March 28, 2024, 03:23:46 AM

Author Topic: When Last Yuh.......  (Read 4627 times)

Offline nobody_s angel

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
When Last Yuh.......
« on: August 29, 2006, 07:24:32 AM »
I saw Kanditt last post and was thinking the same thing about the board for a while. So a friend told mine told me this story and I decided to share it with you guys.

It's not funny.

It has no sexy woman.

It has no sweet man in it.

Any way I know a few ppl close meh post already but for those of you with an open mind and a kind heart read on.

When last yuh see a homeless person/socially displaced/ "vagrant" smile?

Well my friend saw one smile on Friday. She was walking not too far from the promenade when she went to buy some much needed snacks for work. As she was approaching the promenade she saw a "vagrant" digging in an old cardboard box infested with flies, only to find 1 really green banana to eat.

When she saw that she decided that she would buy him something to eat, after all she was going to full her face why not feed someone too.

All the shop had was junk and large bags of Crix.

Well if it really is the vital supply that will have to do as it was well past lunch time.

So on her way back to work she was armed with the bag of Crix and an orange juice. It seemed like a poor attempt at charity and she was surre she would have gotten a good cuss.

She was wrong cause as she approached the "vagrant" with his gloommy face and gave him the package he returned a kind smile and said a soft Thank You.

That story is a true one and made me think when was the last time I made a homeless person smile?

When was the last time I gave someone who didn't have a meal, a box of food or a sandwhich??

Fear of being cuss or being a miser is not a good excuse.

Before you say Trinidad gone through ask yourself..

When was the last time I.........
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 07:29:23 AM by nobody_s angel »

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
Re: When Last Yuh.......
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 07:36:40 AM »
i must admit when i saw u  say  " no sexy women" i was tempted to stop reading i glad i didnt.
 well dais the kind of person i think i am..and would like my son to be come.  meh wife does say she find i does go outt ameh way for emh frens and they does take advanatge of me. but   i poerfer ot help someone and lose out than jus be bad mind and say " is dem ahve they self so etc etc" life to short for that shit

so here is mine
 last x mas... after dropping my son off at daycare  i was coming back and i notice this elderly white woman trying to shovel like 2 feet of snow from off her walk way. and ppl passing(had ah serious row of cars infront of me) and no one eh stop to help. i dont know but for me i didnt have to think twice iw a sjus shocked and kinda vex dat ppl so. steups
 at any rate i was lil cautious cause i didnt know hwo she woulda react as i apporached( de lil dreds nah and i was dressed casual...lol..nuff said)
she was relaly nice and thanksful..we got to tlkaing and she was an ex teacher. well dat talk went onf or a while..when i check it out... walk waya nd drive way shovel and we still tlaking. bout her experiences as a teacher hwo she fmaily come from england and she ask me about emhs elf.
it was so much fun.
she smiled when i was going n said she wish it had more ppl like me.  she also said that i am a good man...i replied that " me being a good man will only be proven if my son is  good man" and dai swhat i think
any way dais my tirade
WHEN last yuh  do  somin for an elderly person ..with out reward...well i lie... i got a reward..ah smile. that wa splenty
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 08:02:56 AM »
very nice post.  Thanks for sharing. :)
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 09:03:11 AM »

Well done people.

It's really not that difficult to help others in need, but sometimes we get so taken up in ourselves we just don't make the time , like stopping to help somebody clear snow or picking up some extra food for somebody.

Last year I made a committment to myself to start doing something for those in need back home and explored some possibilities.

What I discovered is that there are a large amount of big professionals in Trinidad that give of their time and personal wealth to various causes and they all remained annonymous.
I was introduced to the kids at the Princess Elizabeth home and did something with them that was linked to the Socawarriors.
The reaction of these kids to a simple gift was enough that it made this big man cry.

I have a next mission to start (apart from keeping my committment to these kids) which is to really kickoff a safe driving campaign that is sustained over a long period of time.
You see I was told that 50% of the kids that go to school or that are domiciled in the home were the victims of car accidents and that most of these were involved in accidents from as little as one year olds.
These children are beautiful and full of life most of them coming from homes where the parents just don't have the wherewithall to look after them because of the economics , I worked it out that with apparatus and daycare for these kids it could probably cost $ 4000,00 TT a mth.

