April 25, 2024, 08:58:29 PM

Author Topic: Caribbean/BWIA Airlines Thread.  (Read 140321 times)

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Caribbean Airlines Flight BW 523 crash lands at CJIA
« Reply #330 on: July 30, 2011, 06:23:08 AM »
plane broke up in about 2-3 pieces, d main section. Saw a picture on BBC . Not good

It's amazing no lives were lost in that crash :o Really amazing!

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 30, 2011, 07:03:48 AM »
plane broke up in about 2-3 pieces, d main section. Saw a picture on BBC . Not good

It's amazing no lives were lost in that crash :o Really amazing!

agreed!
just read a report on that passengers had to pay taxi drivers to take them from the wreck to the terminal... ::)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 07:27:02 AM by grimm01 »

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 30, 2011, 08:20:20 AM »
Praises to the Almighty there were no deaths in this crash. judging from those pics, there could have easily been some fatalities
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 30, 2011, 09:02:33 AM »
Further investigations have revealed that at the time of touch down it was raining heavily. Initial reports are at this time that the pilot’s vision was obscured by the heavy rainfall and misty conditions which led to him actually touching down the aircraft mid-way of the runway.

So what happen to on-board instruments?  I won't start speculating, but it will be interesting to see what the black box has to say.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #334 on: July 30, 2011, 09:50:10 AM »
Further investigations have revealed that at the time of touch down it was raining heavily. Initial reports are at this time that the pilot’s vision was obscured by the heavy rainfall and misty conditions which led to him actually touching down the aircraft mid-way of the runway.

So what happen to on-board instruments?  I won't start speculating, but it will be interesting to see what the black box has to say.
Same thing I saying.

truetrini

« Reply #335 on: July 30, 2011, 10:16:16 AM »
speed probably was a factor as well.

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #336 on: July 30, 2011, 11:17:56 AM »
speed probably was a factor as well.

since we all speculating, i will say inexperience pilot.  the story mentioned weather conditions so the pilot might not have been accustom to heavy rain and mist so he misjudge the runway.  it could be speed but i doubt since only an a$$ would be at de wrong speed when trying to land in rain and mist unless de a$$ was drunk.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 30, 2011, 11:32:36 AM »
Video of the crashed plane on this page

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-14353610
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 30, 2011, 11:57:05 AM »
So its not a crash landing, it overshot the runway.

One woman described how a taxi driver got to the scene before the emergency services and charged her to be driven back to the terminal. :o Jeez....

This happen too early in Caribbean Airlines life. I don't think BWIA ever had something like this, only maybe emergency landing for smoke and slight runway knocks.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 12:01:23 PM by Socafan »
Two islands are better than one.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 30, 2011, 02:55:28 PM »
US investigators to probe plane crash
Written by Denis Scott Chabrol   
Saturday, 30 July 2011 13:58
http://www.demerarawaves.com/index.php/Latest/2011/07/30/us-investigators-to-probe-plane-crash.html

Police have secured the crash site as work proceeds on retrieving the baggage

American investigators are due in Guyana Monday to remove the blackbox and data voice recorder of the Caribbean Airlines plane which crash-landed at the Cheddi Jagan International Airport (CJIA) early Saturday.

Flights in and out of the airport have resumed while feverish efforts are underway to retrieve the baggage belonging to the 151 passengers and six crew.

Airline Chairman, George Nicholas said the probe is being spearheaded by the Guyana Civil Aviation Authority and will include personnel from the US National Transport Safety Board (NTSB).

Meanwhile, Trinidad and Tobago's Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar is expected in Guyana Saturday evening for a first hand assessment of the situation. The airline is the national carrier of the twin-island republic.

Steel barricades, manned by armed police and soldiers, have been erected around the aircraft to secure it for the investigators.

Demerara Waves Online News (www.demwaves.com) observed items being removed from the aircraft and loaded into an army truck.

Nicholas called it a miracle that the US$38 million aircraft acquired in 2007 did not catch a fire or persons were not killed or more seriously injured.

"It's an absolute miracle that took place today," he told a news briefing at the CJIA. "It's amazing to have an aircraft in that shape with a small number of injuries."

Nicholas and other senior management officials, who flew in from Trinidad, declined to speak about the weather, how equipped was the airport control tower and other matters that could impact on the investigations in connection with Flight BW523.

The airline officials, however, assured that the pilot has been flying for 25 years and has been doing so to Guyana over that same period.

The Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC) Saturday afternoon released a list of 35 persons who were seen at the institution, three of whom have been admitted as patients.

They are a male, 46, of Shell Road, Kitty who sustained an injury to his right leg and was admitted to the High Dependency Unit; a 69-year-old female of Whim, Corentyne who sustained an injury to her forehead and was admitted to the Female Surgical Ward and; a 20-year-old female of 110 Second Street, Hopetown who suffered a cerebral concussion and trauma to the abdomen. She too was admitted to the Female Surgical Ward.

