March 28, 2024, 02:30:03 PM

Author Topic: D Touches Match Observation...WIPA XI vs the Strike Squad  (Read 7927 times)

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
D Touches Match Observation...WIPA XI vs the Strike Squad
« on: September 03, 2006, 06:31:58 PM »
Dear Forumites,

Disclaimer

This is merely a match observation. Details of actual game play are a bit sketchy as players were difficult to identify, also the number of subs were unlimited, as such players were back and forth on the field and substitutes bench. Finally in true fete match style the game was played in three 30 minute thirds.

I arrived at the match venue around 6pm. Weather conditions were cool, and a bit of rain fell in the early afternoon….perfect football conditions.

Entry fee was 50$ and upon proceeding through the turnstile I was greeted with not one….but two free noisemaker/whistles and a match Magazine entitled hit Wicket.

After purchasing the customary beverage, I took up the usual vantage point of the 18yrd box Clock side. The sounds of the Laventille Rhythm section filled the air and the crowd which swelled to about 600-800 people were trickling in.

The Strike squad were on the field warming up in a black kit…..stroking the ball, making passes, raising etc.

As the teams came out of the tunnel we were all asked to stand for the arrival of his Excellency Prof George Maxwell Richards…aka Max. This was the start of a comedy of errors which left all of the spectators standing up for a long period of time. Everytime we attempted to sit down we were asked to remain standing…something akin to musical chairs.

The mic was a wireless one as such it wasn’t wukkin properly….intermittently losing signal. However the MC…Anil Roberts…Spalky had no problem communicating with the crowd as he JEST LOUD. In fact a better job was done sans microphone.

Max with security cut a fine figure…in a black pants, black jacket and a kinda orangy shirt, with a step and swagger that just exuded “Star Boy”

Also on the field were Ken Gordon, match officials and the teams which were….

Michael Maurice-
Clayton Morris (capt)
Brian Williams
Dexter Francis
Floyd Lawrence
Marvin Faustin
Jeron Nixon
Hutson Charles
Marlon Morris
Larry Joseph
Leonson Lewis
Maurice ALiby
Kelvin Jones
Philbert Jones
Russel Munroe
Lawrence George..aka Spanner george 
Kerry Jamerson
Dexter Cyrus
Dexter Lee
Ross Russel
Gally Cummings- Coach
Neville Chance- Manager

TGI Fridays WI football team

Wavell Hinds(Captain)
Brian Lara
Daren Ganga
Mervyn Dillon
Dwayne Bravo
Denesh Ramdin
Runako Morton
Lendl SImmons
Dave Mohammed - GKP
Keiron Pollard
Chris Gayle
Marlon Samuels
Jeroms Taylor
Carlton Baugh
Xavier Marshall
Devon Smith
Daren Sammy
Pedro Collins
Fidel Edwards
Corey Collymore
Dwayne Smith
Ramnaresh Sarwan

Guest Player
Senator Ato Boldon

Manager - Dane Darbasie
Coach - Colin Murray

Also another guest player Darren Millien was present and played in the number 14 shirt for WIPA he was instrumental in their midfield.

WIPA had on a maroon shirt and socks with a white pants…akin to last years Arsenal home kit. Strike Squad had on a hideous Jail bird red and white horizontal striped jersey, white pants white socks.

After Max greeted the teams we had to first stand for the national anthem.

Ladies and Gents when yuh bringing chirren under 6 yrs old to the stadium, please feed them properly before leaving the house.

Just before the anthem..I see a small hand reach over from the row behind me directed towards my bag of popcorn. What followed was…WHAP WHAP…..”I tired tell yuh leave people ting alone. IZ NOT YOURS” Whap, Whap. Next thing is weeping, wailing and knashing of teeth.

Poor lil fella he cry straight tru the anthem. I was also feeling bad…should I have offered the small man and his mother the popcorn? Especially since much of it went flying upon his raid…to make matters worse, small man lost his whistle in the process. A Double Whammy.

The anthem stick…so spalk start to sing the first few lines, the crowd start to sing…then BAM…Music start up out of time and midway. Crowd had to start over. Then a Speaker buss and only one speaker pumping the anthem. EMbarrasing to say the least.

