April 28, 2024, 09:02:39 PM

Author Topic: Look where our Former Coach Ian Porterfield is now  (Read 2469 times)

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Look where our Former Coach Ian Porterfield is now
« on: May 13, 2005, 09:07:39 AM »
Gents,

All the bad talk some forumites have for him, we win 1 game and draw another vs Mexico, we beat Canada twice for the first time ever in History. We slap goal like wind on Panama and we all thought we was going Korea.....oh well!

http://www.soccerphile.com/soccerphile/news/korean-soccer/ian-porterfield.html

« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 09:27:42 AM by Tallman »

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Look where our Former Coach is now
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 12:09:03 PM »
Whatever you think about the man and his achievements with T&T, you can't say he is bitter towards the country. Did'nt have a bad thing to say about us.  Must have got some sweeeeeet loving (or loads ah free booze) will he was here!

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 12:28:04 PM »
he always use to look kinda sweaty for a coach

i happy for him
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline BigToe

• Hero Warrior
  • Laaaaard, ah cyan take it no more
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 01:34:51 PM »
In my humble opinion, he may not be a great coach. But he was a good coach for T&T. The two positive results against Mexico is testament to that.

Offline Hyperhot J

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 02:25:09 PM »
   Look at these quote in particular:

Soccerphile: What did you know of Korea and Korean football before you came here?

Ian Porterfield: The Far East was an area that I hadn't been to too much. My aim was to come to Korea for the World Cup with Trinidad and Tobago. The Trinidad and Tobago National Team did so well for such a small country of 1.3 million. We went through all the qualifying games, then went through the 1st round, 2nd round, all the individual games until the last, last bit. We were just a little bit short and missed the boat. It'd always been a dream that I'd had and I'd missed out going to the World Cup by one point with Zambia and I just missed out again with Trinidad and Tobago to come to Korea and I haven't been disappointed.

Well we were severely beaten and thrown out to last place in the final 6 and we played well our last 2 games a 1-0 win at Honduras and a 0-0 draw at home to the US thanks to THE BEST COACH we could EVER HAVE - Rene Simoes!! (Of course we could not afford to pay him sadly). He failed in the Hex. Don't know what he means above, but yes in the semi-final stage we were great!

Soccerphile: But it's a big gamble to leave school at 16 to concentrate on football in Korea.
Ian Porterfield: That's right but why? Sixty years ago, Korea was as underdeveloped as most African countries. Argue? It's true. Now, it's one of the most forward-looking economies in the world. Education is very important but when you analyze the way football goes in this part of the world-it doesn't work.
Kids are studying all hours of the day here - morning, noon and night. Other countries have education as well as it can be done. Football and education can go together. The KFA should look at, a perfect example. Now France is developing more players than England, Spain etc. The national team won the World Cup and the Euro Championships with a population not much bigger than Korea. It can be done and I tried to encourage this when I was involved in African football. In fact before I left Trinidad and Tobago, I wanted to lay a structure to develop football straight through and it would have worked.

A structure hmmm?? Of course Rene Simoes had a structure (Germany 2006 plan) but lets not talk about our failure to keep him.

Soccerphile: Would you be interested in the Korean National job?
Ian Porterfield: I love my job at Busan, I want to make a go of this club. I loved being a National coach and had great satisfaction from taking Zambia to 18th in the world from sixty something. I took Trinidad and Tobago from sixty something to 24th/25th. I am very proud of my achievements. The future - who knows? What will be, will be. I am ambitious, my life is football, my love is football. I am committed to Busan I'cons but tomorrow's another day.

There may be a few more Korean tomorrows as there have been suggestions of a contract extension. For enthusiasm alone, the manager of Busan deserves some success and who knows? He could achieve his dream at managing in the World Cup with Korea.

Well he is in fact true, on the day we played the USA in the US in June 2001, we were ranked I think 24th in the world by FIFA. Losing 2-0 by 2 dotish give away goals, 1 by Marvin Andrews and I cyah remember the other.

I am back!! Hyperhot J aka Jason.
"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power." 

Cassius told Brutus in Julius Caesar by Shakespeare

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Long time no hear man
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 07:23:40 PM »
   Look at these quote in particular:

Soccerphile: What did you know of Korea and Korean football before you came here?

Ian Porterfield: The Far East was an area that I hadn't been to too much. My aim was to come to Korea for the World Cup with Trinidad and Tobago. The Trinidad and Tobago National Team did so well for such a small country of 1.3 million. We went through all the qualifying games, then went through the 1st round, 2nd round, all the individual games until the last, last bit. We were just a little bit short and missed the boat. It'd always been a dream that I'd had and I'd missed out going to the World Cup by one point with Zambia and I just missed out again with Trinidad and Tobago to come to Korea and I haven't been disappointed.

