March 19, 2024, 03:45:43 AM

Author Topic: Caribbean/BWIA Airlines Thread.  (Read 138771 times)

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
Re: Trinidad and Tobago unveils new airline
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2006, 07:39:41 PM »

I don't understand why they give up the London run
I doing the return run 6 times a year for the past 5 ( 60 flights) and only a couple of times they had less than 75% occupancy.
Of course most of the tourists dropping out Antigua, St Lucia and Barbados,
It have to be a lie that they losing money on that run.
Is all the other stupid decisions they make as far routes are concerned.

75% occupancy, but only 10% punctuality

good riddance

yeah but at least ya ass was safe and sound
and ya sure tur reach where ya going
furthermore y aain't go find another airline dat flight attendants treat ya like dey know ya for years...
doh care dey hips useta slap ya in ya face in dey asle seat

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2006, 07:44:18 PM »
yeah service was real bad recently, my last flight I only had 4 rum punch ;D ;D
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 05:09:49 AM by RedHowler »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2006, 11:21:17 PM »
 De plane grounded now. Paint falling off de tail.  :rotfl: :rotfl:
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2006, 11:36:05 PM »

Barely one week after Caribbean Airlines hosted a gala launch to show off its newly branded Boeing 737, the Hummingbird-adorned aircraft has had its wings clipped.

The Civil Aviation Authority grounded the newly painted Caribbean Airlines flagship after the Humming Bird logo on the aircraft’s tail started peeling-off, sources told the Guardian.

This comes less than two weeks after the aircraft’s new paint job was completed and amid concerns that Caribbean Airline's management did not receive the proper international authorisations for placing the logo.

Sources said the problems with the paint job were discovered on Saturday, during a routine stop in Barbados. They revealed that a member of the ground engineering team in Barbados informed the aircraft’s flight crew that patches were missing from the Humming Bird’s wings.

According to reports from airport staff, on the aircraft’s arrival at the Piarco International Airport, Trinidad, huge patches of the Humming Bird was seen to be missing.

Attempts to reach the airline’s director of corporate affairs Dionne Ligoure were futile. Sources said she was home on some sick leave.

When interviewed by the Guardian prior to the launch of Caribbean Airlines in October, the airline’s Welsh chief executive officer Peter Davies refused to give a figure for the cost of rebranding the BWIA fleet, which included painting the aircraft.

The flight of the Caribbean Airlines Hummingbird comes in the wake of concerns raised by Pan Trinbago president Patrick Arnold. Arnold expressed displeasure at Caribbean Airline’s decision to discard the steelpan in favour of the Humming Bird.

In a release, Arnold questioned why the management of Caribbean Airlines would choose to replace T&T’s indigenous instrument, the steelpan, with a bird that is not unique to our island.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
'Keep pan logo on new airline'
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2006, 05:08:36 AM »
I think that the name of the airline should indicate a closer affiliation to Trinidad and Tobago.

'Keep pan logo on new airline'
Kristy Ramnarine

Saturday, December 2nd 2006

Pan Trinbago has criticised Government for its decision to remove the steelpan motif from the tailfin of airplanes acquired to serve routes flown by Caribbean Airways.

The organisation is now calling on the Government to use the steelpan motif on Caribbean Airways aircraft, as it was on BWIA aircraft.

In a telephone interview with the Express yesterday, the organisation's president, Patrick Arnold, said the hummingbird, which has replaced the steelpan motif, is not a true representation of this country.

"Since the species is not unique to our country, it cannot be seriously proffered as a Trinidad and Tobago trademark," he said.

"As far as we are aware, there has been no complaint from the travelling public about the steelpan motif, nor does it contravene any known regulation regarding airplane makings.

"In fact, the change appears to have resulted from nothing but a mixture of capricious thought and unchallenged authority."

Arnold said if the inspiration for representing the steelpan on BWIA aircraft remained as a mechanism for steering attention to the nation's creativity, the promotional message displayed on the tailfins of local airplanes should reflect that concept in a more definitive way. A hummingbird, he said, could never achieve.

"While T&T was once described as the land of the hummingbird, several countries now claim it as their identifier," he said.

"We are therefore suitably astonished by the decision to use a logo of such ubiquity that no viewer is likely to perceive it as exclusively Trini. We have a problem with that. We can't see the hummingbird replacing the steelpan motif."