Anyway smallman bawl tru the anthem…..the musical chairs began. We  were asked to remain standing for the West Indies national anthem, which I had heard before. Lo and Behold David Rudders rally round the west Indies starts to play and people steupsing. Everybody confused and dey ent know when to cut the song…which they did after the first few lines of the first verse.

Then when mankind ready to sit we were asked again to stand for a minutes silence for  Walcott. EH heh the silence that was supposed to be kept was invaded by the whistles and horns from the chirren in the crowd. A moments silence then a TWEET follwed by a Shsssh hush nah chile. And so it went on. It was very funny…you had to be there.

Then the game had to be kicked orf twice…..Ken Gordon and Max kicking orf the ball. Then the game hadda be restarted officially…den we hadda wait till Max go and take he seat up in the stands before we sit back down.

Righto…Football time.

Both teams lined up in a 3-5-2 formation. I sorry but I was not familiar with the cricketers and their staring line up. I could tell you that there were three Indians on the starting Line Up. Definitely Dave Tadpole Mohammed was in Goal and he collect real bullet but he handled himself well and Ganga the third I ent know who he was. Mervyn Dillon was playing stopper and was the Captain, On the right wing was Collymore in a two tone socks and the fella who have more speed than Ato was a number 8…Devon Smith He was real worries and tears in fact he should stick to football or track rather than cricket.

Strike squad was….Maurice in goal back three of Brian Williams, Clayton Morris and Dexter Francis. Midfield was Kerry Jamerson, Larry Joseph, Hutson Charles, Leonson Lewis and Marvin Faustin. Up front was Philbert Jones and Jerron Nixon

All the strike squad players besides Faustin and Joseph put orn real real weight. It was a setta big belly men on the field. Vs the slimmer and more athletic WIPA players.

The crowd was definitely PRO WIPA and any playes, subs or goals scored were greeted with cheers and loud applause. As opposed to dead silence when the strike squad did anything.

Opening 5 min were all WIPA and they eventually scored first in the 12th min. A cross and tap in past Maurice from Devon Smith. Real applause and the crowd gorn wild..

Then Strike squad got into gear and started to knock the ball around. They were guilty of throwing away many a chance and opting to pass in the 18 yard box for a teammate to tap in rather than driving home. Faustin in particular should have been a little more selfish and gone to goal instead of passing.

Wipa players showed good technique, passing, tru balls and fitness and you would have never suspected this was a cricket team. Then after the strike squad scored their first goal…coming off the boot of Leonson Lewis game tied at 1-1.

It is at this point, the hungry lil fella behind me make a raid again. A hand came over my shoulder and small man grabbed a fistful of fries…..needless to say he get another sound cutarse and apologies from his mother. Again….I study….give d small man d fries? Should I go and buy him something at half time…hrm the mother go feel shame.

Anyway, subs started to come orn hot and sweaty and our fellow forumite Sentor the hon. Ato Boldon came on to a round of applause. His first touch was shakey bad, an overpush and trot later he passes the ball directly to his opponent.
His next unfortunate incident was a tru ball straight to foot. Ato is unmarked, not a player marking him, he free as a bird and Ato gallops into the 18. Well I say look sure goal…..Unfortunately Ato was reviewing some Stern John finishing videos and produces a brilliant toe pee/curler/powder puff straight to Maurice.
Other than that the Senator settle down, drop to right back and manners Marvin Faustin. He ent get blow past, put in many a tackle, ran off the ball well, supported when necessary and stop all attacks from the SS, quite useful on the wing a creditable performance by the sprinter.

In terms of glamour men Larry Joseph touch was orn, Spanner George was distressing people, Marvin Faustin still have it bullet and speed for days. For WIPA  Millien was the playmaker but the general for WIPA was the world record holding batsman Brian Charles Lara. People Lara have skills, the man look like a total footballer and for a man with a bigish belley and stocky frame he is very agile, light on his feet and he have plenty speed. The man footwork was good, plenty beat and fake, push past and fan. He lay off plenty ball nicely and his one-two touch was good, he also know how to screen a ball and he could cross as well. Only ting….he shot went for 4 runs. He need a compass.

