April 26, 2024, 05:58:16 AM

Author Topic: Stern could well make new turn.  (Read 6732 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Stern could well make new turn.
« on: September 07, 2006, 04:44:11 PM »
Stern could well make new turn.
By: Shaun Fuentes.
[/size]

Two matches short of his 100th appearance in full senior internationals for this country, leading goal getter Stern John has been caught asking himself what else he needs to attain if there is any thought that he hasn’t fulfilled his ambitions as a Trinidad and Tobago player.
The Coventry City has played 98 matches for T&T dating back to his debut and maiden goal in a 2-1 win over Finland in a friendly international in February 1995.
And with his contract at Coventry City coming to an end in December, John is silently considering his options for the remainder of his career as a player as he approaches his 30th birthday.
Going through all the trials and tribulations of T&T football from the mid-90s up to its appearance at the 2006 World Cup, John wants new challenges and while he isn’t counting out the possibility of helping T&T to another World Cup, by the time 2010 comes around he will be 33. While John netted five ever important goals in T&T’s closing matches in the qualification bid, many argue that he never fully regained his best footing after a knee injury prior to a World Cup qualifier against Canada in 2000 which put him on the sidelines for several months. It was the second knee injury after a previous one while at Nottingham Forest leading up to the 2000 Gold Cup and both required intense treatment. Since then John held a straight face and an eye for goal but he has always had to pay special attention to the knee, particularly after long air flights, intense training sessions and escaping from robust tackles.
Then again, he was an integral role in T&T history and enjoyed every moment of it.
“This could be the  last contract of my career coming up in England and after that I may look to take it down a bit in something not so strenuous,” John told TTFF Media on Tuesday. “As a country we qualified and we did our country proud on the world stage. That was definitely the biggest achievement of my career and maybe it’s time for Stern John to  look at himself  a bit closer and come to terms with the sacrifices made.
“I’m not getting any younger and the legs aren’t getting any quicker and who knows maybe I could well look at taking a rest from the international scene until the national team really needs me and if they don’t well why not hang up the red shirt,” John quietly added.
It was one of those statements that not many would welcome but then too, those who haven’t seen the value of his contribution may not even raise an eye brow. The likes of Yorke though, who’s going firm at 34 may beg to differ as he has been a supporter of John, even before he made his return to the national team in 2005.
In the meantime though, John revealed that his intention is to secure a good enough offer when his new contract comes along in January as his current deal is about to end at Coventry. That same club priced him out of the market this month, asking for as much as 500,000 pounds for him from the interested clubs.
“I could be looking elsewhere in January because there were other clubs who came with offers but Coventry were asking for too much and that’s there right because they are looking to gain as much as they can off a World Cup player. Right now I’m just focused on banging in a few goals before the Christmas and then hopefully something good will come up. Right now it’s not so much about getting a contract but more about getting what I want in the contract itself,” John added.
He went on to say that managers in the UK are still not open to releasing players to represent their countries, particularly if the distance is far off England.
“Some of the managers don’t even want the players to play for their country and that is something we have to look closely at. We went to the World Cup and we earned respect and no one can take that away from us. But one could wonder whether people also see ways in which they can stop a country’s progress because all of a sudden they see them as a possible threat. And when you look at how many of our players got decent contracts after we almost shocked England, it makes you wonder. I for one thought we would have at least two players in the Premiership or more moving on to bigger clubs. That’s disappointing especially when you look around and see who’s really making the moves and you wonder what’s the difference between them and us.”
As the conversation went further, John thought it fit that he still wanted to contribute to the national team once needed and to the overall national effort as he is currently paying more emphasis on his Stern John Skills Award Program which continues to grow in popularity among local schools. John continues to be the only national player with such a program to assist in the development of young players and still maintains ties with Birmingham City through this and his non-profitable to him as he has even dipped in his pockets for the program. John too is trying a thing at coaching.
“I want  to give back in more ways than one. I started my ‘C’ license course and it’s really interesting to see the difference in being a manager and a player. It’s important to learn the game from the manager or the coach’s point of view and you learn to appreciate it more. Its something I would like to do only if I have to because it’s a difficult role. The coach has to be the first one there on the pitch  and sometimes the last on to leave and he has a lot more to do like scouting and so. On the other hand I think I can enjoy it. Player management is a big part of the game now and in most cases you find that the players coming through are already equipped with the natural ability and the technical side of it. It’s just a matter of putting the right team together.
“All in all though I hope I can give back to the country in the years to come. The youth is our future. I still remember my first goal against Haiti. I was a teenager then and I came through the ranks. The young players especially from the national team like the recent Under 16s must realize that they have everything to go after. There’s nothing that can compare to playing on the biggest stage or making it in football today either as a player, a coach or even an official,” said John who has scored 18 goals in 38 World Cup qualifiers which leaves him as the highest ever in such competition for T&T. As for now, his Coventry shirt remains a priority and local fans can expect to see him in the T&T kit in upcoming friendly international before year end.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 04:45:44 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
Re: Stern could well make new turn.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 08:07:47 PM »
i go miss yuh if yuh habg up boss

