March 28, 2024, 09:46:40 AM

Author Topic: English Premier League (EPL) Thread  (Read 256460 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2015/16 Barclays Premier League Thread
« Reply #1710 on: October 30, 2015, 02:47:34 PM »
Klopp's press conference was sober and hilarious at the same time. Says if you want, call me "the normal one". Also told the English press "I heard a lot about you before I came here. Prove to me that they (his sources) are liars." :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Q: Did Jurgen Klopp make you laugh when he called himself 'the Normal One'? (Which he didn't really as Mourinho didn't call himself The Special One all those years ago)

Mourinho: "Why should I laugh?”

Comment from October 30, 2015 press conference.

On Liverpool and Klopp

"He is not someone I know well because in football you do not have friends but he is someone I like.

"They were a good team and they are a good team. They had a good manager and have a new very good manager. Everything is the same. He changed some details obviously in their tactical approach to matches but this is the nature of the game especially when you are speaking about two top managers.

"When you change a top one to another top one the level is high."
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 02:53:54 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: October 31, 2015, 07:48:46 AM »
Pretty sure Mourinho will be asking where the extra seconds came from for Liverpool's equalizer. Nevertheless, good end to the half from a neutral viewpoint.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: October 31, 2015, 04:56:12 PM »
@ post-match presser Mourinho said "nothing" but said everything. Plus, before that, in the dregs of the match, his face said everything also.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: November 01, 2015, 09:53:28 AM »
More high scoring matches this term than in recent seasons? Just this weekend City v Bournemouth and Newcastle v Norwich. Not to mention the very same City v the very same Newcastle. Plus Spurs demolished City a few weeks back. Will we witness a goal-record season? 

And again with Spurs' punishment of Bournemouth on Sunday.

And now Everton 6 Sunderland 2.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: November 07, 2015, 04:29:37 AM »
Chelsea’s José Mourinho will not appeal against one-match stadium ban
The Guardian

• Mourinho will be absent for Saturday’s match against Stoke
• ‘I think it’s stupid to fight a fight you know you already lose’

José Mourinho has opted not to appeal against a one-match stadium ban and will be absent as Chelsea confront Stoke City on Saturday, but has stressed he will retain “every responsibility” for the way in which his players perform.

The Portuguese suggested he might simply remain on the team bus when the Premier League champions arrive at the Britannia stadium, or “sit on a street corner”, and watch the game on his iPad having gone through various scenarios to prepare his assistants, Rui Faria and Steve Holland, who will direct affairs from the dugout.

Mourinho was sent to the stands at West Ham after refusing to leave the referee’s room at the interval where he had been questioning the dismissals of Nemanja Matic and his assistant Silvino Louro. The 52-year-old is now not permitted at the ground on match day and, while the Football Association has indicated it will not police him during the game with the ban effectively designed to keep him away from the match officials, he is technically not allowed to contact his staff at any point until after the final whistle.

“I travel with the team and will be with them until the moment somebody stops me, which is, I think, when I am in the limit of the compound of the stadium,” said Mourinho. “We know when I have to stop. I don’t know (where I will watch the game). I have no plans. Maybe I sit on the street corner with my iPad. I don’t know. Maybe I don’t even watch the game. I can’t contact my staff during the game. Why? Maybe Twitter, Livescore. I don’t know.”

Asked who would be in charge of changes during the game, whether tactical tweaks or substitutions, he explained: “Me. I will be in charge. Every responsibility is my responsibility. My staff are completely free of that extra pressure. That doesn’t belong to their jobs. It’s my responsibility. If, after 10 minutes, we are playing with seven men, it’s something I didn’t prepare my assistants for. They’d have to decide themselves. But we tried to reduce (the decisions needed to be made).

“The game is unpredictable. We don’t know the direction it will go in many aspects, but we try to reduce them. That we did. The most incredible scenarios you can imagine (we prepared). Let’s go to extremes: at half-time winning or losing 4-0.

“In between this, you have 1,000 options: be dominating and controlling the game; being dominated and not controlling the game; having problems with this or that area; injuries or red cards of the goalkeeper, the right-back, the centre-half, the striker, the winger. We went through all these different scenarios. They are prepared. But what is also important is for them to feel protected by the fact that it’s my responsibility. It’s just for the players to play, and for the assistants to be with them and supportive with them.”

