April 27, 2024, 03:46:40 AM

Author Topic: Are we in a better position presently to do the impossible,win in 2010?  (Read 7171 times)

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The 2006 world cup is behind us now and we have gained valuable experience during our run,but I have noticed that most people keep saying we will definitely qualify in 2010,you never hear anyone saying we will win it in 2010,as if that is way beyond reality or maybe I'm missing something hear,but it's echoed through the entire caribbean that the likes of trini,jamaica should be only content with qualifying,so is it that we're only good enough to qualify or at what point will we be able to contest the illustrious cup,in 10years,20years from now.

What you guys feel,it's wishful thinking or we will quicker see ah trini in the EPL win ah championship like dwight did with man u,within the next 4years.         
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 01:05:11 PM by saga pinto »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Re: Are we in a better position presently to do the impossible,win in 2010?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 01:03:34 PM »
Good talk: I truly am not of the opinion that we are any better off. What we do konw is that we have some players who are abroad who could be the core of a potentially solid team. But our infrastructure remains or appears to be operating  like that of old.

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 01:12:12 PM »
No we are not

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 01:20:43 PM »
Not to be negative eh, but some would even suggest that our reaching the FIFA World Cup Finals 2006 was a Fluke to the tune of a godfather and a back door pass. I am of the opinion that unless the powers that be in T&T football start thinking like winners and believing in their own abilities, we will always be content with a cameo. I keep watching the three world cup games we played. And I must admit I am aching to see our boys play a more free, attacking football with disciplined defence. But yeah the Administration ohhh that Administration boy. . .  .
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 01:30:09 PM »
Not to be negative eh, but some would even suggest that our reaching the FIFA World Cup Finals 2006 was a Fluke to the tune of a godfather and a back door pass. I am of the opinion that unless the powers that be in T&T football start thinking like winners and believing in their own abilities, we will always be content with a cameo. I keep watching the three world cup games we played. And I must admit I am aching to see our boys play a more free, attacking football with disciplined defence. But yeah the Administration ohhh that Administration boy. . .  .

Good post  :applause: :applause: :applause:

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 01:33:53 PM »
Not to be negative eh, but some would even suggest that our reaching the FIFA World Cup Finals 2006 was a Fluke to the tune of a godfather and a back door pass.

Are you part of the "some"?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 01:35:59 PM »

Good post  :applause: :applause: :applause:

Thanks Che!

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 01:42:51 PM »
Not to be negative eh, but some would even suggest that our reaching the FIFA World Cup Finals 2006 was a Fluke to the tune of a godfather and a back door pass.

Are you part of the "some"?

I am a believer in using ALL your abilities and strengths and assets. I am not privy to any "help" that may have been in our favour. But what I saw was the boys do the job on the field. 90 minutes, one game at a time, within the same rules of the other teams. So to answer your question, No I am not one of them.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 01:51:52 PM »
I am a believer in using ALL your abilities and strengths and assets. I am not privy to any "help" that may have been in our favour. But what I saw was the boys do the job on the field. 90 minutes, one game at a time, within the same rules of the other teams. So to answer your question, No I am not one of them.

Cool.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

TrinInfinite

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2006, 02:54:59 PM »
winning the world cup is a big step, we would have to play more attacking football and better finishing for us to do this, but it is not impossible, i will say one ting, the 74' team could have gone far and contested, hopefully we will have that talent arise once more, bc i will say again, we are still missing that spark in de team...

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2006, 05:49:30 PM »
nothing is wrong with talking about qualifying first. u cannot win the WC without qualifying. they are two completely different animals and qualifying requires a game plan all of its own. looking ahead at winning the WC without focusing on qualifying is stupid and will help guarantee that neither will happen.

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2006, 06:21:51 PM »
nothing is wrong with talking about qualifying first. u cannot win the WC without qualifying. they are two completely different animals and qualifying requires a game plan all of its own. looking ahead at winning the WC without focusing on qualifying is stupid and will help guarantee that neither will happen.

Well said,but the  premise here is are we that good enough while understanding that it does take planning to qualify and then the next step is winning the cup,or will time prove that we won't that good in the first place.

These being all rethorical questions..........     

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2006, 06:54:45 PM »
There is no doubt that T&T has what it takes to qualify for many more WC, we have know that since 1973, and we will keep producing the talent to do it, but to win the WC takes much more, and that is where the challenge is. We need players to understand what team work is, we need them to understand and work on the psychological aspects of the game, along with the physical requirements. When that happens only then can we discuss with seriousness T&T winning the WC. We women's team have a better chance of winning a WC before de men.

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2006, 07:22:46 PM »
There is no doubt that T&T has what it takes to qualify for many more WC, we have know that since 1973, and we will keep producing the talent to do it, but to win the WC takes much more, and that is where the challenge is. We need players to understand what team work is, we need them to understand and work on the psychological aspects of the game, along with the physical requirements. When that happens only then can we discuss with seriousness T&T winning the WC. We women's team have a better chance of winning a WC before de men.

Hmmm may I ask how long you think it will take our players to understand what team work is,I can't believe that we're so far gone,that we don't no what team work is,and wait psychological as well,jesus lord father I thought that was a given,no no no I've to remember don't take anything for granted where the men are concerned,it must be something biological.

Here's a thought maybe the Hiring of a female coach is what the men need to help them on there team work and psyche............       

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2006, 07:44:31 PM »

Hmmm may I ask how long you think it will take our players to understand what team work is,I can't believe that we're so far gone,that we don't no what team work is,and wait psychological as well,jesus lord father I thought that was a given,no no no I've to remember don't take anything for granted where the men are concerned,it must be something biological.

Here's a thought maybe the Hiring of a female coach is what the men need to help them on there team work and psyche............       

I don't think he was suggesting that our women have the "team work and psychological aspects" down so much better than the men. i think what he was saying is that the gap between us and our potential wc conendors (brazil, argentina, england, holland, germany etc) is a lot larger on the men's side than it is on the women's side, that being for the simple reason that the women's game as a whole is a lot less developped and there are fewer real contenders.

Don't get your panties in a bunch (no pun intended  ;D)
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2006, 08:03:04 PM »
I think the best way to illustrate this is by using a number of examples.

South Korea has been ruling Asia all these years (something we can't say for ourselves) . However it took them 6 World Cups before they win a game. I don't know if they would have achieved that without the home advantage. After their semi final in 2002, they could have been swell headed, but I doubt South Korea was telling themselves they could have won the world Cup. At best I think they would've expected a quarter final, given the weak group they were handed

Mexico has been ruling CONCACAF these years and has traditionally been considered the only non europe, non southamerican team worth considering. They have even hosted the World Cup on two separate occasions. However, their stated goal in 2006 was to get past the quarterfinals. (Incidentally they did not get there).

The US, with as much or less footballing pedigree as South Korea on the back of one QF appearance in 2002, gave themselves the stated objective of winning the World Cup by 2010. Given the 2006 results, its a wonder they haven't publicly recanted that stance. Everybody here would probably agree that the US very far away from winning a World Cup.

Yet we who have been catching our royal to even match them are supposed to be capable, and in 4 years to boot.
l
MAY I ALSO REMIND EVERYONE HOW FEW COUNTRIES HAVE WON THE WC EVER and you could practically take Uruguay off trhat list for all intents and purposes...
I think for a country with our player pool and financing (corporate sponsorship and fan support in particular) we should be concerned about making regular appearances to the World Cup a norm before venturing into the realm of the 'impossible'
Granted if we qualify for 2010, anything less than second round would be a dissappointment for us...However we should compare several other countries that are similarly placed and ask why they haven't been able to take the step up or worse yet, have not been qualifying consistently.
A number of African countries come to mind, but several of our concacaf adversaries as well.

We need to ask ourselves what did we have in 2006 that we didn't have before? And will it suffice in 2010 to replicate the same conditions for us to qualify?) And if it does, what then needs to be changed for us to do better than 2006? Or was it a simple 'alignment of the planets' the likes of which will never occur in another x number of years?

« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 08:17:00 PM by Midknight »
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2006, 08:05:38 PM »
Same sh...(TTFF).... ooops manure different pile

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2006, 09:01:54 PM »
I would say that when we started the 2006 campaign nobody thought we had a realistic shot. This time around although Camps etal still in charge we have a structure that if they put legs too will make the 2010 WC more of a reality than the 2006
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2006, 05:11:36 AM »
The 2006 world cup is behind us now and we have gained valuable experience during our run,but I have noticed that most people keep saying we will definitely qualify in 2010,you never hear anyone saying we will win it in 2010,as if that is way beyond reality or maybe I'm missing something hear,but it's echoed through the entire caribbean that the likes of trini,jamaica should be only content with qualifying,so is it that we're only good enough to qualify or at what point will we be able to contest the illustrious cup,in 10years,20years from now.

What you guys feel,it's wishful thinking or we will quicker see ah trini in the EPL win ah championship like dwight did with man u,within the next 4years.         

You have to take this thing in stages. First aim is to get to the finals. all efforts should be focused on that before you start focusing on wining games or advancing to the quarter finals.

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2006, 05:16:07 AM »
winning the world cup is a big step, we would have to play more attacking football and better finishing for us to do this, but it is not impossible, i will say one ting, the 74' team could have gone far and contested, hopefully we will have that talent arise once more, bc i will say again, we are still missing that spark in de team...

Did you see the 74 team play? H/ow did the other CONCACAF representatives do at that tournament? Unless CONCADAF did treally well that year...its kind of a long shot to suggest T&T would do any better than they did at the last finals.

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2006, 06:09:54 AM »

I don't think he was suggesting that our women have the "team work and psychological aspects" down so much better than the men. i think what he was saying is that the gap between us and our potential wc conendors (brazil, argentina, england, holland, germany etc) is a lot larger on the men's side than it is on the women's side, that being for the simple reason that the women's game as a whole is a lot less developped and there are fewer real contenders.

