April 28, 2024, 02:13:50 PM

Author Topic: Vranes say 'Vincy' coming hard....Mickey on Stern's mind...  (Read 1967 times)

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Vranes say 'Vincy' coming hard....Mickey on Stern's mind...
« on: October 05, 2006, 03:18:08 PM »
Players in row with TTFF over W/Cup $$.
By: Ian Prescott (Express).

Amidst a row over money, members of the Soca Warriors yesterday announced their retirement from international football after representing Trinidad and Tobago two more times-today's friendly against St Vincent and the Grenadines and Wednesday's match with Panama.
Accusing the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) of reneging on the contractual obligation they made during the 2006 World Cup build-up, 13 members of the World Cup squad announced their decision yesterday during a hastily arranged news conference at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Mucurapo.
Just prior to yesterday's 5.30 p.m. training session at the same venue, captain Dwight Yorke read a prepared statement, which said: "We, the players of the National Team that participated in the World Cup 2006, would like to announce our consideration to retire from international football immediately after our next two games.
"We all recognise the fact that eventual retirement must come to us all, but certainly didn't anticipate this decision, especially following so hotly on the heels of what has been our proudest and most memorable achievements in the game this summer."
Standing in solidarity with their captain were Dennis Lawrence (Swansea), David Atiba Charles (Glenavon), Avery John (New England Revolution), Chris Birchall (Coventry City), Carlos Edwards (Watford FC), Collin Samuel (Dundee United), Stern John (Coventry City), Kenwyne Jones (Southampton), Jason Scotland (St Johnston), Brent Sancho (Gilliangham) and Cornell Glen (LA Galaxy).
"Prior to our qualification for the World Cup, we entered into negotiations with representatives of the TTFF regarding a number of different aspects of our own performances, behaviour and representation of our beloved country. Issues we felt we upheld and delivered on," Yorke read.
"It was recently revealed to us that very disappointedly, the TTFF did not feel the need to deliver on their promises and contractual obligations. Following Government's promise to reimburse the TTFF for all their expenses incurred during this historic achievement, it makes the TTFF's stand even more confusing... This all comes at a time when we feel we should be building for the future with our eyes firmly on South Africa 2010."
Following the statement, Yorke left with his teammates, refusing to answer questions. However, rasta-haired defender Brent Sancho had a few words before stating that more would be revealed following the Panama match.
"It's not just monetary. They have made certain contractual arrangements which they have now reneged on," he said.
Caught unawares by the latest development, TTFF general secretary Richard Groden released a statement, saying the federation was mortified by developments that occurred. Full Story Here.
Meanwhile, a letter addressed to TTFF advisor Jack Warner, coming from accountant Kenny Rampersad, suggested that of approximately $13 million of sponsorship money raised during the campaign, a third, or $4,425,100, was diverted to kick off the 2010 World Cup campaign.
Rampersad's letter to Warner states: "In particular, we have estimated the costs for hotel accommodation and players' fees and allowances, which we understand were paid by you. In addition, since many of the sponsors contributed to both the Germany campaign as well as South Africa 2010, the sponsorship income was treated in the following manner, two thirds for the Germany campaign and one third for the South Africa campaign, as determined by The Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation."
T&T tackle St Vincent amidst money woes.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).
[/size]

Soca Warriors swansong.

The Trinidad and Tobago national football squad planned to make their first step towards the 2010 South Africa World Cup at 6.30 p.m. today in a friendly fixture against St Vincent and The Grenadines at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Port of Spain.
Instead, local fans seem set to witness a farewell tour as the "Soca Warriors" yesterday vowed to sign off their international careers against St Vincent today and Panama on Wednesday.
The national players, led by team captain and Sunderland attacker Dwight Yorke, declared their intention to retire from international duty after their next two friendly fixtures as a result of an alleged breach of contract by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF).
The players appeared in good spirits at yesterday's training session and several players, including the Coventry City duo of Stern John and Chris Birchall, stayed late into the dusk for extra shooting practise.

But national coach Wim Rijsbergen was not happy.