Other than that Strike squad players show they composure, technique and the lost art of hitting bullet and piling shot. It was either Dexter Francis or Clayton Morris but one of them Sting poor tadpole with a 40 yard bullet that had him scampering. Also plenty ball hit post and ting.

In terms of beat the man who eat the most beat was Brian Williams…the rasta technique good, but he slow down……as such he eat a cyap at 90 miles an hour on the run from Devon Smith. But he get a roly poly on the line on the 18 yard box from a tall cricketer wearing a number 20. Wheyyyyyy……d crowd bawl with that one.

I think we should ban #14 from we national teams yes cause who ever wearing dat number does jest throw away. The number 14 for Strike squad…I think is Philbert Jones…it ent alibey cause Alibey was a redman….anyways that number 14 unscore some goals. Some easy tap in and he hitting wide.

Dexter Cyrus showed him how its done with 5 goals to his name.…sprinting past the defence and calmly slotting in when the keeper committed himself.

I was lil disappointed with Jerron Nixon, like he was on kicks or he jest gorn tru but he looking sloppy….not the Jerron of old.

Then in the final third Ross Russel come out of the post and play outfield, Ato and Brian was d crowd pleasers for the Wipa side and Devon Smith was the MVP real speed, running and taking it to the strike squad defence.

For Strike Squad, Larry Joseph was d standout along with Cyrus, Faustin and George.

Final score SS 6 WIPA 3 but the entertainment and level of ball was much better than a PFL or SSFL game.

It was a good game and alyuh shoulda come out….

Until next time.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 06:32:36 AM by Touches »

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: D Touches Match Observation...WIPA XI vs the Strike Squad
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 06:41:07 PM »
Tanks as usual bro.

De bess is de small man and he moddah.  Ah wonderin how hongry dah chile had was to be to go back fuh a nex rongs a cyalpet after he did done get tap up fuh de first "excursion" into yuh fries.

Ah thinkin is a setup de small man moddah was playin dey.  Hopin yuh would feel sorry and buy dem a family bucket afta de game.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 06:44:45 PM »
thanks for the report....as far as small man is concern...the buying of popcorn or some chips was/is  dependent on the forms dat 'mammy' was holding. If it wasnt saying nutten leh him hold dem clout.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 06:48:16 PM »
Palos,

Smallman marmie feel lil shame so she went and buy him he own popcorn...

But yuh see d Fries raid...small man was trained like a ninja.

Watch meh....d fries was in hand....container close to mouth, and all yuh see/feel is a hand pass by yuh ears and he grab a big fistfull.

You know what is dat to see a hand in yuh box!

He get some good licks for that second attempt.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 07:03:10 PM »
Touches as usual thanks for de entertaining report...Real like de musical chairs and de story wit the small man tiefing yuh food
Back in Trini...

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 07:07:51 PM »
Touches yuh really wicked dread,ah mean after smallman get some hard  clout for rushing de popcorn,yuh set him up wid de fries,yuh know he cyar resist   :devil: :rotfl:

....boss report  :applause: :applause:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 07:11:12 PM by berris »
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 07:33:21 PM »
thnaks touches..... sound like it was good fun
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 07:36:53 PM »
very entertaining Touches, I enjoyed it, thanks  :beermug:

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 07:40:20 PM »
Beautifully described as per usual  :applause:

I did always hear lara had skillz,, but thought people memory was dim and they was just feedin off de cricket.....but like de man coulda really be trinbago only double sport star in trute

ah tink we should change the esteemed senators name to Atoepee  ;)

.....an yuh shoulda give de lil greedy beast yuh fries
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline monty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006, 07:42:24 PM »
Nice report man. I find that it is a small crowd though. Did they advertise the game in the media?

Quote from: Touches
I sorry but I was not familiar with the cricketers and their staring line up. I could tell you that there were three Indians on the starting Line Up. Definitely Dave Tadpole Mohammed was in Goal and he collect real bullet but he handled himself well and Ganga the third I ent know who he was.

Most likely it was Ramdin (wicketkeeper).

