March 28, 2024, 02:20:27 AM

Author Topic: Boy dies after football match  (Read 2633 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Boy dies after football match
« on: August 31, 2006, 11:00:32 PM »
Boy dies after football match
By: ANIKA GUMBS (Newsday)

Thursday, August 31 2006

ONE month after 18-year-old Melvin Moses died from an injury sustained during a football match, his family is seeking answers as to why his medical condition was never treated at San Fernando General Hospital (SFGH).
An autopsy revealed Moses died of haemorrhagic pancreatitis (bleeding of the pancreas) caused by an impact to the lower abdomen.
Grief-stricken sister, Sharon Moses, 38, of Sheila La Morell Drive, Palo Seco, said her brother was struck when he collided with another player on July 10. The incident happened at the Rancho Quemado Primary School grounds. On July 13, Moses complained of stomach pains. He was admitted to the Point Fortin Area Hospital.
On July 15, Moses was transferred to the Accident and Emergency (A&E) department at the SFGH. After an X-ray was done, Moses spent a night at the institution and was discharged the following day.
However, after complaining of stomach pains, family members rushed him to the Penal Medical Centre. After being medically examined, Moses was taken to the SFGH by an ambulance where he was re-admitted to the A&E department. Doctors ordered an ultrasound examination be done.
According to the test, Moses’ pancreas gland was damaged as a result of an impact.
Moses remained at the SFGH for five days. He was discharged with the advice to family members that he not consume milk, juice or any foods containing fat, sugar or salt.
But while at home, Moses began experiencing breathing problems and was again taken to the SFGH. He was re-admitted to ward nine. Sharon said that doctors there informed her that their brother had taken a turn for the worse. Moses was transferred to the Seventh Day Aventist Hospital in Cocorite where he died within hours.
“My brother’s death could have been avoided...... why must persons lives be ripped away. They did not diagnose his condition at the San Fernando hospital,” Sharon said. Contacted for a response, Communications Officer at the South-West Regional Health Authority, Nalini Parasram, issued a release in which she stated: “Mr Moses was admitted to the SFGH on three occasions — July 14, 15 and 24.
An investigation has been launched into his family’s allegations."

DEAD: Melvin Moses, died one month after receiving a blow in a football match....

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Boy dies after football match
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 01:11:12 AM »
A real tragedy. Doesn't look like he was given the right attention while at the hospitals.

Rest in peace Melvin, suffering is over

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 01:21:30 AM »
A sad loss, sympathies to his family in this difficult time.

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 05:23:17 AM »
RIP

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 06:24:34 AM »
RIP. This real sad. I remember last year a next youth man died after being admitted for a broken leg. To start discussing this would be a whole long story.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 06:50:03 AM »
INCOMPETENCE AS PER THE NORM. Since nobody like to sue them places nothing EVER gets resolved. That crap would not fly here at all in the US

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 07:36:47 AM »
INCOMPETENCE AS PER THE NORM. Since nobody like to sue them places nothing EVER gets resolved. That crap would not fly here at all in the US

No?  Yuh remember the American gridiron player fuh de Minnesota Vikings who did dead from heat exhaustion after trainin in full equipment in a heat wave a couple years ago?  Besides he life insurance policy, how much yuh think he widow did receive?  And he is a professional athlete.  The US eh exempt from de ting.  YES...is a litigous society where people does sue dey neighbour if dey ketch a cold attendin a party dey was invited to, but dat doh mean it does RESOLVE anyting.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 07:42:00 AM »
sorry palos i dont get yuh...the man died after numerous visits to the hospital..you cant compare that to a man who died on the field while practising...two different things altogther...

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 08:00:51 AM »
sorry palos i dont get yuh...the man died after numerous visits to the hospital..you cant compare that to a man who died on the field while practising...two different things altogther...

Fair enough.  So basically wha u sayin is people cyah dead in de US after numerous visits to de hospital.  In oddah words...de hospital personnel screw up.  I kinda find dat hard to believe it cyah happen in de US eh...but ah go take allyuh word.  I eh know of any examples of dat there.

