April 28, 2024, 06:41:40 PM

Author Topic: Who is to blame? The youths or adults?  (Read 7122 times)

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Who is to blame? The youths or adults?
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2006, 05:19:22 PM »
Welcome back Pecan. Ah was wondering how ah wasn't seeing you in the General Discussion.

Mr Organic...the problem here is one of double standards.

We teaching the youths to do as we say but not as we do. It is not OK for adult to adult and the same time say it is not good for child to adult. We sending the wrong message there.

Sorry but now a days children don't get the teaching that we older ones got and we cannot expect them to have the experience that we have. They have not learned what respect really is. You mad disrespect someone older that yourself back in the day. Under no circumstances. They could ah be the biggest jackass around, makes no difference. Because we went through that and we don't want that for our kids it is we the parents who telling them to only respect someone who respect them, no matter what their age is.

Example: It had a old man in the village that used to be drunk/cuss/interfear with we as kids but all we used to do is run away and probably make remarks under we breath....now the youths cussing the man..'normal normal'.. and is no big deal. Why because he is a drunkard etc......And their parents backing them too.

Another example: you get licks in school....long time if your parents here is more licks when you get home...now a days the parents beating up the teacher and telling them "do lash meh child"

As far as they see it we on the internet and on the internet have no age.....which is quite true , but that is what we are teaching them.

truetrini

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2006, 06:55:36 PM »
I actually read almost every post on this thread ... good thread

Nice to be back after being away for almost three weeks.

So here is my point of view

Respectful behaviour is a value that is acquired over life and is learnt from the community.

So ultimately, it falls to the elders in a society to initiate the teaching.  However, based on anecdotal observations, behaving in a respectful manner is not something that is acquired after a single lesson,  I believe that the learning is continuous, until the end of our lives.

The adults have the advantage of years experience in which to differentiate between disrespectful and respectful behaviour.  A disrespectful child is easier to tolerate because we can give him/her the benefit of doubt and use the moment as an opportunity to teach.  An adult, on the other hand, should know better.  Unfortunately, many adults, myself included, sometimes lapse.  Hopfully, we can recognize the behaviour and consciously try to modify our behaviour based on these experiences.  But look at the world today, and many adults do not seem to understand respect and at the extreme situation, these behaviours often manifest in hostility between individuals and wars between nations.

Organic, by and large, I think you hit the nail on the head in your post (although I disagree with your point that adult to adults is different that youth to elder).

TT, I think you are still missing the point despite your protestations that you "doh take he on".

Just imagine .... if someone disses you, instead of reacting in similar bad behaviour, we used that moment to teach ... just imagine what such a community would look like.

As adults, we have that opportunity.

And this cyber community is just as real as a real community.  Ppl meet and interact.  In fact, what we say and do is recorded for all to see.  How many ppl have found out the hard way that what they write can come back to haunt them.

I hear allyuh.  But allyuh seem to forget dat is we trini style to buss ah cuss and to hit fatigue and picong.

If it too much fuh yuh tuh bear......den doh start nutten.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2006, 07:05:30 PM »
fatigue an picong is one ting ... sincere disrespect is another.  de trick is knowing where de line is an not to cross it.  Sometimes doh, the line is different for de two ppl involved and dat is where de trouble is start.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

truetrini

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2006, 08:29:47 PM »
fatigue an picong is one ting ... sincere disrespect is another.  de trick is knowing where de line is an not to cross it.  Sometimes doh, the line is different for de two ppl involved and dat is where de trouble is start.

well allyuh jes getting tuh know TI, I deal with he on plenty different levels already.  if yuh know de whole story, de man is ah level clown and ah serious ass

1]; } ?>