March 29, 2024, 01:34:44 AM

Author Topic: English Premier League (EPL) Thread  (Read 256627 times)

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Crystal Palace v Fulham
« Reply #1290 on: October 21, 2013, 02:38:40 PM »
Two great strikes by Fulham, but I still have to give Wilshere goal the edge. So many things happen there.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1660yw_arsenal-vs-norwich-4-1-goals-highlights_sport

Tweet from Jack Wilshere after Kasami's goal:

Jack Wilshere ‏@JackWilshere: Well there's my 'goal of the month' prize gone!!!! Take a bow! #Player #MNF

The goal:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/7KbICzi78no" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/7KbICzi78no</a>
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 02:42:02 PM by Ryan »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Crystal Palace v Fulham
« Reply #1291 on: October 21, 2013, 03:08:45 PM »
Maxi-esque...

Offline Dansteel - The Iceman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2012/13 Premier League (EPL) Thread.
« Reply #1292 on: October 21, 2013, 04:34:47 PM »
Two great strikes by Fulham, but I still have to give Wilshere goal the edge. So many things happen there.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1660yw_arsenal-vs-norwich-4-1-goals-highlights_sport

Tweet from Jack Wilshere after Kasami's goal:

Jack Wilshere ‏@JackWilshere: Well there's my 'goal of the month' prize gone!!!! Take a bow! #Player #MNF

The goal:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/7KbICzi78no" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/7KbICzi78no</a>

Respect Jackie boy! Ramsey have a horse in this race too.
Victoria concordia crescit

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: 2013/14 English Premier League Thread.
« Reply #1293 on: October 21, 2013, 10:32:42 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: October 27, 2013, 11:41:06 AM »
Spurs just get a gift from the Ref.

That was no penalty!
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: November 02, 2013, 11:02:19 AM »
Man City have no pity out there boy

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: November 10, 2013, 07:19:32 AM »
Krul is having a hell of a game today.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: November 10, 2013, 10:41:04 AM »
Van Persie poisons his old club again.

1-0 Man Utd.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: November 25, 2013, 04:33:48 PM »
AVB getting make out faster than Reshmi...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/lC-XxeMal2c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/lC-XxeMal2c</a>

Offline Dansteel - The Iceman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: November 25, 2013, 05:01:51 PM »
Moyes real handle he boy Fellaini yes! Man is the same rank sh*thong he was at Everton, except with a bigger contract. Best United stick to Jones at defensive midfield oui!
Victoria concordia crescit

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: November 25, 2013, 10:24:53 PM »
Allyuh see Soldado's heat map from that game? All over the center circle, real kicks.

Tootsenham real disappoint meh so far, they have some nice players but AVB like he not up to it.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: December 01, 2013, 07:16:33 AM »
Every time Spurs get a goal, they decide to give it back to United.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: December 01, 2013, 07:46:17 PM »
Golazo from Sandro today.

Ah like Defoe but how pulling rank come een dat, Walker score ah bess goal yet he come on with some out-ah-timing freekick and hit de damn wall.

Before Walker take he free kick, when Howard and the other announcer talking bout setting up the wall I thinking bout the 'ol Ronanldhino and how he score the free when the wall jump...sure enough Manu wall jump and Walker score yes:)

I didn't know Tim Howard use to announce games, kinda cool to get insights/views from ah man who currently plays against the men commenting on.

What de hell Ashley Young does do for Manu jed?? Steups!!!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: December 14, 2013, 04:58:56 PM »
This is a bit of a shocker...

West Bromwich Albion sack manager Steve Clarke after defeat at Cardiff

• Defeat at Cardiff was the Baggies' fourth loss in a row
• 1-0 reverse left West Brom 16th in the league

West Brom sacked their head coach, Steve Clarke, on Saturday night after a 1-0 defeat at Cardiff that was the Premier League club's fourth loss in a row and left them in 16th place.

Clarke's side had won only one of their last 10 games. They are just two points above the relegation zone.

A statement on the West Brom website said the club had "this evening relieved head coach Steve Clarke of his duties and placed him on gardening leave with immediate effect". It continued: "This was the unanimous decision of the club's board of directors following a disappointing performance throughout 2013.

"Albion have won only seven of their 34 Premier League games during the calendar year – a 20% win rate yielding a total of only 31 points – despite a substantial investment in the first-team squad."

If Clarke had an inkling he was about to be sacked, he did not let on in the immediate aftermath of the match in Cardiff. "We created some chances as we normally do," said Clarke. "At the moment things aren't quite going for us.

"We have to work harder and hope we get a lucky break or that somebody does something fantastic. There is no magic formula or wand."

It will be a new manager in charge for West Brom's game against Hull next weekend, however, with joint-assistant head coach Keith Downing installed to lead the team on a caretaker basis. The club said that Downing will assume control of first-team affairs while the club "considers all available options for a new head coach".

