March 28, 2024, 01:36:25 PM

Author Topic: Caribbean/BWIA Airlines Thread.  (Read 139013 times)

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
Re: TT$1.53 Billion going to help Air Jamaica, as T&T vows to help
« Reply #120 on: January 13, 2010, 07:42:23 PM »
hmmmmm ahhhh boy!!! :-X

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 13, 2010, 09:57:17 PM »
Caribbean Airlines: fact and fiction
William Lucie-Smith

Wednesday, January 6th 2010
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_features?id=161578631

The recent announcement that Caribbean Airlines (CAL) is in discussions with Air Jamaica and the Jamaican government over the future of Air Jamaica has resulted in a significant number of press articles and letters about BWIA and CAL and the repetition of a number of myths.

I thought it might be appropriate to address some of these myths so that readers can separate fact from fiction and not believe these misconceptions simply because of repetition. I should add that I write from first-hand experience as I was a member of the Lok Jack Task Force appointed to review the future of BWIA and airlift for Trinidad. I was then appointed a director of BWIA to help implement the recommendations accepted by Cabinet, and later a director of Caribbean Airlines to launch the new company.

I resigned from Caribbean Airlines in December 2007 but have remained an adviser, so I still have access to the Board, although any opinions expressed are mine alone.

Myth #1: Closing BWIA was a mistake. The initial recommendation was to recapitalise and restructure BWIA because of its importance to Caribbean commerce and to guarantee airlift for the citizens of Trinidad and Tobago. This proved impossible because of the intractable nature of various contracts which prevented BWIA ever becoming viable. Complete closure was the only way to make a fresh start without all the ’baggage’ that BWIA carried.

Some have suggested closure was a mistake and that it alienated many stakeholders, but BWIA was insolvent and would have been a permanent and increasing drain on the treasury. This, unfortunately, is the current position with LIAT, Air Jamaica and Bahamas Air. CAL’s record of customer service and on- time performance is vastly better than BWIA’s and shows a clear differentiation between the airlines.

Myth # 2: The London route was profitable and should not have been given up. Unfortunately the maintenance of two airbuses and crews to support one daily flight was just not viable as there was insufficient traffic from Trinidad and Tobago. BA can make a success of three or four days a week because they can deploy their equipment and crews on the other days. There was no such option for BWIA and the attempt to build a Manchester route (or other European routes) was a failure.

Myth #3: BWIA had seven Heathrow slots that could have been sold for more. BWIA really had one pair. The decision that London must close meant that the Heathrow slots had to be traded. A slot is simply a time to land or take-off and if not used is lost. Although slots are not an asset that can be sold the British Airports Authority has allowed airlines to swap or trade them.

A slot is always in pairs because you must land and take-off. BWIA did this every day and had 730 slots annually or seven pairs weekly or one pair daily. Slots are traded as pairs of daily slots, of which BWIA had one not seven. These slots were tendered to both BA and Virgin. Although Virgin offered slightly more money, the BA proposal provided at least three direct flights to Trinidad a week and a code share through Barbados and an option on a slot at Gatwick.

Allegations that the slots were undersold are just plain ill-informed as the price received was similar to other trades at the time (e.g. SN Brussels) and independent reviews were carried out by experienced UK aviation lawyers. Shortly thereafter Air Jamaica traded their one pair of daily slots for a similar price.

Myth # 4: CAL purchases fuel at US$40 per barrel. At the time of the Lok Jack report oil was about US$40 per barrel. The report indicated that purchasing a hedge at current prices was a precondition to restructure or starting a new airline. Quotes were received from several financial institutions for a hedge and the Government was asked to provide this funding as part of the capitalisation of the new airline. In the event, being an oil exporter the Government preferred to provide a hedging arrangement at a US$50 oil price themselves rather than spend money in the open market, and that is the net of hedge price CAL currently pays.

Myth # 5: Caribbean Airlines is losing a lot of money and has required further subventions from the Government. The initial capital of the new company was approximately US$115 million. In the first year to December 2007 CAL made a net loss of US$18.7 million, but that included restructuring costs of US $25.6 million as well as losses for five months of the London route. This result was well within plan and financed from original capital.

In 2008 CAL made a small profit of US$5.5 million. In 2009 CAL is expected to make a loss partly because of the global recession and fierce competition on North American routes, but also because of the uneconomic regulated fare on the air bridge.

