May 29, 2024, 03:29:33 AM

Author Topic: Best Dive Ever  (Read 8165 times)

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The greatest divers in the history of football
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2009, 08:07:20 AM »
gerrard.... that cudders month could dive.... and he like glass... could break with one blow!

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2009, 10:26:54 AM »
Guatemala, El Salvador, Mexico and Bahrain national teams

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2009, 10:29:06 AM »
ARIEL ORTEGA

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2009, 11:33:46 AM »
ARIEL ORTEGA

Yuh sure he diving or just drunk
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2009, 12:04:39 PM »
The dane Elkjaer ...referred to by one commentator as " the dying swan "

...maybe the greatest dive might be more appropriate to discuss ...like when germany got the penalty vs argentina in the world cup final ....which earned them the cup ...and the diver later admitted that he dived ???

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2009, 12:06:25 PM »
the chilean keeper who was banned for faking an injury go have to be high up as well ...blood flowing and all ....found out to have self inflicted the wound ....now dat is faking it !

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2009, 12:17:23 PM »
The dane Elkjaer ...referred to by one commentator as " the dying swan "

...maybe the greatest dive might be more appropriate to discuss ...like when germany got the penalty vs argentina in the world cup final ....which earned them the cup ...and the diver later admitted that he dived ???

Rudi Voeller... Wasn't that bad of a dive- contact wasn't much and he definitely sold the infringement but he turned the corner on his man who stuck a late foot out, and didn't make contact with the ball... pretty routine flop but the ref had no choice.

Argentina was playing defend and hoof in that game anyways, and were lucky to get out of their group, much less make it all the way to the final with some very shabby and lucky performances- A very ugly looking, non Argentine playing side.... they shoulda lost by 3 clear goals... The most one-sided final I've seen based on the balance of play. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 12:19:49 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2009, 12:40:45 PM »
Hugo Sanchez

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2009, 12:57:33 PM »
the chilean keeper who was banned for faking an injury go have to be high up as well ...blood flowing and all ....found out to have self inflicted the wound ....now dat is faking it !

Dat wasn't a dive.

It wasn't even acting.

Dat was an opera.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline coachman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2009, 03:52:51 PM »
BLANCO

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2009, 04:53:34 PM »
Cuauhtemoc Blanco - Mexico
Luis Hernandez - Mexico

Filippo Inzaghi - Italy
Francesco Totti - Italy
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2009, 08:22:46 PM »
Klinsmann?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/tB7Y33VteME" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/tB7Y33VteME</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2009, 09:04:10 PM »
Klinsmann?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/tB7Y33VteME" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/tB7Y33VteME</a>

LOL... that is the one incident that readily comes to mind... everytime I see dat I does dead yes  :rotfl:

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2009, 04:48:07 AM »
Klinsmann?

It hard to tell if there was contact but yuh could see the intent (in the dive, that is.  Klinsmann intended to get fouled.)

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2009, 09:49:05 AM »

It hard to tell if there was contact but yuh could see the intent (in the dive, that is.  Klinsmann intended to get fouled.)

The defender came in with his right foot high, studs up, when the ball was already gone to his left.

The play-acting by Klinsmann was legendary though.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 10:04:17 AM by Peong »

Offline coachman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2009, 10:03:43 AM »
I maybe wrong Linsley Sherwood could be up there. :rotfl:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Time to applaud the cheats like David Ngog for their X-Factor
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2009, 07:55:16 AM »
Time to applaud the cheats like David Ngog for their X-Factor
By Rory Smith (telegraph.co.uk)

Simon Cowell would approve. “I’ll be public enemy number one,” said the Lego-haired mogul of his decision to keep John and Edward, a set of tuneless Irish twins who everybody seems very angry about or extremely fond of, depending on how post-modern they are, in the X Factor.

Well, he didn’t exactly keep them in. He “let the public decide”, choosing to douse our hands in Lucie Jones’s blood – metaphorically – by referring the vote to “deadlock”, an overly-dramatised narrative device lifted, seemingly, straight from The Day Today. Cowell’s decision, of course, had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that, if everyone gets extremely cross, they will spend most of next Saturday night voting for absolutely everyone else to condemn JEdward to a life of karaoke bars, appearances on Never Mind The Buzzcocks and turning on the Christmas lights in Carlow.

Cowell’s trickery would, in South America, be considered a fine example of picardia. He has displayed ruthless cunning, a willingness to forego any ethical considerations in order to advance his own interests. And it’s here that Cowell, possibly the most famous man with no discernible talent other than insulting people in Britain, would look at David Ngog and say: “I like you. I could see you selling records. It’s a yes. Louis?”

