April 28, 2024, 05:02:33 PM

Author Topic: Burns beats Brown in 100m scorcher.  (Read 6559 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Burns beats Brown in 100m scorcher.
« on: June 26, 2005, 06:37:28 AM »
Burns beats Brown in 100m scorcher.
By Walter Alibey.

Marc Burns ran the race of his life in the Sagicor National Senior Track and Field Championship at the Hasely Crawford Stadium yesterday when he defeated his life-long friend and schoolmate Darrel Brown to win their anticipated clash in the Men Open 100 Metres final in a time of 9.96 seconds. Burns had literally set-up the win when he produced a blistering run in an earlier heat which impressed the crowd.

Fans who predicted the unpredictable one, two, three in the 100 metres final also benefited with a $500 award from sponsors Sagicor.

Brown collected the silver medal in an impressive 9.99 seconds after being edged out in a race fans would long remember.

Both Brown and Burns got out the blocks quickly and appeared to be level pegging after 50 metres but Burns pulled out that little bit extra in the final five metres to just get the nod.

Not strangely the times for the top four sprinters were all personal best times.

Aaron Armstrong, son of ex-national sprint ace Ainsley Armstrong, who returned from the United States, produced his best time in filling third position with a 10.04 seconds clocking, while the effervescent Jacey Harper was fourth in 10.10 seconds.

The race had been the fastest seen in Trinidad and Tobago for the past decade, as all four athletes clocked ten seconds and under.

United Kingdom-based Mark Findlay failed to make it to the final although he placed second, as unfortunately his starting blocks slipped and he was off to a poor start resulting in 10.54 clocking.

Kelly Ann Baptiste also produced a new national record and another personal best time when she disposed of a competitive field to win the Women’s 100 metres final in 11.17 seconds.

Despite finishing only second in her heat an hour earlier, the Tobago lass sprinted to the line a deserving winner.

Sedonie Mothersill of Guyana just edged out Fana Ashby for the silver medal in 11.24 seconds. Ashby clocked 11.29 for the bronze medal, with Ayana Hutchinson fourth.

Meanwhile, Rhonda Watkins did not disappoint the crowd when she leapt to a distance of 6.19 metres to win the Women’s Open Long Jump.

She left a number of followers in her trail to the delight of the few thousand fans that made their way to the Mucurapo stadium for the games.

Among those who trailed the Bishop Anstey athlete was second placed Sheron Mark (QRC) who had a leap of 6.09 metres and Joanna Trotman (UK) 5.87 metres.

Sade St Louis continued where she left off in the Junior Championships at the same venue last week, winning gold in the Open Women’s 400 metres in style.

The Memphis athlete completed the run in an impressive 54.80 seconds followed closely by Simplex runner Ricci Alleyne (55.80) while Aisha George collected the bronze in a time of 57.29 seconds.

Sancheze Ross (Eagles) made his mark in the 110 metres hurdles whipping his rivals in 14.20 seconds, leading from start to finish.

The talented Keal Armstrong of Tobago Falcons also put on a good show in getting silver in 14.90, while Jerome Guy clocked 15.90 seconds for the bronze medal.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
Re: Burns beats Brown in 100m scorcher.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 07:49:40 PM »
wow.

Dat is an amzing thing that just happen.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 05:44:39 AM »
Whats the deal with Jacey Harper ? we should have a decent 4x1 now.. but Ato should not have resign, he did make a difference in the 4x1 in Canada when T&T grab silver.. he run that second leg sweet, if ole man Frankie Fredricks could run then who de hell is Ato !!!! Jacey Harper beat Brown once to, he should have some toes.

Like Mark Findlay feel de heat...  :P :P
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 08:07:06 AM »
Nice to see brown and burns join the sub 10 club.  With Armstrong and Harper in de mix, we should have a good 4 x 1 relay tean once they get some good practices together.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 08:09:50 AM »
Kelly Ann Baptiste is doing very well.  With the world junior championships coming up, she should medal based on current form.  She has lots of potential.

jusme

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 09:16:27 AM »
a link to a thread discussing these results on atoboldon.com.   Includes quite a few comments by Ato himself.

http://www.atoboldon.com/letsrap/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2826&FORUM_ID=2&CAT_ID=3&Topic_Title=T%26T+Senior+National+Champs%2E&Forum_Title=%2A+Let%27s+Rap+%2A

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 09:55:40 AM »
Very interesting points by Ato.  I am tending to agree with him.  The times are indeed suprising and I was all caught up with the good times without thinking about the drastic changes in performance.  For a 100m sprinter to chop 3 tenths of a second off his time for the season is close to impossible.  TnT trials fatser than the US and Jamaica...close to impossible.

