April 18, 2024, 08:58:46 PM

Author Topic: England too cocky  (Read 7042 times)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
England too cocky
« on: August 13, 2006, 06:57:00 AM »
Gerrard says some things about Wayne Rooney's sending off here that I disagree with (but we've beaten that to death already)....but in the end he said something that I giuve him some serious respect for...admitting that England were just never good enough to win the WC and they were too overconfident. It is irrelevant whether we agree or disagree with that. Just refreshing to hear a mulitmillionaire footballer be humble and not look for excuses.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=375787&cc=5901

Offline thane

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: England too cocky
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 07:31:28 AM »
stevie g is one of the very very very very very few english players i respect...he keeps it real...and he cud actually play too... 8)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 08:16:28 AM »
Talk about delusional.  A man get stamp in he balls and he is the problem with football.  Who want to go ahead and be fooled, go right along.  Gerard and dem so eh ketchin me wit dat shit.

Me eh give a shit bout Gerard subsequent statement bout how dem was overrated and not good enough.  Man want to give he props fuh bein honest but dat come like yuh want to give a man props fuh sayin rain wet. 

STEUPES.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 08:17:36 AM »
stevie g is one of the very very very very very few english players i respect...he keeps it real...and he cud actually play too... 8)

I disagree.

Steven Gerrard is England's best midfielder but he is one of the players who believes his press more than any other.

He is the biggest chest thumper, name-on-back-pointer and celebrates goals by screaming "I'm the man" repeatedly.

It doesn't surprise me that he absolves Rooney of responsibility and he was just as delusional  as the other England players before the Portugal game.

Edited to Aadd: I can't believe I make a post in agreement with Palos. I think I'll go lie down now.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 08:19:24 AM by JDB »
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 08:22:24 AM »
Edited to Aadd: I can't believe I make a post in agreement with Palos. I think I'll go lie down now.

Even tho u went CIC and support Man Boo (I beginnin to think the 2 are mutually exclusive), there's hope for u yet.   You could be one of the saved.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 08:24:05 AM by palos »

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 11:21:13 AM »
Talk about delusional.  A man get stamp in he balls and he is the problem with football.  Who want to go ahead and be fooled, go right along.  Gerard and dem so eh ketchin me wit dat shit.

Me eh give a shit bout Gerard subsequent statement bout how dem was overrated and not good enough.  Man want to give he props fuh bein honest but dat come like yuh want to give a man props fuh sayin rain wet. 

STEUPES.

Oh gorm..you hadd be so cynical palos  ;D I hadda give the man some props cuz dese professional footballers could act real delusional sometimes. Even after the tata they play this WC, I bet yuh 99% of England squad feel they shoulda still win the WC. Dat as meh only point. These 'big well-paid stars' often seem to have an ego over the moon and cannot see the light about their shortcomings even when it slaps them in the face....and he started off just so with his assanine comments about Rooney's sending off...I ws just pleasantly suprised to see the fella humble himself and his teammates for once

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 11:31:03 AM »

I disagree.

Steven Gerrard is England's best midfielder but he is one of the players who believes his press more than any other.

He is the biggest chest thumper, name-on-back-pointer and celebrates goals by screaming "I'm the man" repeatedly.

It doesn't surprise me that he absolves Rooney of responsibility and he was just as delusional  as the other England players before the Portugal game.

i second this...

gerrard kinda two face in my book.. he is de same man does come out and bawl oh how diving is a cancer of de game and he doh encourage dat and if was one of his teammates he would pull his socks up, but then he himself does dive when he ready.. like for de penalty against hungary and even in de champions league final..

he could play and he is a good leader on de pitch but he does talk up in he a** when he ready..

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 11:39:18 AM »
and furthermore i now read de article..

how he go blame carvalho after de man get stamp in he stones??? same 2 face ting again.. if was terry get stamp in he stones and de tables turn, all de english players woulda been arguing with the referee about it.. what is he talking about 5 or 6 portuguese players running up, what do you do when your teammate is assaulted???

gerrard and england need to get real.. they thought their side was 10 times better than they really were but the facts were...