So I guess what I'm saying is that if more people took the time to visit these kinds of institutions they would realise that there is help needed no matter how small it is but the reward is immeasurable
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Johpants

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 09:16:10 AM »
This is my story.

About three months ago I ran away from work to go to the mall to pick up something that I wanted to send for a friend as she was leaving the country the next day. It took a little longer than I anticipated so I was rushing out of the mall to get back to work, I had parked outside. So, on my way to the car this vagrant approached me. I recognized him as the same man who a couple of years before had done a portrait of me on Western Main Road in about two minutes - it didn't really do me justice but I digress. So I knew what he was for and as soon as he opened his mouth I politely told him that I was in a hurry and couldn't stop, he tried to delay me but I kept on walking telling him that I really didn't have the time. By that time I had arrived at my car and had to stop to open the door. So he approached the car and asked,  "I could borrow a dollar?" Now this struck me as odd so I replied, "When you paying me back?" This made him start a little but then he flashed me, no kidding, the most beautiful smile I had ever seen. I felt like I had seen Jesus in that smile and in that man. It was quite touching.

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 09:25:47 AM »
About 2-3 months ago, I bought a man something to drink outside midtown mall on Fredrick and Park. I am no Saint... and usually bypass these fellas on a daily, not thinking that my small contribution could make a difference. But the gratitude of the man was truly rewarding to me. All in all, it doesn't matter if they accept it graciously or not. The measure is not in the "kudos" you get from the person you help... but in what you yourself have gained from the experience.

Learning to receive through the gift of giving is something few people have had the priviledge of experiencing. It's so easy to treat the people you love with kindness... why not treat those who mean very little to you with the same kindness.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline nobody_s angel

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 09:28:12 AM »
This is my story.

About three months ago I ran away from work to go to the mall to pick up something that I wanted to send for a friend as she was leaving the country the next day. It took a little longer than I anticipated so I was rushing out of the mall to get back to work, I had parked outside. So, on my way to the car this vagrant approached me. I recognized him as the same man who a couple of years before had done a portrait of me on Western Main Road in about two minutes - it didn't really do me justice but I digress. So I knew what he was for and as soon as he opened his mouth I politely told him that I was in a hurry and couldn't stop, he tried to delay me but I kept on walking telling him that I really didn't have the time. By that time I had arrived at my car and had to stop to open the door. So he approached the car and asked,  "I could borrow a dollar?" Now this struck me as odd so I replied, "When you paying me back?" This made him start a little but then he flashed me, no kidding, the most beautiful smile I had ever seen. I felt like I had seen Jesus in that smile and in that man. It was quite touching.

Yuh almost made me cry with that one cause that is exactly how it feels.

truetrini

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 09:29:34 AM »
About 2-3 months ago, I bought a man something to drink outside midtown mall on Fredrick and Park. I am no Saint... and usually bypass these fellas on a daily, not thinking that my small contribution could make a difference. But the gratitude of the man was truly rewarding to me. All in all, it doesn't matter if they accept it graciously or not. The measure is not in the "kudos" you get from the person you help... but in what you yourself have gained from the experience.

Learning to receive through the gift of giving is something few people have had the priviledge of experiencing. It's so easy to treat the people you love with kindness... why not treat those who mean very little to you with the same kindness.

Yuh need to post more breds......thanks fuh sharing ah miss yuh on de board...real people here eh know yuh is ah old veteran, ah know it have ah bunch ah clowns here now and certain posters does jes make posts without thinking...me eh calling no names eh  but it TI (takes and Idiot) to do dat.  lol

Come back breds.

Offline dombasil

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 09:30:23 AM »
About two months ago this young fella appear begging for money right outside my office and in front of a cheap chinee food place that I buy food from. So 1st I thinking every time I pass him dat  he is a young flicking fella so go get a wuk. But I find that every time a pass him he looking  weaker everyday. So One day as I pass him. He asked for a dollar and I walk pass as usual. But  then I stopped, turn back gave him  a five dollar bill. Dat boy leggo one bright smile that change his whole face. I don't think a see god or nothing but I smile that whole day myself.