Hopefully it is just an error..the wind gauge or a shortened track and nothing else.

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 02:40:00 PM »
Ato's comments:
All comers records or championships records are not important to me, or anyone else when they are in Trinidad. That track has been ratified less than a month!
A legit championships that EVERY YEAR don't have bogus times is. I already gave u the example of last year's times for the women which were totally wrong - and which they put in the books.
Raising your game is one thing, not 10 people (W and M) PRing in the same meet in the 100. No-one broke 10.3 in the heats, so I am glad you raised that point. When have u ever seen heats at 10.3 and finals the same day in 9.9? Not at NCAAs this year, where no-one broke 10.3 in the heats and then 10.21 won. Not in the US, GB - anywhere, it has never happened before. Of course I will not have any press comments to discourage so many, because that is not my aim - but at the same time, don't even take my word for it now - just watch - watch the rest of the season. I have no clue what you are talking about with margin of victory and placings - that is completely illogical in terms of what I am talking about...what difference does that make?
I'll leave u with this. Asafa ran 10.04 to win his trials - which would have been 4th place at the Trinidad trials....???
Look up Harper's performances this year then tell me where those times fell out of the sky from. Then look up Armstrong's. 3 tenths and 4 tenths of a second don't fall out of the sky, folks. Not in the 100. You don't come into trials anywhere with a 10.5 best and run 10.10. Never been done - anywhere ever, and if so, show me, cuz I have been to every meet that has mattered since 1992.

But what do I know.....

Just make sure everyone comes back and says "ok Ato u did call this one," in about 2 months, cuz all the 10.0 and 10.10 guys from trials are going to run 10.3 and 10.4 just like they were before the "magic carpet ride" yesterday.
JUST watch, I am not going to discuss it further.

I speak to BURNS and Brown on a DAILY basis. You heard that? DAILY! So this is not about bitterness. What am I bitter about...? I want it to be done legitimately, not some phantom time that you chase and totally screws up your confidence for the rest of the year, maybe career. As soon as they run fast outside of that stadium with those officials who I saw get it WRONG last year in a major meet like the trials, and refused to change it, THEN - and remember that my red flag is not BURNS or BROWN, they CAN do those times even if I think they didn't yesterday - it's the ones behind them who have never been anywhere in that vicinity who now have....I believe places 1-6 were PRs in that race yesterday - which, as all statisticians like myself know, is ALWAYS a huge red flag - it does not happen in track in the 100. The Olympic finals in 04, 00 and 96 combined produced maybe 3 PRs (Gatlin, Doovan, Myself) When u look at some old lists and see *doubtful timing* next to it - it's usually things like this. Don't act like this is uncommon in the sport either....they threw out a whole bunch of times from Edmonton and that was the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS! WHY do u think that was? Look it up. Something made them go check the wind gauge - yep - everyone PRing in the same race by huge amounts!

Its a bold move to come out against those times, especially being who he is.  But, if you go to the forum you will see he repeatedly gives point by point examples of why he is suspicious of the times, so at least he is not just hating because 'new dogs' run some fast time, I actually belive he wants the time to be legit, so that respectability can be restored to published and recorded times coming out of Trinidad and Tobago.
Me personally I hope that the race was so hottly contested that they just brought out the best in each other in that particular race.
I guess time will tell.
Either way I want to see us in a 4x100m soon.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 10:26:11 PM »
i feel dem men false start or d machines wrong
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 09:05:01 AM »
Hasely fuming over sub-10 query

Ato: It's my right

Kwame Laurence klaurence@trinidadexpress.com

Wednesday, June 29th 2005

The most successful Trinidad and Tobago athletes in history are at odds over Saturday's historic sub-10 100 metres dash, at the Sagicor National Open Track and Field Championships.

On his atoboldon.com website, Ato Boldon has queried the legitimacy of the fast times clocked at the Championships.

In response, a fuming Hasely Crawford has come out in defence of the National Amateur Athletic Association (NAAA), the sport's local governing body.