Mourinho, who is the first Premier League manager to suffer a stadium ban since Alan Pardew head-butted Hull’s David Meyler while in charge of Newcastle in January 2014, suggested there had been no point appealing the disciplinary commission’s decision to suspend him “because it’s stupid to fight a fight you know already you’ll lose”. He fears the sanction has now set a precedent in terms of language used by managers towards the officials.

“Well, you can imagine that is not easy,” he added, when asked how difficult the experience will be. “You can imagine how I feel. And I don’t want to speak a lot about it because, to speak about it, I have to go deeper. I have to go to the dimension of the situation. One thing is not to be on the bench. Because, against West Ham, the referee told me not to be on the bench in the second half. But nobody told me to leave the stadium.

“At this moment, I am stopped not just to do my work, but from going to a football stadium and being at something I like so much. Football. If I go to the dimension of the punishment, I think it opens a range of situations and options that I can imagine, in the future, we are going to have lots of managers with stadium bans because a stadium ban should relate to something really, really serious in terms of aggression.

“This stadium ban is connected to words. To complaints. So, I imagine, in this moment it’s open, in the future, for the stadium ban to happen many more times. But I know the situation where I am in relation to the football power in this country, and I have to adapt. I have to adapt to it.”

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: November 07, 2015, 04:58:18 AM »
North London Derby

Victory in the north London derby would be an ideal way for Arsenal to get over their midweek humiliation in the Champions League and reassert their title-wining credentials but they will have to excel to achieve such a result. Tottenham arrive in fine form and bolstered by the return of Son Heung-min, while Arsenal’s injury list remains long with seven players definitely out and three more doubtful. Paul Doyle

Venue Emirates Stadium
Last season Arsenal 1 Tottenham Hotspur 1
Referee Martin Atkinson
This season G10, Y46, R0, 4.60 cards per game

Arsenal

Subs: from Macey, Ospina, Chambers, Gibbs, Gabriel, Flamini, Arteta, Iwobi
Doubtful: Arteta (ankle), Koscielny (hip), Ospina (shoulder)
Injured: Bellerín (groin, 21 Nov), Ox-Chamberlain (hamstring, 21 Nov), Ramsey (hamstring, 21 Nov), Walcott (calf, Dec), Wilshere (fractured leg, Jan), Welbeck (knee, Feb)
Suspended: None
Form: LWWWWW
Discipline: Y13 R2
Leading scorers: Giroud, Sánchez 6

Tottenham Hotspur

Subs: Vorm, Trippier, Wimmer, Fazio, Davies, Carroll, Mason, Winks, Onomah, Son, Townsend, Bentaleb, N’Jie
Doubtful: Bentaleb (ankle), Townsend (club punishment)
Injured: Chadli (ankle, 28 Nov), Pritchard (ankle, Jan)
Suspended: None
Form: WWDDWW
Discipline: Y25 R0
Leading scorer: Kane 5

(Sourced from The Guardian, UK).

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: December 21, 2015, 06:28:38 AM »
Big clash today: Gunners v. City. Looking forward to it. Wenger had sensible things to say about Pelligrini in comments in anticipation of the match. Three points for Arsenal would mean some separation from City and some career irritation for Pellegrini.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: December 21, 2015, 03:42:18 PM »
Yaya Toure just scored a beaut against MC. 2-1 in favour of the Gunners.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: December 21, 2015, 04:19:44 PM »
Yaya Toure just scored a beaut against MC. 2-1 in favour of the Gunners.

Sublime, and from no where. He did what Navas should have done.

Is Navas a luxury baller? Put him in a T&T shirt doing some of the same things and he would be subject to critique abuse.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: December 21, 2015, 05:01:10 PM »
City: 63% possession, 20 shots, 6 on target, 8 corners, 11 shots within the penalty area compared to Arsenal's 6 (but the Gunners had 5 on target from 8 total attempts).

