April 28, 2024, 09:25:27 PM

Author Topic: MLS Blank Celtic Move for Shalrie Joseph  (Read 2877 times)

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
MLS Blank Celtic Move for Shalrie Joseph
« on: August 31, 2006, 11:06:56 AM »
not a trini but one of the best caribbean players in MLS. grenada eh too far from we anyhow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/5301328.stm

Celtic fail with bid for US star

Joseph is under contract until 2008

Celtic have failed with a $1m offer for New England Revolution's Grenada-born midfielder Shalrie Joseph, according to the player's agent.

Ron Waxman told the Boston Globe: "The league said no to the offer. They were not going to sell during the season.

"It was a wonderful opportunity to play for one of the great clubs in the world and to play in the Champions League.

"I understand it, but I am saddened by it. They don't want to sell because it sends the wrong message to fans."

Joseph, who played against Celtic in a pre-season friendly, is contracted to the Boston-based side until 2008.

And Major League Soccer holds the contracts of all players in the United States' top flight.

"I hope Celtic coming in for him sends a message as to how good a player he really is," Waxman added.

"I believe he could get on a plane and step off in any country in Europe and not look out of place on any team in any league.

"It's not that Shalrie wanted to abandon the Revolution, but this was a chance to make way more money and also to play in the Champions League against Benfica and Manchester United.

"Not very many teams have come to the MLS specifically to get a player for the Champions League."

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: MLS Blank Celtic Move for Shalrie Joseph
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 11:16:07 AM »
Well i tell you that is harsh
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 11:24:20 AM »
MLS is a dead-end!

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 11:26:46 AM »
Dat is real shit!!

Fire for de MLS!!

What bad message that sending? dat only making de fans know that de league good!!

steups!!

thank God he is not a trini, otherwise i woulda cry!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 11:38:35 AM »
I agree Andre, that is BS.  Let de man go.  MLS getting paid and now the man cyar get paid?

I live in the states and I think that is wrong.  Is the same thing MLS do with Eddie Johnson
Arimian to meh heart

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
  • Intercol Champion 94' w/ Princes Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 12:01:34 PM »
A prem team also offered 2 million for Clint Dempsey and the MLS turn it down last month.  at leats he only under contract till next year. So he could move for free after that. MLS is real boo yes.
...with Blacksmith, Dogfoot, Jurawan and dem

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 12:04:19 PM »
 :'( :'(

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 12:20:49 PM »
that is real crap yes...man miss out on a helluva opportunity
Back in Trini...

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 12:24:42 PM »

So they supposed to just give up their top players just so?

Those players are the best in MLS and they can't lose them if they don't have other stars lined up or getting serious $$ for them.

Who tell Joseph to sign a long term contract with MLS?

If teams want him bad enough he will eventually make the move.

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 12:59:04 PM »
not a trini but one of the best caribbean players in MLS. grenada eh too far from we anyhow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/5301328.stm

Celtic fail with bid for US star

Joseph is under contract until 2008

Celtic have failed with a $1m offer for New England Revolution's Grenada-born midfielder Shalrie Joseph, according to the player's agent.

Ron Waxman told the Boston Globe: "The league said no to the offer. They were not going to sell during the season.

"It was a wonderful opportunity to play for one of the great clubs in the world and to play in the Champions League.

"I understand it, but I am saddened by it. They don't want to sell because it sends the wrong message to fans."

Joseph, who played against Celtic in a pre-season friendly, is contracted to the Boston-based side until 2008.

And Major League Soccer holds the contracts of all players in the United States' top flight.

"I hope Celtic coming in for him sends a message as to how good a player he really is," Waxman added.

"I believe he could get on a plane and step off in any country in Europe and not look out of place on any team in any league.

"It's not that Shalrie wanted to abandon the Revolution, but this was a chance to make way more money and also to play in the Champions League against Benfica and Manchester United.

"Not very many teams have come to the MLS specifically to get a player for the Champions League."

fans?? WHAT FANS?
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 01:01:57 PM »
Similar ting hapen wit Stern John back in de day. 

Nottingham Forest broker a deal wit MLS fuh Stern to move dey.  In de contract it had dat in addition to what dey did done pay fuh Stern...if he did score man dan X amounta goals in dah season....de payment woulda raise SUBSTANTIALLY.