Other than the hedging arrangement and purchase of TABEX there have been no subventions or transfers and the airline has been managed within plan and the original capital.

All regional airlines (including CAL) currently face major commercial challenges. For many years integration has been recommended to achieve economies of scale over maintenance, equipment, parts and ground handling. Just as CAL took over the routes and responsibilities of TABEX, so CAL believes there are opportunities presented to integrate and reduce costs when governments recognise that the huge losses at Air Jamaica and LIAT are unsustainable. However, leaving the Caribbean without airlift (and/or dependent on foreign airlines) is just not a viable option.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 13, 2010, 10:03:36 PM »
I would expect that if CA does buy AJ, then the same process for the creation of Caribbean Airlines from BWIA will follow. This may leave Jamaica with a "local" airline, but certainly won't be some sort of placeholder while they figure out how to buy it back.  If they think Spirit Airlines was going to be too harsh and that CA will be an softer touch then they are in for a shock. This will almost certainly mean job cuts at Air Jamaica and possibly even CA. 

On the other hand, there should be economic benefits from having 1 airline rather than 2. LIAT should also  eventually fall into the mix. The CEO of Caribbean Airlines has said that in the very least, LIAT and CA should negotiate airplane deals together under some sort of a strategic agreement thus gaining some clout if you’re buying 25 airplanes as opposed to five.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 14, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »
      Caribbean Airlines to own Air Jamaica within days
KINGSTON, Jamaica, January 14, 2010 - Trinidad and Tobago's state owned Caribbean Airlines is now just days away from taking over Jamaica's national carrier.

A deal in which Air Jamaica will be absorbed into the Trinidad airline is expected to be consummated this weekend, according to a Jamaica government announcement.

Under the plan, Caribbean Airlines will grant Air Jamaica equity, but the Jamaican government will have to find J$27 billion (US$301.6 million) in this year's capital expenditure budget to meet debt and other costs, including the redundancy of hundreds of employees. It is believed that several hundred workers will be on the breadline as a result of the divestment.

Other details of the deal have not yet been released.

And just days ahead of the long-expected divestment, a new Board has been appointed by the Minister of Finance and the Public Service, Audley Shaw.

The five-member team, put in place this week following the expiration of the term of the previous Board, will oversee transitional arrangements and legacy issues surrounding the Air Jamaica divestment.

The new Board is led by businessman and Chairman of the Insurance Company of the West Indies (ICWI) Group, Dennis Lalor. The other members are Christopher Zacca, Special Adviser to the Prime Minister; Dr Wayne Henry, Special Adviser to the Minister of Finance and the Public Service; Sancia Templer, President of Jamaica Trade and Invest; and Christopher Berry, Chairman of Mayberry Investments.

In addition, an Air Jamaica transition management committee has been set up to help guide the divestment process. That will be led by the airline's President and CEO Bruce Nobles.

The divestment of Jamaica's national carrier is coming much later than originally hoped.

Prime Minister Bruce Golding had announced, in April 2008, government's plans to divest the airline by the end of that financial year.

He had said the decision was taken because government could no longer pile the losses of the airline on the backs of taxpayers "with no end in sight". Air Jamaica at that time had accumulated losses of over US$1 billion.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #124 on: January 14, 2010, 12:35:54 PM »
Doh be surprised if allyuh ain't hear about some merger.
Man cyah be putting that substantial amount of money juss to help out.

Something playing in dey background

I should of choose my words properly....eh Ribbs?
Should have said buy out.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 14, 2010, 12:39:34 PM »
Doh be surprised if allyuh ain't hear about some merger.
Man cyah be putting that substantial amount of money juss to help out.

Something playing in dey background

I should of choose my words properly....eh Ribbs?
Should have said buy out.

yuh should put in your application for CEO prem
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 14, 2010, 01:35:28 PM »
How come all the news we getting on this coming from JA media??  Anybody in the T&T gov't say anything about this publicly yet??... :-\
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #127 on: January 14, 2010, 02:00:24 PM »
Browning you ain't know every time you need to know what happening inside you hadda go outside and listen/ watch?