I understand De Bruyne's confidence but I thought he was a step off in his fluidity with the ball and his decision-making in clutch moments.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: December 21, 2015, 11:19:24 PM »
Watching Watford dismantle Liverpool took me back to when Watford was a First Division powerhouse. Wicked!!!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: December 24, 2015, 12:24:34 AM »
What is it that attracts US investors to the multi-million-pound EPL?
By David Conn, The Guardian

Everton have joined a long list of English clubs to be the subject of scrutiny by American investors

The news that Everton’s long, public search for investment is attracting interest from two US investors, following Crystal Palace’s sale of a 36% stake and Bournemouth a 25% shareholding, extends the incongruous spectacle of English football clubs becoming owned in a country still generally oblivious to soccer. When Malcolm Glazer and his six children started this historic change with their buy-up 10 years ago of that most storied of clubs, Manchester United, they declared that Joel Glazer was an “avid” fan.

Now that investors are checking out Everton following US purchases at Arsenal, Liverpool, Aston Villa, Sunderland, Bournemouth and Palace – seven of the 20 current Premier League clubs – there is little effort to suggest the major motivator does not come down to money. The “EPL”, as the Premier League is known and marketed in the US – a key reason why the Football League is rebranding to the “EFL” - is booming and the latest £5.136bn paid by Sky and BT for the 2016‑19 UK live rights has alerted more potential buyers across the Atlantic.

Whereas Chelsea’s 2003 purchase by Roman Abramovich and the 2008 acquisition of Manchester City by Sheikh Mansour of Abu Dhabi seemed to signal English football clubs would be owned by billionaires as trophy assets, there are only so many sheikhs and oligarchs and they are anyway running their clubs to be break-even businesses. As clubs have been sold,, for a mix of reasons – English shareholders wanting to cash in, grounds and squads needing investment – principal interest has come from the US, where there are acquisitive financiers and a culture of buying sports teams as investments.

Here for a century, football’s stated culture, regulated by Football Association rules, was that shareholders and directors should be involved to serve clubs, not make money for themselves, but the FA surrendered that tradition from the 80s, just as the money was becoming huge.

Former English owners of these sporting havens, which we still call clubs, then made fortunes selling shares they held for decades. Martin Edwards and family banked £91m selling United and David Moores £90m for the heirloom of his Liverpool stake; Doug Ellis earned £20m for his Villa shares, with longstanding Arsenal owners greatly cashing in from selling to Stan Kroenke, with David Dein banking £75m from Alisher Usmanov.

The US owners’ aim is to replicate the medium-to-long term holding of US sports franchises, making money on the value of the clubs increasing, from TV, sponsorships, ticket prices and supporter-consumerism. Sports teams are cash businesses too, so owners can also make money as they go along; Arsenal now pay Kroenke’s company, KSE, £3m annually for services described as consultancy and advice.

The Glazers’ approach has famously been the most raw: they put up only £272m of their own money out of £790m paid for United, then loaded their £518m borrowings on to the club to repay. This leveraged takeover, orchestrated by Ed Woodward when he was at the merchant bank JP Morgan, has since cost the club more than £700m in interest and fees, and the debt is still £411m gross.

Woodward, since appointed by the family to run the actual football club, is still struggling with the post-Sir Alex Ferguson succession but the Glazers have made fortunes nevertheless. They made £75m selling shares when they re-registered the club in the Cayman Islands and floated it on the New York stock exchange in 2012, another $200m (£134m) from a sale in August 2014, then Edward Glazer made around £29m that December selling more. This year United announced an annual dividend which adds up to £15m a year for the family.

They remain the 90% owner of United, valued at $3.1bn in May by the US magazine Forbes, which said: “No team on the planet has figured out how to make money from its brand like the Red Devils.”

The increase in Premier League TV deals, incrementally growing awareness of soccer in the US, and the league’s cost controls aimed at stemming wages, have prompted the latest interest – yet further takeovers have been slow. The Bournemouth investment, whose details the club has not disclosed, and the Crystal Palace deal, in which 18% of new shares were issued each to Joshua Harris and David Blitzer for an initial £50m, according to Palace, were the first to complete since Shahid Khan bought Fulham in 2013. West Bromwich Albion, Villa and Everton have been publicly for sale, and others open to offers, yet not concluded deals.

Some involved say a key deterrent is relegation, the time-honoured basis of the football pyramid which does not exist in US sports. Khan, relegated with Fulham, Randy Lerner with Villa and Ellis Short at Sunderland, both struggling despite spending millions, are cautionary precedents.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: December 24, 2015, 12:39:59 AM »
Jordanian billionaire Hasan Abdullah Ismaik considering buying Premier League or Championship club
By Jason Burt, Chief Football Correspondent, The Telegraph

A Jordanian billionaire is considering buying a club in the Premier League or Championship. Hasan Abdullah Ismaik told Telegraph Sport that football in England was “incredible” and that he was actively looking at a number of options.