"This does not help our preparation," Rijsbergen told the Express. "I do not think I should say any more at this time. So many things are being said already."
Today's fixture is the Warriors' first home game since their historic 2006 World Cup campaign and pits them against an ambitious Vincentian team with several familiar faces in their ranks.
Coach Zoran Vranes, an ex-Yugoslav international, led Trinidad and Tobago in their unsuccessful 1998 World Cup qualifying campaign and, ten years ago, gave striker Stern John-the country's record goal scorer-his first cap.
Versatile lanky defender Wesley John and the pacy, diminutive Kendall Velox have also won hundreds of Trinidad and Tobago fans after being introduced to the local football scene by Caledonia AIA.
St Vincent are a late replacement for Central American outfit, Nicaragua, but enjoy a good run after recently eliminating Jamaica-minus their foreign players-from the CONCACAF Gold Cup qualifying series.
St Vincent are ranked at 129th in the world by FIFA, which is 73 places below the Warriors although still ahead of the 165th placed Nicaragua. The Caribbean team should be an enthusiastic but ultimately outclassed opponent.
Yet it is unlikely that Rijbergen's squad cared much for a scouting report on Velox yesterday.

Yorke and his men targeted a more formidable opponent.

The 2005 T&TFF Player of the Year discouraged questions after yesterday's press conference and the players were vague as to exactly what "contractual obligation" they felt their employers had breached.
However, Yorke's explanation that the T&TFF's stand was "confusing and ultimately disappointing", since the Government promised to reimburse the organisation for "expenses incurred during this historic achievement", suggested that money was at the root of the fall out.
The T&TFF admitted as much in a release that defended its distribution of sponsorship money even before the players publicly accused them of anything unethical.
T&TFF general secretary Richard Groden issued T&TFF's release in such haste, in fact, that he was embarrassingly short on facts, even as he berated the players.
Groden, who anticipated a strike from the players, warned of the "deleterious effects" of this "delinquent" move. He further gave the Warriors a deadline of noon today to "renege on their current confrontational posture" and take the field against St Vincent.
The irony of the T&TFF's inability to assess the current situation would not be lost on players who argued that their faith in the local body was so eroded they felt promises from the Federation "are not worth the paper they are written on".
In fact, the players have decided against confrontation entirely.
They confirmed that they would play in both matches. The players worked at an upbeat tempo on the training ground yesterday and gave no indication that they will lack commitment today or on Wednesday.
After Wednesday night, they will presumably leave the country's football affairs up to the T&TFF, unless they are convinced of a drastic change in attitude.
The future looks bleak for Rijsbergen who, barely a month ago, declared an unwillingness to field a team without his best foreign-based players. It is likely to be an uneasy weekend between players, coach and administrators.
Soca Warriors” go for the win.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).
[/size]

Trinidad and Tobago’s senior footballers were scheduled to train on Friday evening from 5:30 pm ahead of Saturday’s friendly international against St Vincent and the Grenadines from 6:30 pm at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.
The game will be preceded by a training encounter between the National Under 17 team and a President’s Eleven from 4pm at the same venue.
With World Cup players Carlos Edwards, Chris Birchall, Collin Samuel, Dwight Yorke, Cyd Gray, Avery John, Stern John, Kenwyne Jones, Jason Scotland, Dennis Lawrence and Atiba Charles all in the squad, head coach Wim Rijsbergen will be seeking to get a decent performance with the inclusion of local-based pros Kerry Baptiste, Andrei Pacheco, Andre Toussaint, goalies Jan Michael Williams and Marvin Phillip, Dwayne Jack, Nigel Daniel and stand by Trent Noel.
This will be Rijsbergen first game on home soil since taking over the post of head coach from Leo Beenhakker and St Vincent and the Grenadines head coach Zoran Vranes promises to give him a hard start.
“Yes of course because we want to play and show that we have quality too and that we can make a challenge,” Vranes said on the eve of the match.
Rijsbergen meantime isn’t getting carried away by the hype of the team’s performance at the World Cup.
“What we are building for is 2010 in South Africa and everything now will be in relation to that. Of course the players who have the experience of the World Cup and can contribute now will be a benefit to us. But the main aim is to get these guys together and building for our matches later on,”Rijsbergen said.
Skipper Yorke added: “We have got to set it right and we intend to play the game to win.”
Luton Town midfielder Carlos Edwards who is hoping to keep his good form going wants to take the game to the Vincentians.
“We must not allow them to have any control and I expect the boys will go out there and ensure we get a commanding result because we have gotten past this team before. It’s a good training opportunity for us to come good with the coach playing his first game in charge with the majority of the squad,” Edwards said.
Attending tomorrow's game will be Honourable President George Maxwell Richards and Minister of Sport Roger Boynes as well as coaches from throughout the  CFU who are in the country attending the FIFA Futuro III Coaching Course at the Centre of Excellence, Macoya.
The referee for tomorrow’s game is Surinamese Enrico Wijngaarde and assistants Ramon Louisville and Rewiedath Rathipal also of Suriname.
News from the 06th of October 2006.