- they had no playmaker in their team..
- no creativity
- their coach was a weakling who was incapable of making decisions and inspiring the team
- 2 of their forwards including their best player went to the tournament injured
- their next starting forward crouch would not start in at least 26 of the other world cup teams
- their 4th forward walcott has never seen true competitive football and was a non-entity in that team.

Offline legal alien

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 11:47:51 AM »

yeah, who more super confident than stevie g?

yet i let it slide because i know he's the perfect midfielder that i would wish to be if i played that position.

but honestly, he's the last man i expect to talk about english over- confidence.remember his pre world cup declarations?

then again,maybe that missed penalty is what humbled him...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 11:50:28 AM by legal alien »

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 12:00:14 PM »

I disagree.

i second this...

gerrard kinda two face in my book.. he is de same man does come out and bawl oh how diving is a cancer of de game and he doh encourage dat and if was one of his teammates he would pull his socks up, but then he himself does dive when he ready.. like for de penalty against hungary and even in de champions league final..

he could play and he is a good leader on de pitch but he does talk up in he a** when he ready..

I second dat, too.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline doublet750

• Hero Warrior
  • mi nuevo nombre es dinho mi vida es joga bonito
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2006, 12:22:36 PM »

how he go blame carvalho after de man get stamp in he stones??? same 2 face ting again.. if was terry get stamp in he stones and de tables turn, all de english players woulda been arguing with the referee about it.. what is he talking about 5 or 6 portuguese players running up, what do you do when your teammate is assaulted???

gerrard and england need to get real.. they thought their side was 10 times better than they really were but the facts were...

- no creativity
- their coach was a weakling who was incapable of making decisions and inspiring the team
- 2 of their forwards including their best player went to the tournament injured
- their next starting forward crouch would not start in at least 26 of the other world cup teams
- their 4th forward walcott has never seen true competitive football and was a non-entity in that team.

Omarldinho yuh dont even have to explain..look at what gerrard did to shearer when lee bowyer fouled a liverpool player....the so called english scoring hero pushed around like a arab on a plane

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2006, 12:31:20 PM »
He was the first one to wince and lose composure when Lampard miss he penalty...not exactly leadership qualities...next thing yuh know he is de Vice Captain.  He should call he book Buckling-Ham Under Pressure cause he pipe to buss...resulting in a crucial missed penalty.  Big Monkey on he back now...with a choke label to boot.  He is de last one dat should be throwing stones at glass houses.  What he trying to do is deflect his woes and duck his shortcomings by using Ronaldo and now Carvalho as a scape goat.  De way he whineing and bitching, yuh swear is he dat get send off.  Doh worry, ah see yuh for what you are.  De frown, de wince and the drooped shoulders dat result in a crucial miss.  Keep bumping your gums...see excuses...find ah loser.  Ronaldo do what he do for country...Man U and Rooney friendship was de last thing on he mind and dat is de way it should be.  Friendship ends when de battle starts.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2006, 12:42:59 PM »

- no creativity

Omarldinho yuh dont even have to explain..look at what gerrard did to shearer when lee bowyer fouled a liverpool player....the so called english scoring hero pushed around like a arab on a plane

Ah WANT to laugh, but ah eh know if is de right ting to do........

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline jub02

• Hero Warrior
  • Mighty Arsenal & Newcastle .
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2006, 12:53:12 PM »
how come allyuh turn a fairly " nice " england post ( by ur standards ) into another bitching session..

