April 19, 2024, 08:46:50 AM

Author Topic: Any electronics experts...specifically TV  (Read 3989 times)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Any electronics experts...specifically TV
« on: September 06, 2006, 09:43:59 AM »
Hear wha...lemme preface this by saying I am not one to vacillate on any decsion..but I lookin for a tv for months now,, and is real headache  :P

Gone are the days  that you could walk into a store and say "ah wuh de big one" and walk out happy

Now yuh hadda deal with the diiferences beetween rear projection LCD vd flat LCD vs DLP...(I elimnate plasma completely because of the price,,,but even dem droppin like stone)

Yuh hadda study burn-in, pixelation, rainbow effect, longevity HD vs ED etc etc etc

No matter how many stores are walk into or how much sites yuh check...nobody could give a conclusive answer as to the best bang for your dollar

Personally I feel dem fellahs does purposely set up de tv at the good price with a bad picture...next to de slighly smaller one at a ridiculous price..with a real sharp crisp picture

Yesterday ah man hit mih ah bouncer...ah walk in thinkin "okay ah know which two ah narrow it down to"
but right next to dem have a new DLP with "silicon chips"..now de picture not as sharp as the others...(it not dull either) but the colour is SPECTACULAR....it was like kanavall tuesday at noon, and was only a football game on

ah walk out steupsin again oui

Anyway...any recent reccomendations?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Any electronics experts...specifically TV
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 10:24:30 AM »
Lawd..I jus went through the same delima.. it can be very confusing to say the least. I ended up getting the sony (lcd projection) 55 grand wega. What I noticed with some of the DLP projection is that the wheel (not sure what it's called) was very noisy.. at low volume you can really hear it. At first I was looking at the Toshiba 60in, but futureshop stop selling it. Then I decided on the Hitachi 60 but while in the store ah organize to get the sony for the same price. After-all when it comes to pic quality there's no comparison between hitachi and sony.

- consider the size of the room
- consider the res, especially when it comes to fast moving things on the screen. Sometime the processor cannot process the scene fast enough and you see pixelization (sp)
- look for something that has different connection options (hdmi etc..so you get clean pic and sound when hooking up your dvd and stereo etc.
- consider which one (lcd or dlp) bulb last longer

* Right now they have a deal where when you buy a big tv you get high def cable free for a year. This is a MUST.. you won't believe the pic you get in hig def. The best so far is discovery and tsn.. football will never be the same for me again. Jus have to convince the boss to pay for it for me after the frico ends ina year.

If you feel buying the tv is confusing..wait till you have to connect tv dvd and surround..lawd.. then when time to build a surronf system..even more pressha.

Oh..meh cuz just got the samsung 50in..great pic and excellent in a reg size room... but it can't compare to the sony.

Check these links as well:

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/specsformats/displaytechnologiesguide11.php

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtvreviews/lcdvsdlp.shtml

http://www.plasma.com/classroom/LCD_tv_versus_plasma_tv.htm

Edit: yea I get hit with the same silicon chips thing at futureshop.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 10:26:55 AM by Jumbie »

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 12:28:09 PM »
NICE!!  :thumbsup:

Dat help quite bit,, especially the part about hearing the wheel spinning at low volume...ah was kinda nervous about moving parts in a tv

but dat confirm it....bun dat one off de list for sure

ah done have de surround business covered...ah goin wireless
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 12:38:43 PM »
d tv leff me brokes..so I coolin mehself with surround sound at this point..until somebody get meh vex and ah borrow dey visa ::)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 12:42:46 PM »

Dat help quite bit,, especially the part about hearing the wheel spinning at low volume...ah was kinda nervous about moving parts in a tv

but dat confirm it....bun dat one off de list for sure

ah done have de surround business covered...ah goin wireless

Buh wait...is not you who have de padnah who went and build a flikkin arcade, shoppin mall, cinema, and club zen in he basement?

If is anybody who go know dem answer should be he ent?