The sporting and technical director, Richard Garlick, said: "We have reluctantly come to the decision to relieve Steve of his duties after very careful consideration.

"It has been well documented that we have not had the rub of the green in certain games this season but that does not cloud the generally disappointing points return during this calendar year, culminating in today's fourth successive defeat at Cardiff.

"This club's track record proves we do not take such decisions lightly, having only enforced a change in this position three times in approximately 14 years.

"But with key games coming thick and fast, we felt it was important we acted now to give the club the best possible chance of a successful outcome this season. Our player wage bill is the highest in the club's history and we feel we have built a squad capable of being very competitive in the Premier League."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/14/west-bromwich-albion-sack-steve-clarke

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Andre Villas-Boas: Tottenham sack manager
« Reply #1305 on: December 16, 2013, 06:37:02 AM »
Andre Villas-Boas: Tottenham sack manager
BBC Sport

Tottenham have sacked manager Andre Villas-Boas in the wake of Sunday's 5-0 thrashing by Liverpool.

The defeat was the club's worst at White Hart Lane in 16 years and left Spurs seventh in the Premier League - eight points behind leaders Arsenal.

Villas-Boas, 36, took over at Tottenham in July 2012.

"The club can announce that agreement has been reached with head coach Andre Villas-Boas for the termination of his services," said a Spurs statement.

"The decision was by mutual consent and in the interests of all parties."

Villas-Boas was dismissed by Chelsea in March 2012 after just over eight months in charge at Stamford Bridge, and he was hoping to rebuild his reputation at Tottenham,

But he had come under increasing pressure in recent weeks as his side struggled to keep pace with the top four in the league.

His side lost 6-0 to Manchester City on 24 November and, despite a draw against Manchester United and wins at Fulham and Sunderland, the defeat by Liverpool proved the final straw for the Spurs hierarchy.

Villas-Boas said he would not "resign" as he was not a "quitter" after the loss to the Reds but, after being summoned to a meeting with Spurs chairman Daniel Levy on Sunday, his future was taken out of his hands.

"We wish Andre well for the future," added the Spurs statement. "We shall make a further announcement in due course."

The early names being linked with replacing the Portuguese include current Russia boss and former England manager Fabio Capello, ex-Chelsea boss Roberto Di Matteo, Swansea boss Michael Laudrup and
Tottenham's current technical director Franco Baldini.

Former Tottenham playmaker and ex-England boss Glenn Hoddle has also been mentioned as a contender.

Former Spurs striker and BBC presenter Gary Lineker tweeted:  "Would love to see Glenn Hoddle given another chance at this level. Has a brilliant football mind."

Italian Baldini, 53, helped oversee the club's transfer dealings during last summer when the club had to contend with the sale of Gareth Bale to Real Madrid for a world record £85.3m.

Bale scored 21 goals last season as Spurs finished a point behind fourth-placed Arsenal to miss out on Champions League qualification.

Tottenham recruited Paulinho, Roberto Soldado, Nacer Chadli, Etienne Capoue, Christian Eriksen, Vlad Chiriches and Erik Lamela with the money from the sale of the Wales international but the team has been unconvincing so far this season.

Villas-Boas had only managed one win from his previous six home league games, with his side scoring just 15 goals in 16 top-flight matches.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: December 16, 2013, 10:29:29 AM »
No surprise with AVB axing.  Just last night me and a bredrin was saying it was imminent.  That high defensive line bs did him in again.  Not sure why he sticks with it even when he lacks ultra speedy defensive players to execute it effectively.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: December 16, 2013, 11:59:07 AM »
Feel kinda bad for him, reputation in tatters now.  There'll still be room for him in the Prem but I don't see him getting another top-flight opportunity anytime soon.  One also has to wonder whether his age and lack of playing experience costing him any respect in the locker room.  On a veteran team like Chelsea I could see that, but Spurs not that old and more importantly, haven't won shit.  It begs the question though.

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: December 16, 2013, 01:31:38 PM »
Feel kinda bad for him, reputation in tatters now.  There'll still be room for him in the Prem but I don't see him getting another top-flight opportunity anytime soon.  One also has to wonder whether his age and lack of playing experience costing him any respect in the locker room.  On a veteran team like Chelsea I could see that, but Spurs not that old and more importantly, haven't won shit.  It begs the question though.

