April 27, 2024, 06:22:33 AM

Author Topic: Glenavon signs Atiba Charles  (Read 12456 times)

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Glenavon signs Atiba Charles
« on: August 21, 2006, 09:36:51 AM »
From the Caribbean to Lurgan.
By: Gordon Hanna (sundaylife.co.uk).

Trinidad and Tobago star is set to join the Lurgan Blues.
Glenavon last night swooped to make a sensational signing - Trinidad and Tobago's World Cup defender David Atiba Charles. The move will be completed tomorrow after the IFA meet for final consultations with the Home Office about a work permit.
But no-one at Lurgan expects any hitches after weeks of exhausting research.
The 24 year-old who has started 19 of his 20 games for his country - the most recent only last week in Japan - is now expected to make his debut against Linfield at Windsor Park on Friday night.
Home Office officials in London have not raised any objections to the towering centre-half joining the Irish League.
Atiba, as he prefers to be known, was a member of Leo Beenhakker's World Cup squad in Germany but was kept on the bench by Rangers star Marvin Andrews.
He stands well over six feet, is aggressive, pacey and not surprisingly very strong in the air.
He arrives at Mourneview Park on the recommendation of skipper Aaron Black who played along side him in the Caribbean with W Connection.
Atiba made his debut against Cuba three years ago and played in three World Cup qualifiers.
Charles battled his way into the international set-up through his consistent and outstanding performances in Trinidad's professional league.
He began his career with Point Fortin Civic Centre but has been the mainstay in defence for W Connections for the past four years.
Delighted Colin Malone said: "It was too good an opportunity to miss.
"We have signed him on a full-time contract the only condition being that we won't stand in his way if he gets a chance to play in England or Scotland.
"Atiba has had one trial with a Premiership side and while things didn't work out he still harbours ambitions to play full-time in England.
"But under the regulations he could only sign for a team in a Premier Division and that's where we come in."
Amazingly Charles turned down the offer of a more lucrative contract in Saudi Arabia worth 150,000 US dollars because he feels the Irish League is a better shop window.
Malone added: "It has been an exhausting experience, a complex business but our company secretary Harry Cherry has worked long and hard to get things sorted out and to this stage.
"I must also say Atiba's club in Trinidad, the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation, the Home Office in London and the IFA have all been very co-operative."
Atiba said: "Hopefully this is the first step towards reaching my goal of a full-time career in England.
"I joined Glenavon because of my connections with Aaron Black and I'm looking forward to playing for them.
"I could have joined other clubs in other countries but I felt the Irish League would provide me with a better shop window.
"I don't know much about clubs here but Aaron has assured me football is of a decent standard where scouts are always on the lookout."
Atiba is very keen to play in England or Scotland where many of his World Cup mates have already made their mark.
Guys like Shaka Hislop who was with West Ham before moving to America, Ian Cox, Kelvin Jack and Brent Sancho of Gillingham, Dennis Lawrence (Swansea), Chris Birchall (Coventry City) and Carlos Edwards (Luton Town).
Several others are featuring in Scotland - Marvin Andrews (Rangers), Russell Latapy of Falkirk, Collin Samuel (Dundee Utd) and Jason Scotland (St Johnstone).

For all those who eh hear of this club, which is prob de whole board and myself, Glenavon FC is a Northern Ireland club playing in de Irish Premier League.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 09:59:24 AM by Flex »

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Glenavon signs Atiba Charles
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 09:41:25 AM »
But who is his agent boy ? well i wish you the best of luck atiba
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 09:46:53 AM »
ireland have ah premier league?

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 09:51:34 AM »

Amazingly Charles turned down the offer of a more lucrative contract in Saudi Arabia worth 150,000 US dollars because he feels the Irish League is a better shop window.

is that 150,000 US a year?

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 09:54:24 AM »
well atleast i see what his thinking iis.he is trying to make himself more marketable
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline jaws

• DC/MD Warrior
  • Jr. Warrior
  • Arima massive!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 09:55:04 AM »
i did'nt kno de have a prem league myself........but say wha.....EXPOSURE is the name of de game for dem fellas.....