Doh study Jumbie nah....he livin on borrowed time.  He eh go get no time to enjoy de TV and stereo anyway cause he go be busy shoppin fuh jeans in buffalo.  ;D
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 12:46:58 PM »

not an expert by any means, but be aware of the light pollution in your viewing room. Essentially you want a set that delivers enough lumens to compensate for a light polluted room (if that is even a problem). Also clarity in acute viewing angles; but again, this is taking into consideration the setup of your viewing area.
With respect to wireless speakers, do some testing first; there is always the chance of signal interference and degradation/attenuation... or I could just be blowing this out of my ass (see disclaimer below)  :rotfl:
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 12:47:59 PM »

Buh wait...is not you who have de padnah who went and build a flikkin arcade, shoppin mall, cinema, and club zen in he basement?

If is anybody who go know dem answer should be he ent?

Doh study Jumbie nah....he livin on borrowed time.  He eh go get no time to enjoy de TV and stereo anyway cause he go be busy shoppin fuh jeans in buffalo.  ;D

Nah if you notice he only have one lil 25" plasma over he bar...so he eh really shop around too much

besides,, he does spend money kinda wile in my opinion,, dais de quickest man to tell you "well just get the most expensive one they have"

my money eh big so

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 06:18:27 AM »
i will have to keep this thread handy when I ready to buy.

But in the mean time, the 13" B&W with rabbit ears go have to do.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 06:21:26 AM »

Yuh does get channels 2 & 13 in london wit dat ting?

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 06:48:37 AM »

Yuh does get channels 2 & 13 in london wit dat ting?

nah, dem too far from here ... we only have one stn in London . Channel 9

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 08:43:46 AM »
meh fren was telling me about a "tv tuner" - some kind of device you can attach to a computer to watch tv. i refuse to buy a tv but might look at one of these things.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 09:34:56 AM »
yuh should buy a blu-ray drive to go with that

Més que un club.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 09:49:41 AM »
yuh should buy a blu-ray drive to go with that

your dollars is LONG fren

I see de price ah dem blu-ray ting  :o :o....no thanks dem could keep dat, ha plenty other HD dvd players at half de price

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 09:54:52 AM »
Alright

I take a good while to buy meh tv and I know the confusion.

plasma is d best but it real expensive and it does conk out after 2-3 years.

The LCD not bad but the bigger tvs doe look as good.

Also if yuh playing game on yuh tv...xbox360 or ps3 then yuh liable to get burn in.

honestly a good tube TV does give yuh a clean nice pix.

Rule of thumb...Sony is the best all round no matter what type of tv yuh buy..lcd, tube etc. however the colour tends to be a bit darker, but the image is sharper.

panasonic and toshiba is d next two in line. Excellent tv.

All d rest is imitators and substandard versions of them three brands.

Also make sure yuh cables good...doe be cheap, but the proper cables and connections, it does make a big difference.

I had meh xbox with the normal cord...it looking ok....when I put in the component cables from monster I say wheeeyyyy...totallly different view and picture. Crystal clear.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006, 10:05:30 AM »
Thanks for the follow

Yuh right tube is best,...but I eliminate them because ah goin flat...plus de tube i have goin upstairs in mih bedroom

For the space/room I targeting 14x15...a 42" will be perfect..so lcd pixel stretch no problem there

boy i watch ah sony vsah samsung de odder day lcd vs dlp...dat samsung givin sony pressure for clarity it crisp too bad...or better yet it CRIPS!!

cables I have covered...people does waste dey money on monster cables and yuh get the same 1080p signal with waay cheaper cables of the same size as the monsters
 where I runnin into problems rear lcd vs flat lcd vs dlp....if plasma $$ drop any lower..ah tink is more headache for me.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2006, 10:08:13 AM »
meh fren was telling me about a "tv tuner" - some kind of device you can attach to a computer to watch tv. i refuse to buy a tv but might look at one of these things.

why you refuse to buy a tv? wuh you does do during a snowstorm?

better yet...why you perfer to squinch up yuh eye on a computer screen to watch wuh yuh refuse to buy

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2006, 12:27:37 PM »

why you refuse to buy a tv? wuh you does do during a snowstorm?

better yet...why you perfer to squinch up yuh eye on a computer screen to watch wuh yuh refuse to buy

i think they designed tv to be a one-way means of distributing information. but the internet is multi-way which makes me feel a little more in control of the information i'm consuming. just thinking of all those tv commercials i watched as a child and the repeat episodes of three's company - geez it's shameful how much time i wasted  :( . now i'll meet up with people who start reliving something that happened on seinfeld or friends or some other show  ??? ; i don't feel i missed much. i guess it's more a rejection of tv content and tv format than the device itself.