Ismaik is currently the majority shareholder of the German club 1860 Munich but has grown frustrated by the rules which, he said, prevent him from assuming full control and investing the way he wants to gain promotion to the Bundesliga.

“The difficulties we are facing in Germany means we are kind of regretting not coming to the UK and makes us think that we should now come and buy a club here and invest in a country where the football is so entertaining and so passionate,” Ismaik explained.

Regarded as the third youngest billionaire in the Middle East at just 39, Ismaik acquired a 60 per cent stake in 1860 Munich in 2011 - when he also looked at buying into English football – but despite being the chairman and pumping money in, in the form of loans, he cannot launch a complete takeover because of the statutes of the DFL (German football league) and its 50+1 rule.

It means that Ismaik, who became the first Arabic chairman in German football, can only have a maximum of 49 per cent of the voting rights with the other rights held by other shareholders and elected supporters.

1860 Munich are the second club in the German city, after Bayern Munich, of course, and also play at the Allianz Arena although they sold their stake in the stadium before Ismaik’s involvement.

They are in the German second division with Ismaik frustrated that they have not gained promotion and believing they have been held back by squabbling and internal conflict at the club.

His annoyance means that he is now considering switching his attention to English football.

“English football is full of big teams with big histories and with an incredible league,” Ismaik said.

“There are also rules that encourage and help investors and give them a hand so that they can make their clubs successful.

“It might take a month it might take three years but we are considering investing in a club in England. When you think about football you think about the emotion and the culture of football, the fans and the experience of being at the stadium and having fun - and the history also. Being somewhere that has all those things is something we want. So we are thinking about everything.”

Ismaik started his career as a property entrepreneur and is the founder and chairman of HAMG Group, an Abu Dhabi-based group of investment companies, whose portfolio covers energy, transport, construction, retail and hotels.

Ismaik added: “We want to be somewhere also where we are given more respect. We want to own a club where we can move forward, somewhere that wants to grow and improve and be successful. But, most of all, when you invest in football you want to have fun.”

Ismaik’s declared interest is bound to alert a number of clubs in the Premier League and also the Championship who are either actively up for sale or who would want to attract fresh ownership.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: December 26, 2015, 10:12:24 AM »
van Gaal wukkin hard to prove Ed Woodward a liar. The hammer and de axe are in free fall, getting perilously close to the Dutch man's neck.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: December 30, 2015, 01:21:59 AM »
Premier League nationalities: Watford most diverse team
By Adam Smith, SkySports

Watford have only used two English players this season - fewer than any other Premier League club.

Quique Sanchez Flores has fielded 21 players this term and a league-high 18 different nationalities but Troy Deeney and Ben Watson are the only Englishmen to feature for them. That means just 9.5 per cent of players used by Watford in this campaign have been English.

Chelsea have used the second-fewest number of Englishmen, with only John Terry, Gary Cahill and Ruben Loftus-Cheek turning out for the defending champions so far this season.

Meanwhile, Arsenal have used four Englishmen - Calum Chambers, Kieran Gibbs, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Theo Walcott - but they have accounted for just over 10 per cent of the team's total minutes played.

Most English

Bournemouth have used the highest proportion of English players (59.1 per cent) - fielding 13 Englishmen - while Norwich City (52.4 per cent) and Crystal Palace (50 per cent) are second and third on the list, having fielded 11 and 12 English players respectively.

Welsh club Swansea City have used a higher proportion of English players than 12 other Premier League clubs - 36.8 per cent of the players used by Garry Monk this term have been English. However, in terms of actual minutes played, the English Swans account for just 24 per cent of the total time clocked by Swansea players.

League of nations

In total, 141 English players have been used in the Premier League this season, which represents nearly a third of all players used.

Players affiliated to France are the second-most used nationality (30 players in total), representing seven per cent of the Premier League's used players, followed by Spain (29), Netherlands (19), Republic of Ireland (18), Belgium (16), Argentina (15), Wales (14), Scotland (13) and Brazil (11).

Your team's players...

Watford

As well as English duo Troy Deeney and Ben Watson, the Hornets also have a Netherlands pair in Nathan Ake and Steven Berghuis, as well as a Swiss partnership in Almen Abdi and Valon Behrami.

