbergen will select his senior team squad for the September 2 friendly international against Mexico and a possible second one on September 6 against a team to be confirmed. There have been attempts at two South American nations after Jamaica are now scheduled to play Canada. The match versus Ghana remains a  possibility but at some time in the future. There is also no truth to reports about a game involving the official Soca Warriors outfit and Jamaica in Canada later this month.

National coach Wim Rijsbergen has Under-16 coach Anton Corneal for company at the T&T vs Aruba match on Monday. Photo Anthony Harris.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 04:59:50 AM by Flex »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
Re: Rijsbergen impressed -‘I think I’ve seen some nice football
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 09:58:15 PM »
good... some of those players around the time of the next world cup will be in their last few teenage years and probably freshly blooming into national players...

llookin good.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 06:16:42 AM »
So it confirmed that we not playing Jamaica. Ok.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 06:31:19 AM »
See that match in Canada is an invitational ... it even say it on the flyer
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 06:33:00 AM »
By 2010 some of these guys should be 18, 19 years old. Most teams usually have one maybe two talented teenagers that break into the senior squad. Did anyone who saw the game think any of these guys have that potential. Any 'Dwight Yorkes present'? I love Wim's comments...it makes me real enthusiastic about the future..

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 06:45:22 AM »
By 2010 some of these guys should be 18, 19 years old. Most teams usually have one maybe two talented teenagers that break into the senior squad. Did anyone who saw the game think any of these guys have that potential. Any 'Dwight Yorkes present'? I love Wim's comments...it makes me real enthusiastic about the future..

they were very impressive but i wouldnt say any Dwights... not becuase i dont think some of them arnt talented enough but more so the fact of who we were playing against sorta beckons me to think of not getting ahead of myself...
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 06:51:30 AM »

they were very impressive but i wouldnt say any Dwights... not becuase i dont think some of them arnt talented enough but more so the fact of who we were playing against sorta beckons me to think of not getting ahead of myself...

thanks. good point

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 07:55:45 AM »
Glad to see Wim there, thats a good sign...
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 08:16:00 AM »
f**k MAN!.... i rell wanted to play JA.....   i guess andre was correct about playing either ecuador or colombia

hope its ecuador

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 08:21:16 AM »
f**k MAN!.... i rell wanted to play JA.....   i guess andre was correct about playing either ecuador or colombia

hope its ecuador

Next ting is Grenada....  :-\ and me ent joking!!
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 08:23:04 AM »
fuh real dred    we better get one of dem south ameriocan teams

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 08:41:03 AM »
Honduras would be good also

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 10:52:16 AM »
Whim taking a very active role in the other teams, which is good to see. Ah like the fact that he keeps evaluating the coaching staff.  That is as important as player development. 

Offline ndookie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 11:06:40 AM »
Indeed,

It is very nice to see that he is paying attention to the youth teams and speaking on there development and I remember just recenty (pre-beenie man) that the coach (at that time st.clair) wasn't paying any attention to the youth teams and thats why were were playing ta ta..

This is good news , shows that we are on the road to developing an even better team.
Glory Glory Man Utd !

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 02:09:47 PM »
"There is also no truth to reports about a game involving the official Soca Warriors outfit and Jamaica in Canada later this month."

wheyyyy so far allyuh small talk  reach dred   :rotfl:  :rotfl:
all dat is necessary is necessary

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2006, 06:37:20 PM »
So it confirmed that we not playing Jamaica. Ok.

So basically we get blank by Jamaica  !!
Warrior For Life !!

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2006, 07:33:59 PM »
Now do I  chalk up  the description of our play (NICE) by our senior coach as :

1. Him being polite

2. his limited English

3. overuse of  a word as he cyar really say or define how we playing the game?

Ah mean what does NICE play convey?

The Oxford English Dictionary gives the original meaning of the word, defining ‘nice’ as small and precise. So we can correctly speak of a ‘nice difference’ a ‘nice problem’ ‘a nice distinction’ or even a ‘nice fit’. We can also say, "They were not too nice about their methods." Or, "It is a nice fit."

Webster concentrates on the modern usage of the word and defines it as agreeable, pleasant, attractive, pretty, kind, considerate, respectable, good, excellent. The over-used word is pushed into service to describe a movie, a greeting card, a person, a chair, a bed, a place, the weather and almost anything under the sun. It’s a commonplace word, so frequently used that it could be said that it has become a ‘generic’ adjective. We hear people talk about ‘a nice outfit’ or ‘a nice kitchen.’ When describing a person we have just met, we thoughtlessly utter, "She’s nice." When someone does a good deed, people tend to remark, "That was very nice of you."

What exactly do they mean? Not that I don’t use the word myself. I do. Too often in fact! And I can’t help but pause and wonder what we really mean when we use the word ‘nice’. When we speak of a ‘nice pair of shoes’ do we mean ‘comfortable pair of shoes,’ or ‘expensive-looking pair of shoes’? The word is ambiguous. What’s the difference between a ‘nice place’ and a ‘nice person’? When we say ‘nice person,’ do we mean friendly, warm, approachable, courteous, or simply ... ‘nice’? There it goes again!

‘Nice’ is often the first word that comes to mind when we have to comment about something. Sometimes it seems that people use it just to have something to say about a thing, a place, or a person. It can sound so patronizing. And because it is so overused, it loses its meaning, like a currency that has depreciated in value because there’s too much of it in circulation. And ‘nice’ becomes a sad little empty word.

Now you might argue that the word is understandable in its contextual use. That’s true. But think of how much more precise our observations would be if we replace ‘nice’ with, for instance, ‘beautiful house’ or ‘comfortable bed’ or ‘luxurious kitchen’ or ‘attractive dress’. How much more meaningful our exchanges would be if we say, "You’re so thoughtful," or "That was kind of you," or "You’re so easy to talk to," instead of simply saying, "You’re so nice."

Then let’s put more meaning and value into our verbal expressions. Let’s be generous with adjectives and use words that really convey what we mean and how we feel. If we do, then we will communicate honestly and will understand each other so much better.

Do you think this is a ‘nice’ article? Try another word, please!

- Lani Estepa   
San Juan, Ilocos Sur, Philipppines

1]; } ?>