April 28, 2024, 05:13:33 PM

Author Topic: It ent only rock 'n' roll  (Read 11079 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
It ent only rock 'n' roll
« on: August 24, 2006, 09:52:12 AM »
It ent only rock ‘n’ roll
Lisa Allen-Agostini (Trinidad Guardian)

Gary Hector and Damon Homer trying a thing with a new music show in town on a Tuesday night. They calling it Anarchy on the Ave, and is a punk show.

The word “punk” might make it sound kind of bad; a punk is not somebody you want to have as a friend because he ent go be much of a friend, only punking out when you need him most. By definition, when you get “punk’d,” is because you get fool up real bad, like on that dotish American show on cable TV with Ashton Kutcher. A punk is a wimp, a sell-out, a waste-of-time man.

But you see, the fellas and them who have the show is the opposite of that. Is fight them fighting to make they own music scene.

When people say T&T music, they does think soca, calypso, chutney. But we music is more than that. Just as how you can’t say is only black people and Indians living in T&T, because you go be ignoring a whole set of other T&T people, is the same way you can’t say we music is only one thing. We have a bad, bad rock scene, from ever since.

Touchdown, from back in the day, and Orange Sky all now wrecking shots in the dance for all who want to listen.

But who listening? A set of young kids, you go say, with no ambition and no sense of what it is to belong to T&T. A set of punks.

If you did say that, you would be wrong. Is big people was in Nex Door Pub on Ariapita Avenue on Tuesday night listening to jointpop (that is Gary and Damon band). I see more people my age and up than people in their teens and 20s. And the people was patriots, the kind of people who want to support good local music, whatever the beat.

Jointpop ent on no jokey scene. They celebrate their tenth anniversary this year and have a “Bess of” album they let go, with a set of music their old fans know from long time. Big tunes, like Bashment to Halloween and Fame and Half-past Nine—but I ent go lie and say I expect the majority of all you to know them styles.

Jointpop and other bands like them does hardly get any airplay on the radio and they does struggle to get people to pay them any attention. In fact, jointpop break up last year because they was tired fighting up with a system that don’t welcome them.

Thank God, they didn’t break up for long. They come back on the scene and pick up where they leave off.

What I like about jointpop, aside from their bad, bad music, is how they not content to just sit down and cry about they not getting airplay and their CDs don’t sell. They getting up and get. The show on Tuesday was just one of a set of shows that Gary put on, starting with a series he had a few years aback name The Filth and the Fury.

Is long days now they make out the truth: that in this sweet T&T, unless is a Cepep scene you on, you have to do for yourself. Them ent no punks, even though they does play punk (a kind of hardish rock music).

Is true half their songs is about how tough it is in this place, and how you does dress up nice, nice with nowhere to go (like Gary say in a song name Nice Shirt some years aback), and how, meanwhile, the average man consuming all kind of foolish media products that making we sick (like he say in The New Fast Food).

And if you feel that because is rock music they playing they ent have no T&T spirit, you go be wrong there, too. Jointpop is the original T&T fans. Their colours is the national colours and they does usually have a T&T flag somewhere on their set when they playing out. They make a football song for World Cup and they does integrate plenty very local influences into their music. They even have a old-time calypso swing in some of their songs (that same Halloween song, for example).

And my boy Gary, when he singing, doesn’t put on no fake accent. Is pure Trini he singing in.

All of that is just to say: the show going on for the next three weeks. Go. Next week they have a band from South name Blood Red Clover. I can’t swear for the band because I never hear them, but I could swear for Gary and if he say is a band good enough to book them for the show, then I go have to say is a good band.

Moreover, go and support some people who not just happy to sit down and take whatever this place does throw at them. They fighting back, not just dreaming, but fighting back.

For more information on Anarchy on the Ave, go to: www.anarchyontheave.com
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 05:42:56 PM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: It ent only rock ‘n’ roll
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 12:42:53 PM »
u know when i was in trin no way i was going a rock show but over the last few years or so my mind has opened to so many things. i saying all this to say that i feel i could take in that show oui, sounding like a cool scene.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 12:48:08 PM »
u know when i was in trin no way i was going a rock show but over the last few years or so my mind has opened to so many things. i saying all this to say that i feel i could take in that show oui, sounding like a cool scene.

