April 16, 2024, 05:25:25 PM

Author Topic: Caribbean/BWIA Airlines Thread.  (Read 139621 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Caribbean Airlines Thread.
« Reply #390 on: October 04, 2011, 05:59:55 AM »
Does anyone here know the reason why Caribbean Airlines (CAL) painted all (or most) of their planes in Air Jamaica colors ?

T&T Footballers Arrive Via Air Jamaica
bernews.

The Trinidad National Football Team – Bermuda’s opponents for Friday’s World Cup qualifier football match – arrived in Bermuda yesterday afternoon [Oct.2].

An Air Jamaica plane flew the team directly to Bermuda, with the team scheduled to fly back to Trinidad on Saturday.

Bermuda will take on Trinidad & Tobago this coming Friday [Oct.7] at 8:00pm. Bermuda’s first match-up against Trinidad and Tobago was held in Port of Spain on September 2nd, with Bermuda losing 1 -0. They then played Guyana on September 6th, losing 2 – 1, with Bermuda’s goal scored by Khano Smith.

TT assistant coach Anton Corneal said, “Bermuda have never been an easy team when they play us and they are home where they are faced with a must win situation so we expect that they will come at us with everything. But once we prepare well and we play to plan, then the rest will take care of itself.”

W Connection defender Mekeil Williams is the lone uncapped player named in an 18-man squad by Soca Warriors coach Otto Pfister for this country’s next two 2014 CONCACAF World Cup qualifiers away. Williams is also one of eight players in the team that will be playing under the German-born coach for the first time.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Caribbean Airlines Thread.
« Reply #391 on: October 04, 2011, 06:34:49 AM »
Does anyone here know the reason why Caribbean Airlines (CAL) painted all (or most) of their planes in Air Jamaica colors ?

T&T Footballers Arrive Via Air Jamaica
bernews.

The Trinidad National Football Team – Bermuda’s opponents for Friday’s World Cup qualifier football match – arrived in Bermuda yesterday afternoon [Oct.2].

An Air Jamaica plane flew the team directly to Bermuda, with the team scheduled to fly back to Trinidad on Saturday.

Bermuda will take on Trinidad & Tobago this coming Friday [Oct.7] at 8:00pm. Bermuda’s first match-up against Trinidad and Tobago was held in Port of Spain on September 2nd, with Bermuda losing 1 -0. They then played Guyana on September 6th, losing 2 – 1, with Bermuda’s goal scored by Khano Smith.

TT assistant coach Anton Corneal said, “Bermuda have never been an easy team when they play us and they are home where they are faced with a must win situation so we expect that they will come at us with everything. But once we prepare well and we play to plan, then the rest will take care of itself.”

W Connection defender Mekeil Williams is the lone uncapped player named in an 18-man squad by Soca Warriors coach Otto Pfister for this country’s next two 2014 CONCACAF World Cup qualifiers away. Williams is also one of eight players in the team that will be playing under the German-born coach for the first time.

I'm only guessing here, but given that CAL were pressured into providing free flights, I imagine they have used a "stock" aircraft that has not yet received its CAL makeover?

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #392 on: October 04, 2011, 07:05:04 AM »
The Caribbean Airlines planes have an Air Jamaica insignia painted on them and the Air Jamaica Planes have a Caribbean Airlines insignia on it. This is an Air Jamaica plane. It was and still is a shitty move. They share assets and staff too. You will see Jamaicans at the Caribbean Airlines counters and Trinis at the Air Jamaica Counter.

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 04, 2011, 07:08:47 AM »
The Caribbean Airlines planes have an Air Jamaica insignia painted on them and the Air Jamaica Planes have a Caribbean Airlines insignia on it. This is an Air Jamaica plane. It was and still is a shitty move. They share assets and staff too. You will see Jamaicans at the Caribbean Airlines counters and Trinis at the Air Jamaica Counter.

