April 28, 2024, 12:56:10 PM

Author Topic: It ent only rock 'n' roll  (Read 11069 times)

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
Re: It ent only rock 'n' roll
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2006, 08:49:35 AM »
Hey Ribbit!

Megedeth, eh?  Are they actually still around?  I used to listen to them during my younger years (about 13-18 years).  Due to my 3 older brothers, actually.  I used to really be into Metal.  Megadeth was one of my favorite bands back then, next to Suicidal Tendencies.  Wow, it's moments like this when I realise how old I am.  :)  I've never seen them live.  Let me know how it was!  I wish you lots of fun!!!   

yeah - and the INFECTIOUS GROOVES. suicidal tendencies was a great project. how about KMFDM - remember those guys?

Megadeath?? dem fellahs still alive ???

megadeth is basically dave mustaine. the other band members come and go - but mustaine does pretty much all the writing and studio work. and he goes through band members like drawers  :( there was one good lineup in the 90s but he fell out with all them.

the concert was very good. the undercard was:

into eternity - from canada. missed this
overkill - from new jersey. been around forever. missed this
arch enemy - from sweden with a german lady as the vocalist :)  excellent.
opeth - from sweden. very very good.
lamb of god - from richmond, virginia, usa. good with the crowd. no melody though :(

as for megadeth, they were impressive. they played what seemed like two albums worth of material.

weirdest moment: five songs into their set, mustaine threw his guitar half way across the stage. later revealed as a technical malfunction - probably there was some water leaking on the electrics somewhere and he was getting shocked. some tension as the promoter had to come out and reassure the crowd that the concert was not over.

best moment 4: tornado of souls
best moment 3: washington is next
best moment 2: holy wars - at this point the stage looked like iraq during gulf war I
best moment 1: splicing in a bit of  battery [metallica song]  into a solo.

dave mustaine is a boss :applause: :notworthy: :applause: :notworthy: :applause: :notworthy: :applause: :notworthy: :applause:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 10:11:00 AM by ribbit »

Offline michimausi

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2006, 09:06:08 AM »
KMFDM...I've heard of them & I've heard a few of their songs.  I liked what I heard, but it wasn't much.  :(

Infectious Grooves was cool, yeah.  I saw Suicidal Tendencies  live with Anthrax in 88 or 89 in Dortmund, I believe...it was very cool.  I knew you would like Dave's performance, I never saw him live, though.  Too bad, because I used to be madly in love with him...I know, I know - go shoot me, WTF was I thinking back then?!?!?

I don't know all of the bands you've mentioned, but I do remember Overkill!  They actually still around?  Wow, I wouldn't have guessed.

Well, mindflair will be playing in K-Town on Friday, the 29th...maybe I'll post a few pics or videos...It's a birthday party concert for one of our friends, so it should be lots of fun.  I just hope my ex doesn't show up there, or else I'll have to go home...that would really suck.
“Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.”

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2006, 10:06:27 AM »
so why you have to go home?

hes a stalker?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline michimausi

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2006, 10:30:39 AM »
Long story short:  He's not allowed closer than 500 meters near me or my son.  He's very dangerous...he's known here for having stabbed one of his ex-girlfriends, and when we broke up, he threatened to kill me & the rest involves my son & is too personal...he didn't have to go to jail, though, because the "poor guy" isn't mean, "only very sick & needs help"...  That's how it was said in court...
“Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.”

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2006, 10:43:05 AM »
wow...dat way worse dan stalker

well keep ah sharp eye out...watch yuhself

Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2006, 10:59:49 AM »
wtf ?!  that's pretty awful. mm, take care of yourself.  :peace: :peace:

Offline michimausi

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2006, 01:37:16 PM »
wow...dat way worse dan stalker

well keep ah sharp eye out...watch yuhself

wtf ?!  that's pretty awful. mm, take care of yourself.  :peace: :peace:

Thank you, but not to worry...I'll keep an eye out, like always when concerts are held here in our city...It's pretty annoying, but neccessary, unfortunately.  :(  Enough people are always telling me, "Don't worry.  If he shows up, we'll take care of you, or protect you".  But I don't want any babysitters.  If somebody has to waste their time protecting me, then they can't enjoy themselves...that's the problem, and I don't feel like staying backstage the entire time either, because most of the fun is NOT backstage...  Besides, when he stabbed his ex back then, it was in public with many people around the place, so maybe you understand why I don't feel safe with so called "protectors".  The only thing I am thankful for is if somebody drives me home as soon as he shows up, but...so far, so good.  I'm still alive and healthy.  :)  What bothers me the most, though, is that we broke up over 8 years ago, and I still have to be afraid of him...
Oh yeah, just in case some of you are wondering, "why did you date him in the first place, knowing that he has already stabbed an ex before"...the answer is really simple:  I didn't know.  Not long after I found out what kind of a person he was, we broke up...so please, no questions.   ;)
I'm almost certain, though, that he won't show up this time, and if that should be the case, I will try to make a few good pics of the show and post them.  :)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 02:54:59 PM by michimausi »

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2006, 03:07:17 PM »
geez THAT is some stress right there. someone should put some obeah on your ex - that go fix him one time!

well, i hope you enjoy the concert. what other bands will be playing?

i'm going to order the orange sky on cd now :thumbsup:

Offline michimausi

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2006, 03:21:11 PM »
obeah?   ???