And yuh go be supporting we boy Big Magician aka Gary Hector.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 02:13:06 PM »

If dais de case...prof yuh miss out on orange sky in yuh area ah couple months ago (they play clubs Greenville and Charlotte)

Last year ah drive to Buffalo to check dem...this year to Michigan...when yuh see ah man in front ah yankee crowd and rockin dem wit lyrics "like ah zandolee in ah mango tree"...dem yankee boy eh even know whey trinidad is but de power  of de music have dem in AWE....is really someting else to see oui

at de end of de performace in buffalo last year..Rojas (lead singer) hold up ah big ass trini flag and big up de soca warriors
dem yankee wanted more....truly is someting to check out, even if the crowd is not your usual element
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline michimausi

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 01:29:07 AM »
I'm not sure if there is anything like this in the Trini underground scene, but who knows?  For those of you who are interested, check out http://www.myspace.com/mindflair  It's a link to the band in which my boyfriend is the drummer...  Please don't be shocked, though...the music & the scene may seem very aggressive, but I can assure that (just about all) people in this scene are very nice.
Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 06:31:29 AM »
Moshfred eh?....allyuh does have mosh pits?
do people still do that?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline michimausi

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 06:36:37 AM »
do people still do that?

Actually...yes.  Not all, but there are always quite a few who still do that.  I usually just enjoy watching, partying & having fun.  :)
Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 06:40:52 AM »
do people still do that?

Actually...yes.  Not all, but there are always quite a few who still do that.  I usually just enjoy watching, partying & having fun.  :)

Interesting...

The trini underground rock scene usually tends to reflect more american rock styles....although there are people that listen to that really hardcore black metal from the scandanavian countries....probably for attention more than anything else

ah well,, hope your boyfriends band gets the 'big showbiz break' one day  :beermug:

Offline michimausi

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 06:50:19 AM »
do people still do that?

Interesting...

The trini underground rock scene usually tends to reflect more american rock styles....although there are people that listen to that really hardcore black metal from the scandanavian countries....probably for attention more than anything else

ah well,, hope your boyfriends band gets the 'big showbiz break' one day  :beermug:

No, no, no...please no big showbiz break!!!  The band is a "just for fun" thing...  It's the underground scene which they prefer...not all the public commerce ****  All band members have their own jobs & they don't want to make profits out of the band nor do they want to make it to a band carreer.  They never require more money than they need to get to & fro a concert & all extra money that is "left over" is invested into the band...instruments, guitar strings, drums, etc...They're not into this commerce stuff like most famous or popular bands...

Black Metal is not really our taste...in the European underground scene, you can tell the differences, but I can't blame anybody who doesn't have much or anything to do with this type of music.  Most Black Metal fans here in Germany are kind of right-winged...we are NOT, though.  I must admit, though, that there are quite a lot of really good Scandinavian Grind- & Crust-Core bands!  Yes...really good...  :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 07:03:54 AM by michimausi »

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 07:29:20 AM »
riiiiiiiiiiight

They dont want the big break eh?...they are "just in for the artistry" and "the love of the music" only

yep heard all those 'rationales' before....but if somebody come along and offers them a tour that would allow them to make as much as their day jobs...watch what will happen  ;)

anyhoo..share this link with your people,, these boys want need the exposure....they have a couple videos in there as well for a quick listen

http://www.theorangesky.com/
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 07:32:27 AM by Dutty »

Offline michimausi

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 08:25:20 AM »
No, seriously...they've already rejected quite a few commerce gigs...for example with KORN.  They strictly refuse to play with bands who require lots of money, who rip off their fans & bands who expect fans to pay more than 10 Euro...  Trust me...some bands really don't want to leave the underground scene.  Of course they enjoy to travel, but always in the "background".  The band exists since 1994 & they don't want the big breakthrough.  It is HONESTLY a "just for fun" thing.  As long as they have enough money to share their hobby with others, that's enough for them.  Believe me...they even blush when asked for an autograph...  Of course they play at large festivals, but they don't do it for profit...you can trust me when I tell you this, I should know.  Music is a right for everyone...not only for those who have money...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 01:05:34 AM by michimausi »

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 09:19:00 AM »
rock is dead.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 09:24:46 AM »
rock is dead.