Offline kandi_tt

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 09:37:10 AM »
About two months ago this young fella appear begging for money right outside my office and in front of a cheap chinee food place that I buy food from. So 1st I thinking every time I pass him dat  he is a young flicking fella so go get a wuk. But I find that every time a pass him he looking  weaker everyday. So One day as I pass him. He asked for a dollar and I walk pass as usual. But  then I stopped, turn back gave him  a five dollar bill. Dat boy leggo one bright smile that change his whole face. I don't think a see god or nothing but I smile that whole day myself.

allyuh ever try to ask ah beggar fuh money an get??? yup..ah was witness to tha gift of gab by a lawyer fren ah mines...get $5.00 to put gas...
iNnOcEnT aNd UnInFoRmEd...

Offline dombasil

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 09:45:53 AM »
About two months ago this young fella appear begging for money right outside my office and in front of a cheap chinee food place that I buy food from. So 1st I thinking every time I pass him dat  he is a young flicking fella so go get a wuk. But I find that every time a pass him he looking  weaker everyday. So One day as I pass him. He asked for a dollar and I walk pass as usual. But  then I stopped, turn back gave him  a five dollar bill. Dat boy leggo one bright smile that change his whole face. I don't think a see god or nothing but I smile that whole day myself.

allyuh ever try to ask ah beggar fuh money an get??? yup..ah was witness to tha gift of gab by a lawyer fren ah mines...get $5.00 to put gas...

I filing that one under Ripley's Believe it or not?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 09:50:06 AM »
De day after ah come back from de World Cup, ah was walking up Calle de Frederick  ;D and ah hear somebody saying "Ras, Ras". Out ah de corner of meh eye ah see ah old lady but me eh pay she no mind. She call me again "Ras, Ras". Dis time ah stop and ah look around. Ah see she approaching meh wit ah yute man in ah primary school uniform. She tell me dat she and she grandchild hungry and if ah could help dem out. Ah say OK, leh we go down Independence Square and get someting. When we reach, she say dey go take some KFC. Ah say "Nah, I eh able wit dat. I eh going inside dey."  ;D. So she decide tuh take ah Mario's instead. Dey order ah large pizza wit some toppings; ah pay fuh it and ah leave dem wit de chit. Whilst ah walking out, she ask meh fuh passage tuh go home. Ah blank she wit dat one. She tell meh thanks and ah ride out.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 09:55:22 AM »
when i was in undergrad me and the frat brothers used to have a lil thanksgiving (the american holiday, not trinidad thansgving) celebration in the frat house especially for the neighborhood yutes (the area around the frat house lil downpressed).  the lil fellas them was real happy, running around, playing. they eat till they belly full.
when we finish now, is because it still have food left over so me, one of the other bruhs and a nex chick decide to carry it to a homeless shelter. we gone to where the place supposed to be but we not seeing no lights, nothing.  out of nowhere a man walk, knock on the door and gone inside, so we say ok, this is the place.  gone inside and the place is bare bones, u seeing bricks, no casting or anyting, first time i see a building so in the USof A.  we offering the ppl food and this hobo was in the corner scrubbing an enamel cup, all of a sudden the man asking us if we want hot chocolate.  when i was pledging i went thru real hell but i never cry...but that moment nearly bring tears to meh eyes.  the man had so little but still offered us something.   the ride back to campus was real quiet.

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 10:08:17 AM »
mines is ah different spin...

a few Thanksgivings ago my brother and I took some blankets downtown Washington to give to the homeless. Yuh know how luck does be....on this particular nite we couldnt find anybody(serious talk). Then low and behold we saw a woman and ah tink she had a child with her....but in any case we approach her to present the items to her.....(well knowing how it cold we expected her tuh say thanks and thing....eh heh she pelt ah flikking blank yes!......saying no she dont need...but friends it was cold and we didnt see how she could refuse. We say cool and ride out...so we continue driving around and still could not find people....eventually we just found an empty bus shelter and left dem there....next day I drove by the spot to see if the items were still there...needless to say they were gone.

The effort was made at least.

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006, 02:30:54 PM »
mines is ah different spin...

a few Thanksgivings ago my brother and I took some blankets downtown Washington to give to the homeless. Yuh know how luck does be....on this particular nite we couldnt find anybody(serious talk). Then low and behold we saw a woman and ah tink she had a child with her....but in any case we approach her to present the items to her.....(well knowing how it cold we expected her tuh say thanks and thing....eh heh she pelt ah flikking blank yes!......saying no she dont need...but friends it was cold and we didnt see how she could refuse. We say cool and ride out...so we continue driving around and still could not find people....eventually we just found an empty bus shelter and left dem there....next day I drove by the spot to see if the items were still there...needless to say they were gone.