The point skywalker makin is correct....ah mean...jes de oddah day home, ah tink ah did read a woman had a chile after goin to Mt Hope and dey discharge she sayin she wasnt pregnant...sumting so.  NOw is that the norm?  No.  But it did happen.  In dis day and age, dem ting eh suppose to happen.  But to say it cyah happen in de US....I sceptical.  Jes like T&T...it eh supposed to happen...but cyah happen?  Doubtful.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 08:35:54 AM »

Fair enough.  So basically wha u sayin is people cyah dead in de US after numerous visits to de hospital.  In oddah words...de hospital personnel screw up.  I kinda find dat hard to believe it cyah happen in de US eh...but ah go take allyuh word.  I eh know of any examples of dat there.

The point skywalker makin is correct....ah mean...jes de oddah day home, ah tink ah did read a woman had a chile after goin to Mt Hope and dey discharge she sayin she wasnt pregnant...sumting so.  NOw is that the norm?  No.  But it did happen.  In dis day and age, dem ting eh suppose to happen.  But to say it cyah happen in de US....I sceptical.  Jes like T&T...it eh supposed to happen...but cyah happen?  Doubtful.

skywalker isn't saying that it can't happen in the U.S. Stuff like that can and do happen everywhere, but because of the nature of society here in the States, people are more accountable for their shortcomings though litigation, and as a result the likelihood is far less, and the repercussions such instances more severe....
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 11:47:29 AM »

skywalker isn't saying that it can't happen in the U.S. Stuff like that can and do happen everywhere, but because of the nature of society here in the States, people are more accountable for their shortcomings though litigation, and as a result the likelihood is far less, and the repercussions such instances more severe....

is jes dat we doh hear about this on a regular basis....dem hospitals doh want dem ting coming out.....chek it... some time ago a man was found dead in one ah dem University hospitals waiting room or the bathroom some time ago and nobody didden notice him for a while. is de same ting..same ting.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 11:50:21 AM »

thank you

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006, 11:59:38 AM »

thank you

Just over the summer one of meh pardners father (who is in trini)was misdiagnosed at a local hospital and had to be rushed for emergency surgery at a private facility, when meh pardner suggested that they pursue litigation, all the family start to back off saying it was "not the right time", nutting would come outta dat, and the list goes on. How is it this still continues unchecked by the Ministry of Health, exactly who is in charge of all those cases. We in 2006 yuh know, not 1906 C'mon people have to start to be held accountable for them ting man!

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2006, 11:59:59 AM »
is jes dat we doh hear about this on a regular basis....dem hospitals doh want dem ting coming out.....chek it... some time ago a man was found dead in one ah dem University hospitals waiting room or the bathroom some time ago and nobody didden notice him for a while. is de same ting..same ting.
again it is not the same...we dont know if they diagnose the man nothing...the man couldah be taking a shit and dead..we dont know..these things happen regulalry in trinidad which is why alot of people think that the govt white elephant (850 mil complex) should not be built and the money used to upgrade hospital services!!!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 12:01:36 PM by duscam »

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006, 12:02:37 PM »
I had a nephew-in-law who got injured (an accidental kick to his shin if I remember correctly) playing football in school many years ago in Trinidad.  The injury was not treated properly and got worse.  It turned cancerous, he lost his leg and eventually died before he left his teens.  

It's a very sad situation and my sympathy goes out to the family of this boy.  May he rest in peace.
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2006, 12:10:42 PM »
There are many cases of similar occurences in North America, and like Trinidad it is not the norm. There are good and bad doctors everywhere, however T&T where there is a shortage of doctors in the public health system would be more prone to such a thing, and less capable of covering it up or losing it in the statistics. There is such a thing as second opinion, yet not everyone is capable of affording such, but if yuh really know something to be wrong (3 times), then yuh better afford at least the time, and deal with the incompetency later.

Offline whistler91

• Full Warrior
  • Love, Respect, Honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2006, 12:11:01 PM »
My prayers for his family so that they can deal with the current situation at this point in time. Very Unfortunate.
There is no force like success, and that is why the individual makes all effort to surround himself throughout life with the evidence of it; as of the individual, so should it be of the nation.

1]; } ?>