The wrestler/moviestar fellah?

I guess he finally smell his own cooking

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2006, 10:11:16 AM »
rock is dead.

except in samples of course.

Offline michimausi

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2006, 10:15:49 AM »
My boyfriend just came home a few minutes ago & he can only confirm what I have written...if he could speak good enough English he would have written something to this topic himself.  :)

Offline michimausi

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2006, 01:02:27 AM »
anyhoo..share this link with your people,, these boys want need the exposure....they have a couple videos in there as well for a quick listen

Hmmm...The Orange Sky seems to be more of a Heavy Metal band...very melodical.  We're not really into Heavy Metal.  I'm not criticizing it...I never criticize ANY type of music, because tastes are different.  I'm pretty sure they're a good Heavy Metal band & I'm sure they have quite a few dedicated fans, but I'm sorry...I don't know anybody who listens to that type of music...I will still share the link with my friends, though, who knows?  Maybe they know somebody who knows somebody elso who might enjoy their type of music...  :)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2006, 06:19:11 AM »

Hmmm...The Orange Sky seems to be more of a Heavy Metal band...very melodical. We're not really into Heavy Metal. I'm not criticizing it...I never criticize ANY type of music, because tastes are different. I'm pretty sure they're a good Heavy Metal band & I'm sure they have quite a few dedicated fans, but I'm sorry...I don't know anybody who listens to that type of music...I will still share the link with my friends, though, who knows? Maybe they know somebody who knows somebody elso who might enjoy their type of music... :)

well yes and no

Truthfully their style is a combination of metal and reggae...as well as a combo of metal and rapso (an indigenous style of music in T&T)...truly their own sound
The clips on the site are to cater to a north american audience....after all they have an album to sell

However, seeing them LIVE is a way different experience

Nevertheless, pass the link...maybe somebody in 'k-town' will buy a cd or two

Offline michimausi

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2006, 06:36:40 AM »

Hmmm...The Orange Sky seems to be more of a Heavy Metal band...very melodical.  We're not really into Heavy Metal.  I'm not criticizing it...I never criticize ANY type of music, because tastes are different.  I'm pretty sure they're a good Heavy Metal band & I'm sure they have quite a few dedicated fans, but I'm sorry...I don't know anybody who listens to that type of music...I will still share the link with my friends, though, who knows?  Maybe they know somebody who knows somebody elso who might enjoy their type of music...  :)

well yes and no

Truthfully their style is a combination of metal and reggae...as well as a combo of metal and rapso (an indigenous style of music in T&T)...truly their own sound
The clips on the site are to cater to a north american audience....after all they have an album to sell

However, seeing them LIVE is a way different experience

Nevertheless, pass the link...maybe somebody in 'k-town' will buy a cd or two

Even if they are not really my taste, I must admit it was an interesting experience to hear such music...always open for something different.  :)  I'm sure seeing them live is pretty interresting.  I know lots of people who go to Mindflair concerts even though they don't really like the music (it really isn't everyone's taste...this we know :) ), but they go nonetheless because of the live acts (like you've mentioned with The Orange Sky) & PARTY before, during and after. 
And, like I said before, of course I will share/pass the link...why not?  :) :beermug:

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2006, 09:17:30 AM »
I'm not sure if there is anything like this in the Trini underground scene, but who knows?  For those of you who are interested, check out http://www.myspace.com/mindflair  It's a link to the band in which my boyfriend is the drummer...  Please don't be shocked, though...the music & the scene may seem very aggressive, but I can assure that (just about all) people in this scene are very nice.

::) Jah Rastafari!! ::) what is that??? ::) :o
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
Re: It ent only rock 'n' roll
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2006, 12:13:35 PM »
orange sky - nice intro :thumbsup: .

mindflair - nice drums :thumbsup: .

i've been exploring the "hard rock"/"metal" genre over the last few years and the thing that really hurts this genre is vocals. honestly, if bands concentrate their efforts on the music to express themselves and completely remove or limit the vocals, they will be easier to listen to. some of the people in this genre are really good musicians but the genre has a bad rep. plus it's one of the few genres that deal with darker themes in life.

