April 24, 2024, 08:43:46 AM

Author Topic: Caribbean/BWIA Airlines Thread.  (Read 140048 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Caribbean Airlines Thread.
« Reply #450 on: May 24, 2012, 08:42:43 AM »
They betta doh play because ah done buy meh ticket to fly wit dem for d UK.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: May 24, 2012, 12:21:58 PM »
Mariano Browne, former Minister in the Ministry of Finance, did an extensive discussion on the CAL situation over the last two Fridays on his programme on I95.5 fm.  I have found his programme to be very informative and even though on Fridays I like to stay away from the political stuff and talk radio generally, I find his programme to be very good and without a pro-PNM/political slant.  He just delivers good, good information.  So I take a listen.....

Anywho, he said that the London route was given up by the previous board (the one headed by the man whose only claim to fame is selling Sunshine Snacks in "Sah Wha"  ::)), because it was an unprofitable route.   He also said that no cash was paid for Air Jamaica in response to the claim that CAL burn through cash in two years for things like payment for Air Jamaica.  I think he also said that CAL didn't take any of Air Jamaica's debt, the Jamaican government took up that......

But say what....we have a board now headed by a man who have real common sense so CAL in good hands....right Deviant??   ::)
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #452 on: May 27, 2012, 04:32:38 AM »
NEW RIDE for cal boss
Caribbean Airlines leases Prado SUV for chairman
By Asha Javeed (Express).

In the face of a $339 million loss, State carrier Caribbean Airlines is now paying $20,000 a month to local company Triple D Rentals to lease a Toyota Prado vehicle for chairman Rabindra Moonan.

The Sunday Express understands that Moonan initially requested an Audi Q7 to be leased for the chairman's use but subsequently changed his preference to the Prado.

The Sunday Express was told that it actually cost the airline more to lease the PCL-licensed Prado than the Audi Q7.

Moonan requested the vehicle be delivered on the first day of his board meeting on May 9.

It was authorised by CAL's legal department.

Contacted yesterday, Moonan asked why this issue was news.

"CAL may have leased a Prado for themselves and they have used it to transport me to various events. If there are any events which I attend on behalf of the company, the company provides me with transport," he told the Sunday Express.

When it was pointed out that former chairmen did not enjoy such luxuries, Moonan defended the lease: "The last chairman was George Nicholas III. I live in San Fernando. At times, I have to go to three meetings in one day."

CAL sources explained that it was an unusual development in the company as only board fees have traditionally been paid to the directors.

But the State Enterprises Performance Monitoring Manual titled: "Improving The Corporate Governance Framework for State Enterprises" published by the Ministry of Finance in July 2011 and given to all State appointees states under the Car Loans section: "Company cars of car loans should not be granted to chairmen or directors."

Further the manual lists exactly what chairmen are entitled to: a monthly fee and a travelling allowance.

The Sunday Express understands the chairman of CAL is paid a meeting fee of $7,000 and is entitled to $1,000 in travelling.

The vice chair is paid $6,500 per meeting and is entitled to a $750 travelling allowance while directors are paid $5,500 meeting fee with a $500 travelling allowance.

The Ministry of Finance held a workshop for all State appointees last year to make them aware of their fiduciary responsibilities.

That meeting was attended by Nicholas.

Moonan explained that his focus was on the "bigger picture" at CAL.

At the moment, the airline is facing "operational risk" with its debt challenges.

Finance Minister Winston Dookeran had said Government will have to intervene to keep the airline flying even as it faces some US$140 million in bills—$40 million to various entities and US$100 million to France's Aviones de Transport Regional (ATR) .

Dookeran said his ministry had asked the State airline for a list of its financial requirements and a business plan for the future which will inform the amount and type of intervention which the government will pursue for CAL.

On May 4, Dookeran disclosed to Parliament that the airline made an unaudited loss of US$52.8 million ($339.5 million) for 2011 while Air Jamaica recorded an unaudited loss of US$38.1 million ($245.2 million) for 2011.

Despite the losses, CAL remains committed to expanding its network to London next month for the London 2012 Olympics. Transport Minister Devant Maharaj has said the route's feasibility will be reviewed after six weeks.

