April 18, 2024, 05:38:07 AM

Author Topic: Carlos Tevez Thread.  (Read 49495 times)

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Fergie Signs Tevez
« Reply #150 on: July 06, 2007, 09:23:07 AM »
in my dialect of spanish, galactico translated in english means big money player...

the plus 15 million pound players on that side..

Rooney
Ronaldo
Tevez
Hargreaves
Carrick
Ferdinand
Nani
Anderson

Funny how nobody talking about Man United trying to buy a trophy this season.. I guess that talk is the reserve of the Chelsea haters...

I beg to differ... I equate galactico with established stars; the most famous galactico project (Real Madrid) was built on established stars, not untried youths. It seems that Barca may be going down the same route. A "dictionary/dialect" (what dialect is this again?) definition to me is dis-ingenious given what has been established as "galactico" projects,  but we could quibble incessantly to no end.
Breds, that talk about "buying the title" is rubbish no matter who says it, or who it is directed to. EVERYBODY buys a title... you buy players to win the title, whether the player costs 15 million or 15 dollars. There are more that enough reasons to be a Chelsea-hater than that.  :devil: ;D
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 06, 2007, 09:31:49 AM »
in my dialect of spanish, galactico translated in english means big money player...

Rooney
Ronaldo
Tevez
Hargreaves
Carrick
Ferdinand
Nani
Anderson

Funny how nobody talking about Man United trying to buy a trophy this season.. I guess that talk is the reserve of the Chelsea haters...

nah Omar.Galactico is  a massive established star..Beckham, Ronaldo, Zidane, Roberto Carlos. Must also have a high profile off the field as well etc..Sorry, but none of the fellas there come close to a galactico when purchased, except Tevez (barely). And of the rest, only Rooney and Ronaldo would qualify as Galacticos now.

By the way...Robbie Kean and Jermaine DeFoe are absoluetly nothing like each other. But they're both small..which is why the won't often be paired together

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Tevez gives Alex firepower of '99- Yorke
« Reply #152 on: July 06, 2007, 09:32:38 AM »
I will keep on barking....

Tevez is the most magical player to play in England since Eric Cantona.

Europe better watch out if all the red tape with this go though.

Man Utd with Carlos Tevez is just plain unfair to the rest of the league....

GIANFRANCO ZOLAAAAAAA  ;D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 09:34:54 AM by Filho »

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 06, 2007, 09:41:49 AM »
which is why i said, "in my dialect of spanish"..

My point anyway is that Manchester United are now pelting money around like crazy and no one is making any mention of it.. Imagine the Tevez deal would take the spending over 70mil pounds!  this after crying down Chelsea for ruining the sport with their money spending habits..

I suspect the outcry about this will be at a bare minimum this season anyway cause u know the saying; What good for de goose aint good for de gander..

Man Utd are the 'preferred' team in the premiership lately and Chelsea are the team everyone loves to hate.. I need not draw reference to last season's favorable scheduling, highly favorable refereeing decisions, and a PFA XI with 8 of their players (including evra lol).

And re: Defoe and Keane... No two players are the same, but the big man/small man combination is widely regarded as the best way to achieve a balanced strike force... Its what Saha/Larsson were there for last season ie, hold up play, its what Yorke did so well in the glory days, and its what works!

I cant see Rooney holding up the ball for Tevez or vice versa.. Really interested to see how it would work..

Offline marcus

• Sr. Warrior
  • BLOOD, SWEAT & TEARS
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 06, 2007, 10:26:44 AM »

Rooney
Ronaldo
Tevez
Hargreaves
Carrick
Ferdinand
Nani
Anderson

Bredds I see where you are coming from and I understand your rationale, but I don't think you are looking far forward... So I respectfully disagree....ManU is securing a successful future... Giggs, Scholes will be moving on to the next step in the careers/lives soon... Fergie is avoiding another Roy Keane type of situation, where a sudden departure left the team a little less than stellar... Fergie is simply being proactive rather than reactionary!

Everyone is relatively young and will have time to adjust to the style of play, plus they wont have to shoulder the burden of being " The Guy" right away!