No names were released.   

The Diamond Diagnostic Center also treated 17 patients with 11 being referred to the GPHC while were six sent home.

"We will continue to be alert throughout the coming days for passengers who may experience any pain or trauma," Health Minister Dr. Leslie Ramsammy said in a statement.

Caribbean Airlines spokeswoman, Laura Asborjornsen said a team of Caribbean experts would be arriving in Guyana to assist with "post trauma" counselling for the passengers and crew members.
Scores of persons who arrived on the flight expressed concern about the delay in getting their baggage.

"We want to know why so long we can't get we baggage," one passenger yelled at a Caribbean Airlines staffer who was trying to calm an increasingly tense situation.

However, airline officials said all personal belongings inside the cabin were being collected and placed in individual plastic bags corresponding with each seat.

The incident occurred around 1:25 AM when the jet ran off the runway and down a slope where it broke in two. There has been no official word on the weather conditions at the time of the incident.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 30, 2011, 03:17:12 PM »
I think it was an Air Jamaica plane rebranded as Caribbean Airlines!
Just noticed Air Jamaica written just below the Caribbean Airways logo of the broke plane.

I can only guess that the pilot was possibly an inexperienced Air Jamaica pilot who had never landed a plane in Guyana before under those conditions!  :-\
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #341 on: July 30, 2011, 03:56:10 PM »
Guardian just tweeted this

PM Persad-Bissessar, Transport Minister Devant Maharaj & Foreign Affairs & Communications Min. Dr Surujrattan are heading for Guyana today.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #342 on: July 30, 2011, 04:22:50 PM »
thank god no one died :beermug:

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #343 on: July 30, 2011, 04:38:27 PM »
The brand will take a hit .This is the last thing Nicholas needed.

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 30, 2011, 04:58:21 PM »
Just noticed Air Jamaica written just below the Caribbean Airways logo of the broke plane.

I can only guess that the pilot was possibly an inexperienced Air Jamaica pilot who had never landed a plane in Guyana before under those conditions!  :-\

Air Jamaica never had any Boeing 737 aircraft of it's own. The aircraft is indeed a CAL aircraft that was leased from an Irish firm and has been in the fleet since 2007. 

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: July 30, 2011, 06:27:38 PM »

PM Persad-Bissessar, Transport Minister Devant Maharaj & Foreign Affairs & Communications Min. Dr Surujrattan are heading for Guyana today.

......yet again, Kamla clearly, clearly, does not understand her role as PM.....steups!!!
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 30, 2011, 06:52:41 PM »

......yet again, Kamla clearly, clearly, does not understand her role as PM.....steups!!!

I just here thinking "boy like she love to travel". What would be her role there? She doh have more important things to do than to go visit a crash site with barely any injuries in a foreign country? She from Guyana or what? Is there no one else that can do whatever it is she going to do?

Sillines...
Two islands are better than one.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 30, 2011, 08:33:28 PM »

I just here thinking "boy like she love to travel". What would be her role there? She doh have more important things to do than to go visit a crash site with barely any injuries in a foreign country? She from Guyana or what? Is there no one else that can do whatever it is she going to do?

Sillines...

It seems to be a disease that afflicts all our PM's. They all seem to love flying at every opportunity on taxpayers money, the view is great and also being so high up where the air is rare on a regular basis serves to remind them of their high position in charge of the country!! The previous PM did it so is her turn now, that's the logic!! Never mind taxpayers money is being unnecessarily wasted and you took pains to point that out about the previous PM/government when you were in opposition! ;)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 08:44:14 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 30, 2011, 08:34:54 PM »
One:

Guyana runway kinda short. In fact their airport on the whole is a Category 2 airport
For those countries rated under Category 2, it means that the FAA has “assessed this country’s civil aviation authority (CAA) and determined that it does not provide safety oversight of its air carrier operators in accordance with the minimum safety oversight standards established by the ICAO.”

That was 2 years ago...dunno if it changed.

Two:
Rain woulda make it worse.

Three: Pilot error..worse yet.

I just glad nobody died. I real pissed that a 60+ year perfect record gone. Plus this would make flights tighter as its peak season and they barely meet the demand as this..worse yet with one less from the fleet.

And I wondering what exactly our goodly PM looking to do by going Guyana.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 30, 2011, 08:39:53 PM »
One:

Guyana runway kinda short. In fact their airport on the whole is a Category 2 airport
For those countries rated under Category 2, it means that the FAA has “assessed this country’s civil aviation authority (CAA) and determined that it does not provide safety oversight of its air carrier operators in accordance with the minimum safety oversight standards established by the ICAO.”

