March 28, 2024, 08:01:14 AM

Author Topic: Think Mr. Gill might regret this statement say in 6 months or so?  (Read 2580 times)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Think Mr. Gill might regret this statement say in 6 months or so?
« on: September 03, 2006, 03:07:19 PM »
Source: Soccernet.com

Man Utd rejected chance to sign Tevez - Gill

Manchester United 'were never interested' in Carlos Tevez and turned down the opportunity to sign Javier Mascherano, according to the club's chief executive David Gill.

The arrival of the two Argentinian internationals at West Ham on transfer deadline day sparked a major debate over just how the Londoners had managed to beat the likes of United, Arsenal and Chelsea to their signatures.

However, Gill revealed that as late as last week, United had the chance to snap up Mascherano on a short-term deal.

He said: 'We were never interested in Tevez. Mascherano, we were offered him.

'We watched him throughout last season and he played at the World Cup, clearly. We were offered him at the start of the summer transfer window for a significant sum.

'The manager and his staff did not want to pursue that. We were also offered him towards the back end of last week in a loan-type deal for a year, and again we were not interested in that.

'From Manchester United's perspective, Tevez was never on the shopping list. Mascherano we watched closely and very carefully and the experts on that area in our club determined that we did not want to go for him.'

United have refused to rule out making another bid for Bayern Munich's Owen Hargreaves in January.

Gill admitted their interest in the midfielder, who played a starring role in England's 5-0 defeat of Andorra at Old Trafford yesterday, would persist despite Bayern's refusal to sell this summer.

He told BBC Radio 5 Live's Sportsweek show: 'Owen was on record as being very interested in coming to us and we were clearly very interested in Owen.

'He is a player we have had on the list for quite a while, actually.

'Obviously Bayern were very keen - and are very keen - to keep him. We will have to see.

'If that situation does not change, then obviously we will not acquire Owen.

'But Bayern have indicated to me that they will let us know if the situation changes and at that point, we hopefully can consummate a deal.

'These things do not just happen on January 1, one has discussions around the year on these particular transactions.'

Gill's comments came amid criticism from fans that the club were not active enough towards the end of the transfer window as both Chelsea and Arsenal strengthened.

However, having invested heavily in midfielder Michael Carrick and goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak following the arrivals of Nemanja Vidic and Patrice Evra in January, Gill defended the club's activity.

He said: 'We understand the frustration of fans, who feel we should have been more active.

'But we are very conscious that the quality in our squad is very high and therefore the players we bring in must add to that quality, they must be defined as reasonably valued and very critically, we believe, they must want to be a Manchester United player.

'They are the players we are interested in.'

Gill, who insisted the club had not tried to sign France striker David Trezeguet from Juventus, further promised the cash which had not been spent this summer would be available to manager Sir Alex Ferguson in January and beyond.

He said: 'Our transfer policy evolves according to what the manager wants and the budget will allow.

'It is important to know just because we have not spent the money we had anticipated in this window, that money is not lost.

'That money will be carried forward, those funds will be available for the right player at the right time.

'I do not think our policy has changed at all.'

Meanwhile, United expect to sit down with star striker Wayne Rooney and thrash out a new long-term contract within the next few months.

The 20-year-old is currently two years into a six-year deal, but both he and his employers have shown a willingness to extend that sooner rather than later.

Gill said: 'He is a key player for us and his eagerness to sign a long-term deal is great.

'I think there will be developments on that in the course of the next two or three months.

'We want to sit down and tie him to the club for longer, and really importantly for us and for our fans, he wants to do that.'
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Think Mr. Gill might regret this statement say in 6 months or so?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 03:37:53 PM »
depends on alot of factors:  if tevez and masherano flop then i dont think he will regret the decision.  if however, the two players take the league by storm and westham go on to place above manu then i think the decison will be questioned.

from some other sites i was on it seems that msi offered the two to a host of clubs but to no avail.  it was almost as if west ham were a last resort.  tevez is saying he chose west ham for 'experience'...yeah right.   

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 03:41:58 PM »
Source: Soccernet.com

Man Utd rejected chance to sign Tevez - Gill

Manchester United 'were never interested' in Carlos Tevez and turned down the opportunity to sign Javier Mascherano, according to the club's chief executive David Gill.

The arrival of the two Argentinian internationals at West Ham on transfer deadline day sparked a major debate over just how the Londoners had managed to beat the likes of United, Arsenal and Chelsea to their signatures.