Well his interpersonal skills and general man management off the pitch is questionable.  At Chelsea he polarized himself by ostracizing Nico who was one of the players everyone on the team loved as well as Alex even banning them from attending the Christmas party.  After that his fate was sealed because not only was his tactics not suited to the personnel on the pitch but he was a total asshole off it.  This ensured that the players would not give their all for him which naturally affects results.  Don't know what happened at Spurs but I find it hard to understand their poor play and goal ratio.  I doh ever feel sorry fuh millionaires that get fired nah lol.  He will get another job at lower level clubs for sure if he decide to take it, but that big club scenes dead now.  He might be on the shelf like DiMateo for a bit.  Imagine if they offer DiMateo the job and he rights the ship (for a second time).  Not only would that give RDM much more credibility and clout to attract big jobs but it would totally relegate AVB to the role of posturer and would likely destroy whatever shred of benefit his time at Porto helped to achieve.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: December 16, 2013, 04:42:25 PM »
Well his interpersonal skills and general man management off the pitch is questionable.  At Chelsea he polarized himself by ostracizing Nico who was one of the players everyone on the team loved as well as Alex even banning them from attending the Christmas party.  After that his fate was sealed because not only was his tactics not suited to the personnel on the pitch but he was a total asshole off it.  This ensured that the players would not give their all for him which naturally affects results.  Don't know what happened at Spurs but I find it hard to understand their poor play and goal ratio.  I doh ever feel sorry fuh millionaires that get fired nah lol.  He will get another job at lower level clubs for sure if he decide to take it, but that big club scenes dead now.  He might be on the shelf like DiMateo for a bit.  Imagine if they offer DiMateo the job and he rights the ship (for a second time).  Not only would that give RDM much more credibility and clout to attract big jobs but it would totally relegate AVB to the role of posturer and would likely destroy whatever shred of benefit his time at Porto helped to achieve.

Ah forget about that whole Alex/Anelka Christmas party thing... I too thought that was some bullshit... definitely questionable.  And yeah, I liked DiMatteo, would love to see him come to Spurs and succeed... if only to spit in Roman eye lol
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 04:45:10 PM by Bakes »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: December 16, 2013, 05:05:22 PM »
would love to see him come to Spurs and succeed... if only to spit in Roman eye lol

I second this....and I'sa chelsea fan ......Roman too f**kup
I pity the fool....

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: December 16, 2013, 05:05:55 PM »
From what i've read Villas-Boas is an excellent tactician but a poor man manager and if so, he will continue to struggle with top tier teams. Will make an excellent assistant coach though.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: December 17, 2013, 11:07:32 AM »
From what i've read Villas-Boas is an excellent tactician but a poor man manager and if so, he will continue to struggle with top tier teams. Will make an excellent assistant coach though.

He need to realize that despite being manager some players command more attention from both the players as well as upper management than he ever will because of their skill level and relevant importance to the franchises.  Not saying no man bigger than the team but if yuh illtreat popular locker room players then yuh settin up fuh disaster!

BnS I always felt RDM get a real raw deal, I would love to see him come in and succeed as well.  For the life of me I can't remember any other EUFA CL winning coach not getting looks the way it happens with him.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 11:09:22 AM by Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$ »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: December 19, 2013, 04:28:14 PM »
Including Wenger, the longevity average for managers in the BPL is 1.91 years. Heard this figure on the BBC.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: December 19, 2013, 09:23:55 PM »

December 19, 2013
Some of Hottest Seats in Sports Belong to Premier League Coaches

By JOHN F. BURNS

LONDON — After André Villas-Boas became the fifth soccer manager to lose his job in the 20-team Premier League this season, The Daily Mail offered a salutation to Tim Sherwood, who was named this week to replace him at Tottenham Hotspur on an interim basis as the club hunts for a big-name successor.

“Welcome to the madhouse,” the newspaper said.

The admonition was not only for Spurs, who have fired eight managers in the past 12 years. A total of 195 managers have been fired or hastened into resignation since the Premier League began play in 1992, on the way to becoming the financial juggernaut of European sports, with nearly $5 billion in total club revenue in the past three playing seasons alone.

What has become known in Britain as the managerial carousel extends even further, across the 92 clubs that make up the top four divisions of English soccer, including the Premier League. According to organizations that track the firings, those clubs have since 1996 racked up more than 800 firings among head coaches and managers. (In Britain, the terms are interchangeable, referring to posts whose occupants run a team’s on-field operations.)

For soccer fans, 1996 has become a benchmark for the type of hand-wringing that has accompanied the Villas-Boas firing. That was the year Arsène Wenger arrived in England. Now 64, Wenger, with 17 years at the helm of another London club, Arsenal, is the longest-serving manager in the Premier League and a counterpoint to the revolving door of management that prevails at many other clubs. After several lean years, Arsenal is at the top of the Premier League standings, followed closely by Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester City.

The frequency with which clubs dismiss managers has been enough to prompt British betting companies to offer odds on who is likely to be gone next. There are websites, too, dedicated to the topic, including one, the Sack Race, that collects and posts odds offered by various betting organizations.

