April 18, 2024, 10:53:32 AM

Author Topic: With Beenhakker is TnT a top 20 side?  (Read 2522 times)

Offline Maradona7

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
With Beenhakker is TnT a top 20 side?
« on: June 22, 2005, 06:34:04 PM »
Seeing that Mexico stop the big Brazilains could TnT put up a fight against the Soccer Powers of the World. I think so do you?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: With Beenhakker is TnT a top 20 side?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 07:16:05 PM »
To be a top 20 side, yuh need consistency which is something we haven't had in ages. You need depth and you need all of the national teams to be on the same page. We've only played 2 meaningful games under Beenhakker so it's too early to tell. Even though our standard of play (as a team) has risen, you cannot simply extrapolate that to mean that it will continue to rise over the long haul. At some point you will hit a brick wall and get diminishing returns. There is no doubt that the signs are encouraging, but we need more than Beenhakker to become a top 20 side. He may have what it takes, but do our players and we as a nation have what it takes?

Note: We came close to being a top 20 side in 2001 when we were ranked of 25th in June of that year.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 07:19:10 PM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 07:16:51 PM »
dont get ahead of yourself!  :D
Hart for president

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 08:07:20 PM »
Consistency requires class, class we don't have immediately. I trust that new development program implemented with bear fruit.Five to Seven years

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 09:24:06 PM »
all we need is to keep this coach or have a coach of similar class and we makin d nex world cup for sure
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 10:13:37 PM »
babysteps

Lets just hope we have a good Gold Cup tournament......continue to regain lost respect, lost confidence.

The T&T public is warming up to the team and a good tournament could really make the remaining WCQ games the most exciting time in T&T football for a long time.

All of this will make Lincoln's job of getting the youth programs in place that much easier.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 11:16:06 PM »
Top 20? Nah, morre like top 10.

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 05:28:48 AM »
AsK me that Question after the Gold cup. Firstly, Beenie will have the men for a week. Secondly by now he would have seen most of the core players and thirdly the players confidence is very high.
This Gold Cup is a bench marker for where we are, and a good dress rehersal for Germany.
What did Bertille say- Building one brick at a time. Good philosophy, his problem was that he did not know which brick to place where.

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 08:44:37 AM »
winning one game, and have a good losing showing in another doh quite get yuh in the top 20. we would have to start a serious winning streak to accomplish that.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 09:01:49 AM »
To be a top 20 side, yuh need consistency which is something we haven't had in ages. You need depth and you need all of the national teams to be on the same page. We've only played 2 meaningful games under Beenhakker so it's too early to tell. Even though our standard of play (as a team) has risen, you cannot simply extrapolate that to mean that it will continue to rise over the long haul. At some point you will hit a brick wall and get diminishing returns. There is no doubt that the signs are encouraging, but we need more than Beenhakker to become a top 20 side. He may have what it takes, but do our players and we as a nation have what it takes?

Note: We came close to being a top 20 side in 2001 when we were ranked of 25th in June of that year.

Tallman for me the ranking system is flawed and I for one do not even consider it. I mean right now Iran ranked higher than Germany. Please! Costa Rica ranked 24??? No disrespect to country or FIFA , but some teams playing the likes of Brazil, Argentina Holland, England etc on a consistent basis, while other teams seldom play or hardly play any real quality games.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 09:24:36 AM »
Tallman for me the ranking system is flawed and I for one do not even consider it. I mean right now Iran ranked higher than Germany. Please! Costa Rica ranked 24??? No disrespect to country or FIFA , but some teams playing the likes of Brazil, Argentina Holland, England etc on a consistent basis, while other teams seldom play or hardly play any real quality games.

You are quite right, but it's the only measuring stick we have right now until dey devise some other means of ranking.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2005, 09:34:20 AM »

You are quite right, but it's the only measuring stick we have right now until dey devise some other means of ranking.

Well for me the best ranking is how your are playing and the results on the day  ;D ;D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

1]; } ?>