April 30, 2024, 09:36:25 AM

Author Topic: Flying start for Toco.  (Read 6898 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Flying start for Toco.
« on: September 10, 2006, 08:29:15 AM »
Flying start for Toco.
By: Kwame Williams (Guardian).
[/size]

Toco Composite will be happy with the start it made to the new season, by whipping East Zone rivals Arima 4-0 yesterday at the Anglais Road Recreation Ground in Cumana.
Captain Shirvon Charles gave his side the lead with only 14 minutes gone on the clock. Less than a minute later, Sean Michael Stafford doubled Toco’s advantage.
Just before half-time, defender Yanick Diaz made it 3-0, beating Arima’s goalie with an audacious shot taken from more than 40 yards out.
Substitute Jude Moran put the icing on the cake in the 71st minute, getting Toco’s fourth and final item.
Toco now join St Augustine and defending zonal champs San Juan, who were both 3-0 winners in their opening fixtures on Friday.
San Juan beat Malabar Composite, while St Augustine whipped El Dorado.
In South Zone action, Cleon Ayeres got the equaliser to earn Moruga a share of the spoils, as they held hosts Fyzabad to a 1-1 draw yesterday.
Fyzabad went into the break with a 1-0 lead, getting their goal in the 35th minute. Ayeres then struck in the 70th, ensuring that his team did not go home empty-handed. Newly-promoted Trinity enjoyed its return to the top flight of the SSFL, recording a 1-0 win over St Mary’s at St Mary’s Grounds, St Clair.

NORTH ZONE

St Mary’s 0 vs Trinity 1 (Khadon Chee Wah 80th)

SOUTH ZONE

Fyzabad 1 (Mandela Edmund 35th) vs Moruga 1 (Cleon Ayeres 70th).

EAST ZONE

Toco 4 (Shirvon Charles 14th, Sean Michael Stafford 15th, Yanick Diaz 44th, Jude Moran 71st) vs Arima 0.

TOBAGO ZONE

Bishop’s High 3 (Melvern Isaac, Kyle Salandy, Darren Alfred) vs Roxborough 1 (Akeilon Murphy).

Scarborough 0 vs Signal Hill 0.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 02:52:44 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Flying start for Toco.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 06:20:29 PM »
Who is Arima's current coach?  That team has seriously deteriorated.   Something has to be done.  No disrespect to Toco.  Congrats on that Victory Toco. 
Arima is a Traditional east zone powerhouse...so something is definitly wrong.   Once again...who is the  current Coach? 

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 08:57:19 AM »
Who is Arima's current coach? That team has seriously deteriorated. Something has to be done. No disrespect to Toco. Congrats on that Victory Toco.
Arima is a Traditional east zone powerhouse...so something is definitly wrong. Once again...who is the current Coach?

Same thing I saying.  What happen to Arima?  Dem fellas always used to be real qualty, but they have been on the decline for about 3-4 years now.  I have been observing dem for a while.  Me ain't saying Toco ain't good, but Rima normally donn't take that kinda licks.

Offline Papasmurf

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://footballawayoflife.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 09:10:03 AM »
All these schools have become 5 and 7 year schools now. Before Arima had the oppurtunity to grab alot of talent coming out of the Junior secondary schools, liKe Five rivers, Curepe, etc. Now, that these school have become o'level and a'level schools, the talent isn't moving around as much. Hence, the schools like, toco, eldo, Hillview (Go hillview GO!) who had the oppurtunity to establish a decent under 14 and under 16 system, are starting to make noise at least in the east. I played for Hillview for 7 years lastly in 2000, and since then the shift in east zone football had begun from the under 14, under 16 and championship levels (under 19). Infact i remember, handily beating the likes of Arima, Toco and Eldo in the under 19 level in 2000. Now is when we see where the good coaches are in the east. Its no longer taking the best talent, its about nurturing.
Also I remember that Arima's coach Grayson's brother was a coach in Mt. Hope jr. sec. And there was a time where once you where a good player for Mt. Hope you were almost assured a place in Arima's team. But lets see what unfolds this year.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 09:59:36 AM »
All these schools have become 5 and 7 year schools now. Before Arima had the oppurtunity to grab alot of talent coming out of the Junior secondary schools, liKe Five rivers, Curepe, etc. Now, that these school have become o'level and a'level schools, the talent isn't moving around as much. Hence, the schools like, toco, eldo, Hillview (Go hillview GO!) who had the oppurtunity to establish a decent under 14 and under 16 system, are starting to make noise at least in the east. I played for Hillview for 7 years lastly in 2000, and since then the shift in east zone football had begun from the under 14, under 16 and championship levels (under 19). Infact i remember, handily beating the likes of Arima, Toco and Eldo in the under 19 level in 2000. Now is when we see where the good coaches are in the east. Its no longer taking the best talent, its about nurturing.
Also I remember that Arima's coach Grayson's brother was a coach in Mt. Hope jr. sec. And there was a time where once you where a good player for Mt. Hope you were almost assured a place in Arima's team. But lets see what unfolds this year.

Yep.  I think almost the entire squad in 199-92 was a product from Mt. Hope.  When ah read the Junior Express when the team was featured, that was a very conspicuous fact.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 10:17:27 AM »
Ras, that's embarassing to lose 4-0 to Toco.  I agree with all men and thing but Arima has a lot of pride. 

As a former playing member of the team, it really hurts to see this type of nonsense.  All of this started when coach Grayson left and went to St. Augustine. 

It's not true that most of our players came from Mt. