April 25, 2024, 04:03:32 PM

Author Topic: English Premier League (EPL) Thread  (Read 259115 times)

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2010-2011 English Premier League Thread
« Reply #900 on: February 06, 2011, 11:55:39 AM »
Big win for Liverpool, albeit a bit lucky. Chelsea should definitely have had at least one penalty given in the 2nd half, especially that handball.

But given what Liverpool has been through this season, I will take all the luck my side can get.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: February 06, 2011, 12:00:38 PM »
stamford bridge ent no fortress no more...i like luiz though, he will be immense for chelski.

Nice composed defender. Good touches and very comfortable on the ball.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: February 06, 2011, 12:03:22 PM »
Big win for Liverpool, albeit a bit lucky. Chelsea should definitely have had at least one penalty given in the 2nd half, especially that handball.

But given what Liverpool has been through this season, I will take all the luck my side can get.

That was never a penalty for me... the ball came at Lucas at pace from a short range and he attempted to get his arm away from its path.  The ball actually grazed off his stomach before making contact with the arm... would have been very harsh to give that in my opinion.  The stupid foul by Johnson is another matter.... but that's Karma, for both Padriguez' miss and for Torres' defection.

Proud of my team today... this is the kind of fight, composure and spirit that's been missing the past 18 months.  Torres want to play Champions League ball, let him go chase it.  We want players who want to be with the club, the rats who want to jump ship at the first sign of water over the gunwales are free to leave.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: February 06, 2011, 12:12:07 PM »

That was never a penalty for me... the ball came at Lucas at pace from a short range and he attempted to get his arm away from its path.  The ball actually grazed off his stomach before making contact with the arm... would have been very harsh to give that in my opinion.  The stupid foul by Johnson is another matter.... but that's Karma, for both Padriguez' miss and for Torres' defection.

Proud of my team today... this is the kind of fight, composure and spirit that's been missing the past 18 months.  Torres want to play Champions League ball, let him go chase it.  We want players who want to be with the club, the rats who want to jump ship at the first sign of water over the gunwales are free to leave.

Preach brother.  No one man is Liverpool.  Start dreaming about Suarez and Carroll together, plus Meireles.  Best thing Hodgson do.  This Meireles fella could really sniff out a goal.  How and where will Joe Cole play?  I still believe he has something left in him.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 12:14:52 PM by Tenorsaw »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: February 06, 2011, 12:22:39 PM »
Big win for Pool...big loss for Chelsea- not a great game for the neutrals...pretty dull and scrappy.

Chelsea seems clueless with the ball, and Liverpool plays to a plan full stop. 

Never thought that the Liverpool - Chelsea match up ever really provided good spectator football.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: February 06, 2011, 12:35:56 PM »
Big win for Pool...big loss for Chelsea- not a great game for the neutrals...pretty dull and scrappy.

Never thought that the Liverpool - Chelsea match up ever really provided good spectator football.

Agree.  With the coaching history (Mourinho vs. Benitez) over the last four years, it has often proven to be a match oftactical acumen.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: February 06, 2011, 12:42:28 PM »

Agree.  With the coaching history (Mourinho vs. Benitez) over the last four years, it has often proven to be a match oftactical acumen.

...the so-called "boring" football that Mourinho was so often criticised for implimenting, seems to still be the overall philosophy.  Very frustrating to watch at times...

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: February 06, 2011, 12:53:44 PM »
I thought the game was fairly even. Scrappy at times but good. I enjoyed it. The goal was well taken by meirles. But I blamed Cech to an extent. I thought Ivanovic could have cut the ball off but he left it for Cech, seeing he(Cech) had blasted him for a cross ball in the first half. I remember Philbert Prince saying, boom it out when in doubt.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: February 06, 2011, 01:01:00 PM »
I thought the game was fairly even. Scrappy at times but good. I enjoyed it. The goal was well taken by meirles. But I blamed Cech to an extent. I thought Ivanovic could have cut the ball off but he left it for Cech, seeing he(Cech) had blasted him for a cross ball in the first half. I remember Philbert Prince saying, boom it out when in doubt.