It probably a lot cheaper to do that than repaint all the planes to either CAL/AJ/neutral color scheme.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #394 on: October 04, 2011, 08:23:09 AM »

All Air Jamaica planes were sold, they owned only Airbus aeroplanes.

All these 737's we are seeing today were BWEE's now Caribbean Airlines owned even before Air Jamaica came on the scene.

Therefore, all these plans were painted to Air Jamaica colors, and I don't know why ?

When I visited Trinidad all I could see on the gates in Piarco were Air Jamaica planes and it was really a disappointing sight.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 08:38:49 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 04, 2011, 10:11:21 AM »
CAL and Air Jamaica merged the fleet to all 9Y registrations (9Y is T&T) and flight numbers to BW.
The airline operates under a "One Airline, Two Brands" philosophy, so aircraft are allocated to each brand and painted accordingly.

Because of the way it's been organized, they can fly any plane to any destination. I'm sure they don't take the livery into consideration when scheduling movements if it's going to be a problem. It costs money to move planes around. Also note that Hurricane Irene scrambled the schedule a bit, and they lost a plane in Guyana

CAL:
9Y-ANU
9Y-BGI
9Y-GEO
9Y-JMA
9Y-KIN
9Y-POS
9Y-SLU
9Y-SXM
9Y-TAB

Air Jamaica:
9Y-JMA
9Y-JMB
9Y-JMC
9Y-JMD
9Y-JME
9Y-JMF
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 10:50:52 AM by Bitter »
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 04, 2011, 10:20:08 AM »
Therefore, all these plans were painted to Air Jamaica colors, and I don't know why ?

Air Jamaica is a known brand... perhaps even moreso than CAL/BWIA.  This wouldn't justify painting all CAL planes in Air Jamaica colors (if that is what they did), but would explain why they kept the brand alive.

Offline jahkingdom

• Strictly The Best
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 04, 2011, 11:12:30 AM »
allot have to do with marketing. air Jamaica is a bigger brand.

also:
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/business/REDjet-plans-to-launch-new-Jamaican-airline_9803417
Hard work is the key to success

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 04, 2011, 06:05:30 PM »
CAL and Air Jamaica merged the fleet to all 9Y registrations (9Y is T&T) and flight numbers to BW.
The airline operates under a "One Airline, Two Brands" philosophy, so aircraft are allocated to each brand and painted accordingly.

Because of the way it's been organized, they can fly any plane to any destination. I'm sure they don't take the livery into consideration when scheduling movements if it's going to be a problem. It costs money to move planes around. Also note that Hurricane Irene scrambled the schedule a bit, and they lost a plane in Guyana

CAL:
9Y-ANU
9Y-BGI
9Y-GEO
9Y-JMA
9Y-KIN
9Y-POS
9Y-SLU
9Y-SXM
9Y-TAB

Air Jamaica:
9Y-JMA
9Y-JMB
9Y-JMC
9Y-JMD
9Y-JME
9Y-JMF

If you read the link jahkingdom provided you will see they said "The failing Air Jamaica was sold in May to the Trinidad and Tobago-based Caribbean Airlines."

I am based in Trinidad and I can assure you that Flex is correct, all CAL plans were painted in AJ colors, its a big turn off to see our national airline is a AJ plane.

Makes you wonder if AJ was the one who bought CAL.

And jahkingdom, it's not about brand, AJ was once the biggest in the Caribbean, but I am sure BWEE took the record from them many times and they were also well known, CAL don't need AJ to make money or sell their tickets, this is why CAL is still in service while AJ had to sellout because they were broke....

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 04, 2011, 07:34:36 PM »
Not all painted AJ...

I just flew down in a CAL plane.

CAL is all about making $.  They making serious tie ups. 

Not at all about brand; hold onto whatever little pride left in AJ.
whey boy!

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 04, 2011, 07:47:12 PM »
Not all painted AJ...

I just flew down in a CAL plane.

CAL is all about making $.  They making serious tie ups. 