Quote from: Touches
Then when mankind ready to sit we were asked again to stand for a minutes silence for Frank Worrel.

YOu get the wrong "W".. it should be Walcott!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 07:45:48 PM by monty »

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 07:46:53 PM »
how bravo look??

and i thought he was in england??

nice report though man
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2006, 07:47:20 PM »
real kix oui... i now remember how ah miss going cricket and football in d carib stands with mih father for them kicks...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline monty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2006, 07:48:14 PM »
how bravo look??

and i thought he was in england??

nice report though man

Unless the Concorde still flying, I doubt Bravo was in the country. He had a game for Kent today. He hit a quick 50 (200 strike rate) and take 2 wickets!

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2006, 07:52:16 PM »
Monty correction with the "W" made and noted

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2006, 08:19:05 PM »
appreciated as usual Touches...yuh helpin raise ah chile dey,nice,nice...buh the 2nd setup was ruff....ah guess mammy was single, an nice, buh not enuff to play daddy an deal wit the chile yuh self...next time still ask if yuh could buy him ah lil sumting nah.....all dat musbe was the lilman plan....make Touches meh daddy, or get im to buy some eats.....yuh mash dat up too ;)

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2006, 09:14:06 PM »
Other than that the Senator settle down, drop to right back and manners Marvin Faustin. He ent get blow past, put in many a tackle, ran off the ball well, supported when necessary and stop all attacks from the SS, quite useful on the wing a creditable performance by the sprinter.

buh wait touches who  expect to blow past ato on a football field
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2006, 09:17:11 PM »
Who ia Colin Million?
I know it have a Derren Millien woking for WIPA. Was it a red man TOuches?

Boy I sweat with Lara already, trust meh when I tell yuh he is a natural athlete. I feel Lara could play any sport and that is not just biasness talking. Yuh see how touches say he lil fat and stocky doh let that fool yuh the man jes athletic. One would never think that he with he short self could hit ah six like that.
When all yuh see that short man doh take him slight at all.

Ms que un club.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2006, 09:20:35 PM »
All the strike squad players besides Faustin and Joseph put orn real real weight. It was a setta big belly men on the field. Vs the slimmer and more athletic WIPA players.
Leonson, Brian and Philbert still maintaining a decent size. Dey eh overweight.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2006, 04:53:07 AM »
Strike Squad whip WIPA.
By: Kern De Freitas (Express).
[/size]

But on Saturday night he was the main thorn in the TGI Friday's West Indies cricket XI's side as the Toyota T&T Strike Squad routed them 6-3 in the charity football match at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.
The match was well received by a decent crowd at the Mucurapo venue, including patron President George Maxwell Richards and his wife Jean Ramjohn Richards, who were front and centre to witness the affair.
The crowd enjoyed the match, as their roar indicated when Dwayne Smith found the net to put the West Indies Players Association (WIPA) team in front after 15 minutes, as he raced onto a Devon Smith pass and hit past Michael Maurice in the Strike Squad goal.
The experience of the former Trinidad and Tobago nationals soon began to tell though, as they hurled a barrage of attacks at West Indies spinner Dave "Tadpole" Mohammed's goal, but he showed he was handy with the gloves as well with some excellent saves, including a dive at full stretch to deny former national football captain Clayton Morris, in the 27th minute.
Mohammed was helpless in the closing minutes of the opening 30-minute third, though, in preventing the Strike Squad from taking the lead before the break. Leonson Lewis collected a chipped cross in the centre of the 18-metre box and took his time to place beyond Mohammed for the 1-1 scoreline. Then, in stoppage time, Cyrus tapped in their second to give the locals a 2-1 lead at the end of the first period.
Appearing as a guest for the WIPA team was former T&T Olympic sprinter Ato Boldon, who got fond applause when he took the field.
Cyrus completed his hattrick in the second session, getting past substitute WIPA goalie Kieron Pollard in the 32nd minute. Ken Hazel pulled one back for WIPA in the 48th, before Cyrus beat Pollard in the 59th. But the biggest applause was reserved for regional cricket captain and master batsman Brian Lara, who showed he had not lost his touch with some incisive through passing.
But it was more of the same in the final third of the 90-minute match. Cyrus, finding himself with time and space in the penalty area, picked his spot before driving low into Mohammed's net. Dwayne Smith made sure the WIPA XI scored in each period of play, bundling in the loose ball after Ross Russell, the Strike Squad reserve 'keeper, failed to hold on.
Cyrus fittingly finished things off, squeezing himself through the cricketers' defence and picking his spot. And then, in stoppage time, Lara's pin-point cross was headed wide by Fidel Edwards. All in all it was ample entertainment for an excited throng, and all for a good cause.