Wenger, at 100-1, is a joint favorite to survive in his job. He shared that position with Roberto Martínez, a Spaniard who is in his first, highly successful year as manager of Everton. David Moyes, the longtime previous manager of Everton, which is based in Liverpool, left to take over for Alex Ferguson, the longest-serving manager in the history of top-flight soccer in Britain, when he stepped down after more than 26 years at Manchester United.

Since the Villas-Boas firing, the sports pages of British newspapers have been rife with speculation on other likely Premier League dismissals, with subjects including the managers of at least six other clubs that are fighting to avoid a bottom-three finish in the league and relegation to the second tier of English soccer, known as the Championship. With relegation comes the loss of $150 million to $200 million a year, the share of television revenue that goes to each Premier League club.

Tracking the fortunes of managers has become almost as much of a pastime among soccer fans as the game itself. In the case of Villas-Boas, and other recent firings, television cameras have focused on the often haunted looks on the faces of managers thought to be doomed. Supporters of opposing teams fill the role of Madame Defarge at the guillotine, improvising mocking chants that foreshadow a manager’s dismissal. One common component is a warning to expect a P45 form, the equivalent of a pink slip in the United States.

In lamenting the dismissals, managers and soccer commentators often blame the culture of impatience that has blossomed as the financial stakes in top-flight soccer have grown. The new generation of billionaire club owners, many of them foreigners who have supplanted community-based owners, is another easy target, though on that issue there have been opposing opinions.

Owners like Roman Abramovich, a Russian, and Sheik Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan, of Abu Dhabi, have invested billion-dollar sums in Chelsea and Manchester City, turning the clubs into title chasers in English and European competition while gaining notoriety for firing managers who falter. Roberto Mancini of Manchester City was fired last season, a year after the club won the Premier League and two years after it won the F.A. Cup; Roberto Di Matteo got his P45 within months of winning the European Champions League title with Chelsea.

But other owners have stuck with managers through meager times. The American Stan Kroenke, the majority shareholder of Arsenal, has backed Wenger strongly even as the club has not won a trophy of any kind since 2005. Members of the American Glazer family, who have owned Manchester United since 2005, were stolid supporters of Ferguson and have backed Moyes, even though the club has slipped to eighth in the Premier League, 10 points behind Arsenal, after Moyes’s first few months.

Moyes was one of many prominent people in soccer who sympathized with Villas-Boas.

“The best clubs have had stability over the years,” he said, citing Wenger, Ferguson and his own 11 years at Everton. Grasping that, he said, might mean that clubs would not be “hiring and firing managers so often.”

Mark Hughes, fired at Manchester City and Fulham, and now manager at Stoke City, which is struggling in the Premier League this year, concurred.

“It just seems now that it’s all too easy to change coaches and managers, and it’s a shame,” he said.

Gary Neville, a former Manchester United captain who has built a career as a television analyst, was scathing. Referring to Villas-Boas’s problems in forming a coherent performance out of $175 million in new signings for the 2013 season, he wrote on Twitter: “Had to incorporate seven new players, which takes time! Rubbish! Let him finish his work! Prime ministers and presidents get 4/5 years for a reason.”

A former protégé of José Mourinho’s during his first stint as Chelsea manager, from 2004 to 2007, Villas-Boas had a Tottenham record that was statistically unmatched, winning more than 50 percent of all games in the 18 months he was in charge. When he was fired, the club was seventh in the Premier League, 2 points ahead of Manchester United. But a run of crushing defeats against the top clubs, including a 5-0 drubbing by Liverpool at Spurs’ White Hart Lane last Saturday, proved his undoing.

It seemed unlikely that Villas-Boas’s plight would stir much chagrin from the 2.4 million Britons who are unemployed. Villas-Boas is reported to have received a $6.5 million payoff from Spurs, on top of a $20 million payoff when he was fired by Chelsea in 2012. That, too, might be viewed by many soccer fans as something fit for the madhouse.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/20/sports/soccer/premier-league-firings-with-steinbrenner-esque-frequency.html?partner=rss&emc=rss
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 09:25:54 PM by Bakes »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: December 22, 2013, 01:01:58 AM »
This AVB sacking did not rest on man management issues.

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: December 23, 2013, 01:31:46 PM »
This AVB sacking did not rest on man management issues.

I don't think anyone said it did.  there is the possiblity however, that it may have played an inderect role as it would have the consequence of affecting team performance.  Despite that high defensive line he loves and how it exposes the defense, the lack of scoring was glaring. 

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: December 23, 2013, 01:53:05 PM »
Beginning with this past weekend... 4 games in 10 days... murder!  This is the championship right here in a nutshell.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: December 26, 2013, 12:18:27 PM »
What a half between Man City & Liverpool

Ooh Guude

End tuh end ball

Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: December 28, 2013, 10:02:54 AM »
Why Tottenham didn't bring Chris Hughton back? Anyone know if they consider him?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

1]; } ?>