Ngog, too, clearly possesses picardia in abundance. He also, it seems, has plenty of nerve. Most players, when they choose to dive, do so to exaggerate contact, or at least have the decency to leave a leg trailing behind them as they go to ground. Not Ngog. Ngog jumped three feet in the air, three feet away from Lee Carsley, and looked beseechingly at Peter Walton for a penalty. Walton, who has the look of a man who has mislaid his keys, duly pointed to the spot. The country erupted in uproar.

Carsley suggested Ngog should be embarrassed to go home to his family, intimating that countless scions of the proud Ngog dynasty would forever have to bear his shame. Alex McLeish was more philosophical, describing the decision as a “joke,” although with the face of someone who didn’t get the punchline. Some observers used words like “scarred” and “cheat storm”. Expect one newspaper, at least, to blame immigration for this besmirching of our national game. Ngog has been called every name under the sun, and mostly by it as well. Many others, including my colleague Rob Kelly, believe this latest example of hoodwinkery is proof Fifa should get off the pot and introduce video technology.

I, personally, favour a much easier solution. Just accept it. It’s part of the game. Not only that, but simulation, picardia in its purest form, is a skill, and as with any skill, those who practice it well should be applauded. Or at least grudgingly admired. That is the approach they take in Buenos Aires and Rio de Janeiro, and frankly it makes sense.

Football is a game based on the deployment of skill in the pursuit of victory. It is not a game based on honesty. Is the rabona so favoured by Ricardo Quaresma or the elastico of Rivelino and Ronaldinho honest? No. Both are tricks to deceive the defender, yet both are lauded as art. Was Roberto Carlos’s free kick against France in 1997 honest? No. It swerved twice, and thus tricked the laws of physics, an authority far mightier than Peter Walton. Is the offside trap honest? No. It is deceitful, destructive. It fools a side in full attacking flow into thinking there is more space available to them than there is. It serves only to bind.

There was a time when it was considered sportsmanlike behaviour for a winger to stick only to his touchline, try to beat his opponent and then cross the ball in. That was the limit of what Stanley Matthews – and Charles “Charlie” Charles – were allowed to do. Anything else was thought ill manners.

When Hungary landed at Wembley in 1953 with Nandor Hidegkuti playing in a trequartista role, there will have been reactionaries who viewed their tactical sophistication as heresy. The game has evolved from that. Perhaps it is now time for it to evolve again, to embrace another artform viewed as a scourge of all that is good and honest. Perhaps, at the risk of exaggerating slightly, David Ngog can be football’s Galileo.

Judging by the comments attached to my last blog, there are those among the literally tens of people reading this who will insist this is nothing more than partisanship, but my reaction to the ridiculously overblown Eduardo farrago was the same. It is hard to take when it is your team on the receiving end, I accept, but, as McLeish magnanimously said last night: “If you stick a leg out [like Carsley did], you are running a risk.”

The only difference, of course, is that diving tricks not an opponent, but the referee, the arbiter of fair play and, in a sense, the fans’ representative on the pitch. But that, too, is a skill, and possibly a more difficult one than getting the better of a back-tracking left-back. Those who do it well do not deserve to be pilloried, but rather praised for their quick thinking, their presence of mind, their acting talents. They are all traits considered praiseworthy in other scenarios. What makes this one different? Those who do it badly, of course, should be punished. That is only right. Football rewards talent and chastises mediocrity. Diving should be the same.

The best analogy, perhaps, is with someone taken for a ride by a street hustler. You are angry, of course, but at the same time you have to wonder at the display of cheek, of sleight of hand, that has tricked you. That is how we should treat Ngog. And, for that matter, Cowell. At least the young Frenchman isn’t doing it to the whole country.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline coachman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2009, 08:35:54 AM »
Nice article,In my day as an attacking player i would try to use what ever trick i can use to get the better of defenders,some times diving,the risk of being caught warrants a yellow card,that is part of the game, but now the abuse of the diving act has been blown out of proportion,just as we justify defenders for commiting a professional foul,the dive done well is also a professional art for the attackersl.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2009, 09:05:53 AM »
Interesting read. I disagree with him but, I think he makes enough sense. I suppose I am one of those who believe in fair play and sportsmanship so the dive to me is cheating. To use the offside trap, a well hit freekick and good footwork as a comparison is weak and brings the old "apples to oranges" cliche in the mix. Even in his own comments he says that the dive tricks the ref and therein lies my problem with the whole thing.

On the other hand he's right in saying it's an art (even a skill, albeit a dirty one) and moving toward they acceptance of it might make for less stress. As in any sport it's now up to the officials to be more vigilant. If they miss it, well, they're only human.

Even real time I felt Ngog dived and was suprised that the penalty was awarded. I was about to cuss because he'd gotten past the defender and I felt he'd let a good opportunity go by. So it's not enough to rate him as one of the best divers in the game, even if he did achieve his objective.  ;D

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The Worst Soccer Dives in History
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2011, 10:38:24 AM »
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The Worst Soccer Dives in History
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2011, 10:40:44 AM »
correct