WIPA XI:

Dave Mohammed, Keiron Pollard (goalkeepers); Darren Sammy, Mervyn Dillon (captain), Runako Morton, Daren Ganga, Pedro Collins, Fidel Edwards, Dwayne Smith, Devon Smith, Chris Gayle, Denesh Ramdin, Ramnaresh Sarwan.

Substitutes:

Brian Lara, Darren Millien, William Perkins, Corey Collymore, Ken Hazel, Ato Boldon, Dinanath Ramnarine, Jerome Taylor,

Coach.

Colin Murray.

T&T Strike Squad:

Michael Maurice, Ross Russell (goalkeepers); Clayton Morris, Brian Williams, Floyd Lawrence, Marvin Faustin, Kerry Jamerson, Hutson Charles, Larry Joseph, Jerren Nixon, Leonson Lewis, Philbert Jones.

Substitutes:

Lawrence George, Dexter Cyrus, Derek Ollivierre, Kelvin Jones.

Coach

Gally Cummings.

West Indies team winger Devon Smith, right, goes past Strike Squad skipper Clayton Morris during the charity football friendly at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, on Saturday.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 05:43:53 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Girl Warrior

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2006, 07:12:44 AM »
This was a good match, quite enteraining. I find for a charity thing more people shoulda come out to support. For $50 per person, I figure no kinda money was made there. Small ting, it was lots of fun nevertheless. I wanted to go after and get autographs from Brian Williams and Kerry Jamerson but i had to leave. Oh well... Next year I guess....
The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall... Che Guevara

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2006, 09:07:52 AM »
I couldn't make it to the stadium, but channel 4 carried it live :beermug: and it was really entertaining..
good idea and good show by our heroes...

Offline Pasdah Beatz

• Spiritual Seal
  • Hero Warrior
  • I was born to die as a SoCa WaRrIoR
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2006, 09:44:20 AM »
Touches meh boi ah feel daiz was moms set up gimmick. She really looking fuh ah step-daddy fuh de youngon but yuh didn't fall intuh de trap. She train de kid fuh dat..
Hears how i see it playin out
Kid santches food from single lonely guy, Mom intervenes with whipin, Guy feels sorry - buys kid stuff, Kid playfully traps guy in mental vortex, Mom get guy number, From there on she works he Moruga magic, Traps another dummy fuh bout six months.
Touches your heartlessness saved u man.
 :rotfl:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2006, 09:45:12 AM »
This was the second attempt and I find it had less people than last yr. I cyah understand that. It is now a fixture on my calendar.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2006, 10:06:24 AM »
Touches meh boi ah feel daiz was moms set up gimmick. She really looking fuh ah step-daddy fuh de youngon but yuh didn't fall intuh de trap. She train de kid fuh dat..
Hears how i see it playin out
Kid santches food from single lonely guy, Mom intervenes with whipin, Guy feels sorry - buys kid stuff, Kid playfully traps guy in mental vortex, Mom get guy number, From there on she works he Moruga magic, Traps another dummy fuh bout six months.
Touches your heartlessness saved u man.
 :rotfl:

Perhaps it went dong so....perhaps it didn't.  ;D

Offline monty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2006, 10:13:21 AM »

We getting a report on that too or what?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2006, 10:42:29 AM »

We getting a report on that too or what?

:shameonyou:

Offline jose

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2006, 04:20:59 PM »
bess i love it to bad

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2006, 07:34:01 AM »
great report Touches! seem like the greedy chile is an allegory for someone ... :thinking:

1]; } ?>