Ent the wife and the one closest to you is the last to know? :devil:

Dutts I prefer the CFO or COO positions
CEOs ain't know shit.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 14, 2010, 03:18:22 PM »
How come all the news we getting on this coming from JA media??  Anybody in the T&T gov't say anything about this publicly yet??... :-\

I believe there may be some fidicuary laws which prevent public disclosure at least until the deal is finalized. Simply because official disclosure from the principles CA and Air Jam will impact the agreed shareprice of the sale. So while there will be speculation in the Jamaica market by way of news articles. All the major players have to play hush hush until the deal is closed. As far as the local press, it have too much bachannal happening locally. You may find something in the business editorials this week though if the deal is close to finalization.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 14, 2010, 04:49:11 PM »
So what will be the name of this new airline. Amalgamated Caribbean Airline? Uni-CAL-Air? Air Uni-Cal. Air SocaReggae or Air reggaeSoca? Air Desperate?

AirMan

« Reply #130 on: January 16, 2010, 10:31:19 AM »
My question is when will the full details be announced by our government to the people of T&T..Latest developments from JA media..http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/business/tRINI-jAMAICA-b_7328993

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 16, 2010, 10:33:52 AM »
My question is when will the full details be announced by our government to the people of T&T..Latest developments from JA media..http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/business/tRINI-jAMAICA-b_7328993

for allya who putdong Patos for buyin dat Big Flag
:devil:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 16, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
Published: Thursday | January 14, 2010

The Editor, Sir:
I am shocked, angry and horrified upon hearing the news (this morning, January 13) that the administration will be selling our beloved Air Jamaica to Trinidad.

Aren't these the people who refused to accept our patties into their ports, but they're getting some great deals on our national assets though! Are we serious here?

The possible actions of cutting staff at Air Jamaica by Caribbean Airlines should be the actions taken by us to save the airline and not by Trinidad, because really I don't think we need a large staff to man that airline, just a small, highly experienced, technical and dedicated team is needed which they already have to choose from. A bitter pill, but we must swallow to save Air Jamaica.

No legacy

I am a young Jamaican, in my 30s and I held an opinion or belief that the older generation is supposed to leave a legacy for us, the younger generation, to build on, fight for and be proud of.

What, I ask, has the People's National Party (PNP) and the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) left for people like me and those younger than me to live to see? All I can say is that is where Mutual Life used to be, and this is a ticket stub of Air Jamaica that was once owned by us.

Guilt-ridden

The move to sell is short-sighted. I feel guilt-ridden as I am an unwilling accomplice to the demise of Air Jamaica and I will never forgive myself for this. Rest assured I will not vote for this administration in the next election or ever again for that matter.

I thought I voted for change for good, not bad. Further, I will never take my money and go on Caribbean Airlines. So I beg, can we divest the JLP instead? I am not interested in playing with you anymore.

I am, etc.,

KATHY BROWN

yardie4eva@live.com

Red Hills

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 16, 2010, 06:02:53 PM »

for allya who putdong Patos for buyin dat Big Flag
:devil:

And dat comic jus show de ingratitude. De badmind in me woulda leave dem let dem ketch dey ass.

And dah letter....jus underline it.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 16, 2010, 06:07:25 PM »
im feeling proud. Now lets buy Ocho Rios, Montego Bay and Usain Bolt next.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 16, 2010, 06:30:06 PM »
im feeling proud. Now lets buy Ocho Rios, Montego Bay and Usain Bolt next.
slowly
one thing at a time ;D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #136 on: January 16, 2010, 07:10:27 PM »
Back in the 60's (I think Air Jamaica was formed around 65?) there was a BWIA Sports Club. They used to compete against the BWIA staff in Jamaica. Once Air Jamaica was launched they played against them instead.

http://www.ttfootballhistory.com/taxonomy/term/1039

Now they can go back to playing the Caribbean Air staff in Ja - at least the ones they don't lay off.

Football results were:

1964 in Kingston:
Jamaica BWIA 3:3(2:0) Trinidad BWIA

1965 in POS:
Trinidad BWIA 4:2 Jamaica BWIA

1966 in Kingston:
Air Jamaica 0:7 Trinidad BWIA

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 18, 2010, 09:54:58 AM »
jamaica tourism continue to shine even though AJ couldn't find a way to avoid dey current difficulties. cana, maybe de game is "flip dis airline"? ???

