April 20, 2024, 01:35:08 AM

Author Topic: No hype for U-17 Women’s World Cup  (Read 2737 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
No hype for U-17 Women’s World Cup
« on: August 27, 2010, 05:41:37 AM »
No hype for U-17 Women’s World Cup
By Asha De Freitas-Moseley (T&T Guardian)

The Fifa Under-17 Women’s World Cup will be hosted in T&T from September 5-25. The stadia are being properly prepared for the tournament, transport, accommodations and catering arranged and all the other good stuff that goes along with hosting a tournament like this. Did you know that there is a T&T Spirit Mascot for these games? Know what it looks like? The mascot’s name is “Trinity.” I wonder how many locals even care. Millions of dollars will be spent to host this tournament here but do we care? Apparently not. If we did, there would be a better attempt to promote it and get as many people to attend the matches as possible. Even though I was still living in the USA when the Fifa U-17 Men’s World Cup was hosted here in 2001, I knew about it. It seems like the hype for that tournament was greater and the media did a better job of sensitising the general public.

As a woman and mother to a daughter I find this truly irritating. Automatically, some may think, “They are girls! How good could the games be?” My response is, “I guarantee they will be more impressive than some of our local men’s games!” Hey, I’m just being honest. The young women who will be participating in this tournament are the best in their respective countries, in their age bracket. By this age, the body of most females have reached full physical maturity, that is, weight, height, experiencing regular menstrual cycles, etc. There is no reason why these young ladies won’t impress their audience. As I said before, I find the visibility for this tournament has been minimal to this point in time. By now I had expected to see more advertisements and promotions to energise fans about the significance of this tournament and encourage game attendance. I’m not expecting the same anticipation as would accompany the Carnival celebrations but whatever PR work has been done is minimal in comparison.

What message does this send to our youngsters? That Carnival and party is what we are really about in this country? What about the message to our athletes? More specifically, what does it say about our regard for female football? I wonder what the vision is when the decision is made by our governing bodies to bid for the opportunity to host tournaments like this. Is it just to say that T&T was able to do it? That we are a country, wealthy enough to take on such a challenge? Or is some thought actually given to the fact that this can be a positive influence on the people, young and old, of T&T. Tournaments like this can be worked into developmental programmes for our youngsters as athletes with big hopes and dreams for themselves in their sport. Not just athletes from T&T but from the entire region should be targeted, lending itself to the added benefit of expanding sports tourism.

Over the last decade, T&T has had the opportunity to host several international tournaments and matches involving senior athletes and the hype and exposure surrounding these events has been much greater in comparison. It is easy to see why this would be the case, however, the value of these junior tournaments must not be misjudged. By glamourising tournaments that target the younger talent, our country encourages the juniors of the sport to establish short-term goals, which in itself is an exercise in molding young minds. These junior tournaments can be used as opportunities to teach our young men and women to be ambassadors and responsible role models for other younger athletes; to be able to deal with the stress of competing at the highest levels and so on.

Being the host nation for the tournament provides additional opportunities to expose and involve non-competing athletes in a unique way. I fully intend to take in some of the matches and when I do, I will be imagining my own daughter on the field one day, amongst such excellence. I hope by then this country would have developed a greater appreciation for the responsibility it has to its young minds. There’s a saying I believe to be true, “If you take care of the small things, the big things take care of themselves.”
We are a country blessed with a natural ability to athleticism but we do little to build on that talent. Instead we expect other countries to do it for us, while allowing opportunities to do it ourselves pass us by. Good luck Soca Princesses. We will be cheering for you!

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
Re: No hype for U-17 Women’s World Cup
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 06:39:09 AM »
Not even on this site which supposed to be home of the die hard football supporters.!!! :-X
sad.
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 07:06:17 AM »
Not even on this site which supposed to be home of the die hard football supporters.!!! :-X
sad.

the no hype trickling down. if the authorities doh care who is we? the media aint helping either
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 07:18:14 AM »
sad.

the no hype trickling down. if the authorities doh care who is we? the media aint helping either
       If we care enough to criticize everything the authorities,it means we care.I thought we was above them,why the no hype have to tricle down,come on we are the Soca Worriors. 