The Pan Trinbago president urged Caribbean Airways to reinstate the steelpan as a matchless identifier of cultural heritage.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_news?id=161060812
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2006, 05:11:54 AM »
dais like the time I see a fella painting he trades van with a roller :rotfl:
maybe they used a roller also  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2006, 07:12:33 AM »
dais like the time I see a fella painting he trades van with a roller :rotfl:
maybe they used a roller also  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

nah .. was paint by numbers
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2006, 07:24:34 AM »

yeah if ya watch close it look like paint by numbers oui  :devil: :rotfl: :devil: :rotfl:
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2006, 07:54:11 AM »

yeah if ya watch close it look like paint by numbers oui  :devil: :rotfl: :devil: :rotfl:
a hummin bird is beat its wings up to 200 beats per second - if yuh look real close, dey wings beating - no wonder de paint fall off  :rotfl:

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2006, 07:57:35 AM »
 Yuh want tuh know de sad ting about dis.

Ah finally get mih company tuh sponsor a business seat ting fuh mih going back home for xmas, arrange with de travel organiser to book bwee.....well hear dis on de 21st of dec or before bwee no longer flying from (bw 901) london to trinidad , de plane stopping in b'dos and ah have to connect. also on mih return on 8th Jan she cant find no where to book either bwee or air caribbean.
So already they lying to people.
Dais it the end of Bwee for me . >:( >:( >:(

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2006, 08:07:05 AM »

Ah finally get mih company tuh sponsor a business seat ting fuh mih going back home for xmas, arrange with de travel organiser to book bwee.....well hear dis on de 21st of dec or before bwee no longer flying from (bw 901) london to trinidad , de plane stopping in b'dos and ah have to connect. also on mih return on 8th Jan she cant find no where to book either bwee or air caribbean.

good luck with yuh travel arrangements .. a man trying to support de local airlines but de airline not dere to support him ..

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2006, 08:17:16 AM »

good luck with yuh travel arrangements .. a man trying to support de local airlines but de airline not dere to support him ..

Ah have over 200K airmiles wid dem. Ah suppose ah could dream about where ah could of gone . :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2006, 08:54:54 AM »
all i wanna know is wha happening tur meh bwee air miles  >:(

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2006, 11:37:33 AM »

They say it rolling over to Caribbean Airlines.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2006, 02:07:08 PM »
They say it rolling over to Caribbean Airlines.
the real question den is
"But Will The Points Arrive ?"
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 04:03:45 PM by RedHowler »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2006, 03:28:26 PM »
so wait
is dey same seta plane with different colouring on it
dey same seta flight attendances and YES ah know dat fur ah fact
is dey same board ah directors
is dey same people dat making dey food next tur ttpost
is dey same baggage carriers
is dey same 'doh study we late - but we sure tur reach' mission statement
bwee air miles is now caribbean air miles

so wha dey difference again ???
and since is now 'caribbean' does dat mean each island putting in in dey kitty ??
wasn't bwia stands fur british 'west indian' airways and still is trinidad and tobago dat fit dey bill and take dey airline out ah bankrutcy like 3 times already...

so again wha is dey difference ???

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2006, 04:43:14 PM »
so wait
is dey same seta plane with different colouring on it
dey same seta flight attendances and YES ah know dat fur ah fact
is dey same board ah directors
is dey same people dat making dey food next tur ttpost
is dey same baggage carriers
is dey same 'doh study we late - but we sure tur reach' mission statement
bwee air miles is now caribbean air miles

so wha dey difference again ???
and since is now 'caribbean' does dat mean each island putting in in dey kitty ??
wasn't bwia stands fur british 'west indian' airways and still is trinidad and tobago dat fit dey bill and take dey airline out ah bankrutcy like 3 times already...

is called a re-organization ..

sell deh assets to a new company
stiff yuh creditors, get rid of debt
open up de new company
clean balance sheet

now I eh know if dis is what happen .. but I have seen it in action in Canada
stiff yuh creditors

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2006, 07:15:20 PM »

No unions allowed...so they say.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2007, 12:36:25 AM »
Trinidad Express
Stranded
Foreigners stuck in T&T after Carnival

Anna-Lisa Paul alpaul@trinidadexpress.com

Monday, February 26th 2007

A number of foreign visitors have been left stranded in Trinidad and Tobago after Carnival celebrations.