Doh forget the two men that were ball-watching on the weak side as Meireles stormed in. 

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: February 06, 2011, 01:04:15 PM »

Doh forget the two men that were ball-watching on the weak side as Meireles stormed in. 

...they were probably left flat-footed by Cech's half attempt at claiming for the ball....I thought he was going to come for it and he ended up just falling back....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: February 06, 2011, 01:10:40 PM »
I just knew that spat with Ivanovic would cause problems for them... just didn't think it would be so immediate in proving me right.  Cech overreacted at a very understandable play by Ivanovic... after he fell he had no way of seeing Cech diving for the ball as he attempted to clear the second time and Cech showed him up unnecessarily. 

On the goal you could see it clearly affected him as he deferred, perhaps too much to Cech... except Cechken wanted no part of the contact and was himself unsure what Ivanovic was going to do... he waiting to see what Ivanovic will do rather than asserting himself.

giggsy11

« Reply #911 on: February 06, 2011, 03:14:58 PM »
Well done Liverpool; knocking Chelski back in their place and shutting up Terry! Chelski do not appear to have a plan B on or off the field. Very easy to defend when they depend on their backs to provide width  and they not playing players in position of strength. Very reliant on the 3 in midfield and only one of the three can be considered creative. Off the field plan appears to be throw money at any player that may take the bait. Chelski needed a winger more than they needed Torres. Spending more than they are bringing in. Interested in seeing how it all turns out.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 03:36:56 PM by giggsy11 »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: February 11, 2011, 05:04:31 PM »
Not as full a TV slate as we've become used to.... but a big Manchester Derby sets the table.

As usual, home team listed first.  All times EDT:

Saturday February 12

Manchester United v. Manchester City- 7:30 am FSC/Fox Deportes

Liverpool v.   Wigan Athletic- 9:55 am FSP

Arsenal v.    Wolverhampton Wolves - 9:55 am ESPN2/ESPN3.com

Sunderland v.  Tottenham Hotspurs - 10 am FSC/Fox Deportes

Sunday February 13

Bolton Wanderers v.    Everton- 10 am FSC/Fox Deportes

Monday February 14

Fulham v. Chelsea- 2:55 am ESPN2/ESPN3.com

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: February 12, 2011, 09:08:15 AM »
Fox jiggered the schedule... Liverpool v. Wigan on FSC now.  My guess is that the Sunderland game was switched to FSP instead.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: February 13, 2011, 12:00:12 AM »
Why do the people on ESPN always have to talk about other games and scores during their live game?  >:( That does really piss me off...they don't do that on FSC.

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

giggsy11

« Reply #915 on: February 13, 2011, 08:46:23 AM »
Why do the people on ESPN always have to talk about other games and scores during their live game?  >:( That does really piss me off...they don't do that on FSC.

Big Up!

I thought it was only me it was bothering. I agree, always flashing scores, if you happen to be taping any of those games or waiting to watch them they done ruin it for you.

giggsy11

« Reply #916 on: February 14, 2011, 05:13:56 PM »
Torres playing like he jus realize he not playing for a bigger side! It would be poetic justice if Chelski finish outside of the top four! To quote Kevin Keegan "I would luv it"! Men like to critiszie Fergie but he got it right when he said that Chelski as a team could not improve anymore due to the age of their players and were on the down side. Only it took a year later to happen.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: February 14, 2011, 05:30:50 PM »
 :devil:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: February 14, 2011, 05:56:35 PM »
Torres playing like he jus realize he not playing for a bigger side! It would be poetic justice if Chelski finish outside of the top four! To quote Kevin Keegan "I would luv it"! Men like to critiszie Fergie but he got it right when he said that Chelski as a team could not improve anymore due to the age of their players and were on the down side. Only it took a year later to happen.