Not at all about brand; hold onto whatever little pride left in AJ.
Not all the planes are painted in air jamaica colors, i would say 50 / 50.  flew on them in april and they still had the CAL on the planes as well as the AJ, some even have bans painted in blue green and yellow @ the tail of the plane with the CAL insignia. this plane just happens to be one of the AJ planes that works the AJ routes.

i'll ask ah breddren who works for CAL as an air craft mechanic about this when i see him.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Patterson

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 04, 2011, 08:20:48 PM »
According to the Air Jamaica SkyWritings  magazine which I read flying in a Caribbean Airlines painted plane to Jamaica, no plane was repainted.
Caribbean Beat and Air Jamaica Skywritings can now be found on both airlines

Air Jamaica rebranded and repainted their planes January 2011 year, Air Jamaica is a brand itself and there will not be any repainting, the small insignias of CAL or AJ were added and will remain.

I've seen several CAL painted jets at Piarco... The magazine also stated that routes are alternated so yes we will see AJ planes comes to T&T at times .

Offline jahkingdom

• Strictly The Best
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 04, 2011, 11:24:16 PM »
And jahkingdom, it's not about brand, AJ was once the biggest in the Caribbean, but I am sure BWEE took the record from them many times and they were also well known, CAL don't need AJ to make money or sell their tickets, this is why CAL is still in service while AJ had to sellout because they were broke....

of course CAL don't  need AJ to make money or sell tickets, same way they would not need continental or British airways to to make money, but sell tickets to who?. Air Jamaica brand have nothing to do with its financial mismanagement, if you running a company and you sit by and make your bills ran up without been paid and after you start feeling the effects that's when you want to start paying, your business profit bound to take a hit. Air Jamaica was making a profit but had to be using that profit to pay debts, and fuel price, at that point you have no choice but to close or privatize. how many cities does CAL normally flies to?, some trini thought that Air Jamaica routs were going to be diverted to Trinidad, but would you receive the traffic for it to be sustainable?, air Jamaica carry millions of tourist from allot of cities, why you think continental or America airlines canceling some routs in the Caribbean?. i don't see why it is a problem to have both CAL and AJ symbols on the airlines, just so you know, the Jamaican government actually owns 16% of CAL. 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 11:28:37 PM by jahkingdom »
Hard work is the key to success

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 05, 2011, 08:12:25 AM »
The fleet allocation Errol posted is correct... 9 CAL (was 10)  and 6 painted AJ. Flex the reason why u saw so many AJ planes in T&T is because that's where they are being maintained. FYI, the fleet will be expanding a bit as the airline just bought 2 more 737s.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 08:20:20 AM by FireBrand »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 05, 2011, 08:18:41 AM »
CAL needs some comp on the Toronto - POS route.. right now I feel we paying for the purchase of AJ. Fackers!

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: October 05, 2011, 09:55:53 AM »
They are also looking into getting 3 767 planes for longer hauls with one being based at KIN in AJ livery and two at POS in CAL livery. They interchange the equipment as it is the same airline. Several aircraft with either livery can be seen at either of the hubs, and whether your flight is "AJ" or "CAL" it's one airline with the BW identification.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: October 05, 2011, 09:58:10 AM »
CAL needs some comp on the Toronto - POS route.. right now I feel we paying for the purchase of AJ. Fackers!

:beermug: :beermug:
It's not CAL fault though.
It is beyond ridiculous the cost to fly from Toronto.  The cost is at Pearson...so expensive to fly out of there.

landing fees climb at Pearson year after year while drop at other locales.   A good idea would be for CAL to fly out of Buffalo...see how many more Toronto based would fly to Trinidad.
whey boy!