Vranes say 'Vincy' coming hard.

St Vincent and the Grenadines head coach Zoran Vranes is not coming here simply to play a friendly against the “Soca Warriors.
The first comment coming from him on Thursday when asked what he felt about the upcoming encounter against the 2006 World Cup finalists, the Yugoslavian-born former T&T coach said he wanted to show Dwight Yorke and his men that they have every intention of making a strong challenge in the Caribbean race for South Africa 2010.
“My players are very anxious for this game and we want to show Trinidad that they very soon they can be under pressure in the Caribbean for the next World Cup in 2010,” Vranes told TTFF Media from his St Vincent office on Thursday.
Having coached here before, most recent being during the closing stages of the 2002 World Cup qualifiers, Vranes also led St Vincent to a 1-0 win over T&T in the Digicel Cup prelims back in 2004 at Arnos Vale. His team also ran T&T to the ground in a narrow 2-1 loss in the semi-final 2006 World Cup qualifier in November 2004.
As such, T&T skipper Dwight Yorke will ensure his team doesn’t take the Vincentians lightly.
“We must not take them lightly because we know they are a team who will want to prove a point and the gap in world football is closing day by day. The 6-0 and 7-0 results are long gone and only on a freak day you might get something like that. But it is important that we show the St Vincents of this world that we are a superior team as well and as such we will play to win. I’m a footballer once I go past that white line and I always want to win,” Yorke said at Thursday’s press conference at the Clico Box, Queen’s Park Oval.
Vranes, who knows Yorke and some of the current players, added “Our recent success didn’t come easily and the team has developed bit by bit every month. I believe we are a stronger team than the last World Cup and while we have young players, they are hungry to do well and they will want to defeat Trinidad after the success in the Digicel Cup first round in Jamaica. We know Trinidad will have their pros but that doesn’t matter because I want to confirm what St Vincent also have. My players also need some more exposure and this game will show them part of what top level football is about,” Vranes added.

John has Mickey on his mind

Coventry City striker has more than playing St Vincent and the Grenadines on his mind. And while he knows matches like these  are no longer there for light thinking, he is remembering a close friend as he reunites with his national teammates this week.
Tuesday marked five years since former National striker Mickey Trotman lost his life in a vehicular accident right around the same  time the national team was getting ready for a 2002 World Cup qualifier against Honduras.
John wore a t shirt with Trotman’s photo spread across the front under his playing shirt at the 2006 World Cup in memory of the Arima-born player.
“We will remember Mickey to this day and especially with some of us still on the national team coming together for this game. It was a moment in there for him when I had to go on the training pitch on Tuesday,” John said.
“I wore a shirt for him at the World Cup because ever since our early playing days he was the one who used to be saying one day we have got to play in a World Cup. And in a way I did it there with the other guys for him as well. We have these two games coming up and I will want to mark my 100th appearance with him in mind as well. I want to make special mention to his mother and aunt and the rest of his family who have not had a easy time coming to terms with the loss of the two sons. But his name has kept on and will always be around once we here,” John added.
“Mickey’s death should also show us how careful we need to be out there. I specially want to make an appeal to everyone on the roads here because  too many times when I go on the internet back in Birmingham I always see news about someone dying on the roads and we need to take it down a bit. I use my seatbelts and I am careful on the roads because it’s not nice to get damaged on the wheels and hopefully we can be more careful with these things.”