Men does criticize fergie because he is an arrogant, hypocritical, dog of a human being with very few redeeming qualities outside of the niche he found in english football.  The criticism have nothing to do with what he said or didn't say about Chelsea so whether he got it right or wrong a year later or not, it wouldn't change people's general view of him.  This year will just be another of the usual for allyuh side: win th league, get knocked out of the CL.  Not the best thing for y'all self-proclaimed legacy but something to please the haters (like me) all the same. 

giggsy11

« Reply #919 on: February 14, 2011, 06:05:05 PM »

Men does criticize fergie because he is an arrogant, hypocritical, dog of a human being with very few redeeming qualities outside of the niche he found in english football.  The criticism have nothing to do with what he said or didn't say about Chelsea so whether he got it right or wrong a year later or not, it wouldn't change people's general view of him.  This year will just be another of the usual for allyuh side: win th league, get knocked out of the CL.  Not the best thing for y'all self-proclaimed legacy but something to please the haters (like me) all the same. 

:nailbiting: :drool: Smooches!

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: February 14, 2011, 06:12:19 PM »

:nailbiting: :drool: Smooches!

You, DieHard, Sammy, fergie....all ah allyuh manUre could kiss it for all I care!  :D

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: February 26, 2011, 01:03:32 PM »
How this thread so far? rotting on page 3

United 4-0 away to Wigan.. 4 points clear.. 2 massive games ahead in the prem, Chelsea and Liverpool away.. want 6, expecting 4.

17 goals in 6 games today.. 3.4 goals average a game today

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: February 26, 2011, 03:19:05 PM »
Thought I would put this in here for anybody that remembers him.

No age at all. RIP

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/9408254.stm

Former Wolves and Spurs defender Dean Richards dies

Dean Richards, the former Wolves, Southampton, Bradford and Tottenham defender, has died at the age of 36.

Richards passed away on Saturday morning after losing his long-term battle with illness.

During his spell at Spurs, Richards began to suffer from dizzy spells and headaches and he was forced to retire in 2005 after taking medical advice.

In 2007 Richards was made youth-team coach at Bradford City, his hometown club and where he started his career.

A statement on the Bantams' website read: "The club are truly devastated to hear of the death of former Bradford City fans' favourite Dean Richards."

Richards' biggest transfer was his £8.1m move from Saints to Spurs in 2001 but he was to make only 73 league appearances in his four years with the north Londoners.

At that time Richards was diagnosed with an inner ear infection and also underwent a scan for a brain tumour but the results of the scan proved negative.

He was, however, advised it would be harmful to his health to continue playing and hung up his boots in March 2005.

He said at the time: "I am obviously deeply disappointed to be giving up the sport I love, but it's the only choice."

Richards began his career at Bradford, before joining Wolves, where he became a firm favourite.

The Black Country club said in statement on Saturday: "Everyone at Wolves is saddened to hear of the death of Dean Richards.

"Remembered for his trademark skilful breaks out of defence as well as his ability in the air, Richards will always be fondly remembered by Wolves fans who continued to follow his career closely when he moved on to Southampton and Tottenham.

"There will be a tribute paid to the defender ahead of next Sunday's game with his former club Spurs."

Wolves boss Mick McCarthy said following his side's 4-0 win over Blackpool: "I can't tell you how sad I feel for him and his family - 36 years of age. It is just devastating for them.

"He was a nice fella, and he is well remembered here because he scored a goal against West Bromwich Albion, so he will always be fondly remembered.

"I didn't know him, but he has played against my teams and he was a very good footballer."

Opposite number Ian Holloway added: "Dean lived a couple of doors down for me when I lived in St Albans. He was a wonderful fella, my love goes out to his family."

After four years at Molineux, Richards moved to then-Premiership side Southampton, who were managed by current Cardiff boss Dave Jones.

Richards also impressed under Jones's successor Glenn Hoddle, who took the centre-back with him to White Hart Lane in 2001. The fee was the highest for a player with no senior international caps.

But Richards, who played for England's Under-21s on four occasions, was unable to overcome injuries and illness and his career was cut short at the age of 31.