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 05, 2011, 11:51:09 AM »

:beermug: :beermug:
It's not CAL fault though.
It is beyond ridiculous the cost to fly from Toronto.  The cost is at Pearson...so expensive to fly out of there.

landing fees climb at Pearson year after year while drop at other locales.   A good idea would be for CAL to fly out of Buffalo...see how many more Toronto based would fly to Trinidad.

but here's the thing. If I didn't mind the connection, I cud easily jump on an AA or Delta (I think) and connect in Miami or Atlanta and it would be a couple hundred less. So are we to assume it's somehow cheaper for these airlines flying out of To? Over the summer months there are charters that are a couple hundred less as well. CA out of buffalo would make sense as many people would take the 1.5 hr drive to save a couple hundred dollars.

CA just making it harder for my wallet to patriotic!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #408 on: October 06, 2011, 06:18:18 AM »
They are also looking into getting 3 767 planes for longer hauls with one being based at KIN in AJ livery and two at POS in CAL livery. They interchange the equipment as it is the same airline. Several aircraft with either livery can be seen at either of the hubs, and whether your flight is "AJ" or "CAL" it's one airline with the BW identification.

I think its 777 and not 767.....

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 06, 2011, 09:17:51 AM »

Was informed by flight staff that they cannot get properly maintained 777 aircraft for lease. Supposedly they getting 767's from LAN Chile and pilots have started training.

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 06, 2011, 10:09:45 AM »

Was informed by flight staff that they cannot get properly maintained 777 aircraft for lease. Supposedly they getting 767's from LAN Chile and pilots have started training.

Why would they even consider investing in the 777???? Are they  planning on renewing the POS-Heathrow route? Because other than that I see no reason to invest in a long range aircraft like the 777. The longest route they have ( Georgetown-Toronto) is barely half the range of what the plane is capable of. Not to mention the 777 is considerably more expensive than the 767.
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 06, 2011, 12:20:38 PM »

Why would they even consider investing in the 777???? Are they  planning on renewing the POS-Heathrow route? Because other than that I see no reason to invest in a long range aircraft like the 777. The longest route they have ( Georgetown-Toronto) is barely half the range of what the plane is capable of. Not to mention the 777 is considerably more expensive than the 767.

Yeah, there is an attempt to get back to London, though I am not sure if they can afford to obtain Heathrow slots again. Also, from what I hear, the GEO-YYZ cannot be done non-stop with the 737-800's, so they need to get long haul aircraft. We just have to wait and see. But placing a larger aircraft on the JFK route or YYZ allows them to carry larger loads and free up aircraft for more frequent short haul routes.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 06, 2011, 12:29:22 PM »
I think CAL will be picking up the London route again which is why those planes are being acquired.

It is also true that they repainted a setta CAL planes to Air Jamaica colors. Another nonsense move in a long line of concessions to Jamaica to appease their grievances in the acquisition. I think the idea is 2 brands operating under the one CAL umbrella airline, using CAL operations etc.

The real bacchanal gonna be with them ATR's they purchased for the short haul routes.. Those planes were NOT the best option and coming with a host of operational and technical deficiencies.

Stay tuned.

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 06, 2011, 03:31:16 PM »

Yeah, there is an attempt to get back to London, though I am not sure if they can afford to obtain Heathrow slots again. Also, from what I hear, the GEO-YYZ cannot be done non-stop with the 737-800's, so they need to get long haul aircraft. We just have to wait and see. But placing a larger aircraft on the JFK route or YYZ allows them to carry larger loads and free up aircraft for more frequent short haul routes.

Some very valid points there. The 737-800 is actually capable of flying the distance but it will not be a good business practice to cut it so close. You looking at 20minutes of fuel left over.