In the first-ever sub-10 100m race in T&T, Marc Burns triumphed in 9.96 seconds and Darrel Brown finished second in 9.99. Never before had either sprinter dived under ten seconds. There were PRs (personal records) as well for bronze medallist Aaron Armstrong (10.04), fourth-placed Jacey Harper (10.10) and fifth-placed Kevon Pierre (10.22).

Crawford, a trustee on the NAAA executive, told the Express, yesterday, he "will defend to the hilt" the legitimacy of the times produced on the newly-certified track at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, on the weekend.

"It's unfortunate for Ato to criticise the guys. I am very disturbed. Last year, on the same track and with the same timing device, he did not question his own 10.09.

"We are a responsible association," the 1976 Olympic Games 100m champion continued, "and we took a decision to ensure things were properly done for the meet.

"Through the assistance of the Ministry of Sport and the Sports Company, we acquired block sensors for $150,000. Also, Trevor Hewitt (Advanced Performance Technologies Limited) took the timing device to New York and had it calibrated to IAAF (International Association of Athletics Federations) standards.

"And the very guy who did the calibration and brought down the sensors came here and trained our people."

Boldon, though, has defended his right to an opinion.

"I didn't take exception when Darrel's father (Winston Brown) was saying I had false started at Nationals last year," the CBS commentator told the Express, yesterday.

"That was his opinion...and I will not be censored on my own message board just for the sake of being politically correct. People's initial reaction will be 'because Ato never broke 10 at home, he is doubting the times'. But it's not a bitter reaction. I speak to Darrel and Marc on a daily basis...they're like brothers to me. However, some of the lesser placings in the race just did not look right. I was in the stands at the US Champs, and a lot of people discarded the times.

"Anytime as many as five people run PRs in the same race," the quadruple Olympic medallist continued, "alarm bells are raised. I don't know if anything has gone wrong, but personally, I'm saying it's a little suspect."

The retired Boldon, who dived under 10 seconds 28 times between 1996 and 2001, said he is not second guessing the ability of Burns and Brown.

"On my site, I have already added Marc's 9.96 and Darrel's 9.99. I'm glad to say that a country as small as ours has three sub-10 sprinters. Hasely's doing his job, but it's just that it's very rare for so many people to run PRs in the same 100, so whoever's vex about what I said, including Hasely, too bad. Most people are engaged, but I'm married to this track thing."

Crawford said that while the top five sprinters in the race did run career best times, the three that trailed the field were unable to produce anything special. Melvin Nero (10.35), Dion Rodriguez (10.40) and Antiguan Daniel Bailey (10.44) were sixth, seventh and eighth, respectively.

"After all the years Ato's father (Guy Boldon) has been pounding the NAAA, to hear this, now that we're doing things right, is disheartening. With all the hype in the build up to Nationals, it's very easy to drop from 10.1s to sub-10. As a trustee it's my role to protect the assets of the association, and those guys are assets."

Crawford said that Boldon's comments about Saturday's sub-10 race have put the NAAA in an awkward position.

"Those guys see him as an exemplar, and we had made a decision for Ato to work with the relay teams for the World Championships, in Helsinki.

"My advice for Marc and Darrel," he continued, "is to do what I have always done, and make a negative into a positive. They are serious threats for Worlds, but I do think they should run more 200s for strength."

The former track star said he is excited about the depth in T&T athletics.

"We have a battery of about eight good, young sprinters. And the NGC Right on Track programme has discovered a lot of under-14 and under-16 talent as well. In Helsinki, Armstrong could do well in the 200, and though Kelly-Ann Baptiste is one for the future, she could make a final. We also have good quarter-milers, half-milers and throwers. Never in history have we had such depth," Crawford ended. "We need to close ranks and support each other."

jusme

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 12:40:31 PM »
An official statement from Ato (found at http://www.atoboldon.com/letsrap/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2862&FORUM_ID=2&CAT_ID=3&Topic_Title=OFFICIAL+STATEMENT+from+ATO&Forum_Title=%2A+Let%27s+Rap+%2A )

I speak to tons of young people all over the world. I tell them constantly to not be afraid to have opinions and to think for themselves and not accept everything blindly, no matter what the consequences and no matter if feathers are ruffled. Too often, people are silenced because they have a dissenting opinion.
Although the NAAA has conveyed some statements which would lead the public to believe that after 12 years of making stands and taking positions that have bettered life for the track athlete in Trinidad and Tobago, I am suddenly against anyone who runs fast, that has never been my character, and up to a week ago, I penned an article praising the exploits of our own Kerron Clement and why I wished he had remained a TnT citizen. My statements in this situation are based on several truths.