Offline michimausi

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2006, 12:49:42 AM »

i've been exploring the "hard rock"/"metal" genre over the last few years and the thing that really hurts this genre is vocals. honestly, if bands concentrate their efforts on the music to express themselves and completely remove or limit the vocals, they will be easier to listen to. some of the people in this genre are really good musicians but the genre has a bad rep. plus it's one of the few genres that deal with darker themes in life.

Hmmm...mindflair isn't really a metal band, they are more of a grindcore/crustcore band.  They started off, back in 1994, as a more of a death metal band, but changed immensly throughout the years.  Most people don't know what crust/grindcore is, or that it even exists!   (ahem...hey there Pointman  ;) );D  It is often compared to the hardest music that most people know, which happens to be heavy metal, but there are huge differences between the types of music.  Anyhow, in music such as mindflair makes, the vocals are extremely important, but they are not used like in many other music types.  The vocals are considered as another instrument, not as actual vocals.  Mindflair doesn't like the word "vocals", they much more prefer the word "voices" which fits to the description much better.  Music doesn't always need a nice voice where you can understand each and every word (in mindflair's case, you really can't understand much of anything unless you really know the lyrics  ::) ), but in that case it could be well compared to classical music...Mozart or Beethoven made beautiful music which was very capable of expressing many emotions and feelings completley without words or lyrics...only instruments. 
It's nice to see that people in this forum are interrested in different types of music without degrading or insulting what they might not happen to like.   
You are definately right when you say that such bands deal with the darker (or serious) themes in life.  That's why the voices sound so aggressive...to express their feelings towards different topics.

By the way, they also have an official website of their own...  www.mindflair.de.vu  check it out if you like
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 01:07:52 AM by michimausi »

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2006, 10:50:33 AM »

Hmmm...mindflair isn't really a metal band, they are more of a grindcore/crustcore band. They started off, back in 1994, as a more of a death metal band, but changed immensly throughout the years. Most people don't know what crust/grindcore is, or that it even exists! (ahem...hey there Pointman ;) );D It is often compared to the hardest music that most people know, which happens to be heavy metal, but there are huge differences between the types of music. Anyhow, in music such as mindflair makes, the vocals are extremely important, but they are not used like in many other music types. The vocals are considered as another instrument, not as actual vocals. Mindflair doesn't like the word "vocals", they much more prefer the word "voices" which fits to the description much better. Music doesn't always need a nice voice where you can understand each and every word (in mindflair's case, you really can't understand much of anything unless you really know the lyrics ::) ), but in that case it could be well compared to classical music...Mozart or Beethoven made beautiful music which was very capable of expressing many emotions and feelings completley without words or lyrics...only instruments.
It's nice to see that people in this forum are interrested in different types of music without degrading or insulting what they might not happen to like.
You are definately right when you say that such bands deal with the darker (or serious) themes in life.  That's why the voices sound so aggressive...to express their feelings towards different topics.

By the way, they also have an official website of their own...  www.mindflair.de.vu  check it out if you like

never heard of crunchcore until you mentioned it. the idea of "voices" instead of vocals certainly differentiates it from the metal i was thinking of.

when i was more musically active, i didn't hear much of anything from europe. most of the stuff was american or british or "distributed" through america - i.e. the import scene. but this was something i didnt have the money to follow. a friend recorded a tape for me with some bands from europe like coroner, bathory, entombed, ..... coroner and entombed were good. fortunately things are easier to distribute now.

i read that alot of music in the last few decades follow two distinct traditions. theres the blues tradition and then theres the punk tradition. it seems like mindflair seems more in line with the punk tradition. orange sky seems more blues-influenced. from my understanding, the punk approach is a bit more experimental than the traditional blues approach like a reaction to orthodoxy. this might explain why it seems important for mindflair to stay underground and why orange sky doesnt mind so much increased exposure and popularity. chacon son gout as the french say.