Well season comin down to de end...Forest done in financial difficulties arready....Stern scorin regular (those were the days   ;D ) ....Forest end up sellin he off to a nex club to avoid havin to pay de "penalty" fuh Stern reachin de scorin mark.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 01:07:50 PM »
mls is a real bush league. the only interests i have in it is shaka, sealy, glen. and i hope glen gets out of there fast.
Hart for president

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 01:37:09 PM »
dat woulda hurt me as a player. dat is a nice move for a talented soldier

but I understand MLS stance. they trying to build the league and marquee players will get held. celtic hadda come with more money than that. If they really want the player $1MM is real small money. Even MLS has their price and woulda sell Celtic had come through with a more decent price. I sure the man worth $3-$5MM. Celtic playing around...dey want to take one of the leagues best midfielders and offering small change. no surprise there

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2006, 04:19:10 PM »
Beasley joins City on loan deal
Story Tools:       
  Print    Email    Blog This   
RivalsDM
Posted: 17 minutes ago     

Manchester City have bolstered their midfield by signing American winger DaMarcus Beasley from PSV Eindhoven.

SUMMER TRANSFERS

Photo Gallery
• Summer Transfers

Stories
• Transfer List

The 24-year-old has moved to Eastlands on a one-season loan deal, and replaces Antoine Sibierski who joined Newcastle.

Beasley passed a medical examination at the club on Thursday and agreed to the deal just before the European transfer deadine passed, City said on its Web site.

Beasley, capped 57 times by the United States, appeared for his country at the World Cup in both 2002 and 2006.

He reportedly had been considering a return to MLS to play for Real Salt Lake.

Claudio Reyna, the former U.S. captain, also plays for Manchester City.

The former Chicago Fire player also helped PSV reach the Champions League semifinals in 2005, leading the Eredivisie two-time champions in goals during their European campaign.

At the 2006 World Cup in Germany, Beasley provided the assist to goalscorer Clint Dempsey against Ghana — the only goal scored by the Americans in the competition.

Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 07:48:22 PM »
The players aAssociation needs to get more involved to take away so much power from thleague.  The team should have the power of dealing its players not the league.  they hindering of the players.  It is interesting that they let Damarcus Beasley go, they would have let Josh Wolff go but they hold onto Shalrie.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006, 08:07:10 PM »

So they supposed to just give up their top players just so?

Those players are the best in MLS and they can't lose them if they don't have other stars lined up or getting serious $$ for them.

Who tell Joseph to sign a long term contract with MLS?

If teams want him bad enough he will eventually make the move.
well ah think dey going and lose Dempsey on ah Bosman next season lol
is true them fellas real stupid for signing long term contracts and then getting real small change..ah wonder if some of them ent have confidence in their own ability and just settling for the first offer that comes in hand, which happens to be the MLS offer.
Worrying bout losing there best players is a poor argument.
if them fellas go abroad and actually handle it well, then the exposure they get on that stage will be 10 times as much as they woulda ever get if they had satyed in MLS.
Then young kids growing up seeing that it actually have American players on the world stage will be more interested in football.
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006, 09:28:07 PM »
So dem fellas on Fox Football Fone was quarreling bout how the MLS blank  Dempsey.  Ah go be honest though; that fee for Shari should be higher, cause ah feel he still have a lot of upside potential.  That is a league he is built for, plus he have a lil more finesse than the average player in that league.  He must be cussing the league.  I wasn't showing upp for practice and they would ah have to trade my ass.  sorry.  Is disobedience, but Celtic is a very good club that will be playing in the Champions League.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 09:38:59 AM by Tenorsaw »

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2006, 01:58:06 PM »
Then young kids growing up seeing that it actually have American players on the world stage will be more interested in football.

I hear you. However I get the impression that US sports fans have a very insular (is that the right word?) approach to sports. Arent too concerned with the world stage unless you are talking the US competing against the world in the World Cup. From that perspective I could see why having players in the local league is more of a precedence to the MLS. The youths who looking at the world stage probably already have a decent interest in the sport.

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2006, 07:46:24 PM »

... not good news for Shalrie Joseph.  The man has consistently been playing good ball: usually on the MLS best XI, and wasn't he voted league MVP two years ago.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2006, 11:12:09 PM »
A good player will always get more chances.  Some of allyuh behaving like de man condemned to play MLS for de rest of he life.  Dem is he employer and he under contract.  Is a hard luck thing.  I hope he gets more chances after de season over.  He deserve it.

The player's agent is kicks yes.  Dem does get money to turn an ant hill into a mountain.  Man talking bout Champions League and playing against Beneifica and Man U.  We really doh know if he would make de bench or dey if wanted him to play second team football and groom him.  Dis statement even worse.  "I believe he could get on a plane and step off in any country in Europe and not look out of place on any team in any league."   Anyway as I always say every man entitled to their opinion even when it's paid for.

1]; } ?>