Everyone buys titles, because everyone buys players... I agree size of payroll defintely sets a team off on a path to relative success, but we need to recoqnize that alot of teams are successful but not all are champions!

Money spent does not put you on a golden pathway to success in Europe... It does set teams apart in their domestic leagues... ultimately for greater success it takes more than a deep pocket...you just have to look toward Real Madrid for a prime example!

At beginning of last season everyone doubted ManU... everyone! "we did not have the fire power up front" , "rooney and ronaldo can't mesh" , "unsettled midfield, can carrick fill keane's shoes" etc... but we proved the skeptics wrong.... with that same side that everyone doubted, we went a long way in Europe, eventually losing to the champions AC milan.

Fergie is a genius manager and his staff of coaches are the best in the business... give them props... you can say that ManU is good because they buy some of the best players in the world.... But ManU is more than just good.... they are great! and greatness takes more than money!

And this BIG striker and Small striker combination talk leading to Rooney and Tevez not being a good partnership is pack of assness... ah alot of assness! I don't even want Tevez at ManU because he is from Argentina, but since when does a team having A big guy and a small guy the standard!

What about Yorke and Cole.... Two of them was almost the same.... hmmm...

Talent rules on the day and it is a completely random and magical coindence when to strikers complement each other like that! there is no formula... so stop trying so hard to sound like a freaking football orcale

« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 10:43:42 AM by marcus »

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 06, 2007, 11:00:53 AM »
Report: Tevez moving to Utd on 2-year loan 
Associated Press, Updated 1 hour ago   STORY TOOLS:                         

print   
send   
blog     LIKE THIS STORY?

LONDON (AP) - Carlos Tevez is due to undergo a medical in Venezuela as Manchester United close in on an initial two-year loan deal for the West Ham striker.

If all goes to plan, an announcement a deal has been agreed between Tevez's adviser Kia Joorabchian and the Premier League champions could be made later on Friday.
It is understood from sources close to the discussions that Tevez will initially join United on loan with the option of a permanent three-year deal worth in excess of £30million after that.

West Ham are believed to be in line for a compensation payment for releasing Tevez's registration to Manchester United.

Summer Transfers 

Photos:
• Summer Transfer Gallery
• MLS Transfers Gallery

Stories:
• EPL Transfer List
• European Transfer List
• MLS Transfer List

Tevez is currently in Venezuela on Copa America duty and played in Argentina's win over Paraguay on Thursday night.

The plan is for Tevez to join Manchester United on their pre-season tour to American once the Copa America is over.

West Ham are understood to have had first refusal to sign Tevez on a three-year deal for £40million but declined the opportunity and gave Joorabchian written permission to begin negotiations with other clubs three weeks ago.

Two Italian clubs, one of them Serie A champions Inter Milan registered an interest, but Tevez wanted to remain in the Premier League.

Both United and Joorabchian had hoped to keep details of the deal under wraps until next week but Tevez himself let slip that he was bound for Old Trafford.

United will initially only have to pay a loan fee to Joorabchian plus wages reported to be among the highest at Old Trafford.

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson had been interested in signing Tevez after the 2006 World Cup but was put off by the terms of the deal on offer.

Tevez signed for West Ham on transfer deadline day last August and his goals - including one against United at Old Trafford on the final day of the season - were vital in the Hammers' successful battle against relegation.                                                                                                                                                                                                       

soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 06, 2007, 11:01:31 AM »
its ah done deal
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 06, 2007, 12:05:48 PM »
Although i do agree Ronaldo also has all the attributes to play as a conventional striker but the question is it worth the sacrifice of taking away his creativity from attacking defenders with the ball at his feet? In my opinion no when a big club like Man Utd can just steal a player like Berbatov from my club Spurs to play that conventional striker role.

Breds Berbatov eh going nowhere so doh get no horrors.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 06, 2007, 12:27:53 PM »
Deal In Trouble Fellas !

Skysports

West Ham chairman Eggert Magnusson insists Carlos Tevez cannot leave without the consent of the club.

Widespread reports claim Manchester United are close to signing Tevez on a two-year loan deal, with the Argentina striker likely to seal a move to Old Trafford in the next 24 hours.