But the Sunday Express learned that the airline was recently facing problems with getting its two aircraft for the route prepared in time and it resulted in a slashing of flights which were previously proposed. It was learned that one aircraft would operate the route from June 14-29 while the other aircraft will start from June 30.

Rabindra Moonan

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: May 27, 2012, 07:15:26 AM »
Me eh no commercial travel expert. But if there is a demand for certain routes, why can CAL make a profit or break even.

Countries like Singapore and UAE can do so well, why can't we even come close to breaking even.

VB

Cuz they running the thing like a parlour (not me say so, is Allan Clovis say so), they flying to unprofitable routes like London and Panama......and the recently appointed Chairman's first order of business was to looking to ordering an Audi Q7......dais the fella with common sense, quite unlike the previous chairman (not George Boy) whose only claim to fame is selling Sunshine Snacks in "Sah Wha" (not me say so is Deviant say so)........

Yuh still confused??.....

.........as I was saying........smdh.....three more years of this shyte..... ::) ::)
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: May 27, 2012, 09:23:36 AM »
Meanwhile workers bonus jumping up.

Lok Jack and Brunton at least had a plan. But....dis musbe a CEPEPP gang we running here.

Say what ent?

Them belly full, but we hungry;
A hungry mob is a angry mob.
A rain ah fall, but the dirt it tough;
A pot ah cook, but the food nuh nuff
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 09:44:20 AM by Bourbon »
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: May 28, 2012, 11:55:25 AM »
They betta doh play because ah done buy meh ticket to fly wit dem for d UK.

Well dey play meh plans change SMH SMH SMH. I just hv 2 pray now they go and bring meh bck.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Caribbean Airlines needs planes
« Reply #456 on: August 14, 2012, 02:50:01 AM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/businessday/0,164536.html

Caribbean Airlines needs planes
By Vernon Khelawan Thursday, August 9 2012

CARIBBEAN Airlines Limited (CAL) is expected to take delivery of its third ATR-72-600 by the end of this week.

This came from a well-placed Piarco source late last week, however, the actual date could not yet be confirmed, because discussions on the payment for the aircraft were ongoing and expected to be finalised on Monday.

Business Day also learned that the other six aircraft would be delivered on a monthly basis, quite similar to the original arrangement, except there still seems to be some difficulties surrounding the sourcing of cash to pay for each individual aircraft before delivery. As it stands the fourth aircraft is expected before the end of September.

The inability of the airline to take possession of the planes according to the original schedule has caused serious problems on the airbridge, mainly because of a shortage of pilots, since many of the cockpit crews who operated the airline’s Dash-8-300 fleet were sent for training on the ATRs. Also, the plans as Business Day understands it, were to take the Dash-8s offline and replace them with the ATRs as they came in every month according to the original plans. But this never happened.

CAL is in such desperate need of these new planes that even though the aircraft has not yet arrived in Trinidad, CAL has already placed the third aircraft on the airbridge schedule, beginning the third week in September. Weekends proved to be nightmares last month and many have been the occasions when there was need to press into airbridge service one of the B-737s to reduce the long standby list at both ends – Piarco International in Trinidad and the Arthur Robinson International in Tobago.

And while on the subject of airplanes, Caribbean Airlines has not yet been apprised by the Trinidad and Tobago Civil Aviation Authority (TTCAA) about the certification status of the two B-767ER-216 aircraft the airline has leased from Chilean airline LAN Chile, specifically to operate the London service to Gatwick.

While that service has been operating for almost two months, no word has come publicly from the TTCAA as to when these two planes, which remain sitting in a hangar at an airport in Mexico City, would be able to fly into Trinidad. At the launch of the London service on June 14 last, there was talk that the planes would have been in Trinidad. That too, has not happened.

What also has not happened is a public final report on the Caribbean Airlines B-737 aircraft which skidded off the runway at Cheddi Jagan International in Guyana on the night of July 30 2011.

The Guyana Civil Aviation Authority has already submitted its own findings, which has attributed the accident to pilot error. The US authorities, who were also involved in the investigations, have remained silent on the matter.

According to the Guyana report, its probe indicated that the pilot had overshot the runway, going past the normal touchdown point and the out of control aircraft careened into a perimeter fence and split in two. These findings did not go down too well with the TTCAA which insisted at the time that investigations were still being conducted.