==

World tourism declines 4 per cent in 2009 - Africa most successful

Madrid - International tourism declined 4 per cent worldwide to 880 million arrivals in 2009, with Africa being the only region to defy the downward trend, the Madrid-based United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) said Monday. The global economic crisis and the H1N1 influenza pandemic turned 2009 into "one of the toughest years for the tourism sector," UNWTO Secretary General Taleb Rifai said.

"However, the results of recent months suggest that recovery is underway," he added.

Growth returned in the last quarter of 2009, after 14 months of negative results, according to preliminary figures issued by UNWTO.

The organization described the overall result as "unquestionably disappointing for an industry accustomed to continuous growth." It nevertheless saw the tourism industry as having been "resilient" in an "extremely difficult economic environment."

Europe and the Middle East were hit hardest by the decline. They recorded a 6 per cent drop in arrivals. Central, eastern and northern Europe were particularly affected.

Arrivals in the Americas fell by 5 per cent, with north and central America registering the largest decreases, while the Caribbean sustained the decline thanks to a recovery in the last four months of 2009.

Asia and the Pacific went down 2 per cent, achieving a strong upturn in the second half of the year.

The only region to buck the general decline was Africa, where tourism grew by 5 per cent, with sub-Saharan destinations doing particularly well.

Destinations reporting positive results included Morocco, Kenya, Rwanda, South Africa, Swaziland, Cuba, Curacao, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Chile, Colombia, Guayana, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, the Republic of Korea, Taiwan, Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Iran, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Iceland, Sweden, Hungary, Macedonia, Italy, Montenegro, Serbia, Turkey, Bahrain, Jordan, Lebanon and Syria.

UNWTO forecasted a growth of between 3 and 4 per cent in international tourist arrivals in 2010.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #138 on: January 18, 2010, 10:59:46 AM »
This is a horrible deal. Air Jamaica could have survived with private investment elsewhere. The GoRTT just took up the debt of CL Financial last year now this. I understand the need for the airline but its not as if it would have folded if they sold it to Americans.

Does Manning hope to gain some political leverage in Caricom from this ?

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #139 on: January 18, 2010, 05:08:58 PM »
This is a horrible deal. Air Jamaica could have survived with private investment elsewhere. The GoRTT just took up the debt of CL Financial last year now this. I understand the need for the airline but its not as if it would have folded if they sold it to Americans.

Does Manning hope to gain some political leverage in Caricom from this ?

Correct Jah, but they didn't accept it. There were 3 private firms that took interest in investing in the airline, but the Jamaican government said Nah, lemme go with meh boy Patos.

jamaica tourism continue to shine - <----only happening because of cruise ships
Aright Ribbs we done know that there is a merger happening now. Fact!
But that is not all that is happening, so hopefully now you'll understand that there's really something happening and ah not taking up air with meh words. 

Watch the next couple of months...maybe by April.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 05:11:10 PM by Prematie Bheem »

Offline jahkingdom

• Strictly The Best
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 18, 2010, 08:51:44 PM »
i am following this thing closely on the "Jamaica information service"news web site. and base on what i herd is that Jamaica gave Trinidad the airline for free, because Trinidad will be paying the dept. i also herd that 500 or 600 workers will be kept from the current 1,600. Jamaica will also keep its rout. three rout will be cut Nassau Bahamas, Orlando Florida and another one that i forget. Jamaica will now own shares in Caribbean airline, not sure if its 10,20  or how much and it will not be a merger so the name "Air Jamaica" will go. one of the problem is that we have expand this air line too quickly. it is sad that AJ will be sold but for the sake of our economy it is good. we currently has two new domestic airlines which could go international in the future.

http://skylanjamaica.com/

http://www.jamaicaairshuttle.com/

the most important thing is to get our economy on track and continue pursue vision 2030. this air line dept riddle and only serve the purpose of pride and no profit. i will just wait for the dust to settle , and wait for them to announce the deal.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 10:02:30 PM by jahkingdom »
Hard work is the key to success

Offline jahkingdom

• Strictly The Best
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 18, 2010, 09:21:19 PM »
 for those who thing Jamaica tourism is experiencing growth because of cruise ship, do not know what they talking about.