Offline michimausi

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2006, 12:39:10 AM »

Hmmm...mindflair isn't really a metal band, they are more of a grindcore/crustcore band.  They started off, back in 1994, as a more of a death metal band, but changed immensly throughout the years.  Most people don't know what crust/grindcore is, or that it even exists!   (ahem...hey there Pointman  ;) );D  It is often compared to the hardest music that most people know, which happens to be heavy metal, but there are huge differences between the types of music.  Anyhow, in music such as mindflair makes, the vocals are extremely important, but they are not used like in many other music types.  The vocals are considered as another instrument, not as actual vocals.  Mindflair doesn't like the word "vocals", they much more prefer the word "voices" which fits to the description much better.  Music doesn't always need a nice voice where you can understand each and every word (in mindflair's case, you really can't understand much of anything unless you really know the lyrics  ::) ), but in that case it could be well compared to classical music...Mozart or Beethoven made beautiful music which was very capable of expressing many emotions and feelings completley without words or lyrics...only instruments. 

never heard of crunchcore until you mentioned it. the idea of "voices" instead of vocals certainly differentiates it from the metal i was thinking of.

when i was more musically active, i didn't hear much of anything from europe. most of the stuff was american or british or "distributed" through america - i.e. the import scene. but this was something i didnt have the money to follow. a friend recorded a tape for me with some bands from europe like coroner, bathory, entombed, ..... coroner and entombed were good. fortunately things are easier to distribute now.

i read that alot of music in the last few decades follow two distinct traditions. theres the blues tradition and then theres the punk tradition. it seems like mindflair seems more in line with the punk tradition. orange sky seems more blues-influenced. from my understanding, the punk approach is a bit more experimental than the traditional blues approach like a reaction to orthodoxy. this might explain why it seems important for mindflair to stay underground and why orange sky doesnt mind so much increased exposure and popularity. chacon son gout as the french say.

Actually it's called crustcore, not crunchcore, but that's ok.  Crunchcore sounds cool too.  ;)  Mindflair is more crindcore that crustcore, but we listen to both.  Anyhow, I like reading how you write...very nice & interesting.  You could be right with the blues & punk theory, there are always many punks at their concerts, even though the european punk is much different than crindcore, but somehow we all seem to stick together most likely because our way of thinking and our points of view towards life are similar.
We don't see anything wrong with people being, or wanting to be famous.  There's also nothing wrong with the fact that people want to make a living through producing music.  Of course we also listen to quite a few famous bands.  The only thing that bothers us is the fact that very many famous musicians expect way too much money from their fans.  More than they require to make  a (even very luxiourious) living.  That's just something mindflair could never combine with their good concience.  When mindflair was offered to perform with Korn, they refused, not out of fear of becoming famous, but more because of the fact that they (Korn) said from the start how much money they were expecting for the performance...  I don't know if you know the band D.R.I.?  Anyhow, they are from the States and are pretty famous & have been around for over 20 years. Even though they are famous, they don't make a big deal out of it.  For their 20 year anniversary tour, they only performed in small underground places and their tickets costed 6 Euro!  That's what we enjoy seeing amongst musicians...honest dedication towards their fans.  They even came up to us after the show, shook all of our hands and said "thank you very much for coming to our show!"  That's the kind of thing we prefer.  But like you already said...to each his own, or chacun a son gout.  :)

And, by the way, believe it or not, we also enjoy listening to good blues.  Very often, driving in the car before a concert, we really enjoy the ride with good, mellow blues.  I even listen to stuff like the grateful dead, janis joplin & the doors.  :)

I also must admit, during the world cup, I saw people like Shurwayne Winchester, Calypso Rose, Iwer George, Black Stalin, Roy Cape, The Laventille Rhythm Section, and others  perform here in Kaiserslautern & it was a blast!!!  I enjoyed it very much!  The music may not be my first choice, but it was great nonetheless.  The atmosphere was incomparable.  My boyfriend was there as well, and he (as a drummer) was fascinated by the Laventille Rhythm Section!  As you can see, we may not choose to listen to  every type of music, but we are always open for new experiences.  :)

Here is a link which kind of describes the definition of grindcore:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grindcore  in case you may be interested
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 07:46:53 AM by michimausi »

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2006, 07:26:29 AM »

Another more practical reason is because dem fellahs from mindflair already have ah day wukk

Dem fellahs from Orange sky..dat IS dey wukk

Man hadda eat....and hi-lo prices eh easy
as fuh whoever else readin dis...go and buy ah Orange sky CD and support trinidad music

ah know dem dreads since dey have windball afro.........mih people tryin to eat

Offline michimausi

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2006, 07:43:52 AM »

Another more practical reason is because dem fellahs from mindflair already have ah day wukk

Dem fellahs from Orange sky..dat IS dey wukk

Man hadda eat....and hi-lo prices eh easy
as fuh whoever else readin dis...go and buy ah Orange sky CD and support trinidad music

ah know dem dreads since dey have windball afro.........mih people tryin to eat

My boyfriend was unemployed for 3 years before he got the job which he has now (for 7 months)...The former bass player was unemployed as well.  Yes, at present they all have jobs, but that wasn't always so.  But even as some members were without a job, they never chose to make a living through their band. 