The other bands are:  Dioramic, Pollytox, Unholy Chainsaw Abortion of Doom, &  Sexy Drugs

They're all pretty much local bands.  They're the birthday kid's friends & he's in one of the bands.  To be honest, most of them are not really my taste, but it's for a "good cause" & it's the party surrounding the concert which makes it so much fun at the end.

Enjoy the new CD.  Hopefully it arrives you soon!  :)

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2006, 11:47:21 AM »
obeah?   ???

The other bands are:  Dioramic, Pollytox, Unholy Chainsaw Abortion of Doom, &  Sexy Drugs

They're all pretty much local bands.  They're the birthday kid's friends & he's in one of the bands.  To be honest, most of them are not really my taste, but it's for a "good cause" & it's the party surrounding the concert which makes it so much fun at the end.

Enjoy the new CD.  Hopefully it arrives you soon!  :)

here's a bit on obeah. i heard a few stories from my parents and relatives. i think there was a thread early on about old time things like this.

will do a review of the CD once i get it.  :waiting:

Offline michimausi

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2006, 03:13:56 AM »
Hi!  I know it's been quite a while, but I've been busy...and pretty ill for quite a while (am still recovering).  I didn't make any pics that night... sorry.  I am also having a few problems uploading the videos which I've recorded, so I only uploaded 1 song...better than nothing, though.  Here's the link:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_o0Z3XN_aE

Please excuse the sound...it's not the best quality, but I was standing right behind the speaker... ::)

Oh, by the way, there was also a band from east Germany who performed there that night.  Their name is Verge on Reason.  They were absolutely fantastic!!!  Maybe, in the soon future, I will manage to upload all videos of that night...

here's a bit on obeah. i heard a few stories from my parents and relatives. i think there was a thread early on about old time things like this.

Ribbit, I've read a little bit about obeah and voodoo in general and must admit, it's very interesting, but nothing I would practice.  I've heard that voodoo always comes around 10 times harder than it was practiced in the beginning...that does tend to frighten me a tiny bit.  But thanks anyway for the information.  :)

Have you recieved your CD yet?

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2006, 01:51:21 PM »
Hi!  I know it's been quite a while, but I've been busy...and pretty ill for quite a while (am still recovering).  I didn't make any pics that night... sorry.  I am also having a few problems uploading the videos which I've recorded, so I only uploaded 1 song...better than nothing, though.  Here's the link:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_o0Z3XN_aE

Please excuse the sound...it's not the best quality, but I was standing right behind the speaker... ::)

Oh, by the way, there was also a band from east Germany who performed there that night.  Their name is Verge on Reason.  They were absolutely fantastic!!!  Maybe, in the soon future, I will manage to upload all videos of that night...

Ribbit, I've read a little bit about obeah and voodoo in general and must admit, it's very interesting, but nothing I would practice.  I've heard that voodoo always comes around 10 times harder than it was practiced in the beginning...that does tend to frighten me a tiny bit.  But thanks anyway for the information.  :)

Have you recieved your CD yet?

hi michimausi,

the CD "has been shipped". will check out the upload tonight - thanks for the effort!!  :applause: :notworthy: .

had a conversation with a czech coworker a few years back. we came to the conclusion that in both of our cultures there wasn't really a satisfactory means in which to express anger. and probably there are other instincts that do not surface due to society's form. musicians and artists can use this as an opportunity to find ways to express this. but it seems there has to be some larger consequences to this. :thinking:

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
Primus in town
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2006, 11:04:35 PM »
geez ah finally get the cd - it has a cd and dvd. will watch/listen and send some comments out shortly.

however, tonight belongs to primus. just saw them. those guys can play. they seem to like just jamming with les claypool and larry lalonde alternating solos.

they turned american life into something like a 15 minute jam. this was highlight #3. highlight #4 was my name is mud. highlight #2 was a short reggae interlude - never heard them play like this before and it sounded great.

the best highlight was the encore - wynona's big brown beaver. apparently they rarely play this song any more. claypool came out for the encore wearing what looked like one of those safari caps - a bit like selassie - and asked everyone to cuddle up to that special someone.