And even as the anniversary date flew past last week, there is no indication of exactly where the probe is right now and how much longer it would take before the findings are made known to the public.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: August 14, 2012, 11:39:38 AM »
And thats what people know about.... ::)
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #458 on: October 18, 2012, 03:33:42 AM »

FIT FOR FLIGHT: One of the two Boeing 767 aircraft being leased from Land Chile for Caribbean Airline (CAL)'s London route. CAL assured the aircraft is "perfectly functional to fly" the trans-Atlantic route after concerns were raised in the Senate yesterday.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #459 on: October 18, 2012, 03:38:47 AM »

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: October 18, 2012, 04:02:38 AM »
VIDEO - CAL under US and local investigations

I have a lady friend whom i picked up @ the airport recently , and she was complaining how the plane she came up on was way too small, now this is a lady who flies regular so she knows the equipment (737 800) that CAL normally use for the POS JFK route.

she said the plane was a jet but much smaller than what she usually travel on, is there a smaller jet in their fleet that services the POS JFK route now?
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
Part of Caribbean Airlines plane's engine falls off
« Reply #461 on: October 26, 2012, 09:02:09 AM »
(via CCN TV6 on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CCNTV6/posts/452721258103405:beermug:

CAL confirms that part of the engine of an aircraft BW Flight 300 fell off. It returned to Piarco Int'l Airport. The passengers are now at Piarco Terminal awaiting another flight to Caracas

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Part of Caribbean Airlines plane's engine falls off
« Reply #462 on: October 26, 2012, 09:36:51 AM »
Heard it was part of the engine cowling that fell off (the protective covering of the engine). This is one of the brand new aircraft so I'm hoping it's not a problem with the aircraft itself....Maybe the mechanics were working on the engine and didn't secure the cowling properly afterwards. Although I don't think passenger safety was compromised, I don't think this is the kind of publicity CAL needs at this time  :(

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: October 26, 2012, 09:42:52 AM »
-_-
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: October 26, 2012, 09:48:25 AM »
all of a sudden :( :(
I pity the fool....

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: October 26, 2012, 10:28:08 AM »
all of a sudden :( :(

ENTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #466 on: May 08, 2013, 03:26:01 AM »
CAL staff angry as top executive orders US$20,000 trip for 19 ‘friends’
By Anika Gumbs-Sandiford (Guardian).

Vice-chairman of Caribbean Airlines Ltd (CAL) Mohan Jaikaran is proving the state enterprise is not cash-strapped, as he has requested 19 complimentary airline tickets for a Mother’s Day concert scheduled for New York City and Toronto this weekend, of which he is a co-promoter. The directive caused raised eyebrows among management, as two weeks ago there were reports that the national carrier had once again turned to the Government for funding, to the tune of $100 million.

Jaikaran, however, denied the airline was facing money woes and instead insisted it was “heading in the right direction.” T&T Guardian learned that last week, Jaikaran, who is also the chairman of WIN Communications Ltd (WINTV), gave instructions via e-mail for the tickets to be booked free of charge. The T&T Guardian learned loss of revenue for the tickets was estimated at approximately US$20,000. Only taxes were paid on the tickets.

Checks at the airline yesterday revealed that a ticket from Piarco International Airport to John F Kennedy International Airport during the month of May costs US$725.80, and a flight to Toronto’s Lester B Pearson International costs US$345.20 for the same period. The concert, which is being advertised on the Web site of the television station, takes place on Saturday at Double Tree by Hilton Hotel near the Toronto Airport and on Sunday (Mother’s Day) at Jamaica Avenue, Richmond Hill, New York.

Performers include Raymond & Dil-E-Nadan, Ravi B & Karma, and KI & 3Veni Band. Jaikaran is listed as a co-promoter of the event. Attempts to get a comment from Jaikaran yesterday were unsuccessful, as telephone calls and text messages went unanswered. Up to yesterday, nine of the 19 tickets had been confirmed and the other ten were awaiting flights and times before being confirmed.

CAL officials said yesterday this was not the first time such a directive had been issued by a high-ranking CAL official, adding that the company was being denied thousands of dollars in revenue at the same time it was depending on the Government for help. “Proper procedures are not being followed,” a top management official told the T&T Guardian. “Directives are just being given. The relevant parties are being bypassed and this is not how it is supposed to be.