Every other Watford player this season has been the sole representative for his home country: Adlene Guedioura (Algeria), Sebastian Prodl (Austria), Heurelho Gomes (Brazil), Allan Nyom (Cameroon), Victor Ibarbo (Colombia), Juan Carlos Paredes (Ecuador), Etienne Capoue (France), Jose Holebas (Greece), Alessandro Diamanti (Italy), Miguel Layun (Mexico), Odion Ighalo (Nigeria), Craig Cathcart (Northern Ireland), Ikechi Anya (Scotland), Jurado (Spain) and Miguel Britos (Uruguay). 

Leicester City

Leicester have played 20 different players this season, of which six were English: Marc Albrighton, Daniel Drinkwater, Nathan Dyer, Joe Dodoo, Danny Simpson and the Premier Leage's top goalscorer Jamie Vardy.

Every other Leicester player has been affiliated to a different country - with 15 nationalities represented in total.

Southampton

Southampton have fielded 22 players this season, with 13 representing different nationalities. Ryan Bertrand, Steven Caulker, Kelvin Davis, Jay Rodriguez, Matt Targett and James Ward-Prowse comprise the Saints' English group.

Ronald Koeman has also played Netherlands trio Jordy Clasie, Maarten Stekelenburg and Virgil van Dijk.

The Saints also have a Spanish duo in Juanmi and Oriol Romeu, along with Portuguese pair Cedric Soares and Jose Fonte.

Crystal Palace

Palace have fielded 24 different players this season, along with Manchester United, Newcastle and West Ham - the highest in the Premier League so far.

Half of the Eagles' fielded players have been affiliated to different nationalities, while the other half are English: Patrick Bamford, Fraizer Campbell, Scott Dann, Dwight Gayle, Martin Kelly, Alex McCarthy, Jordon Mutch, Jason Puncheon, Joel Ward, Connor Wickham, Wilfried Zaha and the since-departed Glenn Murray.

Alan Pardew has also used two Welsh players in Wayne Hennessey and Joe Ledley.

Newcastle

The Magpies have used three nationality quintets this season, from England, France and the Netherlands. The English representation includes Rolando Aarons, Jack Colback, Jamaal Lascelles, Steven Taylor and Ivan Toney.

Gini Wijnaldum, injured goalkeeper Tim Krul, Daryl Janmaat, Siem de Jong and Vurnon Anita comprise the Dutch representation in Tyneside.

Steve McClaren's French contingent include Yoan Gouffran, Massadio Haidara, Gabriel Obertan, Moussa Sissoko and Florian Thauvin.

Sunderland

Sunderland have fielded seven English players this season - two more than their neighbours Newcastle.

The Black Cats have also played three pairs of fellow countrymen, from Sweden, the Netherlands and France - with all other players coming from different countries.

Swansea

Along with Arsenal, Swansea have only played 19 different players this season - fewer than any other Premier League club.

The Swans have given seven English players a league run-out in 2015/16: Kyle Bartley, Leon Britton, Jack Cork, Nathan Dyer, Kyle Naughton, Wayne Routledge and Jonjo Shelvey - every other player has been the sole representative for his country.

West Brom

West Brom boast a predominantly British playing squad, having fielded six English players, three Northern Irishmen, two Scotsmen and two Welshmen this season.

West Ham

West Ham have four national pairs: the in-form Manuel Lanzini and Mauro Zarate from Argentina, Irish duo Josh Cullen and Darren Randolph, Spain's Adrian and Pedro Obiang, as well as Senegal pair Cheikhou Kouyate and Diafra Sakho.

Slaven Bilic has fielded nine English players this season, comprising more than a third of all West Ham players used so far: Michail Antonio, Andy Carroll, Aaron Cresswell, Matt Jarvis - who is now on loan at Norwich City - Carl Jenkinson, Mark Noble, the since-released Kevin Nolan, Reece Oxford and James Tomkins.

Aston Villa

Seven English players have appeared for Aston Villa this season: Gabriel Agbonlahor, Joleon Lescott, Micah Richards, Kieran Richardson, Scott Sinclair, Ashley Westwood and Jack Grealish - who committed his international future to England recently.