Well we were severely beaten and thrown out to last place in the final 6 and we played well our last 2 games a 1-0 win at Honduras and a 0-0 draw at home to the US thanks to THE BEST COACH we could EVER HAVE - Rene Simoes!! (Of course we could not afford to pay him sadly). He failed in the Hex. Don't know what he means above, but yes in the semi-final stage we were great!

Soccerphile: But it's a big gamble to leave school at 16 to concentrate on football in Korea.
Ian Porterfield: That's right but why? Sixty years ago, Korea was as underdeveloped as most African countries. Argue? It's true. Now, it's one of the most forward-looking economies in the world. Education is very important but when you analyze the way football goes in this part of the world-it doesn't work.
Kids are studying all hours of the day here - morning, noon and night. Other countries have education as well as it can be done. Football and education can go together. The KFA should look at, a perfect example. Now France is developing more players than England, Spain etc. The national team won the World Cup and the Euro Championships with a population not much bigger than Korea. It can be done and I tried to encourage this when I was involved in African football. In fact before I left Trinidad and Tobago, I wanted to lay a structure to develop football straight through and it would have worked.

A structure hmmm?? Of course Rene Simoes had a structure (Germany 2006 plan) but lets not talk about our failure to keep him.

Soccerphile: Would you be interested in the Korean National job?
Ian Porterfield: I love my job at Busan, I want to make a go of this club. I loved being a National coach and had great satisfaction from taking Zambia to 18th in the world from sixty something. I took Trinidad and Tobago from sixty something to 24th/25th. I am very proud of my achievements. The future - who knows? What will be, will be. I am ambitious, my life is football, my love is football. I am committed to Busan I'cons but tomorrow's another day.

There may be a few more Korean tomorrows as there have been suggestions of a contract extension. For enthusiasm alone, the manager of Busan deserves some success and who knows? He could achieve his dream at managing in the World Cup with Korea.

Well he is in fact true, on the day we played the USA in the US in June 2001, we were ranked I think 24th in the world by FIFA. Losing 2-0 by 2 dotish give away goals, 1 by Marvin Andrews and I cyah remember the other.

I am back!! Hyperhot J aka Jason.

Hope all is well!

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
Ian Porterfield with South Korea club - He big up Trinidad in his interview
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 09:18:23 AM »
Touches, like me and you on the same website at the same time boy.  ;D
I had post the exact same news and but like the moderators put me and yours under the same headline because it was about Ian Poterfield. I happy for the man. Wish all the best!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 09:52:04 AM by kingman »

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Look where our Former Coach Ian Porterfield is now
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 10:10:58 AM »
Look how fast people forget that is Porterfield that converted Dennis Lawrence from a centrer midfielder to a first stopper.

Look what dividends that paid over the long term...    ;)

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 10:15:34 AM »
Whatever you think about the man and his achievements with T&T, you can't say he is bitter towards the country. Did'nt have a bad thing to say about us. Must have got some sweeeeeet loving (or loads ah free booze) will he was here!

sweet loving is ah understatement cause he marrid ah trini woman  :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Porterfield named new Armenia coach
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 10:14:07 AM »
in today's installment of "Where are they now?"

interestingly, armenia in the same Euro 2008 qualifying group as Beenhakker's Poland side.

YEREVAN, Aug 16 (Reuters) - Britain's Ian Porterfield has been named new Armenia coach, the country's soccer federation said on Wednesday.

The 60-year-old Scotsman replaces Dutchman Henk Wisman, who was fired four months ago following a string of poor results.

Porterfield, who played for Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday and Raith Rovers, has extensive coaching experience at club and international level.

He coached various English and Scottish clubs, including Sheffield Wednesday, Aberdeen and Chelsea as well as the national teams of Zambia, Zimbabwe and Trinidad & Tobago.

Armenia begin their Euro 2008 qualifying campaign at home to Belgium on Sept. 6.

Porterfield, who arrived in Armenia on Tuesday, said that though there was little time before their first match all Armenia's top players had been called up.

"There is never enough time in football. The work will start immediately. I hope it will be successful," Porterfield told a news conference.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 10:26:48 AM by Andre »

Offline marcpurcell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Porterfield named new Armenia coach
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 10:52:42 AM »
I wonder if Jack get him that job. The man move from Joe Public to Trinidad national coach without busting a sweat.
Born in Montreal
Living in Toronto
But still a Barataria boy at heart

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 11:08:54 PM »
I wonder if Jack get him that job. The man move from Joe Public to Trinidad national coach without busting a sweat.
That was back when Joe Public was basically the national team.

Offline doublet750

• Hero Warrior
  • mi nuevo nombre es dinho mi vida es joga bonito
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 12:05:35 AM »
fellas its best we remeber poerterfield for what he was an OK coach....got us through the eraly qualifying stage with BIG SCOREs.....11-0 netherland antilles in teh stadium..dennis lawrence first goal of that world cup campiagn world wide......(imaigne that now he score d goal that got us into the world cup)....what ian porterfield couldnt do was motivate the boys against the big guns in teh hex...ah la BSC

1]; } ?>