“What we are having are upgrades free of charge and people receiving free tickets to travel around the world. People are being upgraded from economy to first class by a telephone call.”

The official added that sponsorship deals to WINTV were also being queried by employees. The deals were said to be more than $200,000 for last year alone. As a result of the recent developments, senior CAL staff have expressed frustration over the present management style and may protest today, when the board is scheduled to meet.

Sources said yesterday that acting CAL CEO Robert Corbie, who had butted heads with some executives over recent decisions, had gone on seven days’ leave. Staff are now calling on line minister Chandresh Sharma to investigate the operations of CAL. In response to a text message sent by T&T Guardian to Sharma yesterday, asking if he was aware of the request for the complimentary tickets, the minister said, “No.”

Telephone calls to CAL chairman Rabindra Moonan were also unsuccessful as he did not return calls or messages left. While the airline struggles to stay afloat, T&T Guardian investigations showed a 50 per cent discount was approved on 25 airline tickets to Toronto. The ticket request was for the 2012 WINTV Chutney in the Park at the Caribana festival. The T&T Guardian also obtained copies of invoices showing that for 2012, the airline also contributed to:

WINTV pageant—$2,500
WIN Radio spots closing and opening credits—$48,000
WIN Communications package for NCIC Indian Arrival Day celebrations—$28,750
WIN Web site banner—$51,117.50
WINTV T20 Games held in Fort Lauderdale (four confirmed economy tickets)—$50,000
WINTV Chutney in the Park Caribana (50 per cent of 25 tickets)—$48,000
WINTV Divali Queen show —$50,000
Maracas New York City Liberty Avenue Divali 2012 (two tickets to a Caribbean destination as a door prize)—$8,694
WIN Radio Wet Fete (January 13, 2013 and Green Event February 3, 2013)—$30,000
WIN Radio live link-up from New York 10.30 am to 11.30 am (January 20-December 31)-$72,000

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: May 08, 2013, 03:40:44 AM »
Mariano Browne, former Minister in the Ministry of Finance, did an extensive discussion on the CAL situation over the last two Fridays on his programme on I95.5 fm.  I have found his programme to be very informative and even though on Fridays I like to stay away from the political stuff and talk radio generally, I find his programme to be very good and without a pro-PNM/political slant.  He just delivers good, good information.  So I take a listen.....

Anywho, he said that the London route was given up by the previous board (the one headed by the man whose only claim to fame is selling Sunshine Snacks in "Sah Wha"  ::)), because it was an unprofitable route.   He also said that no cash was paid for Air Jamaica in response to the claim that CAL burn through cash in two years for things like payment for Air Jamaica.  I think he also said that CAL didn't take any of Air Jamaica's debt, the Jamaican government took up that......

But say what....we have a board now headed by a man who have real common sense so CAL in good hands....right Deviant??   ::)

I start taking this flight and it is always full.
Loads of Surinamese and Guyanese using it.
So maybe it is making some money now
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: May 08, 2013, 08:31:02 AM »
After the stress Cbb Islands but me through last year as I headed to the London Olympics I really eh want to hear bout them.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #469 on: May 09, 2013, 02:58:41 AM »
CAL Five Absent
Board fails to meet after ‘free tickets’ report
Anika Gumbs-Sandiford (Guardian).

The board of Caribbean Airlines Ltd (CAL) did not meet yesterday as scheduled because  vice-chairman Mohan Jaikaran and other directors were absent. Jaikaran, who is also the chairman of WIN Communications Ltd (WINTV), was among five directors who were a no-show yesterday. The other absentee directors were Gizelle Russell, Avedanand Persad, Venosh Sagewan-Maraj and the Jamaican representative, Dennis Lalor.

T&T Guardian learned chairman Rabindra Moonan was the lone director who turned up at CAL yesterday after the board meeting was cancelled. An exclusive T&T Guardian story yesterday reported that Jaikaran had requested 19 complimentary tickets for a Mother’s Day concert scheduled for New York City and Toronto this weekend.