However, West Ham have now moved to play down the possibility of the 23-year-old leaving Upton Park this summer by stating he still has three years to run on his contract.

Magnusson fully expects Tevez, who is currently on international duty playing in the Copa America, to return to West Ham ahead of next season.

"Carlos Tevez is a registered West Ham United player, contracted to the club until June 2010," he said in a statement on the club's official website.

"There is no agreement with West Ham United for Carlos Tevez to leave the club and we expect him to return in time for next season's preparations.

"No decision on his future can be reached without the agreement of West Ham United."

Any deal which takes Tevez to Manchester United will be under scrutiny from the Premier League and they will likely back West Ham in their stance.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 06, 2007, 01:01:54 PM »
Deal In Trouble Fellas !

Skysports

West Ham chairman Eggert Magnusson insists Carlos Tevez cannot leave without the consent of the club.

Widespread reports claim Manchester United are close to signing Tevez on a two-year loan deal, with the Argentina striker likely to seal a move to Old Trafford in the next 24 hours.

However, West Ham have now moved to play down the possibility of the 23-year-old leaving Upton Park this summer by stating he still has three years to run on his contract.

Magnusson fully expects Tevez, who is currently on international duty playing in the Copa America, to return to West Ham ahead of next season.

"Carlos Tevez is a registered West Ham United player, contracted to the club until June 2010," he said in a statement on the club's official website.

"There is no agreement with West Ham United for Carlos Tevez to leave the club and we expect him to return in time for next season's preparations.

"No decision on his future can be reached without the agreement of West Ham United."

Any deal which takes Tevez to Manchester United will be under scrutiny from the Premier League and they will likely back West Ham in their stance.

WH not stupid dey will allow this deal to go through  they will get 15 mill in 2 years due to this..

or even more if someone else buys him when the loan deal is complete...but we will have first option... have no fear

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 06, 2007, 01:58:15 PM »
Here we go again

Carlos Tevez's representatives claim the West Ham striker has agreed personal terms with Manchester United.

The Hammers attempted to play down talk of the Argentina international moving to Old Trafford on Friday evening by stating that they expect him to be part of their preparations for the new season.

West Ham chairman Eggert Magnusson also insisted that the Upton Park club would have to agree to let Tevez leave this summer.

But in response, Tevez's agent Kia Joorabchian says the former Corinthians ace has already been given permission to talk to other clubs and discussions have taken place with United.

Joorabchian claims the 23-year-old has now agreed a deal which should see him join the Premier League champions in the coming days.

"The circumstances surrounding Carlos Tevez's relationship with West Ham have been well documented in the media and footballing world," said a statement from Joorabchian's lawyers.

"We confirm that Carlos Tevez has, with the knowledge and permission of West Ham United Football Club, been in discussions with other clubs.

"Subsequently, personal terms have now been agreed with Manchester United Football Club.

"Carlos Tevez's representatives will work during the course of next week so that a move to Manchester United can be finalised as quickly as possible.

"The process for finalising the player's registration with Manchester United will be undertaken in accordance with appropriate procedures."

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=475582&CPID=8&clid=1&lid=2&title=Tevez+'agrees'+United+deal

Hurry dis deal up ....  my goddd lol

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 06, 2007, 02:12:15 PM »
But ManU is more than just good.... they are great! and greatness takes more than money!

And this BIG striker and Small striker combination talk leading to Rooney and Tevez not being a good partnership is pack of assness... ah alot of assness! I don't even want Tevez at ManU because he is from Argentina, but since when does a team having A big guy and a small guy the standard!

Talent rules on the day and it is a completely random and magical coindence when to strikers complement each other like that! there is no formula... so stop trying so hard to sound like a freaking football orcale

Marcus,

I agree with most of what you say apart from this tootoo above..

But is my fault and i apologize cause i was too general with my "big forward/small forward" analysis of what usually forms the majority of successful strike partnerships..

What i really meant... The fact is that the majority of successful systems that employ 2 forwards work on the basis of one forward to hold up the ball and another to play off of him... This is especially true in the EPL where the long ball is prevalent, and the game is physical..