good show. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline michimausi

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2006, 06:26:46 AM »
Hey!  I know it's been a long time since I've been here, but I'm pretty busy lately.  I have a job again FINALLY!!!  Hooray!  It's only for 6 months, but better than nothing! 
So Ribbit, you got the CD...how is it? 
had a conversation with a czech coworker a few years back. we came to the conclusion that in both of our cultures there wasn't really a satisfactory means in which to express anger. and probably there are other instincts that do not surface due to society's form. musicians and artists can use this as an opportunity to find ways to express this. but it seems there has to be some larger consequences to this. :thinking:
Well, actually in the Czech Republic, music such as grind, etc...is pretty wide spread and well-known.  Every year there is a festival in Trutnow where Mindflair has played a few times as well.  It's called "Obscene Extreme", lasts an entire weekend & about 40 bands perform during the festival.  Such music is also broadcasted pretty often in the Czech radios...lucky them.  :)  That's one reason why I believe the east-europeans are so much nicer & happier in general...because they use one of the best and least violent opportunities to express and deal with their anger.

geez ah finally get the cd - it has a cd and dvd. will watch/listen and send some comments out shortly.

however, tonight belongs to primus. just saw them. those guys can play. they seem to like just jamming with les claypool and larry lalonde alternating solos.

they turned american life into something like a 15 minute jam. this was highlight #3. highlight #4 was my name is mud. highlight #2 was a short reggae interlude - never heard them play like this before and it sounded great.

the best highlight was the encore - wynona's big brown beaver. apparently they rarely play this song any more. claypool came out for the encore wearing what looked like one of those safari caps - a bit like selassie - and asked everyone to cuddle up to that special someone.

That's so cool!!!  You saw Primus!!!  I used to love their music, especially "My Name is Mud" and "Winona's Big Brown Beaver"!!!  Congrats to you for being able to have seen them!  Right now, I'm in my mellow phase (it always hits me around christmas time :) ).  I've been listening to the Pixies quite a lot...  Their music is so peaceful and melodic...the perfect thing for me when I'm in a wintery, romantic mellow kind of mood.  I guess it might have something to do with my b-day coming up...I'm getting old and get the feeling sometimes I should calm down a little...   ::)

and asked everyone to cuddle up to that special someone.

Did you do as you were told?  I'm glad you enjoyed the show!

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2006, 02:26:12 PM »
Hey!  I know it's been a long time since I've been here, but I'm pretty busy lately.  I have a job again FINALLY!!!  Hooray!  It's only for 6 months, but better than nothing! 
So Ribbit, you got the CD...how is it? 
Well, actually in the Czech Republic, music such as grind, etc...is pretty wide spread and well-known.  Every year there is a festival in Trutnow where Mindflair has played a few times as well.  It's called "Obscene Extreme", lasts an entire weekend & about 40 bands perform during the festival.  Such music is also broadcasted pretty often in the Czech radios...lucky them.  :)  That's one reason why I believe the east-europeans are so much nicer & happier in general...because they use one of the best and least violent opportunities to express and deal with their anger.

That's so cool!!!  You saw Primus!!!  I used to love their music, especially "My Name is Mud" and "Winona's Big Brown Beaver"!!!  Congrats to you for being able to have seen them!  Right now, I'm in my mellow phase (it always hits me around christmas time :) ).  I've been listening to the Pixies quite a lot...  Their music is so peaceful and melodic...the perfect thing for me when I'm in a wintery, romantic mellow kind of mood.  I guess it might have something to do with my b-day coming up...I'm getting old and get the feeling sometimes I should calm down a little...   ::)

and asked everyone to cuddle up to that special someone.

Did you do as you were told?  I'm glad you enjoyed the show!

congrats on the job! 6 months is great - just in time for summer  ;D

michi, i lapsing bad. i've been in an old tunes frame of mind for the last few months. in a real rut with just work and more work. yesterday was the shortest day in the year (dec. 21 winter solstice). i'm not in the christmas mood at all. i've been listening to old stuff: kraftwerk, triumph and neil young. i used to like this time of year but that feeling is so distant now. now my life is on a scrap of paper in front me - people to contact, things to do before the year ends, obligations and commitments.

do have a great holiday season - to you and yours!!

Offline michimausi

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2006, 02:15:18 AM »

michi, i lapsing bad. i've been in an old tunes frame of mind for the last few months. in a real rut with just work and more work. yesterday was the shortest day in the year (dec. 21 winter solstice). i'm not in the christmas mood at all. i've been listening to old stuff: kraftwerk, triumph and neil young. i used to like this time of year but that feeling is so distant now. now my life is on a scrap of paper in front me - people to contact, things to do before the year ends, obligations and commitments.