After the publication of the article yesterday, a number of people telephoned the T&T Guardian to complain the next available flight to John F Kennedy International Airport was on May 26. Several questioned whether they were “bumped off” flights to facilitate Jaikaran’s request. When the T&T Guardian called to ask about flights to New York, a reservation clerk confirmed the next available flight was on May 26.

Contacted yesterday, Moonan confirmed that the board meeting did not take place. “Two directors called in sick and the other three directors had other engagements,” Moonan said. Asked if he was aware that a directive had been given by Jaikaran to issue the 19 complimentary tickets to him, Moonan said: “What I found out is that no directive was given. An application was made for sponsorship for some bands to go to Toronto and New York and it was approved at a management level.”

The 19 tickets did not have to go to the board for approval, he said. “Management approves that. It would have been between the marketing department and the acting CEO, Robert Corbie.” Told that information obtained by the T&T Guardian revealed that Corbie had not approved the 19 complimentary tickets, Moonan replied: “The information you have probably is different to the information that was made available to me.”

Performers carded for the concert include Raymond & Dil-E-Nadan, Ravi B & Karma, and KI & 3Veni Band. The concert is being held on Saturday at the Double Tree by Hilton Hotel near the Toronto airport and on Sunday (Mother’s Day) at Jamaica Avenue, Richmond Hill, New York. Jaikaran is listed as a co-promoter of the event.

Moonan dismissed the suggestion there might be a conflict of interest between Jaikaran’s employment as vice-chairman at CAL and executive chairman of WINTV. “I am not aware there is a conflict of interest.  My information is that these particular shows have been going on for the longest while. He has been receiving sponsorship from both BWIA and CAL.”

Asked if it was the norm for BWIA or CAL (which replaced BWIA in 2007) to give Jaikaran 19 complimentary tickets, Moonan said: “No, I do not have the exact amount but what I am saying it is part of the normal sponsorship programme.” Moonan said last year CAL also sponsored airline tickets for the Olympic team. “Last year we approved tickets for the entire Olympic team which is part of our normal management practices.”

Moonan said CAL also sponsored airline tickets for two reporters from radio station I95.5 to attend a function in London. He did not disclose their names. He said the airline had also sponsored tickets for the Red Cross Society  and various sporting organisations.   
Jaikaran did not respond to telephone calls or text messages sent by the T&T Guardian yesterday.

Mohan Jaikaran

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: May 09, 2013, 04:55:05 AM »
After the stress Cbb Islands but me through last year as I headed to the London Olympics I really eh want to hear bout them.

Dais which airline??....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: May 09, 2013, 05:34:08 AM »

Dais which airline??....

:rotfl: :rotfl: by now u shld b usd to W69 srthd
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: May 09, 2013, 10:54:50 AM »

Dais which airline??....

I should have booked on them instead I might not have had to go on Monarch never again. Imagine yuh hand bag is yuh hand luggage. MONARCH NEVER AGAIN.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: May 10, 2013, 05:43:05 AM »

Dais which airline??....

:rotfl: :rotfl: by now u shld b usd to W69 srthd

I usually can interpret what she means but she stumped me this time..... ;D
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: May 11, 2013, 09:53:46 PM »
Wait nah..how allyuhbdoes put up with these things, and focus on football..
200 million ? 60 million in credit card fraud..I is the only person cyah sleep on this?

Left and right millions , billions..stolen, overlooked wasted, taken out the country...and we arguing bout football

For real..well dat is Allyuh, I focusing on these mudda ass crooks now & in future...everybody know and nobody doing nothing?

WRITE OFF, easy so
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 10:03:16 PM by maxg »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #475 on: May 12, 2013, 02:53:58 AM »
$200m CAL WRITE-OFF
State airline loses out on cargo, credit card payments for tickets

State carrier Caribbean Airlines (CAL) is facing a potential write-off of approximately $200 million in losses, including $60 million lost from what executives say could amount to credit card fraud related to airline ticket purchases.

More than $100 million has already had to be written off from the company’s cargo department.

A report submitted to the CAL board of directors recently stated the losses were incurred because there were no policies in place to ensure the enterprise got its earnings. 

Four executives from the company’s management team, who had oversight over those operations but failed to stop the haemorrhage from the company or come up with solutions to recover the money lost, have been identified by other senior staff for the losses. 