Tottenham said in a statement: "Everyone at Tottenham Hotspur was saddened to hear of the death of our former player Dean Richards.

"We extend our sincere condolences to the family of Dean Richards at this very sad time."

giggsy11

« Reply #923 on: May 07, 2011, 09:37:55 AM »
Everton may play a very basic game but no team is better at getting the most out of their players' talents. I have great respect for that team and their coach. Cahil does scare center backs just by his presence; he came on against City and all of a sudden City were scrabbling in the box to clear the ball. Pity the fools who have to play them at the end of the season! ;D

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: May 07, 2011, 09:39:21 AM »
Blackburn vs West ham looking like the game of the day. 10 minutes to go, tied 1-1
Gotta love a relegation battle.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: May 07, 2011, 09:50:21 AM »
Keane now throw away the season.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

giggsy11

« Reply #926 on: May 07, 2011, 10:00:11 AM »
Blackburn vs West ham looking like the game of the day. 10 minutes to go, tied 1-1
Gotta love a relegation battle.

West Ham dodged going down a the season the had Tevez and get away with playing him for that season. So I hope they go down this season. The FA ruled in their favor only because they felt they were to good a club with big history to go down, while Shefield Wednesday or United, I forgot which one, ended up going down. Any side who decide Wayne Bridge is the answer deserves to go down anyway!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: May 07, 2011, 10:28:14 AM »
Everton may play a very basic game but no team is better at getting the most out of their players' talents. I have great respect for that team and their coach. Cahil does scare center backs just by his presence; he came on against City and all of a sudden City were scrabbling in the box to clear the ball. Pity the fools who have to play them at the end of the season! ;D

Just saw the highlights... incredible header by old man Osman to win it.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: May 08, 2011, 06:34:26 AM »

What is it you guys does gain from hateing another person,someone you never met or know personally,someone who can care less how you or anyone else feels,you all does just be eating up yourselves for no reason,the thing is life goes on regardless of how anyone feels.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
English Premier League Thread.
« Reply #929 on: June 18, 2012, 05:38:57 AM »
2012/13 Premier League (EPL) Thread.

Premier League fixtures announced.

(PA) - Manchester City will begin their defence of the Premier League with a home match against Southampton.

Roberto Mancini's men, who edged Manchester United to the title last month, face Nigel Adkins' newly-promoted side on 18 August at the Etihad Stadium.

United, pipped on the final day of 2011/12 by their city rivals, open with a match at Everton before taking on Fulham at Old Trafford the following weekend.

Arsenal, who finished third in 2011/12, kick-off with a home game against Sunderland, before taking to the road with trips to Stoke and Liverpool.

Two UEFA Europa League rivals meet on the opening day at the Sports Direct Arena, with Newcastle United taking on Tottenham Hotspur, currently managerless after the departure of Harry Redknapp.

Roberto di Matteo's career as permanent Chelsea coach starts with a game at Wigan. The Blues' first home game of 2012/13 is against Newcastle.

Brendan Rodgers' Liverpool open at West Bromwich Albion - although the first three Anfield fixtures are more eye-catching, with Manchester City, Arsenal and Manchester United the visitors.

The team Rodgers left, Swansea, now managed by Michael Laudrup, begin at QPR.

West Ham United's return to the Premier League starts with a home match against Aston Villa, now under the leadership of Paul Lambert.

Fellow newcomers Reading will also have home advantage in their first top flight game for four years - with Stoke the opening-day opponents at the Madejski Stadium.

The other first-day match sees Fulham and Norwich meet at Craven Cottage in Chris Hughton's first competitive game since replacing Lambert as Canaries boss.

Boxing Day sees Manchester United face Newcastle, while Sunderland and City meet at the Stadium of Light.

Newcastle against Arsenal is the most eye-catching of the 19 May fixtures, when newly-promoted West Ham and Reading play for what could be three priceless final day points at Upton Park.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 01:21:56 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

1]; } ?>