June 16, 2024, 01:56:17 AM

Author Topic: Parreira warns against interference.  (Read 1333 times)

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Parreira warns against interference.
« on: September 08, 2006, 12:04:26 AM »
At a reported $14Million over 4 years he will be under plenty pressure. Sounds familiar, men here calling for Wim head too!
Interesting that Parreira has emphasized the need for a comprehensive player development program
which has been the topic of many a thread on this board. The problem we in TNT are encountering
is all part of the  growing pains in developing true professional players. Bottomline, our teenage players need to participate in quality tournaments and train together year-round. We cannot rely on Managers readily releasing our foreign based players for friendlies. In the meantime, we are not alone, everybody desperate to qualify for 2010, spending oodles of $$$.

BBC sports
Parreira warns against interference

Former Brazil coach Carlos Alberto Parreira says he will quit as the coach of South Africa if the FA interferes in his job.

The South African Football Association has often been blamed for forcing a rapid succession of trainers to quit through its interference.

Parreira, who led Brazil to the 1994 World Cup title, said the body would need to back off if he was "to polish soccer diamonds" ahead of South Africa's hosting of the 2010 World Cup.

"Thirteen coaches in 13 years is not a good record," Parreira said at his first press conference in Johannesburg on Tuesday.

"The moment I am not happy or not feeling comfortable, then it is 'bye bye.'

"The security of the coach is results, a coach relies on results. The results of this team will be in 2010.

Parreira arrived in South Africa at the weekend to watch the team get held to a dismal 0-0 draw by the Republic of Congo.

Bafana Bafana failed to qualify for this year's World Cup and crashed out of the African Cup of Nations in the first round without scoring a goal.

Fifa has given US$10 million to South Africa's federation to try to build a successful team, but key players including striker Benni McCarthy are unwilling to commit to the national squad.

Parreira said there was an urgent need for a comprehensive player development program to allow new talent to rise in the next four years.

"If the diamonds remain underground, if the machinery is not in place to mine them, they are of no value and there is no way the objective can be achieved," Parreira said.

Parreira takes up his post on 1 January and will watch the next African Cup of Nations qualifier against Zambia as an observer.

However, his US$250,000 monthly pay package has attracted criticism.

"If this is a problem. I am ready to leave right away. I am not here principally for the money," Parreira said, adding that he had rejected more lucrative offers.

Parreira said he would try and imprint the fundamental principles of Brazilian soccer philosophy such as retaining possession, improvisation and technique.

"But you can't ask Africans to play exactly like Brazilians," he added.

"Africans must play like Africans. For South Africa to emulate Brazilian soccer, the right structures must first be created.

"Brazil exports 5,000 players a year to countries round the world and immediately others emerge to take their places for local consumption.

"This is the kind of challenge that faces South African soccer."

« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 11:37:08 AM by takenoprisoners »

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Parreira warns against interference.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 12:04:57 PM »
Quite interesting,this is how a knowledgeable and experience Coach talks,he is constructive,to the point,has a pln knows what he wants,take it or leave it i'm out of here mentality.

What i like is where he said you can't expect Africans to play like Brazilians,Africans can only play like Africans,does this have something to do with the culture? 

1]; } ?>