TRUTH: This was never meant to be a truly "public comment" because I never wanted to disparage anyone's performances publicly, but rather it was an issue raised on my website with fellow posters who raise countless points about all manner of track matters. I was reminded of the result errors at Trials last year. Someone came onto my site, but yet was shocked to find my opinion there! It then became a story/scandal.

TRUTH: Despite any reports to the contrary, it took the NAAA 24 hours to get the results right for Fana Ashby from the Olympic trials 100m last year, so I believe it is justified to ask if this year's were 100% correct. Their comments about this year's calibration and how much money was spent this year are typical. YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO DO THAT EVERY YEAR EVERY TIME, even though they are making it seem like that was some sort of extra they did.

TRUTH: I supported this NAAA administration in their quest for re-election because I believe that they have done very well by the local athlete and they are a group of very capable individuals from top to bottom. They were deserving of their Stollmeyer award for the best local organization. That does not mean that they are beyond reproach or scrutiny, particularly given last year's error.

TRUTH: I offered to help with the relay team. They did not respond within a month of the time I had told them I needed to have an answer and I wished them well and rescinded my offer. All NAAA officials and spokespersons who are saying that I am affiliated with the relay team or part of the coaching staff for Helsinki are well aware that I have no such affiliation or aspiration, and none is planned at any time.

TRUTH: I had a conversation with Brown on the day of the race, soon after its conclusion and he was perfectly fine with my comment about the times. Both he and Burns questioned my start last year to me and Brown's father was convinced my start last year was illegal, and said so to all who would listen. This is pro sports, and everyone has an opinion about everything! That is their right as individuals and I did not take it as some sort of personal attack on my ability or anything other than what it was - an opinion. Suddenly, my assessment that 5 people setting personal bests in one race (which is exceedingly rare, anywhere in that event at any time) means that I am discrediting everyone's performances. What it in fact means is I want to be sure there are no errors. It's not like there weren't last year. The response should have been "We are positive that no errors were made this year". Period. All these references questioning to my right to say what I think are ridiculous, particularly when my website is full of them on numerous subjects which have not been taken and made into something else.

TRUTH: Mr Hubert Alleyne, arguably one of the finest financial minds in the country, came up with a brilliant plan a few years ago to PROPERLY fund the country's track athletes for years - a plan which Mr. Hasely Crawford and others promptly discarded as "rubbish", possibly because of who brought it to the table - so when he talks of my irresponsibility in this action as it relates to the country's young track athletes, he should remember that at this point not one track athlete would ever have had to worry about funding for the next 20 years, had my plan been implemented. I wonder if those who so quickly abandoned that plan can say that they have devised anything which can be considered its equivalent or better, or is it better to have the athletes being hand to mouth as usual.

Ato Boldon.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 12:40:46 PM »
i agree with atbol- i myself was a little suspicious not with burns and brown them men capable -come on people so much men run pr's in same race-times in the final opposed to the other rounds drop so much.  

maybe he shouldn't have addressed this openly on his website though maybe privately with the naaa's now he and hasely vex and he have to coach the 6 men at relays same men he questioned in public.

Offline fLaSh

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2005, 04:08:25 PM »
i agree with atbol- i myself was a little suspicious not with burns and brown them men capable -come on people so much men run pr's in same race-times in the final opposed to the other rounds drop so much.  

maybe he shouldn't have addressed this openly on his website though maybe privately with the naaa's now he and hasely vex and he have to coach the 6 men at relays same men he questioned in public.

Ato don't have to coach anybody this year at Worlds. That's a lie by Hasely. Ato offered a plan to get the team to run relay meets in the States and Europe starting April. NAAA got back to him in MAY to plan a meeting to discuss it. Ato said it was too late and withdrew his offer for this year. He was NEVER going to be involved with that relay this year so for Hasely to suggest that is dishonest

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2005, 07:14:32 AM »
it was a big lie ato was right in questioning the timing but i woulda deal with it 'in house'.

1]; } ?>