Good Luck Warrior...............we backin yuh!!
"Greatness is not one big thing being done: it's all the small things being done well"

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 09:55:25 AM »

well that's what it says in de article. I personally think playing in Saudia Arabia more competitive playing wise, but Atiba probably thinking he'll make himself more marketable staying close to Europe.

Offline Patterson

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 09:56:45 AM »
Is actually a northern ireland team.....after doing some research....finished 13th in de league last season out of 16 teams

well he in de shop window now i guess.....he'll be added to the trinis in action thread

their results in so far: FR - Friendly, CIS- CIS Cup
FR     Sat, 22nd Jul, 2006     Chimney Corner     Glenavon     W 2-1
FR    Sat, 29th Jul, 2006    Killyleagh    Glenavon    W 2-1
FR    Mon, 31st Jul, 2006    Banbridge Town    Glenavon    D 1-1
FR    Thu 3rd Aug, 2006    Rathfriland Rovers    Glenavon    L 1-3
FR    Sat, 5th Aug, 2006    Lurgan Celtic    Glenavon    D 2-2
CIS 1    Sat, 12th Aug, 2006    Lisburn Distillery    Glenavon    L 3-0
CIS 2    Sat, 19th Aug, 2006    Glenavon    Larne    L 0-2

de actual league kicks off against high flying Ballymena United on Sat, 23rd Sep, 2006      ;D     

last season's table:
Northern Ireland 2005/06

Irish Premier League

Final Table:

1.Linfield                  30  23    6   1    88-23   75  Champions
2.Glentoran              30  19    6   5    60-28   63
3.Portadown            30  16    6   8    56-36   54
4.Dungannon Swifts  30  13   10  7    61-41   50
5.Cliftonville              30  13    8   9   45-35   47
6.Newry City             30  12   9   9    45-35   45
7.Ballymena United    30  13   6  11   42-48   45
8.Lisburn Distillery      30  12   8  10   44-38   44
9.Coleraine               30  11   4  15   40-57   37
10.Limavady United   30   9    9  12   42-49   36
11.Loughgall             30   9   7  14   33-38   34
12.Larne                  30   7   9  14   42-63   30
13.Glenavon         30   7   9  14   35-59   30
14.Armagh City         30   9   3  18   38-69   30
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
15.Institute             30   6   8  16    37-58  26  Relegation Playoff
-----------------------------------------------
16.Ards                  30   6   2   22   31-62  20  Relegated

http://www.glenavonfc.com/
http://www.rsssf.com/tablesn/nil06.html
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 10:08:19 AM by Patterson »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 10:19:17 AM »
Who is Arron Black and how was he connected to W-Connection ?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 10:24:34 AM »
Who is Aaron Black and how was he connected to W-Connection ?

Aaron Black is a defender who used tuh play wit W-Connection. Latapy had help him get dat contract.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 10:29:09 AM »
yes atiba and other players  desperate to go to england yet  it have a next one in trinidad who refuse to go on trials and thinking about quiting football i tell you
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline trini supporter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 10:30:25 AM »
So  Atiba Charles was the defender on trial at Middlesborough?

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 10:32:48 AM »
the league charles join: http://irishpremierleague.com/ (northern ireland)

the better known league in ireland: http://www.leagueofireland.com/ (republic of ireland)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 10:34:18 AM »

well that's what it says in de article. I personally think playing in Saudia Arabia more competitive playing wise, but Atiba probably thinking he'll make himself more marketable staying close to Europe.

I occasionally see recap of the Irish league matches, or scores on Sky Net...never anything on the Saudi league, or Asian leagues for that matter, unless it's an international (or the J-League).  That being the case, more consistent exposure might be had in Ireland rather than Saudi Arabia.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2006, 10:35:52 AM »
the league charles join: http://irishpremierleague.com/ (northern ireland)

the better known league in ireland: http://www.leagueofireland.com/ (republic of ireland)

Maybe it's the ROI games that I see on Sky Net

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2006, 10:50:03 AM »
Is Atiba Charles . the replacement for Andrews.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 11:03:11 AM »
Atiba, as he prefers to be known, was a member of Leo Beenhakker's World Cup squad in Germany but was kept on the bench by Rangers star Marvin Andrews.

