March 28, 2024, 10:44:35 PM

Author Topic: How about a little support for Rugby?  (Read 1502 times)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
How about a little support for Rugby?
« on: August 16, 2006, 10:55:38 AM »
As an avid fan of sports in general, I have been following the efforts of our local rugby team. I do think that as a sporting public, we do not give enough creadance to the tremendous efforts our 'ruggers' provide on behalf of TNT.
I think it ois time we move to come out and wave the flag for our SOCA RUGBY Warriors.

TT rugby woes similar to rest of world
Wednesday, August 16 2006
TNT Newsday
WELL-KNOWN Canadian Rugby coach Dr David Docherty said problems faced in the sport in Trinidad and Tobago are similar in countries all over the world.

In an interview Docherty whose visit here was made possible by the International Rugby Board (IRB) for the purpose of enhancing the development of rugby in the twin-island republic, told Newsday Trinidad and Tobago is not alone.

He pointed out the main problem facing this country is the absence of a professional league competition, which would also assist in shaping the mind-set of the players involved.

In addition he also made it clear that the standard of play at the league structure also needed improvement.

The Canadian rugby boss told Trinidad and Tobago Rugby Football Union (TTRFU) secretary Brian Lewis, the country was not keeping pace with the fast-moving rate of change by international countries.

“In other words we are playing a system of play that has been outdated,” Docherty said.

He added, “I went to look at a few matches and the players either have not been informed enough or seriously lack the fitness to keep up with the modern game.”

Docherty has been mandated by the IRB to work with both the men and women national teams with a view to helping with the technical aspects of the game.

He is suggesting that the girls play a lot more matches in the 15s format of the game.

Docherty noted that the girls are accustomed playing the 7s format and therefore need to face action in the 15s to be able to compete internationally.

The local women under coach Kitty Andrews won the Caribbean Championship last year when they defeated Guyana in the final.

And currently, Andrews and her troops have been hard at work comprising a gym-session from 5 am to 9 am daily, backed up by on-the-field practice during the afternoons.

Lewis praised the women for their commitment and pointed out that if the TT men were half as committed as their female colleagues, they would have been a lot more successful.

He claimed that for the last 25 years, TT has commanded either a first or second position in the regional standing.

He added that of late the TT rugby men have been unable to secure one of three top places in the region which reflects the disappointing drop in the standard being produced here.

“This is why the IRB has seen it fit to assist in rescuing the country from a further downward slide” Lewis said.

According to Docherty, the IRB also has a mandate to try and place all teams on level standard in the international rugby world.

He outlined a number of recommendations that will improve TT’s chances for a place in the World Cup in the future.

Among those recommendations is increasing the level of competition and exposing the game to as many interested players.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
Re: How about a little support for Rugby?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 10:37:07 PM »
That could almost be about hockey. Our sports across the board too often suffer the same fate. We don't need a Canadian to come to those conclusions, but often it takes a different accent singing the same song to affect change. Let's hope it works.

Offline Benchwarmer

• Sr. Warrior
  • Trini to the bone...Dutch till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 01:27:00 PM »
I play rugby for one of the top teams in Trindad (Caribs) and fitness is not the problem again.
when i started, talent alone was enough but the others sides got better so then fitness comes into play. One of the main problems is that as ametuers training every Tuesday and Thursday may not be possible every week because of other commitments. We have a few players playing in England but for them to be released for matches is a problem. Alao players with talent sometimes are not from the best background so for them to maintain playing rugby real difficult.

I really find rugby as a sport does not get the right encouragement from the media.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 09:34:00 AM »
I don't understand exactly what you mean by encouragement from the media. Their job is to report, not encourage.

That said, if it is better media coverage for the sport you mean then it is up to the sporting group to make their voice heard. If the relevant media offices are informed of an event they will make the effort to cover it. When they can't cover it you can submit match reports, announcements, etc. and they will report it.

We, culturally, need to stop waiting for people to serve us. If we want something done we need to show the initiative to do it ourselves.

1]; } ?>