The Sunday Express obtained a series of e-mails and documents last week which point to questionable actions by management of the company with regard to several multi-million dollar transactions which have handicapped the organisation financially.

The Sunday Express understands the CAL board has already sanctioned an independent company to conduct an audit of the multi-million cargo losses and has instructed the management team to fix the credit card issues related to ticket purchases.

With regard to the credit card problems, the Sunday Express understands basic principles were not followed when tickets were booked.
It has cost the company millions, sources close to the operations explained.

Since the inception of CAL, the Sunday Express learnt that management never adopted the basic controls required for online and call centre credit card transactions and was not concerned about the millions of dollars these lack of controls cost the company.

With regard to the cargo revenues, the Sunday Express understands the losses occurred in 2011 and 2012.

For 2011, the company will write down $21.4 million of overstated revenue and will write off $40.4 million of uncollected cargo revenue.
CAL, the Sunday Express learnt, could not determine if all manual invoices raised have been settled.

In 2012, the company will write down $43 million of overstated revenue, and will write off $44.3 million of uncollected cargo revenue.
“It has not been sufficiently determined since the invoices are done manually as such there is no accurate method to track if payment is collected on all invoices,” the note read.

The Sunday Express understands that when CAL began operations in 2007, it simply had an “honour” agreement with its cargo operators who paid the company afterwards and as such, was always in the red with payments as CAL was never up to date on invoicing its customers. 

The Sunday Express learnt the independent review of the cargo issues will be presented to the board this week and it is expected a senior executive could be dismissed.

Another executive, speaking to the Sunday Express on condition of anonymity, pointed out that it was “gross negligence” and “incompetence” on the part of CAL’s management over the past three years which led the company to its present state.

While the executive conceded that CAL was to some extent mirco-managed by its board, he pointed out the management was hired to run the organisation for its best interest while the board is supposed to be principally focused on governance issues.

Some executives further allege certain officials at the airline sought to ingratiate themselves to the board but never sought the best interest of the company.

Several attempts to reach CAL’s acting chief executive, Robert Corbie, yesterday to respond to the allegations and finger-pointing at several of his senior staff members were futile.

The Sunday Express understands he is out of the country but is expected back next week.

While the issue of the losses and fraud have been known to the company’s executives within the last month, some executives questioned why this had not been as “leak worthy” to the press as the tickets and upgrade requests of the company’s vice-chairman, Mohan Jaikaran.

“It is a well-known fact that these executives have not and would not make any decision and when engaging the board would take suggestions, provide feedback and carry it out without question. They would then turn it around and communicate to the general staff that the board were giving these guidance or suggestions as directives,” another staff member said.

To illustrate their point, the executives pointed to a Guardian story on Jaikaran’s request for CAL’s sponsorship of a Mother’s Day concert in Toronto, Canada, in the form of tax only tickets.

They observed it was never a board decision but a decision taken by CAL’s marketing department.

In an e-mail dated April 26, acting chief executive Corbie wrote to Alicia Cabrera, CAL’s senior marketing manager, and copied its corporate secretary, Nalini Lalla: “Alicia as per meeting the VC (vice chair) this morning and the coverage (if you are ok with the levels of returns) we will proceed as requested.”

They further observed that Jaikaran’s request to upgrade passengers who included manager of the West Indies cricket team Omar Khan; chairman of the Trinidad and Tobago Electricity Commission (T&TEC), Sushilla Ramkissoon-Mark; chairman of National Petroleum (NP), Neil Gosine, and family; Minister of Legal Affairs, Prakash Ramadhar, and his wife; CrimeWatch host Ian Alleyne, and his spouse and child; chairman of the National Self Help Commission, Surujdeo Mangaroo, and Nadra Mangaroo; attorney Kelvin Ramkissoon; former Miss Universe, Janelle Commissiong; among others, cost the company less than the mismanagement which has taken place over the past three years.

Another executive, when asked for comment, was concerned about “how the public is being distracted with a few thousands of dollars in upgrades when in fact, the (chief financial officer) has now exposed hundreds of millions in write-offs from cargo and credit card, insurance claims never being claimed since the inception of CAL”.