However, Gill revealed that as late as last week, United had the chance to snap up Mascherano on a short-term deal.

He said: 'We were never interested in Tevez. Mascherano, we were offered him.

'We watched him throughout last season and he played at the World Cup, clearly. We were offered him at the start of the summer transfer window for a significant sum.

'The manager and his staff did not want to pursue that. We were also offered him towards the back end of last week in a loan-type deal for a year, and again we were not interested in that.

'From Manchester United's perspective, Tevez was never on the shopping list. Mascherano we watched closely and very carefully and the experts on that area in our club determined that we did not want to go for him.'

United have refused to rule out making another bid for Bayern Munich's Owen Hargreaves in January.

Gill admitted their interest in the midfielder, who played a starring role in England's 5-0 defeat of Andorra at Old Trafford yesterday, would persist despite Bayern's refusal to sell this summer.

He told BBC Radio 5 Live's Sportsweek show: 'Owen was on record as being very interested in coming to us and we were clearly very interested in Owen.

'He is a player we have had on the list for quite a while, actually.

'Obviously Bayern were very keen - and are very keen - to keep him. We will have to see.

'If that situation does not change, then obviously we will not acquire Owen.

'But Bayern have indicated to me that they will let us know if the situation changes and at that point, we hopefully can consummate a deal.

'These things do not just happen on January 1, one has discussions around the year on these particular transactions.'

Gill's comments came amid criticism from fans that the club were not active enough towards the end of the transfer window as both Chelsea and Arsenal strengthened.

However, having invested heavily in midfielder Michael Carrick and goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak following the arrivals of Nemanja Vidic and Patrice Evra in January, Gill defended the club's activity.

He said: 'We understand the frustration of fans, who feel we should have been more active.

'But we are very conscious that the quality in our squad is very high and therefore the players we bring in must add to that quality, they must be defined as reasonably valued and very critically, we believe, they must want to be a Manchester United player.

'They are the players we are interested in.'

Gill, who insisted the club had not tried to sign France striker David Trezeguet from Juventus, further promised the cash which had not been spent this summer would be available to manager Sir Alex Ferguson in January and beyond.

He said: 'Our transfer policy evolves according to what the manager wants and the budget will allow.

'It is important to know just because we have not spent the money we had anticipated in this window, that money is not lost.

'That money will be carried forward, those funds will be available for the right player at the right time.

'I do not think our policy has changed at all.'

Meanwhile, United expect to sit down with star striker Wayne Rooney and thrash out a new long-term contract within the next few months.

The 20-year-old is currently two years into a six-year deal, but both he and his employers have shown a willingness to extend that sooner rather than later.

Gill said: 'He is a key player for us and his eagerness to sign a long-term deal is great.

'I think there will be developments on that in the course of the next two or three months.

'We want to sit down and tie him to the club for longer, and really importantly for us and for our fans, he wants to do that.'

soccernet posted they subject wrong....Utd rejected Mascherano which i think was a stupid decision by utd...

apparently we were never interested in tevez....yeh sure  ::)

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 05:46:06 PM »
Palos, Gill and Fergie have cocked this up as far as it can be cocked up. United seem to be in disarray with respect to transfer policy and other off-field factors. We may never know the real  reasons behind this season's transfer disaster; it may all have to do with the influence of the Glazers (remember United have loaned out or released a large portion of the fringe/academy players like Guisseppi Rossi  >:( and sold "non-core" assets, gotten rid of staff etc.), but I for one am confused because we are in a seemingly unending hunt for new goal keepers (by my count there are six or seven on the books, some like Foster and Howard on loan) and left-sided defenders who are crap. Additionally, we are paying over the top prices for an average midfielder. In central midfield, where the REAL need is, we get the mighty Carrick, and Gill has the NERVE to say that we rejected Macherano? ...but this is his master's voice talking:

"We had watched him last season but the manager and his staff didn't want to pursue him.

"While he is clearly a very good player it was decided he wasn't required at the club."