Nonetheless, ther's nothing wrong with musicians making a living through their bands, like I have already written in my last post:

We don't see anything wrong with people being, or wanting to be famous.  There's also nothing wrong with the fact that people want to make a living through producing music.  Of course we also listen to quite a few famous bands.  The only thing that bothers us is the fact that very many famous musicians expect way too much money from their fans.  More than they require to make  a (even very luxiourious) living.  That's just something mindflair could never combine with their good concience. 

It's only the way lots of musicians begin to expect much too much (more than they need to make a great living) money from everyday normal people who just don't have much money.  That's not fair & that's what bothers us...not the fact that some people want the big breakthrough.  There's nothing wrong with a music career as long as you stay honest and down to earth as a normal person...after all even the most famous people are just people...why should it be so damn expensive just to be able to see them on a stage? 

Please don't understand me wrong...I never criticized The Orange Sky, and I never will.  I'm sure they work hard for their music & I really hope they make their wishes come true.  Like I said before, they are a good metal band.  And I have already passed the link...some people find it very interesting.   :beermug:

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2006, 08:08:37 AM »

Please don't understand me wrong...I never criticized The Orange Sky, and I never will. I'm sure they work hard for their music & I really hope they make their wishes come true. Like I said before, they are a good metal band. And I have already passed the link...some people find it very interesting. :beermug:

No worries, I never got the sense that you crticized them

even if you did...ah well,,everybody has their own path to take

The guys from orange sky use to have regular jobs in trini, but touring takes up a lot of time...so they were forced to quit/got fired etc

now music is the full time....

Offline michimausi

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2006, 08:29:31 AM »

Please don't understand me wrong...I never criticized The Orange Sky, and I never will.  I'm sure they work hard for their music & I really hope they make their wishes come true.  Like I said before, they are a good metal band.  And I have already passed the link...some people find it very interesting.   :beermug:

No worries, I never got the sense that you crticized them

even if you did...ah well,,everybody has their own path to take

The guys from orange sky use to have regular jobs in trini, but touring takes up a lot of time...so they were forced to quit/got fired etc

now music is the full time....

Thank God  :)  The reason I thought you may think I was criticizing them is just because, you see, we germans (especially the women ::) ) have the famous reputation of being a little bitchy.  I, personally, don't think I am like that, but you see, I have difficulties expressing myself in English...some people misinterpret some of what I say, especially when I have to write it and don't have the chance to say what I think in a personal discussion.  It's hard to know how my written words sound when others read it...the tone of the voice is very important at times, especially when communicating in a language one doesn't use often...

Too bad they had to quit their jobs, but at least they all found something they really enjoy.  That's most important.  :)

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2006, 07:15:20 PM »

Hmmm...mindflair isn't really a metal band, they are more of a grindcore/crustcore band. They started off, back in 1994, as a more of a death metal band, but changed immensly throughout the years. Most people don't know what crust/grindcore is, or that it even exists! (ahem...hey there Pointman ;) );D It is often compared to the hardest music that most people know, which happens to be heavy metal, but there are huge differences between the types of music. Anyhow, in music such as mindflair makes, the vocals are extremely important, but they are not used like in many other music types. The vocals are considered as another instrument, not as actual vocals. Mindflair doesn't like the word "vocals", they much more prefer the word "voices" which fits to the description much better. Music doesn't always need a nice voice where you can understand each and every word (in mindflair's case, you really can't understand much of anything unless you really know the lyrics ::) ), but in that case it could be well compared to classical music...Mozart or Beethoven made beautiful music which was very capable of expressing many emotions and feelings completley without words or lyrics...only instruments.