Another was concerned about how the leaks have put the company at risk legally by divulging travel itinerary and personal travel plans of certain individuals which is in contravention of CAL’s policy.

“It is time for CAL’s executives to be executives and act decisively in carrying out the transformation plan, communicating with internal and external customers. The team realises that confidence needs to be built in CAL’s product and our focus should be on that and not on leaking information,” said another executive, who was also reluctant to be named.

The losses are separate from the credit crunch which CAL is seeking to crawl out off.

In 2012, CAL’s unsubsidised cash flow was a deficit of US$234 million for 2012. To this end, the airline embarked on a Stabilisation and Transformation Road Map, to incrementally reduce cost and streamline the airline’s operations once more.

In a statement issued to staff by the company explaining the state of affairs at CAL, which the Sunday Express was privy to, it was explained: “The unsubsidised cash flow deficit of US$234 million for 2012 arose primarily as a result of reckless management decision to purchase nine ATR aircraft at a total cost of US$174 million out of operational cash flows.

“This cash purchase was chosen over an alternative leasing arrangement which is the norm in the airline industry. This decision put extreme pressure on the airline’s cash flow.” (See table)

The statement explained to staff that the operational deficit of US$120 million was financed by short-terms loans which totalled US$114.2 million.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: May 12, 2013, 05:15:39 AM »
Who are these clowns?

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: May 12, 2013, 06:05:13 AM »
What i don't understand is that since the Lok Jack board was terminated with a reported positive ledger balance, how could things degenerate to this level now?

This is a national tragedy, such a potential rich initiative now pretty much back to the 90s style BWEE mantra
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: May 12, 2013, 06:14:51 AM »
diaz what does happen when yuh give what essentially is ah parlour man ah airline to run......

« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 08:23:48 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: May 12, 2013, 06:46:37 AM »
$200m CAL WRITE-OFF
State airline loses out on cargo, credit card payments for tickets

Four executives from the company’s management team, who had oversight over those operations but failed to stop the haemorrhage from the company or come up with solutions to recover the money lost, have been identified by other senior staff for the losses. 

The Sunday Express obtained a series of e-mails and documents last week which point to questionable actions by management of the company with regard to several multi-million dollar transactions which have handicapped the organisation financially.

With regard to the cargo revenues, the Sunday Express understands the losses occurred in 2011 and 2012.

For 2011, the company will write down $21.4 million of overstated revenue and will write off $40.4 million of uncollected cargo revenue.
CAL, the Sunday Express learnt, could not determine if all manual invoices raised have been settled.

In 2012, the company will write down $43 million of overstated revenue, and will write off $44.3 million of uncollected cargo revenue.
“It has not been sufficiently determined since the invoices are done manually as such there is no accurate method to track if payment is collected on all invoices,” the note read.

Another executive, speaking to the Sunday Express on condition of anonymity, pointed out that it was “gross negligence” and “incompetence” on the part of CAL’s management over the past three years which led the company to its present state.

Some executives further allege certain officials at the airline sought to ingratiate themselves to the board but never sought the best interest of the company.

They further observed that Jaikaran’s request to upgrade passengers who included manager of the West Indies cricket team Omar Khan; chairman of the Trinidad and Tobago Electricity Commission (T&TEC), Sushilla Ramkissoon-Mark; chairman of National Petroleum (NP), Neil Gosine, and family; Minister of Legal Affairs, Prakash Ramadhar, and his wife; CrimeWatch host Ian Alleyne, and his spouse and child; chairman of the National Self Help Commission, Surujdeo Mangaroo, and Nadra Mangaroo; attorney Kelvin Ramkissoon; former Miss Universe, Janelle Commissiong; among others, cost the company less than the mismanagement which has taken place over the past three years.

The losses are separate from the credit crunch which CAL is seeking to crawl out off.

In a statement issued to staff by the company explaining the state of affairs at CAL, which the Sunday Express was privy to, it was explained: “The unsubsidised cash flow deficit of US$234 million for 2012 arose primarily as a result of reckless management decision to purchase nine ATR aircraft at a total cost of US$174 million out of operational cash flows.

“This cash purchase was chosen over an alternative leasing arrangement which is the norm in the airline industry. This decision put extreme pressure on the airline’s cash flow.” (See table)

1]; } ?>