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 07:28:32 AM »
i don't understand why there is no hype...they shorten the schools football league (league is 1 round and not 2) to accomodate this world cup so i would have expected the under 17 girls to get a lot of attention.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 07:29:06 AM »
sad.

SORRY BUT MEH NAME IS GEOFFREY FOR THIS 1 i.e. BOYCOTT. After d 2001 WC in TNT a company name Concacaf was formed I guess after this one a company name cfu might emerge.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 07:56:11 AM »
 though i hear alluh boycotters... but allyuh like to complain about under preparedness of our teams..this is probably the best prepared team for a long time.  and because of that...and the fact they r a young...FEMALE team i think that support is really important.
 respect to the boycotters and i glad allyuh actually taking some sort of stand..but  not going games while only chatting about the problems IS AH WASTE AH TIME!!
go run against camps..or hush!!!
humor allyuh selves a bit.

GOOD LUCK princesses

Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 07:57:50 AM »
sad.

If we care enough to criticize everything the authorities,it means we care.I thought we was above them,why the no hype have to tricle down,come on we are the Soca Worriors. 

dread right now , people like they aint even know when this tournament starting.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 08:04:37 AM »
the girls have a dedicated following of maybe i would day 1000 plus fans mainly made up of highschoolers and frens and family of the girls.
 lately it is being advertised on radio especially red967 and its sister stations...
still not enough was done to inform the public and hype of the scene prior

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 08:06:17 AM »
though i hear alluh boycotters... but allyuh like to complain about under preparedness of our teams..this is probably the best prepared team for a long time.  and because of that...and the fact they r a young...FEMALE team i think that support is really important.
 respect to the boycotters and i glad allyuh actually taking some sort of stand..but  not going games while only chatting about the problems IS AH WASTE AH TIME!!

GOOD LUCK princesses

How we running against Camps when we eh even know when d election is? Provide me wit a date for the election I eh even askin 4 ah venue.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 08:07:00 AM »

GOOD LUCK princesses

d girls really doh deserve to play in an empty stadium. d population shud really go out an support d young ladies. ill take een a couple games in d hasely
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 08:57:05 AM »
I coulda swear I heard that tickets were being sold at a pace in the initial stages.... :-\ :-\  I sorry but I really eh interested in an U-17 Women's tournament.  Yes I know, ah supposed to support my sistren but eh, eh....I just not interested......

On the issue of the boycott, Polishe Hoe, if I knew I could defeat Camps or any one else for a position in the TTFF hierachy, I would do it in the morning......but like Weary says, we eh even know the date of the election.  And then I would have to become a lap dog of Jackula AND THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN!!....

Gimme a concrete plan for a takeover of the TTFF nah Polished Hoe other than "run against Camps....." and then we could talk.  Until then mih eh going no more games.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline trinipepper

• New Warrior
  • addin fire to the flame ...izatrini
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 09:49:42 AM »
It aint seem to be no hype because the media and marketing officials for the U-17 Womens's World Cup probaly are jokers just like the TTFA. I do hope they get the stands fill because it would be an embarrasment to the people of T&T. Seeing that they cut many of the primany school and women league games I hope many of the youth are given the opportunity to go see these games. I have not really heard about any ticket giveaways or contest like the hype of past world cup fever. As usual TTFA and the crew moving with a deadbeat sound. Honestly time for changes within the TTFA...Good luck to the girls, make us proud despite the lack of appreciation for the women game...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 11:44:58 AM »
Doh worry they go just implement d plan they use d last time asign countries 2 schools and get d chirren 2 come out and support d schools dey get assign.

I wonder if dey could find d plan?

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 12:46:55 PM »
I do not totally agree with this view. Not just because I am an avid supporter ....but I was able to get all the information that is out there about this tournament. The information is out there

...it is a matter of the response of the public.....