Lets look at such successful type partnerships currently in the EPL:

Holdup Fwd (Bigman)           Support Fwd (Smallman)
Saha                                   Rooney                               Man Utd
Drogba                                Shevchenko                        Chelsea
Adebayor                             Henry                                 Arsenal
Crouch                                 Kuyt/Bellamy                       Liverpool (Borderline successful)
Berbatov                              Keane/Defoe                      Tottenham
Anelka                                 Diouf                                  Bolton
Kanu                                   Benjani/Lua Lua                    Portsmouth
Zamora                                Tevez                                 West Ham

Now do you see a clear pattern between the type of players in the first list and the second list and how they complement each other?? If you can't maybe football is not for you....

I'm not sure if you watched Man United football in 1999, but Yorke and Cole worked in EXACTLY the same way... Yorke was the hold up player (one of the best i've ever seen by the way) who would collect with his back to goal, and lay off to beckham, scholes and giggs or cole if he got into space.. Cole was the predator/finisher who would play off of Yorke..  Thats why that combination worked so well because they were two totally different players..

So how could you say its pure assness??

In my opinion Rooney and Tevez won't work.. Unless Fergie and Quieroz have some revolutionary new system to play dem 2 forwards, or he going and play them out of position, i feel they will get in each other's way.. By and large they play the same way..

And finally yes, for your information i am a football oracle!

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 06, 2007, 02:14:34 PM »
have any of you guys been watching the copa america? Tevez been playing that holding striker for argentina in this tournament (when he came in against usa and when he started against paraguay). i would agree that he is better playing behind the strikers but the boy can also play with the goal at his back. he has pure class like that!!! :beermug: :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #163 on: July 06, 2007, 02:18:59 PM »

Big difference between spending money over several seasons (Ferdinand was purchased 5 years ago, Ronaldo 4  and Rooney  3 plus) and spending 500 million over a shorter period.

Also a very big difference between spending money that is generated by the club i.e. the club still makes a profit, and spending money with no need to be, or hope of, balancing the books.

United are just not in Chelsea's class when it comes to having money to spend an these purchases represent a significant gamble. For all yuh know this could be a prelude to Ronaldo getting sold next year for a 50 million to cover the cost. Chelsea on the other hand could afford to let expensive purchases (Crespo, Veron, Duff, Johnson, Mutu) go for nothing or next to nothing.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 06, 2007, 02:21:28 PM »
have any of you guys been watching the copa america? Tevez been playing that holding striker for argentina in this tournament (when he came in against usa and when he started against paraguay). i would agree that he is better playing behind the strikers but the boy can also play with the goal at his back. he has pure class like that!!! :beermug: :beermug:

No doubt he's class but big, big difference between the Copa America and the EPL...

Much more physical and harder to play like that in England.. I saw him get some serious rough up in the EPL before he start dropping deep and running at defenders and that was where he was most successful...

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #165 on: July 06, 2007, 02:32:23 PM »
Thank you Fordy.

Rooney and Tevez have similar styles butto comapre them to that list with Diouf, Keane, Defoe etc is folly because they are much better players than those listed.

They both have something which most of those others don't and that is an immense physical presence despite their size.

I believe it is possible to make them work so it is not as gloomy as the naysayers make it out to be.

I would just like Saha to be available as he brings more pace and size to the table which will have its advantages in certain situations, plus you can't rely on just two strikers. Saha, Rooney and Tevez could easily go into a seamless 3 man rotation.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 06, 2007, 02:39:29 PM »
Whatever with that common Man United fan "We spend our money with class" argument....

In the 90s you were spending all the money in football buying up the best players, but now you cant stand it that there's a new kid on the block.. All of a sudden cause there's a bigger, badder wolf in town, we hear all the talk about morals, ethics etc etc..

To be honest i find it refreshing that a new team came in put the investment forward, and broke up the man utd/arsenal monopoly on english football...

All the other talk directed Chelsea's way just boils down to territorial behavior

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 06, 2007, 02:39:46 PM »

No doubt he's class but big, big difference between the Copa America and the EPL...