Despite having confirmed tickets to return to their respective countries, passengers could not depart Piarco International Airport yesterday because local carrier Caribbean Airlines overbooked flights leaving the country.

Several passengers, who came to Trinidad for Carnival last week, said they had been turned back at Piarco a number of times starting from Ash Wednesday.

They said they were told to return to the airport to catch another flight the next day but when they arrived, these flights were also fully booked.

Frustrated passengers said they were told by airline officials that they will have to spend at another week in the country, as seats will only become available on March 2.   :o

Passengers said they were also told they would have to pay extra to get a seat because there were no guarantees their current tickets would be honoured.
   :challenge:

A number of the stranded passengers said their jobs were now in jeopardy as they had already overstayed their vacation time in Trinidad.

Some of the visitors complained yesterday about the treatment meted out to them by airline officials.

At Piarco Airport yesterday, passengers were seen leaving the check-in counter, dragging their luggage behind them as they exited the doors to explain to family members what was happening.

Visitors also complained that they were not offered any kind of compensation by airline staff.

Leonard Hinds, a Trinidadian living in New York for the last nine years, feared that he would not have a job when he returned to the United States.

"I had a confirmed ticket and was supposed to leave Trinidad on February 23," he said.

Instead, Hinds, who was expected to return to his job as a technician with Yost and Campbell today, had been making the journey to the airport every day in the hope that he could get a flight.

He said he had been "bumped" from Caribbean Airlines's BW 526 flight departing Piarco last Friday. Hinds said the same thing occurred when he attempted to come to Trinidad on February 10.

He arrived in Trinidad on February 11, after being told the day before that the flight had been overbooked.

He has spent much of his time during the last few days travelling to the airport and back.

Margaret Welling, a teacher at the Cathedral School at Winchester, Hampshire, UK, was expected to resume her duties today as well.

Up to 2 p.m. yesterday, she was at the airport praying for her and partner, Clyde Paris, to get on a flight heading to Gatwick International Airport.

Welling and Paris had spent a week in St Kitts with their daughter, and after being sent to Barbados and then Trinidad to get a flight, the upset couple said they "get the impression that nobody cares".

Welling and Paris said they were also anxious about the type of treatment that could be meted out to visitors for the upcoming Cricket World Cup.

They said they had been given purple "Caricom bands" to wear around their wrists but the couple questioned the reason behind it as they believed that "nothing works".

Caribbean Airlines corporate communications director Dionne Ligoure was in London yesterday when she was contacted for comment.

She said she did not have information on the passengers and would have to contact the airline's local office for an update.

An industry source confirmed that the airline had overbooked flights and had been trying to accommodate passengers who were left behind.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
Caribbean Airlines first mis-step?
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2007, 12:40:07 AM »

Well I waiting to see what the airline say...what is true, what is not but this not looking good.

I hope for their sake is only a handful of people but holding them for a whole week is serious pressure.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2007, 08:26:31 AM »
Same crap, different name. National shame, as usual.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2007, 08:34:41 AM »
Jet Blue experienced the same type of situation here just last week, but that was weather related. I think the problem is that we have few planes in this fleet and it is hurting everyone big time. Carnival is the number one reason trini's come home and they should have been prepared to deal with this, but I wait to see the explanation for this one

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2007, 10:31:23 AM »
Trinidad & Tobago Newsday
Monday, February 26 2007
Travelspan passengers stranded

By RHONDOR DOWLAT

OVER 100 Travelspan passengers who came to Trinidad for the Carnival, were left stranded yesterday after their flight to Fort Lauderdale, Florida, was delayed.

This delay caused an upsetting stir among the passengers, some of whom were there at the Piarco International Airport from as early as 8 am yesterday.

The airport security had to be called in to quell the angry crowd, when some of the passengers demanded that they see an airline official. "We are not dogs and don't treat us like that. We need an explanation as to why the long delay," a passenger shouted as she stood in front of the Travelspan check-in counter.

Newsday understands that the flight XP49 was carded to depart for Ft Lauderdale at 16.45 yesterday but was delayed to 3 am today.

Speaking with Newsday an airport official, who wished not to be identified, claimed that the flight was delayed because the pilots were weary, in addition to which there was some sort of mechanical problem with the airplane.