real men go misss yuh goals too but they to shame

PRESIDENT OF THE STERN FOR GOALS COMITTEE
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 08:10:57 PM »
ah go miss yuh too
VICE PRESIDENT OF STERN FOR GOALS COMMITTEE
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 08:23:08 PM »
Two matches short of his 100th appearance in full senior internationals for this country
This also applies to Dog.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 10:30:42 PM »
there is a God

Més que un club.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 05:12:36 AM »
there is a God

And his name is Stern John who waved his magical boot to help T&T play in our 1st ever senior World Cup. 

You are correct, so like you I would like to say thank you Stern & thank you God for the opportunity to see my beloved country T&T play in its first ever senior World Cup! May God continue to bless us with his presence so Stern please doh hang up yuh boots just yet as we may still need you! ;D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 05:17:23 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 05:44:02 AM »
Big up Stern!
The most prolific forward we have ever produced.

Imagine if he had never hurt his knee so bad. The man was a phenom before, I rememebr the old stern piping shot from anywhere around the box and turning defenders like they on roller skates.
Wow.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 07:45:43 AM »
In the meantime though, John revealed that his intention is to secure a good enough offer when his new contract comes along in January as his current deal is about to end at Coventry. That same club priced him out of the market this month, asking for as much as 500,000 pounds for him from the interested clubs.

But one could wonder whether people also see ways in which they can stop a country’s progress because all of a sudden they see them as a possible threat. And when you look at how many of our players got decent contracts after we almost shocked England, it makes you wonder.

2 very interesting quotes...

In any case, whatever your decision Stern, know that there are those who recognise what you are worth and who are eternally greatful. Best of luck with the club searching, Mr. John Stern...

Long live the Stern Turn  :wavetowel:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 07:52:39 AM by Tallman »
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline sprog

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 08:33:38 AM »
All the best this season, wish i had the opportunity to see your games, headlines dont always capture ones overall play and efforts.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 08:42:43 AM »
I still hope that stern sticks around, but now its time for Jones, Glen and Sealey to step up and fill his boots!!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 08:47:10 AM »
Big up Stern!

Imagine if he had never hurt his knee so bad. The man was a phenom before, I rememebr the old stern piping shot from anywhere around the box and turning defenders like they on roller skates.
Wow.

men using the words prolific and phenom to describe Stern, words often reserved for the likes of Ronaldo and Maradonna

all yuh good we

Més que un club.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 09:01:16 AM »
Big up Stern!

Wow.

men using the words prolific and phenom to describe Stern, words often reserved for the likes of Ronaldo and Maradonna

all yuh good we
disgruntled ah tink they just improvin their vocabulary. :rotfl:
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006, 09:08:58 AM »
Big up Stern!

Wow.
all yuh good we

Let up on the hate nah. Steups.
When men want to call latapy the greatest midfield maestro ever ent dey does do it?
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006, 12:18:59 PM »
I still hope that stern sticks around, but now its time for Jones, Glen and Sealey to step up and fill his boots!!

ah love it!!

LOL.. how big yuh think he shoes really iz ?..  :rotfl:
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2006, 02:21:31 PM »

ah love it!!