Anyway, to answer your question, the only thing that United have going for them, oddly enough is Lord Fergie; remember we went an entire season with a crap midfield and finished second. Fergie still knows how to motivate the troops and a few surprises can be struck. This is Manchester United after all.  :beermug:
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 07:59:05 PM »
Palos, Gill and Fergie have cocked this up as far as it can be cocked up. United seem to be in disarray with respect to transfer policy and other off-field factors. We may never know the real  reasons behind this season's transfer disaster; it may all have to do with the influence of the Glazers (remember United have loaned out or released a large portion of the fringe/academy players like Guisseppi Rossi  >:( and sold "non-core" assets, gotten rid of staff etc.), but I for one am confused because we are in a seemingly unending hunt for new goal keepers (by my count there are six or seven on the books, some like Foster and Howard on loan) and left-sided defenders who are crap. Additionally, we are paying over the top prices for an average midfielder. In central midfield, where the REAL need is, we get the mighty Carrick, and Gill has the NERVE to say that we rejected Macherano? ...but this is his master's voice talking:

"We had watched him last season but the manager and his staff didn't want to pursue him.

"While he is clearly a very good player it was decided he wasn't required at the club."

Anyway, to answer your question, the only thing that United have going for them, oddly enough is Lord Fergie; remember we went an entire season with a crap midfield and finished second. Fergie still knows how to motivate the troops and a few surprises can be struck. This is Manchester United after all.  :beermug:

True..yuh have to give Jim he jimboots and jack he jacket.  Fergie is a master motivator in trute.  But de lack of movement in de transfer season for such a big club wit all de resources at dey disposal lil surprisin.  Especially when dey have needs.  Is almost as if dey constipated or sumting.

Buh say wha....Ferguson might well be simultaneously de biggest asset and biggest liability at de club.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 08:23:46 PM »
Palos, Gill and Fergie have cocked this up as far as it can be cocked up. United seem to be in disarray with respect to transfer policy and other off-field factors. We may never know the real  reasons behind this season's transfer disaster; it may all have to do with the influence of the Glazers (remember United have loaned out or released a large portion of the fringe/academy players like Guisseppi Rossi  >:( and sold "non-core" assets, gotten rid of staff etc.),

When have things been different. Young players always get loaned out when they are ready for first team football but not yet first choice. And selling "non-core" assets and staff is just good economic sense.

but I for one am confused because we are in a seemingly unending hunt for new goal keepers (by my count there are six or seven on the books, some like Foster and Howard on loan) and left-sided defenders who are crap. Additionally, we are paying over the top prices for an average midfielder. In central midfield, where the REAL need is, we get the mighty Carrick, and Gill has the NERVE to say that we rejected Macherano? ...but this is his master's voice talking:

What is the problem with loaning out players. Kuczak is a good buy and Foster is one for the future. Howard will either be in the future mix or sold.

As for Carrick, look at the price tag on any England midfielder. They are expensive, always have been, so it makes no sense to gripe about it after the fact.

We also don't know what the terms of the Mascherano deal and why it was unattractive to United.

Take it easy and don't give Palos no ammo.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 09:40:59 PM »

Wit all due respeck...I doh need no ammo where allyuh concern bro.  Fergie does produce enough "friendly fire" to wipe out he own troops.

However.....if Tevez and Mascherano flop in de EPL....he will once again be hailed as a genius who know footballers better dan anybody.

BUT

If dey have any kinda success and Man Boo don't get any hardware dis season....de same media who does pander to he at every turn could turn on he in a savage kinda way.

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 10:00:59 PM »
fergie like to make he big buys after evreybody,look out for them in January.He did that as well last season so i am not worried,the man knows who he wants and he will get them,eg.Hargreeves January look out for him. :)

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 02:23:11 AM »
I don't believe Tevez would get into Man Utd first eleven so at this stage they probably thought it would not have made sense to pay a big fee or big wages for a young South American.

With regard to Mascherano, Man Utd probably are keeping all their budget to lure Hargreaves away from Bayern Munich. They have Carrick/Scholes to play in front of the holding midfielder. Hopefully in January they will have Hargreaves as the holding midfielder. For now i guess Fergie feels that O'Shea can do a job in the holding midfielder role until January.

I have not seen much of Mascherano but to those who have seen a lot of him, is he a ball-winning midfielder like Gattuso or a creative passer like Pirlo? Because Man Utd don't need any 'Pirlos' they need a real 'Gattuso'.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 09:57:20 AM »
I don't believe Tevez would get into Man Utd first eleven so at this stage they probably thought it would not have made sense to pay a big fee or big wages for a young South American.

With regard to Mascherano, Man Utd probably are keeping all their budget to lure Hargreaves away from Bayern Munich. They have Carrick/Scholes to play in front of the holding midfielder. Hopefully in January they will have Hargreaves as the holding midfielder. For now i guess Fergie feels that O'Shea can do a job in the holding midfielder role until January.