The effort was made at least.

It would not go in vain.  It is the thought and effort that counts.

I recently read a quote in a book called "Wisdom for Life"..it goes

"HIDE THE GOOD YOU DO, AND MAKE KNOWN THE GOOD DONE TO YOU. Author Unknown.

In each of the stories written on this board, the recipients of those deeds no doubt made your good known and each and every good deed that each of you did would continue to spread.  Positive growth. :beermug: :beermug: :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2006, 04:09:10 PM »
well ah gurl in work lost her wallet and didnt have any money of food for ah week and i bought her breakfast lunch and dinner until she got all her credit cards back. (ah doh wanna beat it out no lie)

and every payday i buy a pair of boots at the navy exchange to give to the warrior nation charity(yes bally i have 6 pairs now and waiting on meh pm) but i guess its not a good deed until i actually send them to trini :(
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline nobody_s angel

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2006, 06:51:58 AM »
well ah gurl in work lost her wallet and didnt have any money of food for ah week and i bought her breakfast lunch and dinner until she got all her credit cards back. (ah doh wanna beat it out no lie)

and every payday i buy a pair of boots at the navy exchange to give to the warrior nation charity(yes bally i have 6 pairs now and waiting on meh pm) but i guess its not a good deed until i actually send them to trini :(

HEy that is a good thing you are doing with the boots. I recently went through my closet and thought that I have alot of clothes that I can donate to charity.

I know we do alot of sweats but what about a clothes drive????????

Offline Johpants

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2006, 09:44:32 AM »
Great idea Nobody's. Count me in for that. We could expand it to include shoes as well as books and sports gear etc. Who's for that?

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2006, 01:21:15 PM »
Great idea Nobody's. Count me in for that. We could expand it to include shoes as well as books and sports gear etc. Who's for that?
books...thos ei ahve lots lotsssssssssssssssssssssssss. i would like to share. so when allyuh organise.. let me knwo...for now i down witht hat
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Lil Jodie P

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2006, 02:55:26 PM »
all of these lil tidbits are really touching!
i have one of my own...recently my sister had the "grand opportunity" of spending a few days at Port of Spain General Hospital...i hate hospitals...bad memories!...but i had to go look for my sister...so i visited her everyday! anyway while she was there, there was a woman maybe four beds across from her, that everyday would ask someone visiting my sister for something...the use of a cell phone...spare friuts...something(and mind you she only asked the male visitors)...we poked fun at it...called her "daddy girlfriend" and crap like that...not for her to here...just ole talk to keep my sister in good spirits!...so one day while we were visiting...the woman just sat there crying...that broke my heart...i realised that she had no one that ever came to see her!...i later found out that she had been discharged...and she had no family that would take her...she had no place to go!!!...and that hurt me...everyday she had to watch as people came and visit with their loved ones...she was lonely. so after my sister left the hospital...i went back to look for that lady...i took fruits and snaks for her! and just talked to her a bit you know...she seemed so glad to have someone talk with her...

thats my bit!...i am down for the charity drive...lots of books and things i dont use!...might as well give someone who needs it more than me!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 02:57:33 PM by Little Jodie P »
FOREVER AND ALWAYS "Little Jodie P" :)

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2006, 08:59:05 PM »
all of these lil tidbits are really touching!
i have one of my own...recently my sister had the "grand opportunity" of spending a few days at Port of Spain General Hospital...i hate hospitals...bad memories!...but i had to go look for my sister...so i visited her everyday! anyway while she was there, there was a woman maybe four beds across from her, that everyday would ask someone visiting my sister for something...the use of a cell phone...spare friuts...something(and mind you she only asked the male visitors)...we poked fun at it...called her "daddy girlfriend" and crap like that...not for her to here...just ole talk to keep my sister in good spirits!...so one day while we were visiting...the woman just sat there crying...that broke my heart...i realised that she had no one that ever came to see her!...i later found out that she had been discharged...and she had no family that would take her...she had no place to go!!!...and that hurt me...everyday she had to watch as people came and visit with their loved ones...she was lonely. so after my sister left the hospital...i went back to look for that lady...i took fruits and snaks for her! and just talked to her a bit you know...she seemed so glad to have someone talk with her...

thats my bit!...i am down for the charity drive...lots of books and things i dont use!...might as well give someone who needs it more than me!