The Villans also have three Spanish players (Carles Gil, Jose Angel Crespo and Adama Traore), along with two French players (Jordan Amavi and Jordan Veretout).

Manchester United

Louis van Gaal has fielded eight English players so far this season, and used 24 different players - of which 11 nationalities have been represented. 

The Red Devils' English contingent includes Michael Carrick, Phil Jones, youngster Jesse Lingard, Wayne Rooney, injured Luke Shaw, Chris Smalling, James Wilson and Ashley Young.

Out of those players, excluding the since-departed Mexican Javier Hernandez, only three do not have a fellow countryman: Ecuador international Antonio Valencia, German Bastian Schweinsteiger and Italian Matteo Darmian.

Stoke City

Stoke have only played four Englishmen this season: Jack Butland, Peter Crouch, Glen Johnson and Steve Sidwell.

Mark Hughes has played an equal number of Irishmen in Stephen Ireland, Jonathan Walters, Glenn Whelan and Marc Wilson.

The Potters also have Spanish trio Bojan, Joselu and Marc Muniesa, along with Ibrahim Afellay, Erik Pieters and Marco van Ginkel from the Netherlands, and Scottish pair Charlie Adam and Phil Bardsley.

Chelsea

helsea have fielded a higher proportion of Brazilian (18.8 per cent) and Spanish (18.8 per cent) players than English (13.6 per cent) this season.

The Blues' pair of national quartets include Kenedy, Oscar, Ramires and Willian of Brazil, and Spain's Pedro, Cesc Fabregas, Diego Costa and Cesar Azpilicueta.

Gary Cahill, John Terry and youngster Ruben Loftus-Cheek are the only Englishmen to have clocked minutes on the pitch under Jose Mourhino this season.

Everton

Forty per cent of Everton's fielded players have been English this season, with eight appearing for the Toffees out of 20 different players.

Roberto Martinez has placed faith in Ross Barkley, Gareth Barry, John Stones, Aaron Lennon, Phil Jagielka, Brendan Galloway, Tom Cleverley and Tyias Browning.

Everton have also played Irish trio Seamus Coleman, Darron Gibson and James McCarthy, along with Belgian pair Romelu Lukaku and Kevin Mirallas.

Tottenham

Tottenham have given 10 Englishmen a run-out this season, suggesting that Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino is happy to build with homegrown talent.

England youngster Dele Alli, Eric Dier, Harry Kane, Tom Carroll, Ryan Mason, Alex Pritchard, Danny Rose, Andros Townsend, Kieran Trippier and Kyle Walker have all made appearances for the north London club this season.

Toby Alderweireld, Nacer Chadli, Mousa Dembele and Jan Vertonghen also comprise a Belgian quartet at White Hart Lane.

Bournemouth

Bournemouth have played a higher proportion of English players than any other Premier League club this season.

The south-coast club have fielded 13 English players this season, representing 59 per cent of all used players. Moreover, in terms of minutes played, Eddie Howe's side has been 64.7 per cent English.

The Cherries have also used French pair Sylvain Distin and Yann Kermorgant.

Liverpool

Jurgen Klopp inherited a team that has played nine Englishmen this season: Nathaniel Clyne, Jordan Henderson, Jordon Ibe, Adam Lallana, James Milner, along with an injury-hit group including Danny Ings, Jordan Rossiter, Joe Gomez and Daniel Sturridge.

The Reds also have Belgian trio Christian Benteke, Simon Mignolet and Divock Origi, along with a three-strong Brazilian group of Philippe Coutinho, Lucas Leiva and Roberto Firmino.

Manchester City

The biggest proportion of fielded players at City are Argentine (22.7 per cent) with Sergio Aguero, Martin Demichelis, Nicolas Otamendi, Pablo Zabeleta and Willy Caballero - with Brazilians Fernandinho and Fernando adding to the South American core.

Manuel Pellegrini has only used four Englishmen this season: Joe Hart, Fabian Delph, Raheem Sterling and Patrick Roberts.

City also have three French players (Samir Nasri, Bacary Sagna and Eliaquim Mangala) and two Belgians (Kevin De Bruyne and Vincent Kompany).

Arsenal

More than 26 per cent of Arsenal's used players have been French (Olivier Giroud, Laurent Koscielny, Francis Coquelin, Mathieu Debuchy and Mathieu Flamini), with English and Spanish players making up the joint second-highest proportion (both 21 per cent).