Birchall would like to ‘buss’ the net again

It seems that the young English-born midfielder is kick the ball even better since his first taste of action in the English Championship Division with Coventry City.
So much so that in training so far this week, he has raised eyebrows and gotten the smiles from his teammates with his fluent strikes.
“It’s good to be doing it in Trinidad again because I feel as though I haven’t been here in a while maybe because I am always looking forward to it,” Birchall said. “The experience at Coventry with Stern and the other guys has been a great one especially with the World Cup under my belt. I have worked harder at certain parts of my game and hopefully this will benefit me both on the club and international level. I certainly will love to nick a couple more for the country and this match on the weekend will be a perfect chance. I hope we can continue where we left off on the road to South Africa now,” Birchall added.
News from the 05th October 2006.

Dwights back in the blend.

Skipper Dwight Yorke was out on the pitch in his usual bubbly self on Wednesday morning as he rejoined his national teammates for the first time since the 2006 World Cup for preparations ahead of Saturdays’ friendly international against St Vincent and the Grenadines.
Yorke arrived on Tuesday and went through his paces at the Larry Gomes Stadium while head coach Wim Rijsbergen, Jan Van Deinsen and Anton Corneal worked with the players in separate groups. Van Deinsen and Corneal focused on some of the new faces while Yorke and the regulars worked on finishing.
While Yorke became the last overseas-based player to complete the list, the TTFF was informed on Wednesday that FIFA has blocked goalkeeper Clayton Ince from playing for his Walsall club during the period the request for his services had been made for.
Initially Ince’s services was requested for the two friendlies on October 7 and 11 but Walsall asked that he be excused due to a groin strain which the stated needed time for healing. While Ince added that he was excused from training for the club, it did not however affect him for playing their matches.
FIFA has since added: “We made it clear with The FA that their affiliated club Walsall FC is forbidden from using the services of the player Clayton Ince during the period for which he has been released or should have been released and that this restriction shall be prolonged by five days in the event that the player, for whatsoever reason, did not wish or was unable to comply with the summons.”
Walsall stated that due to its squad limited size, they have had to use Ince with strapped legs and with a teammate taking goal kicks. The club also confirmed that a hospital scan on Wednesday confirmed that Ince has a small tear in his thigh and groin.
But on learning of FIFA’s decision, Walsall FC subsequently wrote to the TTFF on Wednesday stating that Ince was now prepared to arrive in Trinidad on the weekend and be available for next Wednesday’s match against Panama. They also requested that the TTFF reconsider FIFA’s decision to prevent Ince from playing for the club. The TTFF has since rejected Ince’s offer to play versus Panama, rather preferring that he remains in England away from any match action and be fully healed from his injury which will better benefit all parties involved.
And while Dennis Lawrence said yesterday that his club Swansea City expects to have a formidable relationship with the TTFF regarding his playing status for both parties, he is also one of the players among three others – Chris Birchall, Stern John and Collin Samuel – which FIFA states it has informed the English FA and the Scottish FA should be available to T&T for both matches. Dundee United boss Craig Brewster earlier insisted that Samuel must return to his club after Saturday’s match. Coventry City is also contesting the necessity for John and Birchall to play for their country in these two games. At first they requested that the players miss both games and having since released them for the first international on Saturday, they expect that T&T should be satisfied by that. In spite of this, the clubs involved and the TTFF see the need for there to be a cordial understanding for future matters.

Tobago’s Jack on a stepping stone

Meantime, the T&T players will train at the Hasely Crawford Stadium for the remainder of the week following repairs done to the playing surface. And so far, Risjbergen has been trying to get his players to respond accordingly. And if you ask Tobago boy Dwayne Jack who played once before in the Digicel Cup back in 2004, he is taking it all in good stride.
“First of all it’s a pleasure to be working with these guys because I know they bring a certain experience to the table. For me coming from Tobago and from the club Tobago United, I am hoping to take everything out of this camp with me and of course the chance to play in either of the games will be a bonus,” Jack told TTFF Media. “ I know it’s a period where the coaches are trying to build a team for 2010 and I want to be part of it. This is a stepping stone and I’m sure guys like myself based in the Pro League will benefit,” added Jack who is working on the same field with Yorke for the first time in his career.

Photos of T&T in training courtesy of Shaun Fuentes.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 07:36:15 AM by Flex »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

1]; } ?>