Offline doublet750

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2006, 02:20:19 PM »
read the article and then uh might edit you post

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2006, 07:32:08 PM »
allyuh still blaming Rooney?
ah tell allyuh Rooney wa just trying to backheel the ball and Carvalho just happen to be lying on the ground  ;D
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2006, 09:33:14 PM »
He was the first one to wince and lose composure when Lampard miss he penalty...not exactly leadership qualities...next thing yuh know he is de Vice Captain. He should call he book Buckling-Ham Under Pressure cause he pipe to buss...resulting in a crucial missed penalty. Big Monkey on he back now...with a choke label to boot. He is de last one dat should be throwing stones at glass houses. What he trying to do is deflect his woes and duck his shortcomings by using Ronaldo and now Carvalho as a scape goat. De way he whineing and bitching, yuh swear is he dat get send off. Doh worry, ah see yuh for what you are. De frown, de wince and the drooped shoulders dat result in a crucial miss. Keep bumping your gums...see excuses...find ah loser. Ronaldo do what he do for country...Man U and Rooney friendship was de last thing on he mind and dat is de way it should be. Friendship ends when de battle starts.

Like men ain't realize that this is big money for Stevie.  De man serializing he autobiography, and he need to say thing to sell the paper and de book.  On ah serious note, it have real big name player that miss penalty, so Gerrard is not the first, and he ain't go be the last.  Stevie is ah boss player.  If he wanted to leave Liverpool tomorrow  (he is Liverpool poster child, so that ain't happening now), every team would come rushing for him.  He could play on any team in the world--even Brazil.

Offline jub02

• Hero Warrior
  • Mighty Arsenal & Newcastle .
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2006, 03:07:48 AM »
read the article and then uh might edit you post

i read the article before i read it on here..in the paper.

obviously he believes rooneys " stamp " wasnt intentional..do we hav 2 go into this again? u cant change the mans mind. not many teammates on any team are gonna admit to their star player stamping on some guy balls.

so what he missed a penalty..it happen to alot of people. so wat he lose his cool in some matchs..alot of ppl have.
stevie g is a world class player he give his all and u cant criticise that. ( knowing allyh u probably can) :|

Offline Pompey

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 03:21:55 AM »
Sounds like this statement has been made for two reasons.

Branding Ronaldo a disgrace grabs headlines, perfect when you are trying to sell a book.
Also,
Naming Carvalho fits in nivcely with the "Mind Games" starting between Liverpool and Chelsea.

As for England not being good enough, no shit sherlock ::)

Offline SMH

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 09:13:34 AM »
You  know I just read the article and what no-one has commented on is: how come the English players (and I usually support England by the way) discussed the "wink" right after the match in the bus?  They could NOT have seen the infamous wink from where they were standing on the field whatsoever and should have only found out about it in their hotel rooms later that night. For Gerrard to say they were discussing it immediately following the game is absolute madness and could have only come from speculation when maybe Sven or McLaren mentioned they'd seen a replay from their changing room monitors.  We all had to await replays via the internet days after the match, even though we all were watching the drama unfold live on our televisions. I cannot for one second believe that even the substitue bench could have picked it up so fast, as all eyes must have been on their Rooney has he slowly took the walk of shame. Sorry, that's a major lie in his book to begin with or some serious trouble making in the brewing!!!!!

Offline Pompey

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2006, 10:01:22 AM »
the comments about the wink are true, the England players didn;t see that until after the game, but with the same respect, I can;t believe the referee saw the stamp on carvalho, I think he sent Rooney off for the push of Ronaldo and then changed his mind. But none of it matters now, it;s all history.

I still believe England had the players, not nexessarily in the squad, but available for selection, to win the world cup. We didn;t because we had a poor manager who selected the wrong squad and tried to make amends by playing a system that did not work.

That along with the fact that no English players, with the exception of Hargreaves, played anything like as well as they can. but, as I said, it's all history now.

Offline doublet750

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2006, 10:19:57 AM »
fellas do rember he also told rooney that had it been xabi alonso or one of the other guys form liverpool he would nto speak to them again.....speaking and playing football is two diferent things but to say you would never speak to another person agian becuz he was looking out for hsi countryman now thats stupid......ok he said it was for the wink...but its no secret ronaldo is a flamboyant lil kid so in this game of hardlucks all you can do is forgive forget and get better......im jus tshocked rooney seems the more mature one with this matter compared to a player i think is class on the field in stevie G

Offline dutchman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2006, 04:14:53 PM »
the comments about the wink are true, the England players didn;t see that until after the game, but with the same respect, I can;t believe the referee saw the stamp on carvalho, I think he sent Rooney off for the push of Ronaldo and then changed his mind. But none of it matters now, it;s all history.