Four English players have played for the Gunners (Calum Chambers, Kieran Gibbs, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Theo Walcott), while Nacho Monreal, Santi Cazorla, Hector Bellerin and Mikel Arteta represent Arsenal's Spanish contingent.

German internationals Mesut Ozil and Per Mertesacker, along with Gabriel Paulista (Brazil), Alexis Sanchez (Chile), Petr Cech (Czech Republic) and Aaron Ramsey (Wales) complete the Gunners' list of used players in 2015/16.

In terms of nationalities used, Wenger has only fielded eight in the league, which - along with Norwich City - is the fewest used by a Premier League club so far this season.

Norwich

Having only used eight different nationalities so far this season, Alex Neil has also opted for a British core - fielding 11 Englishmen, three Scots, two Irish and one Northern Irishman.

The only other players to have appeared for Norwich City this season are Sebastien Bassong (Cameroon), Dieumerci Mbokani (Congo DR), Alexander Tettey (Norway) and Martin Olsson (Sweden).

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1725 on: January 23, 2016, 12:54:11 PM »
A classic example of the long ball working: West Ham releasing a long ball (via Collins) to ease the barrage they were facing from City ... City concede a throw-in off that ball; Antonio's long throw-in results in Enner Valencia scoring (having bested Otamendi) and Otamendi mouthing hijo de puta ... puta madre:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 11:48:37 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: January 23, 2016, 09:12:29 PM »
Valencia read the ball before Otamendi. That was weak play.
What about delle ali's goal.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: January 23, 2016, 10:17:21 PM »
Payet and Hart had a couple supreme moments also.

Dele Ali's goal was special. Worthy of a Spurs player. Reminds me of Heinze's WC scorcher v. Nigeria.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: February 06, 2016, 08:16:21 AM »
The Blue Moon eh rising, but maybe one of the stars will come to the rescue.  Leicester running rampant at decisive moments. Not much likelihood of City rescuing a point.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: February 06, 2016, 11:31:23 AM »
I can't doubt LC any more nah. Big result.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: March 01, 2016, 05:49:11 PM »
It's March 1 and Chelsea is bearing down on a Europa spot!!!

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: March 02, 2016, 07:35:18 PM »
So Leicester City slipped up yesterday and Arsneal, Tottenham and Man City all failed to close the gap....like it's meant to be for LC this year.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: March 02, 2016, 07:54:46 PM »
So Leicester City slipped up yesterday and Arsneal, Tottenham and Man City all failed to close the gap....like it's meant to be for LC this year.

But not United.  ;D

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: March 02, 2016, 11:00:01 PM »

But not United.  ;D
Next year :devil:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: March 02, 2016, 11:15:59 PM »

But not United.  ;D
Next year :devil:

Next matchday: Spurs face Arsenal at White Hart Lane (derby!!!); City have Villa (should be a foregone conclusion); Leicester battle Watford, and United have to deal with Albion who are in good nick although porous in defence. Week after WBA have Arsenal.

(Ah not a United fan doh).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 11:28:37 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Arsenal v Everton
« Reply #1735 on: March 19, 2016, 07:26:04 AM »
0 entertainment value..after 35 mins not waiting for result.. Can't even get 1 beat outta Sanchez, pure 2 touch...no good for me, when ah doh care who win.  Click

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Arsenal v Everton
« Reply #1736 on: March 19, 2016, 10:55:18 AM »
Che v Whu much more entertaining.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: March 20, 2016, 02:19:26 PM »
Missed the Manchester derby. Good game?

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: March 20, 2016, 03:22:30 PM »
To be fair City dominated most of the game controlling most of the possession having 26 shots. The sad thing was only 3 were on target as opposed to ManU having 5 shots with 4 on target. It wasn't end to end action by no means, City allowed this one to slip.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: March 20, 2016, 03:30:00 PM »
To be fair City dominated most of the game controlling most of the possession having 26 shots. The sad thing was only 3 were on target as opposed to ManU having 5 shots with 4 on target. It wasn't end to end action by no means, City allowed this one to slip.

And goal by "we boi" Rashford!

Possession at 55/45 but the completed passes were 373 to 301.

~70 more completed passes with that 10% possession margin suggests another/additional problem.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 03:42:22 PM by asylumseeker »

1]; } ?>