I have not seen much of Mascherano but to those who have seen a lot of him, is he a ball-winning midfielder like Gattuso or a creative passer like Pirlo? Because Man Utd don't need any 'Pirlos' they need a real 'Gattuso'.

He is 21 years and is already  a fixture on Argentina's  national team in the no 5 position. Once he is fit he plays ...he is never a sub...if that is any help..
I also saw him keep Ronaldinho quiet in one of the qualfiers ...when Ronnie was in top form. He is quick and a good reader of the game. His position in Argentina is not under threat in a country with at least 3 players fighting for evey position.
His role is to provide protection for the agentinian defence...that goal Kaka scored is one of the reasons he is on the team...the argentinians are great in attack but still poor in defence.
He did suffer an injury before the WC and was out for more than 6 mths..he is the best holding mdfielder that Argentina has at the moment in my view. That Manchester dont want him is no indication of is ability as they also rejected Senna..very good news for fans of Villareal as Senna signed a new 3 year extension today !!!!
I know even small mag thinks that was a mistake to let Senna slip !
Whether Mascerano suceeds in England is another story but anythin an happen in football ... look at martins !

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2006, 11:03:14 AM »
Palos, Gill and Fergie have cocked this up as far as it can be cocked up. United seem to be in disarray with respect to transfer policy and other off-field factors. We may never know the real  reasons behind this season's transfer disaster; it may all have to do with the influence of the Glazers (remember United have loaned out or released a large portion of the fringe/academy players like Guisseppi Rossi  >:( and sold "non-core" assets, gotten rid of staff etc.),

When have things been different. Young players always get loaned out when they are ready for first team football but not yet first choice. And selling "non-core" assets and staff is just good economic sense.

I'm afraid that things have not always been thus; the difference this time is that United have been a net "seller" of talent this year. Nothing is wrong with loaning out players, but it seems we are loaning out young players who can fill problem areas (Chris Eagles, David Jones in midfield, Spector at left back to name but a few). The point I was alluding to was that there is INCREASED loan and fiscal activity, and this probably due to the influence of the Glazers, this in turn could explain the bizarre transfer activity. there really has not been a period in the Fergie era when non-football staff were laid off, and the non-core assets I am referring to are buildings and properties surrounding OT that have been sold that were on the books for many years.
Fergie has a good record in blooding young players; that is not for dispute. I am just pointing out a trend that appears slightly different this year, and really, loaninig out Rossi is confusing to me anyway, but I am not the gaffer.

but I for one am confused because we are in a seemingly unending hunt for new goal keepers (by my count there are six or seven on the books, some like Foster and Howard on loan) and left-sided defenders who are crap. Additionally, we are paying over the top prices for an average midfielder. In central midfield, where the REAL need is, we get the mighty Carrick, and Gill has the NERVE to say that we rejected Macherano? ...but this is his master's voice talking:

What is the problem with loaning out players. Kuczak is a good buy and Foster is one for the future. Howard will either be in the future mix or sold.

Kuczak is a good buy, but there are already five goalkeepers on the books. I am just wondering about the balance, when it is obvious that we need midfield re-inforcements.

As for Carrick, look at the price tag on any England midfielder. They are expensive, always have been, so it makes no sense to gripe about it after the fact.

We also don't know what the terms of the Mascherano deal and why it was unattractive to United.

This is true, but it just makes one wonder why pay over the top for an untried midfielder when one (Senna et al) could have (possibly) been gotten cheaper. But it is true that we do not know the inner workings of these things. As fans, we can only speculate.

No chance of that  ;D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 11:06:48 AM by Cantona007 »
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Mascherano says he was reluctant to sign with Man U
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 07:57:30 AM »
Manchester Evening News
Tuesday, 5th September 2006
Javier 'reluctant to sign for United'

WEST Ham midfielder Javier Mascherano insists he was reluctant to sign for Manchester United after speaking to former Red Devils flop Juan Sebastian Veron.

Mascherano and fellow Argentinian Carlos Tevez both completed moves to Upton Park on transfer deadline day, with Manchester United chief executive David Gill claiming his club turned down the chance to sign the midfielder.

But 22-year-old Mascherano insisted the experience of Veron at Old Trafford put him off a move to the north-west in any case.

"I have spoken with Veron and he told me that (Sir Alex) Ferguson does not have much belief in Argentinian players, so I was reluctant," he said.

"I know (Argentina defender) Gabriel Heinze is there but Veron has some different stories."

original article

1]; } ?>