I still believe England had the players, not nexessarily in the squad, but available for selection, to win the world cup. We didn;t because we had a poor manager who selected the wrong squad and tried to make amends by playing a system that did not work.

That along with the fact that no English players, with the exception of Hargreaves, played anything like as well as they can. but, as I said, it's all history now.

I think it is something else that made it really hard for England to win this WC.
I think they are like the dutch 10 years ago, the worlds worst penalty takers.
From now on after losing 3 penalties shootouts in a row they will take it finally serious.
Just like the other top countries that know what it takes to get in the finals( Brazil,France,Italy Argentina and of course Germany) But for the UK it will take a new generation to become good at this, since you need to start early preparing them on good penalties.
Of course you could win a WC without any penalty shootout, but this is difficult to achieve and knowing your opponent is better at it also doesn't help to play good in the last quarter.
Just like the Portuguese said they could see the fear in the UK players eyes, by then you already lost on penalties. So the UK should be OK in 2014 or 2018.
Here in Holland the under 25 are also much better at it then the old boys.\
Well, this is what I think about the UK team
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 04:18:21 PM by dutchman »
Rumor has it that every other thing you read or hear is just a rumor.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2006, 04:29:11 PM »
When will de excuses end?

Lawd. 

Offline dutchman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2006, 05:15:58 PM »
Hé Pompey,

Is this still news in your city ?
I don't think ( and hope) that the HUNT will sign with
Portsmouth. 10 million pounds sounds way too low anyway.
GET FORLAN ;)

Today's hot-off-the-press transfer rumours. Some spot on. A few still in the balance. Others best taken with the proverbial pinch of salt.

Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp has been told he must stump up £10 million for Ajax's hotshot frontman Klaas Jan Huntelaar.

Redknapp wants the Dutchman as a replacement for the club's record signing Benjani Mwaruwari who is on his way to French side St Etienne after just six months in the Premiership. Diego Forlan is another striker being linked with a move to Fratton Park.

http://www.inthenews.co.uk/sports/transfergossip/sport/football/transfer-gossip/august-14th-pompey-target-huntelaar-blues-up-cole-offer-hammers-join-green-chase-$447514.htm
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 05:22:11 PM by dutchman »

Offline dutchman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2006, 05:33:29 PM »
hmm big relieve.
seems that you are not getting the HUNT. ;D
Hope it is august 31st soon !
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,27-2312989,00.html

After being unable to sign several forward targets, Portsmouth have changed tack and are offering a deal to Kanu, who left West Bromwich Albion at the end of last season. Harry Redknapp, the Portsmouth manager, has dismissed his chances of signing Diego Forlán, of Villarreal and formerly with Manchester United, and Klaas Jan Huntelaar, of Ajax.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
england v moldova
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2006, 07:47:19 PM »
under 21 live on fsc now.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Pompey

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2006, 04:05:05 AM »
hmm big relieve.
seems that you are not getting the HUNT. ;D
Hope it is august 31st soon !
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,27-2312989,00.html

After being unable to sign several forward targets, Portsmouth have changed tack and are offering a deal to Kanu, who left West Bromwich Albion at the end of last season. Harry Redknapp, the Portsmouth manager, has dismissed his chances of signing Diego Forlán, of Villarreal and formerly with Manchester United, and Klaas Jan Huntelaar, of Ajax.

One of the newspapers asked Harry if he loked Diego Forlan, Harry replied, yes I do,  :rotfl:but I also like Steve Gerrard and I'm not signing him either

Offline Ocky

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2006, 06:33:59 AM »
Just sounds like sour grapes to me!! You lost to England, get over it!!

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2006, 06:44:12 AM »
Just sounds like sour grapes to me!! You lost to England, get over it!!

Sour grapes? How did you come to that concusion? Maybe you should read the original post more carefully.

Cheers

1]; } ?>