Not just because of the loss of support for the Soca Warriors but there are other issues on the minds of Trinis.
Crime, Flooding, World Cup Bonus Money, Pension, to name a few.

In addition to this I remember when we hosted the 2001 World Cup games and to the best of my recollection it was the same story. Ticket sales were not good...at first. Expecially in Tobago. Is only last minute that people started buying tickets. Imagine I did not purchase one single ticket but was able to get tickets for every game for me and my family. That is just how we does do things in TnT.

Forget what you hear in the media for as we know they are not the most reliable source of information.....ent Yours Truly ???
(sorry I just could not resist haging a dig at YT)

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 09:49:22 PM »
I do not totally agree with this view. Not just because I am an avid supporter ....but I was able to get all the information that is out there about this tournament. The information is out there

...it is a matter of the response of the public.....

Not just because of the loss of support for the Soca Warriors but there are other issues on the minds of Trinis.
Crime, Flooding, World Cup Bonus Money, Pension, to name a few.

In addition to this I remember when we hosted the 2001 World Cup games and to the best of my recollection it was the same story. Ticket sales were not good...at first. Expecially in Tobago. Is only last minute that people started buying tickets. Imagine I did not purchase one single ticket but was able to get tickets for every game for me and my family. That is just how we does do things in TnT.

Forget what you hear in the media for as we know they are not the most reliable source of information.....ent Yours Truly ???
(sorry I just could not resist haging a dig at YT)

I doh know if is just me, but I doh really get the impression that trinis on any kind of sports vibe at the moment.

Something brewing...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 11:30:46 PM »
Not sure how punishing the girls is going to change anything. Camps and Warner will be there after. We keep waiting for some big change to happen or for someone else to make it happen. Who here has really made an attempt to change the management of the TTFF?

In the meantime, does anyone know what time and at what venue the match against Ireland is today (Saturday)? I've heard that they are in Fr. Lauderdale. I'm a little further north and could make the drive if I find out.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2010, 06:22:37 AM »
the girls have a dedicated following of maybe i would day 1000 plus fans mainly made up of highschoolers and frens and family of the girls.
 lately it is being advertised on radio especially red967 and its sister stations...

post the link to the facebook page nah .. start publishing it all over. We could set something up on youtube too. 
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2010, 06:54:05 AM »

post the link to the facebook page nah .. start publishing it all over. We could set something up on youtube too. 

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Soca-Princesses-2010-U17-Womens-World-Cup/132770400070993
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2010, 07:44:19 AM »

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Soca-Princesses-2010-U17-Womens-World-Cup/132770400070993

who administering this other facebook page? It seems dated.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Trinidad-Tobago-SOCA-Princesses/271322510179
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2010, 11:42:38 AM »
I don't thinl the SWN family advocates boycotting this tournament. We have been clamouring for the ladies to get equal treatment like the men's. If the entire SWN family were to go to the tournament it would not be enough to fill the stadium. It seems that people home just fed up with flood, crime and whatever that they not paying attention to this tournament. Unfortunately TT is still set in the "buy the ticket at gameday mode", so we really can gauge excitement for this tournament. But I hope the over 50's and long time football fans  will crawl out and support our daughters. If I was home, as much as I have differences with TTFF, I would definitely support them.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2010, 12:55:50 PM »
I don't thinl the SWN family advocates boycotting this tournament. We have been clamouring for the ladies to get equal treatment like the men's. If the entire SWN family were to go to the tournament it would not be enough to fill the stadium. It seems that people home just fed up with flood, crime and whatever that they not paying attention to this tournament. Unfortunately TT is still set in the "buy the ticket at gameday mode", so we really can gauge excitement for this tournament. But I hope the over 50's and long time football fans  will crawl out and support our daughters. If I was home, as much as I have differences with TTFF, I would definitely support them.

Nah man people will go to the games.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

1]; } ?>