Thank you!!  I'm glad I finally have a job again, but towards the end of April I'll be unemployed again.  :(  It's very difficult at the moment to get a job here in Germany...  As happy as I am, I really can't do nothing much with the money I earn...I had planned to visit T&T in the summer, BUT now I have to spend my money for something else...I not only found a job...I also found a new appartment!!!  At the moment I live in a tiny 32 square meter, 2 room appartment (for almost 11 years now   :o ).  I'll be moving into my new appartment in February.  It's an 86 square meter, 4 room, 2 balkonies appartment, on the "Betzenberg" (really close to the Dorint Hotel & the Fritz-Walter-Stadion) with a playground right behind the building...perfect for my son!  I just can't describe how happy I am!!!

I know what you mean with not being in the Christmas mood...I feel the same way.  Christmas time always hits me in a strange kind of way.  I LOVE winter, but Christmas is something different...  I used to love Christmas, but it's become too commercial.  If I didn't have child, I probably wouldn't "celebrate" Christmas at all...  I don't want to ruin it for my son, though.   :angel:  One thing I will never really understand is why people are only so happy, loving & generous during the Holiday Season (or on days such as Valentine's Day)...I find it pretty hypocritical.  Lovingness & happiness should be a life-style or engagement & not just something you decide to be when you expect a present...Try explaining that to others, though...

Anyhow, if you decide to celebrate Christmas, I don't want to be the one to ruin it for you...I only wanted to express my point of view...  That doesn't mean I wouldn't want to wish anybody a Very Merry Christmas!!!   :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

Perhaps you should take some vacation...it could work wonders  & put you in the mood you wish to be in again  ;)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 02:19:09 AM by michimausi »

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2007, 10:42:53 PM »

Thank you!!  I'm glad I finally have a job again, but towards the end of April I'll be unemployed again.  :(  It's very difficult at the moment to get a job here in Germany...  As happy as I am, I really can't do nothing much with the money I earn...I had planned to visit T&T in the summer, BUT now I have to spend my money for something else...I not only found a job...I also found a new appartment!!!  At the moment I live in a tiny 32 square meter, 2 room appartment (for almost 11 years now   :o ).  I'll be moving into my new appartment in February.  It's an 86 square meter, 4 room, 2 balkonies appartment, on the "Betzenberg" (really close to the Dorint Hotel & the Fritz-Walter-Stadion) with a playground right behind the building...perfect for my son!  I just can't describe how happy I am!!!

I know what you mean with not being in the Christmas mood...I feel the same way.  Christmas time always hits me in a strange kind of way.  I LOVE winter, but Christmas is something different...  I used to love Christmas, but it's become too commercial.  If I didn't have child, I probably wouldn't "celebrate" Christmas at all...  I don't want to ruin it for my son, though.   :angel:  One thing I will never really understand is why people are only so happy, loving & generous during the Holiday Season (or on days such as Valentine's Day)...I find it pretty hypocritical.  Lovingness & happiness should be a life-style or engagement & not just something you decide to be when you expect a present...Try explaining that to others, though...

Anyhow, if you decide to celebrate Christmas, I don't want to be the one to ruin it for you...I only wanted to express my point of view...  That doesn't mean I wouldn't want to wish anybody a Very Merry Christmas!!!   :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

Perhaps you should take some vacation...it could work wonders  & put you in the mood you wish to be in again  ;)

i think you are right about the vacation. this xmas never really happened for me. things shut down, but i didn't. i wanted to do something but everyone else was taking a break.  this was me: :waiting: . yeah, i get what you are saying. why wait till it's a holiday to give or to feel happy or remember someone - i guess the annual schedule of holidays is a form of discipline but sometimes it just doesn't ... work.

that's great about the apartment. that's like 1000 sq ft! sounds like it's got what you are looking for. fantastic! great way to start off the year :wavetowel: .

finally got around to listening to orange sky. you can tell they've played together for a bit. haven't looked at the dvd yet. one song that stood out was "alive" - honestly, i really don't ever listen to lyrics so i can't really remember what they were about (the only lyrics i can ever remember are from soundgarden   ;) ). will have to listen to them a few more times. the drummer had some neat rhythms and i liked the guitar. my first impression was they seemed to be aiming to fit into a radio format. i wish they had a longer song on the cd. it would also give them a chance to showcase something more melodic. they did one cover of a cat stevens song. here again, i wish they did a different interpretation. probably it is my desire to hear something harder. i figure a song should be very melodic (kind of sad or a ballad) or be really hard (riffs and grinding). but not in between.

okay, have a good one.

1]; } ?>