of course, if there's a good series on, you can usually get it somewhere on the internet - even with this the time cost is bit more transparent. if i had a choice, i would rather watch a tv show with the ads filtered out that i got from the internet than one on tv unfiltered.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2006, 05:19:27 PM »
Dutty..a DLP is the best bet in terms or quality and price..the Bulb will last you about 8 years before burning out.
also yuh might as well wait till Christmas to buy a tv cause is only 3 months away.
LCD's coming in bigger screen sizes but the price still up there, while Plasma's are actually getting cheaper but they fade in a few years.

Jumbie..the noise yuh hear on that color wheel must be was a defect lol

Ribbit..try this out http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815116616
this Hauppage 250 is real good, i have no trouble and playback is near DVD quality..with this yuh ent need Tivo.
there is also a 350 or 550 where u can run simultaneous signals

EDIT:
ah forget to mention that yuh should forget bout the 720p resolotoin tv's..those are the tv's that seem to have people saying that 'flat panel' tv's are going down in price...when in truth the price going down cause it have newer technology and features in the latest tv's.
buying the 1080i and 1080p tv's will be money well spent in my mind...unless yuh want to wait another 2 years for those prices to go down lol
also rememebr some tv's are not 'backward resolution' compatible..eg, they may play HD and similar but can't play regular analog and over the air signals.
here's a few tv's to browse:
50 inch - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16889102073
42 inch - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16889102068
it had tv's cheaper on another site by at least $300 but ah cant remeber right now.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 06:30:12 PM by Feliziano »
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2006, 05:39:25 PM »
I have a WinFast TV2000 XP Expert tuner card.
It good for students....a big ass TV is hell to move around and take up space in a dorm room.
TV Tuners

TT is ah expert in TVs
Check it
 ;D

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2006, 05:50:37 PM »
I have a WinFast TV2000 XP Expert tuner card.
It good for students....a big ass TV is hell to move around and take up space in a dorm room.
TV Tuners

TT is ah expert in TVs
Check it
 ;D
yuh does shop at Newegg?
i think dat is the best ever business place i deal with online yes  ;D
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2006, 11:50:20 AM »
Feliziano's right about the res. A lot of panels out there are still less than the full 1080i spec. That's 1920x1080 pixels native. If you are looking at over 32" don't settle for less. Plenty large screens are still only 1366x768 or so. I've been waiting for the full res panels to become more prevalent before I take the plunge on a large screen.

I've currently got a 32" phillips HD tube that will tide me over til prices drop a bit more.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2006, 11:58:06 AM »
I would go with a 32 inch flat screen or LCD. As long as I COULD PLAY MEH WINNING ELEVEN 9 AND FUTURE WE10 on it I good

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2006, 01:34:04 PM »
Thanks for the follow ups folks  :thumbsup:
After de resolution solutions from feliz & e-man to add more headache

I tink I just goin an buuy ah plastic viewmaster and ah AM radio and done de talk

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2006, 01:35:51 PM »
Thanks for the follow ups folks  :thumbsup:
After de resolution solutions from feliz & e-man to add more headache

I tink I just goin an buuy ah plastic viewmaster and ah AM radio and done de talk

jes go next door to watch the neighbour TV like dey use to in T&T

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2006, 07:23:26 AM »
Feliz.. the noise is common on all TVs with the projection ting.., unless you went with the silicone type that sony recently released... truss meh.

The bess way when looking is to test the same dvd on all the tvs you're interested in.. this way you will get an idea on pic quality. When in the stores you'll find that if the tv is connected to hd cable source it can still be not as crisp on all tvs, since it'll be a shared hd connection. Simply ask the people to get ah dvd / player and try the same dvd on all the tvs.

Touches right..Sony is they fadda when it comes to res (my personal view)..as well as his comments about games. I doh play games..but I can tell you that blues showing like if you was at Pinos watching them "flim" it.

Re: Bul ray.. wait.. it have 2 different formats being released or alread released..the price will drop within 6 months as competition rages.

Feliz.. re : newegg.. I was one of the first customers on the original site (egghead.com)... a kinda-fren of mines was with them when they first launched. Great site (back then) for deals galore.

1]; } ?>