April 27, 2024, 12:04:45 PM

Author Topic: Chelsea stock up for Gallas departure  (Read 1539 times)

Offline doublet750

• Hero Warrior
  • mi nuevo nombre es dinho mi vida es joga bonito
    • View Profile
Chelsea stock up for Gallas departure
« on: August 18, 2006, 06:33:12 PM »
Chelsea swoop for Dutch defender Boulahrouz
Chelsea swoop for Dutch defender Boulahrouz

AFP
August 18, 2006
LONDON (AFP) - English champions Chelsea bolstered their defence on the eve of the Premiership season when they bought Dutch international Khalid Boulahrouz from Hamburg.

Boulahrouz, who can play centre-back or left-back, was known as "Khalid the Cannibal" by Hamburg fans in honour of his aggressive tackling style.

The 25-year-old, for whom coach Jose Mourinho has paid an undisclosed fee, will be in London this weekend to undergo a medical and discuss personal terms.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Chelsea Football Club have agreed an undisclosed fee with Hamburg SV for the transfer of Khalid Boulahrouz," said a statement on the club website.

"The Dutch international defender will be travelling to London over the weekend to discuss personal terms and to have a medical."

Chelsea's assistant manager Steve Clarke told Chelsea TV: "He is a good competitive player and will be a good addition to our squad.

"He can play centre-back or full-back. I think he is right-footed and it is important to have one or two players around the squad who can play in a number of different positions."

Mourinho is short of defenders.

Asier del Horno left for Valencia, Glen Johnson is out on loan, William Gallas wants to quit Stamford Bridge while the pursuit of Arsenal's England defender Ashley Cole has ground to a halt.

Boulahrouz started his career in Holland with RKC Waalwijk and he moved to Hamburg two years ago and helped Hamburg finish third last season.

He was part of Marco van Basten's World Cup squad but his tournament ended on a low note when he was one of three players sent off in the stormy last 16 defeat by Portugal.

Boulahrouz is the second high-profile departure from Hamburg after Belgian international defender Daniel van Buyten left for German champions Bayern Munich for over ten million euros in the summer.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylt=AsDMCyuBRGYyROKIiQ_HBqAmw7YF?slug=afp-fblengprgerned&prov=afp&type=lgns

..he is a good defender and things seem like they are materialiising for gallas departure...can someone say replacement

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: Chelsea stock up for Gallas departure
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 06:34:54 PM »
Wonder if Ronaldo go have flashbacks when dem meet Man U?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 05:09:08 AM »
It will be kinda disappointing to see Gallas go, I like very much what he brings to this Chelsea team.  But if he is unhappy, and adamant about leaving and is expressing it at a cost to the team's "esperit de corps", then I guess it's time to let him go.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 07:18:14 AM »
I remember whan I was saying that Chelsea was thin at the back, men was acting like I I don't know whatI talking about.

This purchase smacks of a Chelsea stopgap gamble, like Jarosik or Maniche.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 03:44:55 PM »
I remember whan I was saying that Chelsea was thin at the back, men was acting like I I don't know whatI talking about.

Doh buss meh head, eh Boss.  I didn't "disagree" wit yuh post at thae time. :peace:  I simply had stated that with the wicked fron line and wicked midfield dat Chelsea have, they should be able to overcome whatever defensive shortcomings the season may bring them.  If a side score two on Chelsea, then they should be able to turn 'round and score four.  I believe that thay may suffer a decline in defensive standards this season, but not necessarily to the detriment of the success that is destined to them.  They will win the league and maybe even the FA Cup..........Jury still out on the Champions' League.

Offline Patterson

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 11:55:13 PM »

Doh buss meh head, eh Boss.  I didn't "disagree" wit yuh post at thae time. :peace:  I simply had stated that with the wicked fron line and wicked midfield dat Chelsea have, they should be able to overcome whatever defensive shortcomings the season may bring them.  If a side score two on Chelsea, then they should be able to turn 'round and score four.  I believe that thay may suffer a decline in defensive standards this season, but not necessarily to the detriment of the success that is destined to them.  They will win the league and maybe even the FA Cup..........Jury still out on the Champions' League.

ppl said de same thing about real madrid couple yrs ago and it all went downhill

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 12:22:01 AM »

It may have gone downhill back whenever for RM, but that was a different team in a different time, a different place and a different league.  They had just come off a run of success having even won the Champions' League in 3 of the previous 5 seasons.  There was nowhere to go from there BUT downhill.  Chelsea have not peaked like that in the success department yet.

ppl said de same thing about real madrid couple yrs ago and it all went downhill

1]; } ?>