Much more physical and harder to play like that in England.. I saw him get some serious rough up in the EPL before he start dropping deep and running at defenders and that was where he was most successful...

i agree...one is ah tournament and the other is several months long...but the kinda players he had at west ham when he was playing with his back to goal is totally different to the options he have running off de ball for him now. thats why i drew the comparison with argentina cause everywhere he look on dat team de man have options. thats how its going to be at manu. teams now would have to study who they trying to stop...tevez...rooney...ronaldo...saha (once he fit)...and doh sleep on scholes coming from even deeper!!!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 06, 2007, 02:42:47 PM »
Any opinions on why Tevez would want to stay in England?

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 06, 2007, 02:45:23 PM »

1. he have ah point to prove because he played for a shit team and keep them up in de prem so what can he do with quality around him is yet to be seen.

2. his other option may have been barcelona but they already bought henry.

3. juventus may be ah good fit now thinkin bout it!!!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 06, 2007, 02:46:48 PM »
He stated he wants to stay in England... he said his heart is in the premier league

Rooney will play the top striker..this is when he is most dangerous because he still roams about but he scores many goals when playing this position eg last season when saha was injured rooney took over sah's spot

but i honestly think it will be a 4-3-3

--VDS--

--Gaz--        --Rio--                  --Vida---      --Heinze/Evra--

--Hargreaves---

--Carrick--                   --Scholes---

--CR7--         --Wazza--      --Tevez--

3 top players interchanging alot with rooney and tevez changing CF role.. and CR7 changing LF and Rf

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 06, 2007, 02:48:47 PM »
He stated he wants to stay in England... he said his heart is in the premier league

Rooney will play the top striker..this is when he is most dangerous because he still roams about but he scores many goals when playing this position eg last season when saha was injured rooney took over sah's spot

--VDS--

--Hargreaves---

3 top players interchanging alot with rooney and tevez changing CF role.. and CR7 changing LF and Rf

yuh  might have ah nice line up there. so where dem young boys fergie jus buy go play in dat system????

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 06, 2007, 03:03:34 PM »

--VDS--

--Hargreaves---

yuh  might have ah nice line up there. so where dem young boys fergie jus buy go play in dat system????

well they will need time to develop and become accustom with the style of epl so they will play league cup games and other league games as well as CL...this season is to groom them

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 06, 2007, 03:08:32 PM »
another signing lol

he will join july 2008

ne1 know him?

Manchester United sign Rodrigo Possebom

Nome: Rodrigo Pereira Possebom
Altura: 1m84cm
Peso: 76Kg

As they advance some Brazilian periodicals, the Manchester United finishes to contract the young right lateral Rodrigo Possebom of only 18 years. The player of the International blunted the interest of the technician of the United in the edition of the Nike Cup of 2005 where Possebom was in great evidence for equips Brazilian and since this height that has come to be observed regularly. The Manchester United will have pay about 350 a thousand euros to equips Brazilian. “Still they lack to sign some papers, but we are made right verbally. The two clubs had also entered in agreement, as much that I practically nor trainings more”, Rodrigo Possebom counted. “It is the accomplishment of a dream, with certainty. It always wanted to play there. Certainly I go to be colleague of the Anderson (former-Bosom). People already had some contact in Porto Alegre here but, as we will be two Brazilians in England, we go to talk more”, added the lateral. The player will have to arrive the Manchester in the next days to initial contract and to present it the orders of Brian McClair, technician of equips of reserves of the club. Possebom now was only contracted by the Manchester given United that exists a law that forbade the young Brazilians with less than 18 years and to head to the United kingdom

another source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodrigo_Pereira_Possebom

Offline marcus

• Sr. Warrior
  • BLOOD, SWEAT & TEARS
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 06, 2007, 03:34:21 PM »

Rooney
Ronaldo
Tevez
Hargreaves
Carrick
Ferdinand
Nani
Anderson

Bredds I see where you are coming from and I understand your rationale, but I don't think you are looking far forward... So I respectfully disagree....ManU is securing a successful future... Giggs, Scholes will be moving on to the next step in the careers/lives soon... Fergie is avoiding another Roy Keane type of situation, where a sudden departure left the team a little less than stellar... Fergie is simply being proactive rather than reactionary!