Actually it's called crustcore, not crunchcore, but that's ok.  Crunchcore sounds cool too.  ;)  Mindflair is more crindcore that crustcore, but we listen to both.  Anyhow, I like reading how you write...very nice & interesting.  You could be right with the blues & punk theory, there are always many punks at their concerts, even though the european punk is much different than crindcore, but somehow we all seem to stick together most likely because our way of thinking and our points of view towards life are similar.
We don't see anything wrong with people being, or wanting to be famous.  There's also nothing wrong with the fact that people want to make a living through producing music.  Of course we also listen to quite a few famous bands.  The only thing that bothers us is the fact that very many famous musicians expect way too much money from their fans.  More than they require to make  a (even very luxiourious) living.  That's just something mindflair could never combine with their good concience.  When mindflair was offered to perform with Korn, they refused, not out of fear of becoming famous, but more because of the fact that they (Korn) said from the start how much money they were expecting for the performance...  I don't know if you know the band D.R.I.?  Anyhow, they are from the States and are pretty famous & have been around for over 20 years. Even though they are famous, they don't make a big deal out of it.  For their 20 year anniversary tour, they only performed in small underground places and their tickets costed 6 Euro!  That's what we enjoy seeing amongst musicians...honest dedication towards their fans.  They even came up to us after the show, shook all of our hands and said "thank you very much for coming to our show!"  That's the kind of thing we prefer.  But like you already said...to each his own, or chacun a son gout.  :)

And, by the way, believe it or not, we also enjoy listening to good blues.  Very often, driving in the car before a concert, we really enjoy the ride with good, mellow blues.  I even listen to stuff like the grateful dead, janis joplin & the doors.  :)

I also must admit, during the world cup, I saw people like Shurwayne Winchester, Calypso Rose, Iwer George, Black Stalin, Roy Cape, The Laventille Rhythm Section, and others  perform here in Kaiserslautern & it was a blast!!!  I enjoyed it very much!  The music may not be my first choice, but it was great nonetheless.  The atmosphere was incomparable.  My boyfriend was there as well, and he (as a drummer) was fascinated by the Laventille Rhythm Section!  As you can see, we may not choose to listen to  every type of music, but we are always open for new experiences.  :)

Here is a link which kind of describes the definition of grindcore:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grindcore  in case you may be interested
oops. CRUSTcore, sorry.

it's great to hear that the music lovers in your part of the world are aware of when a ticket price is too much. certainly there is a point where it's too much. clearly this shapes our choices. this seems to be another dichotomy: live vs. recorded. for myself, i prefer the studio sound. i rarely go out to see a band now and will only see bands that have put out good studio work. of course, recorded/studio is quite a bit cheaper than live (this is where the cost comes in). and the vibe is different of course. like you said, the interaction between the musicians and the fans is only really possible in a live setting. recorded music is disconnected from the fans - in that sense it is not an ACTIVE form of communication. it's like art really - where you might go into a gallery and look at a piece and map your own feelings and thoughts on a piece.

so back to ticket prices - say Korn is going to hold a concert with x number of seats. their marketing people tell them that they will sell out the place because there is plenty of demand and can get y euros for it. is that exploitation? it seems that the "subsistence musician" (i.e. not trying to make too much money) is a fine line to cut. is it high ticket prices or something else?

it seems that you are looking at this from the musician's point of view. i guess, i'm looking at it from a listener's perspective. if it were up to me to put a price tag on a musical experience of my choosing, the current ticket prices would be reasonable. probably i am fortunate that the bands that i follow do not charge exorbitant prices ;D

well, i'm going to see megadeth tomorrow :wavetowel:

Offline michimausi

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2006, 06:01:30 AM »
Hey Ribbit!

Megedeth, eh?  Are they actually still around?  I used to listen to them during my younger years (about 13-18 years).  Due to my 3 older brothers, actually.  I used to really be into Metal.  Megadeth was one of my favorite bands back then, next to Suicidal Tendencies.  Wow, it's moments like this when I realise how old I am.  :)  I've never seen them live.  Let me know how it was!  I wish you lots of fun!!!   

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2006, 06:27:43 AM »
Megadeath?? dem fellahs still alive  ???

1]; } ?>