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20091231/business/business1.html

Jamaica is the most connected island in the Caribbean by Air

and with this it could be more growth

http://jis.gov.jm/indus_tourism/html/20091210t160000-0500_22212_jis_tourism_ministry_working_on_deal_to_bring_more_visitors_to_the_island.asp

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 10:00:59 PM by jahkingdom »
Hard work is the key to success

AirMan

Jamaican Union against Air Jamaica being sold to Trinidad
« Reply #142 on: January 25, 2010, 07:37:59 PM »
JAMAICA: Union against sale of Air Jamaica to Trinidadian entity

"I can't believe that the government would spend J$28 billion (US316.9 million) to give away one of our best assets," Morrison said.

KINGSTON, Jamaica, CMC – The powerful National Workers Union (NWU) on Monday said it is against the sale of the cash-strapped national airline, Air Jamaica, to the Trinidad-based Caribbean Airlines (CAL).

NWU president, Vincent Morrison, told the Jamaica Observer newspaper that his union believes the airline should be kept in local hands and that the 1,900 workers are more than equipped to run the airline that racked up huge losses over the last four decades.

“I can’t believe that the government would spend J$28 billion (US316.9 million) to give away one of our best assets,” Morrison said.

Last week, the airline’s chief executive officer, Bruce Nobles, told workers that the deal with CAL may be signed soon.

In a memorandum to staff, he said bidders for Air Jamaica were narrowed down to two finalists – one being Indigo Partners, the owners of several airlines, including Spirit airlines; and the other, Caribbean Airlines, owned by government of Trinidad and Tobago.

Nobles stated that Air Jamaica’s divestment committee initially recommended that an agreement be reached with Indigo partners but informed that after several months of negotiations, the two sides were unable to reach an agreement. The government then turned to Caribbean Airlines.

The Bruce Golding administration has not confirmed that a deal has been reached with CA, but the Prime Minister has said that the government hopes to conclude an agreement soon.

Jamaica is seeking to borrow US$1.25 billion from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) under the agency’s Standby Arrangement for balance of payment support, and among the conditions is the divestment of loss-resulting entities like Air Jamaica, for budget relief.

“We are going to communicate with the government both in writing and hopefully in a meeting to know the status of the discussions with Caribbean Airlines,” said Morrison, whose trade union represents some of the workers at Air Jamaica.

“We hope to convince the Government that selling out to Caribbean Airlines is not the best,” Morrison told the newspaper.

The NWU’s strategy is have the government write off the debt, which is estimated to reach US$1.4 billion, by the end of the fiscal year in March, something which, according to Morrison, would be offered to Caribbean Airlines.

The airline would be run under the Employee Share Ownership Plan (ESOP), a sophisticated stock ownership, which would see 100 per cent ownership falling into the hands of workers.

“The workers are saying to the government: put the legacy into a fund from which the workers would be prepared to use their redundancy payments to run the airline. We would also be looking to float an IPO (Initial Public Offer) to involve Jamaicans at home and in the Diaspora, where we ask Jamaicans abroad to invest. Apart from getting a Paul Getty or someone with big money, that’s how you have to go,” Morrison said.

He added that Caribbean Airlines “does not have the capability, logistically and operationally” to deal with running Air Jamaica.

“If Air Jamaica is taken over by Caribbean Airlines, you could see a tremendous fallout in the Jamaican economy. Air Jamaica contributes J$6 billion (US$67.9 million) to the economy…Getting rid of 1,900 Air Jamaica employees would also indirectly affect the jobs of a further 10,000, plus there are other issues involved,” Morrison said.

Members of the Jamaica Airline Pilots Association have also proposed that the government use a portion of the funds being set aside for redundancy to recapitalise the airline and put it in a position to live on its own.

Morrison is firm in his view that if the workers are allowed to run the entity as their own, there would be a turnaround in its economic fortunes.

“Air Jamaica has never been properly capitalised since its inception. The workers over the years have made sacrifices. Some have worked for five years and more, without salary increases.

“Some have given back to the airline, in terms of salary cuts, so the commitment and love for the airline are there. The redundancy money could be used to recapitalise the airline.