Everyone is relatively young and will have time to adjust to the style of play, plus they wont have to shoulder the burden of being " The Guy" right away!

Everyone buys titles, because everyone buys players... I agree size of payroll defintely sets a team off on a path to relative success, but we need to recoqnize that alot of teams are successful but not all are champions!

Money spent does not put you on a golden pathway to success in Europe... It does set teams apart in their domestic leagues... ultimately for greater success it takes more than a deep pocket...you just have to look toward Real Madrid for a prime example!

At beginning of last season everyone doubted ManU... everyone! "we did not have the fire power up front" , "rooney and ronaldo can't mesh" , "unsettled midfield, can carrick fill keane's shoes" etc... but we proved the skeptics wrong.... with that same side that everyone doubted, we went a long way in Europe, eventually losing to the champions AC milan.

Fergie is a genius manager and his staff of coaches are the best in the business... give them props... you can say that ManU is good because they buy some of the best players in the world.... But ManU is more than just good.... they are great! and greatness takes more than money!
But ManU is more than just good.... they are great! and greatness takes more than money!

Marcus,

I agree with most of what you say apart from this tootoo above..

But is my fault and i apologize cause i was too general with my "big forward/small forward" analysis of what usually forms the majority of successful strike partnerships..

What i really meant... The fact is that the majority of successful systems that employ 2 forwards work on the basis of one forward to hold up the ball and another to play off of him... This is especially true in the EPL where the long ball is prevalent, and the game is physical..

Lets look at such successful type partnerships currently in the EPL:

Holdup Fwd (Bigman)           Support Fwd (Smallman)
Saha                                   Rooney                               Man Utd
Drogba                                Shevchenko                        Chelsea
Adebayor                             Henry                                 Arsenal
Crouch                                 Kuyt/Bellamy                       Liverpool (Borderline successful)
Berbatov                              Keane/Defoe                      Tottenham
Anelka                                 Diouf                                  Bolton
Kanu                                   Benjani/Lua Lua                    Portsmouth
Zamora                                Tevez                                 West Ham

Now do you see a clear pattern between the type of players in the first list and the second list and how they complement each other?? If you can't maybe football is not for you....

I'm not sure if you watched Man United football in 1999, but Yorke and Cole worked in EXACTLY the same way... Yorke was the hold up player (one of the best i've ever seen by the way) who would collect with his back to goal, and lay off to beckham, scholes and giggs or cole if he got into space.. Cole was the predator/finisher who would play off of Yorke..  Thats why that combination worked so well because they were two totally different players..

So how could you say its pure assness??

In my opinion Rooney and Tevez won't work.. Unless Fergie and Quieroz have some revolutionary new system to play dem 2 forwards, or he going and play them out of position, i feel they will get in each other's way.. By and large they play the same way..

And finally yes, for your information i am a football oracle!

I definitely agree that is how Yorke and Cole played, but they both assumed those two roles interchangably at times, with Yorke being the back to goal striker more often... you are correct in making that point which is already well known fact by everyone!

However, besides for Drogba and Shevchenko, I find it very hard to transpose Yorke and Cole's (holdup man and support man) style to the other strike partnerships you mentioned above... I follow the prem very extensively, you might want to refresh your memory of this past season by looking at some matches on your TIVO's or probably go to youtube and get some highlights or something...

ManU plays differently since the era of Yorke and Cole... the ball is held up in Midfield much more now like how Arsenal plays... attacking with quick passes, thru balls and direct runs on at defenders... ManU objective back in 1999 was to get the ball out wide, to utilize Giggsy pace, Beckham's crossing and the dominance of Yorke and Cole's superior heading, also the ball was played to Yorke alot just outside the 20yd box, this served to coverge the defence, and that it was kicked out wide or played quickly onto a streaking Cole... this is not so today... Saha and Rooney do not play like that... Saha is the front man, that latches on to thru balls and Rooney runs at defence's... Midfielders like Scholes, control ball possession looking for kinks in the armor... Ronaldo and Giggsy stretchs defence's wide to create lane in the middle... that is the ManU attack today!!! Tevez can more than play the role of speedy front man looking for thru passes etc... And to suggest that Rooney does not do work, is not only ridiculous but shows a total disregard for the knowledge base of the forumites on this site... because Rooney works and works his ass off, sometimes I forget he is a forward because he spends so much time all over the field... ball hawk!