Niiiiiiiiiiice.  Giving the gift of oneself.  Very nice.  :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

Offline nobody_s angel

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2006, 07:26:33 AM »
Well I am glad a few of us like the idea. I have a few friends that are involved in charities that collect clothes so I will contact them about it. So when I find a charity I will let you guys know but in the mean time clean out those closets.  :)

About the books we have to remeber that the book lists have changed considerably so we have to be careful when donating school books but other books I guess will be okay.

So I will talk to my ppl and get back to everyone.

Oh and I am a Christmas person too so since we are in a giving mood maybe we can do something for Christmas for a Home. Maybe a Camp or a Sports Equipment drive, give an underpriveledged child a gift for Christmas and for the overseas ppl either organize one in your arear or there is always FEDEX.  ;)

Just some thoughts but will surely get back to everyone with the clothes drive idea.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2006, 07:54:20 AM »
Well I am glad a few of us like the idea. I have a few friends that are involved in charities that collect clothes so I will contact them about it. So when I find a charity I will let you guys know but in the mean time clean out those closets.  :)

About the books we have to remeber that the book lists have changed considerably so we have to be careful when donating school books but other books I guess will be okay.

Oh and I am a Christmas person too so since we are in a giving mood maybe we can do something for Christmas for a Home. Maybe a Camp or a Sports Equipment drive, give an underpriveledged child a gift for Christmas and for the overseas ppl either organize one in your arear or there is always FEDEX.  ;)

Just some thoughts but will surely get back to everyone with the clothes drive idea.

Hate to burst any bubbles here but most of the time you give away stuff like clothes , books etc it is used stuff that you don't want anymore and just takes up space in your cupboards or bookcase or whatever.

Giving this away could be interpreted to be that you are just doing house keeping and not giving anything of real value away.

Anyhow the Roman Catholic church does collections that they sort through and also the Salvation Army, giving the clothes and stuff to them allows the anonymity.

Christmas is a good time to give toys to the underpriveleged but you have to be guided by this.
The type of toys for different age groups etc.
Again there are NGO's that can help with this and some even advise that the best way to do it is to give them the funds and they will do everything and account for the money. Or for people wanting to send gifts from abroad , they will send you a list with toys against children's names and age for you to purchase.
Sometimes giving can get difficult and that is why I;ve said that the kind of spontaneos giving described here is special.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 08:28:35 AM by gonefishing »
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline nobody_s angel

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2006, 08:58:42 AM »

Hate to burst any bubbles here but most of the time you give away stuff like clothes , books etc it is used stuff that you don't want anymore and just takes up space in your cupboards or bookcase or whatever.

Giving this away could be interpreted to be that you are just doing house keeping and not giving anything of real value away.

Anyhow the Roman Catholic church does collections that they sort through and also the Salvation Army, giving the clothes and stuff to them allows the anonymity.

Christmas is a good time to give toys to the underpriveleged but you have to be guided by this.
The type of toys for different age groups etc.
Again there are NGO's that can help with this and some even advise that the best way to do it is to give them the funds and they will do everything and account for the money. Or for people wanting to send gifts from abroad , they will send you a list with toys against children's names and age for you to purchase.
Sometimes giving can get difficult and that is why I;ve said that the kind of spontaneos giving described here is special.

Hmm I understand exactly where you are coming from but this would not be exactly spontaneous. I know about the Catholic Church and the Salvation Army because I have given to organisations before.

I do not think that it will not be that spontaneous if we source the organisation first and decide on how we are going to do it.

Does it really matter if you go through your closet and realize that you have good clothes that you may not wear at all or clothes that may not fit and you decide to do something good with it ???

It was just an idea that still needs alot of research.

I have donated gifts to Children homes before and they have provided me with a list of names and ages. Just thought that since we have such a great group of individuals all gathered in one place we could try and do something to help someone.

Just a thought. ::)

But I understand your house cleaning comment and it did make me think.

1]; } ?>