“The brand Air Jamaica is golden. That would be gone if Caribbean Airlines takes over. The Air Jamaica brand is like Usain Bolt in terms of quality and this country should not give that up,” Morrison told the Observer newspaper.

http://www.caribbeandailynews.com/?p=4643

« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 07:43:28 PM by AirMan »

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
Re: Jamaican Union against Air Jamaica being sold to Trinidad
« Reply #143 on: January 25, 2010, 07:40:51 PM »
Too late!! :-\

AirMan

« Reply #144 on: January 25, 2010, 07:44:29 PM »

“The brand Air Jamaica is golden. That would be gone if Caribbean Airlines takes over. The Air Jamaica brand is like Usain Bolt in terms of quality and this country should not give that up,” Morrison told the Observer newspaper.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #145 on: January 25, 2010, 08:34:40 PM »

Let them keep their brand. CA did a lot of work in building up their brand by improving service and efficiency. Its a risky move putting your seal on that lame horse of an airline.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 09:27:47 PM by Jah Gol »

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
Caribbean Airlines Thread.
« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2010, 01:39:03 AM »
Pilot shot dead in fight with bandits

Tuesday, January 26th 2010

A CARIBBEAN Airlines pilot was shot dead after confronting bandits at his Glencoe home yesterday afternoon.

Riaz Baksh was 54 and lived at 19 Atlantic Avenue, Glencoe, a quiet, shaded, relatively upscale neighbourhood.

Police said at around 4.10 p.m., Baksh had pulled into the driveway of his home after opening his remote controlled gate. As he drove in he was confronted by ’an unknown number’ of bandits.

Police believe he struggled with these men when they attacked him. One of the bandits fired a shot, hitting Baksh to his chest. The bandits then fled.

A bleeding Baksh, police said, ran into the roadway where he collapsed. Neighbours telephoned both the police and some of Baksh’s relatives, who themselves arrived and took him to the St Clair Hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

Police from both the Four Roads and the St James Police Stations arrived on the scene and conducted initial investigations. No arrests had been made up to last night.

The murder toll stood at 34 up to last night.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 09:08:25 AM by Flex »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

AirMan

« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2010, 11:17:55 AM »

Let them keep their brand. CA did a lot of work in building up their brand by improving service and efficiency. Its a risky move putting your seal on that lame horse of an airline.

I was thinking along the same lines..

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jamaica PM flies in for Air Jamaica /CAL talks
« Reply #148 on: January 27, 2010, 03:05:50 PM »
Jamaicans formed Facebook group to stop sale of Air Jamaica to Trini owners...

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=photos&ref=mf&gid=289770028372#/group.php?v=wall&ref=mf&gid=289770028372

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jamaica PM flies in for Air Jamaica /CAL talks
« Reply #149 on: February 02, 2010, 04:04:36 PM »
Liat for airbridge?
By Vernon Khelawan Thursday, January 28 2010
http://www.newsday.co.tt/businessday/0,114931.html

DURING a forum on Caribbean aviation last week, consultant Ian Bertrand asked the question. Are you all prepared to give up the airbridge to Liat? Total silence from a filled conference room at the Sir Arthur Lewis Institute of Social Studies and Economic Studies (Salises) at the St Augustine campus of the University of the West Indies.

He was one of the speakers on this, the Institutes first Forum for the year on the topic “Meeting the Challenges of the Aviation Industry in the Caribbean – Whither Air Jamaica.” Professor Norman Girvan, the other listed speaker was stuck in Kingston, but sent his notes, which were read by Martin Franklin, Head of the Economics Department at UWI.

Bertrand, answering the question himself said, “With the right kind of structure, it can be done. Liat does fly between Trinidad and Tobago now. I have used it.” He added, “Why not give Liat or negotiate with Liat to take over the airbridge?”

In making the case, Bertrand, a former Chief Executive Officer of BWIA, said if that happens Liat would then have a total Dash-8 fleet or the equivalent with significantly more economies of scale and they can enjoy the same subsidies that Caribbean Airlines now receives.

He pointed out that CAL could then switch to the regional jets that COPA Airlines has used very successfully in building the TT-Panama market and use that fleet to operate non-stop flights between TT-Jamaica, Jamaica-Belize or Haiti Bahamas and really tie up the Caribbean.

Bertrand said that Liat was the only Caribbean carrier these days that doesn’t get any subsidies. “For the last two or three years they have not been subsidised by their owners. They have danced and thing, but they have danced pretty well.”

Pointing out that Liat now needed to rejuvenate its Dash-8 fleet and CAL is reaching the stage where it too, needs to do the same with its Dash-8 fleet, now might be the time to move in that direction, since it seems to be the aim of everyone to improve service within the Caribbean, within Caricom and within the wider Caribbean.

Liat operating the airbridge. That’s food for thought.

1]; } ?>