Don't get your panties in a bunch (no pun intended  ;D)

Funny yuh mention panties,because I used to work for glamour girl back in de days.............I know them panties well...... ;D
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 06:12:19 AM by saga pinto »

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2006, 07:09:43 AM »

Well said,but the  premise here is are we that good enough while understanding that it does take planning to qualify and then the next step is winning the cup,or will time prove that we won't that good in the first place.

These being all rethorical questions..........     

I think yuh mean hypothetical questions.....

Midknight post is the best one in this thread so far. And I agree with RF totally. Let us just take it one step at a time. Let us see if we can qualify for the next WC. Talking about winning the WC at this point, even in theory, is a joke...and that is not being defeatist. That is just applying the most basic football knowledge to where we are at this point.

One step at a time. I would start with 1) whether we can win the Digicel..2) whether we can win the Gold Cup...3) will we qualify for the Hex....4) will we qualify for the WC
We should be analyzing these prospects...not talking about whether we can win the WC.

However, given where we were at this point 4 years ago..we are definitely in a better position to qualify for the WC. Many of the players have more experience in extreme high pressure situations. Quite a few are playing at a higher club level than they were 4 years ago. Although Beenie is gone, there is some continuity at the coaching level. However, some of our best players are too old and competition in the region is arguably getting tougher. We may not get such an easy walk into the hex this round...but overall we are in a better position

TrinInfinite

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2006, 07:10:13 AM »

Did you see the 74 team play? H/ow did the other CONCACAF representatives do at that tournament? Unless CONCADAF did treally well that year...its kind of a long shot to suggest T&T would do any better than they did at the last finals.

actually my friends granduncle is cave who was on the 74' team, plus i read about them all the time and did alot of research on the teams they beat, one being argentina the year b4, who made it to semis of germany wc in 74', tt would have cleaned house if haiti did not rob us, haiti has been paying since....

God is de BOSS...

truetrini

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2006, 08:09:28 AM »

actually my friends granduncle is cave who was on the 74' team, plus i read about them all the time and did alot of research on the teams they beat, one being argentina the year b4, who made it to semis of germany wc in 74', tt would have cleaned house if haiti did not rob us, haiti has been paying since....

God is de BOSS...

Fella you is ah real ass yuh know dat?

Listen I know yuh love T&T and feel dat we is de best in eberything, ah real happy fuh yuh although yuh real unrealistic and downright delusional!

Fact is we never beat no damn Argentina in 1972, Or 1973![/b]  In fact I eh sure we ever play Argentina at all..where and when was dat mysterious game played...and what was de score, Mr. Researcher?

Fact is Haiti were as good as T&T around that time

23-Nov-1968: Trinidad & Tobago   0 -  4  Haiti (WCQ).
25-Nov-1968: Haiti   2 -  4  Trinidad & Tobago (WCQ).
1971: Trinidad & Tobago   0 -  6  Haiti (Concacaf
1973: Haiti   2  -  1  Trinidad & Tobago - (WCQ), 4th, December   Tief game dis is where dey tief we bad!

Allyuh guys real unrealistic, T&T now oass de SEA and allyuh feel we ready tuh pass CXC already?

Filiho said it best...qualify first before thinking about winning a damn game....because qualifying has its own unique circumstances and is probably going to be as if not more difficult than winning a WC game.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2006, 08:17:43 AM »

God is de BOSS...

Listen I know yuh love T&T and feel dat we is de best in eberything, ah real happy fuh yuh although yuh real unrealistic and downright delusional!

Fact is we never beat no damn Argentina in 1972, Or 1973![/b]  In fact I eh sure we ever play Argentina at all..where and when was dat mysterious game played...and what was de score, Mr. Researcher?

I think he was referring to a Panamerican Games match in Winnipeg in 1967 where we beat Argentina and got the bronze medal...

truetrini

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2006, 08:24:52 AM »

God is de BOSS...

I think he was referring to a Panamerican Games match in Winnipeg in 1967 where we beat Argentina and got the bronze medal...

ok so how de arse dat was de year before ?  67 far removed from 1972

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2006, 08:37:27 AM »
ask him ??? Sometimes we get the dates mixed up for these long time results. Happens to the bet of us.

truetrini

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2006, 08:45:56 AM »
ask him ??? Sometimes we get the dates mixed up for these long time results. Happens to the bet of us.

of course that will be the excuse.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2006, 08:47:24 AM »
this thread reminds me of them ppl does plan out how they going to spend up their lottery winnings. they go to expedia to plan out fantasy trips to all kinds of places. they know how much the cars they go buy who they go give a little bit to, who they buying house for. all kinds of sh*t all on the premise that they winning lottery. allyuh idle oui.  :(

truetrini

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2006, 09:19:35 AM »
this thread reminds me of them ppl does plan out how they going to spend up their lottery winnings. they go to expedia to plan out fantasy trips to all kinds of places. they know how much the cars they go buy who they go give a little bit to, who they buying house for. all kinds of sh*t all on the premise that they winning lottery. allyuh idle oui.  :(
well said ribbit

1]; } ?>