Adebayor is defintely not a hold up man, he is a poacher and a lover of the thru ball... Henry's style is a combination of both, with van persie and fabregas combining on quick one twos, also I noticed arsenal wing backs tend to join the play going forward more last season... stretching the defence and bringing in tons of crosses... Anelka he is at his best when he runs at defence's I have to admit I did not see alot of Bolton's game last season... Kanu has lost alot speed, but he is no lay off man! Ok I am tired!  In short it looks like you are listing a slower bigger man as hold up striker and who ever is the faster more nibble guy as the supporter, without regard for how they actually play!!!!!

I don't want to go back and forth on this so lets just agree to disagree!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 03:51:19 PM by marcus »

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 06, 2007, 03:39:27 PM »

--VDS--

--Hargreaves---

You  really have a nice lineup there Small Mag (never mind you leave out "old man" Giggsy).
That forward line or any combination of t he available players could work. All this talk of "this one can't play with that one" is rubbish IMO.

FYI, Tevez agrees terms:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/6276064.stm
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 03:45:44 PM by Cantona007 »
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Tevez gives Alex firepower of '99- Yorke
« Reply #176 on: July 07, 2007, 07:35:15 AM »
Man Utd were just about good enough last season when Saha was injured but by no means were they unstoppable. A depleted Chelsea side took Man Utd till the penultimate game. Im gonna tell you now that a proud man like Mourinho wants that tittle back bad. If youre happy as Man Utd supporter to go into the new season with one conventional striker with physical presence then thats your choice. But if i was a Man Utd supporter i would be asking serious questions if another striker like Berbatov or Santa Cruz isnt bought bearing in mind the massive amounts bought on the other guys who i would argue are not as important as someone like Berbatov.

What kind of revisionism is this? “Depleted Chelsea team” Who deplete them, not their own management?

And I also seem to remember United playing with several injuries, Saha, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra out for significant spells.

Last time I checked Berbatov was not for sale so there is no sense in harping over buying him. It is not an either or situation and if Tevez is bought there will be no other big-money striker coming in again.

Don’t try to tie up nobody head about how you would be worrying if you was a United fan. That is wishful thinking.

Study how yuh going to play Lampard Number One (Ballack) and Lampard Number Two (Lampard) in the same midfield again and play one setta long ball for Shevchenko.

United have potential for success and potential for problems and so does Chelsea so please don’t try to make it seem like things so sweet down at Chelsea.

I am no Chelsea fan. Im a Spurs man. And i am not trying to take away from Man Utd's achievements of winning the Premiership last season. Why would I, I support Spurs? If you need to hear me say it i will say it- Man Utd deserved to win the tittle.

I am just objectively responding to Dwight Yorke's comments that after the Tevez signing Man Utd will be unstoppable. I disagree for all the reasons i have already said earlier in this topic. I am saying that Man Utd will not be unstoppable unless/until they get another striker in the mold of Berbatov not necessarily him if Spurs wont sell him but someone like him. Thats why i also threw in a name like Santa Cruz.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 07, 2007, 10:08:20 AM »

money....

oh yeah..that..and he's a frigging slave owned by a consortium of men who decide where he'll go and when

truetrini

« Reply #178 on: July 07, 2007, 10:27:52 AM »

1. he have ah point to prove because he played for a shit team and keep them up in de prem so what can he do with quality around him is yet to be seen.

what shit team is dat?  West Ham is NOT a shit team fella.

and if Tevez could jes leave wesh ham and play fuh manure den west ham shoulda get docked points and demoted...epl bullshit

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 07, 2007, 09:26:08 PM »

what shit team is dat?  West Ham is NOT a shit team fella.

and if Tevez could jes leave wesh ham and play fuh manure den west ham shoulda get docked points and demoted...epl bullshit

Tevez is under contract to West Ham for the next three years... they are however exploring a loan deal to Man U. so it's not an outright transfer as some are implying.

1]; } ?>