That was 2 years ago...dunno if it changed.

Two:
Rain woulda make it worse.

Three: Pilot error..worse yet.

I just glad nobody died. I real pissed that a 60+ year perfect record gone. Plus this would make flights tighter as its peak season and they barely meet the demand as this..worse yet with one less from the fleet.

And I wondering what exactly our goodly PM looking to do by going Guyana.

To smile and show her pretty face in Guyana and of course to have a drink with the Guyanese PM while she's there!  ;)

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 30, 2011, 09:44:47 PM »
That is some scary shit.  Thank God no one died.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #352 on: July 31, 2011, 08:55:05 AM »
To be honest I don't have a problem with the PM visiting the site. Its a very sad day for the National Airline.

I can't say what purpose Suruj supposed to serve.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 31, 2011, 09:20:17 AM »
Maybe if she hadn't made some stupid appearances before, e.g. showing up in a fete to present Machel with he $2 mill, ah woulda give she de benefit of the doubt......I does have to question most things she do now

As for Suruj, he must be have some family to visit  *shrugs*
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 31, 2011, 10:30:20 AM »
I glad this happened to CAL!! haul dey mudda c@nt!!! yes i said it! very happy no one got hurt, but it couldn't have happened to ah better airline! like i said, sorry for the passengers and the flight crew, glad they're OK (the flight crew not so bad) but the administration and the ground staff, they are a serious bunch of kakaholes!!

can't wait for jet blue to start going to T&T since continental and AA is also shittier than CAL. want tuh stop fying with them altogether, BC of the disrespect they made me eat since they were BWEE, but there's no viable choices so i have tuh continue fying with this disrespectful bunch.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 10:38:26 AM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 31, 2011, 11:11:31 AM »

A similar incident occurred in jamaica ah few yrs ago by an "american arline" jetliner that skid off the runway and crashed in similar fashion piloted by an "american" pilot.  ::)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diNpa57PGJ0
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 31, 2011, 11:36:20 AM »
To be honest I don't have a problem with the PM visiting the site. Its a very sad day for the National Airline.

I could say...but that would be unconfirmed gossip. But from now..take note how often they go together.

I glad this happened to CAL!! haul dey mudda c@nt!!! yes i said it! very happy no one got hurt, but it couldn't have happened to ah better airline! like i said, sorry for the passengers and the flight crew, glad they're OK (the flight crew not so bad) but the administration and the ground staff, they are a serious bunch of kakaholes!!

can't wait for jet blue to start going to T&T since continental and AA is also shittier than CAL. want tuh stop fying with them altogether, BC of the disrespect they made me eat since they were BWEE, but there's no viable choices so i have tuh continue fying with this disrespectful bunch.

And I eh understand dis logic.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 31, 2011, 03:26:15 PM »

I could say...but that would be unconfirmed gossip. But from now..take note how often they go together.

What's there to understand, it's simple, they fackin suck in terms of customer service! especially on the ground (check in, baggage policy, gate staff, security, reservation) you want more?

imagine, the last time i flew with them they charged me almost 200USD bc they printed the wrong flight time on my I T, when i got there for the flight they closed it and had the nerve to charge me for being on stand by when they were @ fault and not me in the first place, and this was not the first time they handed it to me. fack them i say!.

PS: and not tuh say they charge meh almost half the price of ah ticket and showed me some kinda courtesy and compassion, but they also handled me scruffy in the process, and then had the nerve to call airport security when i raised my voice and complained.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 07:16:35 PM by just cool »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 31, 2011, 04:43:41 PM »

What's there to understand, it's simple, they fackin suck in terms of customer service! especially on the ground (check in, baggage policy, gate staff, security, reservation) you want more?

imagine, the last time i flew with them they charged me almost 200USD bc they printed the wrong flight time on my I T, when i got there for the flight they closed it and had the nerve to charge me for being on stand by when they were @ fault and not me in the first place, and this was not the first time they handed it to me. fack them i say!.

Well say dat. In any case....a plane crash to me doh seem like due retribution for poor customer service. Buh dahs just me.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 31, 2011, 05:18:16 PM »

Well say dat. In any case....a plane crash to me doh seem like due retribution for poor customer service. Buh dahs just me.

Given the circumstances, no one died or was seriously hurt, i glad no arse! it was the perfect punishment.

doh get me wrong, i felt sad to see the images of a airline i does fly wid in an air disaster, but the last two times i flew with them they disrespected me good and proper and i swore to never use them again , but who's an alternative? CO , AA? they're even worst than CAL and their inflight services stinks. i wish the FAA would flag them for ah six months and allow jet blue access to T&T.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 12:36:22 PM by just cool »

1]; } ?>