2,  2½
nothing big to fill

Més que un club.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2006, 03:03:58 PM »

ah love it!!

2,  2½
nothing big to fill

:rotfl:

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2006, 02:38:56 AM »

STERN ENT DONE YET.

WHEN YUH AWAY FROM HOME LIL DEPRESSION DOES SET IN AN YUH DOES AY TING.

ALL DE STERN HATERS HAVE PLENTY MORE OF HIM TUH TALK ABOUT.

AN DE STERN JOHN SKILLS PROGRAM. DE ONLY PROGRAM SPONSORED BY A NATIONAL THAT COVERS EVERY PRIMARY SCHOOL IN  TRINIDAD DAT WANT TO BE INVOLVED (some refuse  >:()

big up STERN    ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ah want de woman on de bass

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2006, 09:05:28 AM »
I drink alot when it comes to Stern

Més que un club.

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2006, 01:03:49 PM »
Yuh touch meh dey boi Stern, ah was always ah fan of yours, but ah learn a few things from yuh as ah person, from what yuh just said. Bless up my youth and thanks fuh yuh services on de pitch for our beloved T&T.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2006, 08:39:20 PM »
Yuh touch meh dey boi Stern, ah was always ah fan of yours, but ah learn a few things from yuh as ah person, from what yuh just said. Bless up my youth and thanks fuh yuh services on de pitch for our beloved T&T.

Fuh Real SUPA..
The man is de only national player that have ah program that aims to develop we youths and de future of TnT football. I understand a player from the same Stern John skills program is currently in Birmingham City academy,Stephan ?? a midfielder about 16yrs ,not sure of his last name.
Yuh really have tuh laugh when man want to dog Stern and say all kinda ah ting bout him,talk bout he family ,how much children he have,he's ah this ,he's ah dat,and they don't realy know his true contribution to TnT football,is not just goals and yet still he is one of de most disrespected national players.
Over the years #14 is ah man that jepodise his starting position with his club to come home and represent TnT,while his teamates  laughing at him tellingl him he wasting his time, TnT eh going noway but #14 knew he wanted to play in ah WC and with or without Dwight and Latas nothing wasn't stoping him from accomplishing that.Proof ? 12 in de hex which undoubtly took us to the WC.
Dwight and Latas might be considered ''better'' than Stern to many Trinbagonians but them fellas pale in comparasion to #14 when come to
being ah true national hero on and off the pitch.

TI yuh like ''local'' right ?... well #14 is as local as yuh will get  ;D :beermug:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 08:41:29 PM by berris »
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2006, 10:03:26 PM »

Fuh Real SUPA..
The man is de only national player that have ah program that aims to develop we youths and de future of TnT football. I understand a player from the same Stern John skills program is currently in Birmingham City academy,Stephan ?? a midfielder about 16yrs ,not sure of his last name.
Yuh really have tuh laugh when man want to dog Stern and say all kinda ah ting bout him,talk bout he family ,how much children he have,he's ah this ,he's ah dat,and they don't realy know his true contribution to TnT football,is not just goals and yet still he is one of de most disrespected national players.
Over the years #14 is ah man that jepodise his starting position with his club to come home and represent TnT,while his teamates  laughing at him tellingl him he wasting his time, TnT eh going noway but #14 knew he wanted to play in ah WC and with or without Dwight and Latas nothing wasn't stoping him from accomplishing that.Proof ? 12 in de hex which undoubtly took us to the WC.
Dwight and Latas might be considered ''better'' than Stern to many Trinbagonians but them fellas pale in comparasion to #14 when come to
being ah true national hero on and off the pitch.

TI yuh like ''local'' right ?... well #14 is as local as yuh will get  ;D :beermug:

Tuh be honest, Latapy have meh heart more as ah player than any body else. But the extra stuff yuh quote on Stern, is true, not even mey boi Latas or big money Yorke, are in his class when it comes tuh giving back tuh de society. And yuh know what, first time ah hearing about de youth in Birmingham city academy (Stephan), dat is really great. Bless.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

1]; } ?>