Irrate first-time visitor to Trinidad Juanita Armorgan of Ft Lauderdale yesterday told Newsday that she was due to report to work for 8 pm last night and therefore could not be on time because of the untimely delay.

"I contacted my boss and I told him what had happened but he knew that I came to play Carnival here in Trinidad so that when he heard that he automatically thought that I was still partying and told me to take the week off instead," Armorgan said.

"I had to demand from the airline to contact my boss and to send a correspondence via fax about the delay so that he would believe me and that I would not be suspended from my job for a week without pay," she added.

Another passenger Fernando Ruiz also had doubts about him reporting to work in time today. "This is frustrating to have a flight delayed for 10 hours. It is ridiculous. I have to report to work for 8 am in the morning and look at I am still in Trinidad when I am supposed to be on my way home to Miami. It is my first time and surely it is not a good experience here in the airport," Ruiz said.

By 5 pm yesterday most of the passengers were put up at the Piarco International Hotel, while some decided to wait around the airport until departure. Hollis Thomas, Travelspan's manager at the airport was unavailable for comment.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2007, 10:33:26 AM »
Jetblue did deal with it somewhat professionally, with the promise of compensation. Maybe due to all the press they got (pressure). Would be nice to know how this gets sorted out and how CA keeps these passengers happy.

What I don't understand..with this day of computers and real time bookings etc..how does overbooking happen. Are all the systems not tied into one main grid/computer? If the plane full, it full.. don't book more.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2007, 10:36:27 AM »
Delta and Continental had problems before carnival with the weather in the North East.

This Travelspan problem sound like bad scheduling but might just be one flight?

Caribbean Airlines....how do you still overbook in 2007?   ???
Not just North American destinations but the UK too.

They need to get these people home fast and not let this run over into the World Cup with the International Press looking for stories.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2007, 10:37:32 AM »
What I don't understand..with this day of computers and real time bookings etc..how does overbooking happen. Are all the systems not tied into one main grid/computer? If the plane full, it full.. don't book more.
Overbooking is standard practice. Check out dis FAQ from Delta:

How does an oversold situation happen?
Every major airline accepts more reservations for flights than it has seats available. This practice is known as overbooking. Flights are overbooked because a certain percentage of passengers are expected to be "no-shows." This means they change their travel plans but do not cancel their reservations.

If airlines only booked reservations according to the number of seats on a plane, then flights would leave with empty seats and people who would have wanted those seats would be left having to find other options. To avoid this situation, the airline industry monitors no-show trends and books reservations to meet the expected passenger load. But even with the best forecasting techniques, sometimes more customers show up than were expected. The result is an oversold flight.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2007, 10:42:38 AM »
Overbooking is standard practice. Check out dis FAQ from Delta:

How does an oversold situation happen?
Every major airline accepts more reservations for flights than it has seats available. This practice is known as overbooking. Flights are overbooked because a certain percentage of passengers are expected to be "no-shows." This means they change their travel plans but do not cancel their reservations.

If airlines only booked reservations according to the number of seats on a plane, then flights would leave with empty seats and people who would have wanted those seats would be left having to find other options. To avoid this situation, the airline industry monitors no-show trends and books reservations to meet the expected passenger load. But even with the best forecasting techniques, sometimes more customers show up than were expected. The result is an oversold flight.

Understood but would it not be prudent to have a 5% overbook and have those on stand-by in the event of a no-show?

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2007, 10:48:06 AM »

What forecasting program Caribbean Airlines using?   ::)

Offline johnny_ringo

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2007, 11:02:25 AM »
boy dias a real shame. Just like everything else in trini the folks in charge actin wrong and strong. Jetblue came out with a customers bill of rights, and i would love to see one of these companies do the same. Just like everything else in the country there is no accountability. Let a few high ranking officials from the airline get suspended or fired and it sure not to happen as bad again.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2007, 11:19:41 AM »
Jetblue had to come out with that. They stock price drop and they get plenty bad press. Leaving ppl on a plane of 8-9 hrs is not good PR.

As for the airlines? they all overbook as was stated before. We get the BWEE stories, but American have the same issues. In fact, every American flight me or the family take to/from T&T have issues in either Puerto rico or Miami, but no great protest over that.
Perhaps is a case of wanting a higher standard from BWEE.
Perhaps you should take the people and them serious when they say reach 3 hrs early.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

1]; } ?>