Another good point  to use those planes on the JFK or YYZ routes besides having the heaviest traffic, the extensive flying range of the 767/777 would allow them to fly the plane twice without refuelling. POS-YYZ-POS could safely be done on one tank of gas with either plane, allowing them to refuel in Trinidad for a much cheaper price.
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 07, 2011, 08:09:49 AM »
F00ck Air Jamaica
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 07, 2011, 09:29:11 AM »
F00ck Air Jamaica

Sam we now own Air Jamaica so that will be like f%&!ing ourselves wouldn't it?!  :-\
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 07, 2011, 10:20:37 AM »
F00ck Air Jamaica

Sam we now own Air Jamaica so that will be like f%&!ing ourselves wouldn't it?!  :-\

:rotfl:

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #417 on: December 10, 2011, 04:18:10 AM »
PILOT STRIKE SHOT DOWN
Tribunal orders Air Jamaica staff to keep flying
By Curtis Rampersad Publications Editor
T&T Express.

Air Jamaica pilots attached to State carrier Caribbean Airlines (CAL) were blocked from taking strike action yesterday after they threatened to stop flying during the lead-up to Christmas, the second busiest travel season of the year.

On Thursday afternoon, CAL was served notice of industrial action to be taken within 72 hours by the Jamaican Airline Pilots Association (JALPA).

The notice was delivered to CAL at the Ministry of Labour in Jamaica.

The pilots are said to be upset about salary issues, and aviation sources said they submitted a claim for wages to CAL in Port of Spain almost nine months ago, but an agreement had not been concluded.

This could not be immediately confirmed yesterday, but in a statement to Jamaican media late Thursday, CAL said the threat of strike action by the pilots was "regrettable... as the pilots themselves wrote there is nothing Caribbean Airlines is in breach with them".

Jamaican Minister of Labour Pearnel Charles told reporters in Kingston on Thursday that the matter between the pilots and CAL was referred to the Industrial Disputes Tribunal in that country, and an attempt was being made to prevent a shutdown of the airline's operations out of Jamaica.

The tribunal met with the parties yesterday and issued a stop order against JALPA, with respect to this dispute.

Today, the Jamaican Industrial Disputes Tribunal issued an "Order To Refrain From Industrial Action" against JALPA, with respect to the dispute between CARIBAL Ltd (a fully owned subsidiary of CAL) and CAL's Jamaican pilots and, in particular, "that the industrial dispute shall not take place," CAL said in a statement last night.

"We are delighted that a sensible outcome has been achieved for families, friends, tourists and all customers into and out of Jamaica. It is not expected that passengers will experience any interrupted service during this Christmas season. Our contingency plans are still in effect and shall carry through for a few weeks at a much lower scale, and we have retained the ability to bring the contingencies fully up if issues arise to ensure there is no impact to the consumer."

Transport Minister Devant Maharaj and Nicholas have also been involved on Thursday in preventative measures against disruption of travel, which arose with the strike threat by the Jamaican pilots.

Contacted yesterday, Minister Maharaj told the Express he had become involved in the matter after Nicholas contacted him on Thursday night.

He also described the threat of strike action as "regrettable, especially when Trinidad owns Air Jamaica 100 per cent".

He said he was at a loss as to what could have motivated the threat by the pilots and said the CAL board of directors had treated with the situation, and there would be no disruptions.

Since July 1, CAL has successfully integrated the Air Jamaica and Caribbean Airlines brand into "One Airline".

"We have invested significantly into the pilot body, in particular with Boeing 737 training and development, provided the best in-class aircraft, good employment benefits and provided the employment environment for our Jamaican pilots. The Air Jamaica brand, which consists of 650 employees, will continue to operate," the airline said.

In November, Nicholas said CAL turned a $200 million profit.

But the Draft Estimates of Current Expenditure 2012, one of the national budget documents says Government subsidised the airline's operations to the tune of $290 million this year.

The stop order preventing the Jamaican pilots from taking action came one day after strike action by pilots of regional carrier LIAT continued, which temporarily stranded hundreds of passengers across the Caribbean from Tuesday.

LIAT said it resumed normal operations yesterday.

—additional reporting

by Carla Bridglal

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 10, 2011, 02:35:26 PM »
Interesting!  :thinking:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 10, 2011, 11:14:20 PM »
200 Million TT is how much JA Dollars?

Could be related.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

1]; } ?>