Oh really?
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006, 11:08:41 AM »
The move will be completed tomorrow after the IFA meet for final consultations with the Home Office about a work permit.
But no-one at Lurgan expects any hitches after weeks of exhausting research.
The 24 year-old who has started 19 of his 20 games for his country - the most recent only last week in Japan - is now expected to make his debut against Linfield at Windsor Park on Friday night.
Home Office officials in London have not raised any objections to the towering centre-half joining the Irish League.

So ah wonder how he going and get dat work permit? One of de criteria is "A player must have played for his country in at least 75% of its competitive 'A' team matches he was available for selection, during the two years preceding the date of the application". Atiba does not meet dat criteria. Maybe dey have ah different interpretation. From Aug 2004 - Aug 2006 T&T has played 31 competitive 'A' team matches (which I assume only refer to tournament matches and World Cup Qualifiers) and Atiba has only played in 8 of them, which comes to 26%. If international friendies are included then he would have played 17 out 49 which is 35%.

Also, he has started 14 of 20 games fuh T&T, NOT 19.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 11:14:28 AM »
what was the transfer fee?

and he needs a new agent.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 11:16:18 AM by supporter »
Hart for president

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 11:15:41 AM »
I feel they planning to refer to this areticle as evidence in the application.
"doh mind them FIFA stats man, yuh eh see this sundaylife article?"
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2006, 11:16:07 AM »
So  Atiba Charles was the defender on trial at Middlesborough?

nope the defender was from Jab

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2006, 11:22:39 AM »

Playing in an Irish league  ??? ???

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2006, 11:24:09 AM »
Remember Avery John used to play in this league, It supposed to be a decent standard but not sure about the scouting thing.

not sure of any players that make the transition.

For Sure Charles can make the grade in the lower english divisions all he need is a good break.

he have just as much talent as any other TnT defender.
Just neeed more training and exposure which he should get It will do us good for 2010.

So good luck to him

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2006, 11:25:14 AM »

well it does have the upper hand in that aspect on Saudi Arabia

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2006, 11:32:15 AM »
I remember Holger Osieck  was told  a player dont bother  going  to that league ...he described it as a "backwash" league in Europe
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 11:38:55 AM by triniman »

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2006, 11:42:24 AM »

well it does have the upper hand in that aspect on Saudi Arabia

I could see a lot of player development there !!! This is just a case of an agent making a fast buck ...who cares about the player's future ... how old is this player , how many years does he have to play to get noticed ....how are managers going to evaluate him in the Irish league ...can he make the requirement in the first place ? hey who cares ...the agent gets his fee..and nonoe knows what that is , so everyone is happy right ???
WRONG !

Offline marcpurcell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2006, 11:46:32 AM »
Great! Another one of T&T's best going to a bush league team.

Jamaica sending players to Spain and we seem content with this bullshit arguement: "At least he will gain exposure!"

Fellas wake up. The exposure gained in Ireland and Scotland is very minimal if you don't play for Rangers, Celtic or Hearts much less teams in Ireland. For all I know he could play on the moon and gain more exposure.

Time to change agents. Thanks Berry and the rest time for the best.

Marc
Born in Montreal
Living in Toronto
But still a Barataria boy at heart

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2006, 11:52:48 AM »

Jamaica sending players to Spain and we seem content with this bullshit arguement: "At least he will gain exposure!"

Fellas wake up. The exposure gained in Ireland and Scotland is very minimal if you don't play for Rangers, Celtic or Hearts much less teams in Ireland. For all I know he could play on the moon and gain more exposure.

Marc

Seems like you should be he agent and get him ah look in dem better leagues. I am certain the agent as well as he would prefer that, but if they don't want yuh or willing to let yuh play for a lil team for free would you still go Spain etc ? If our best defenders cyar see dey way, who is guys who have been mostly on the bench ?

Offline sweetiepaper

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2006, 11:55:51 AM »

Who is Aaron Black? is he a a trini?
"Sweetiepaper does be all over de place"

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2006, 12:07:52 PM »

Marc

Oh gosh there is even the dutch leagues and league in Portugal . But remember Noray was saying you get more exposure in Lebanon and thier stand is lower

1]; } ?>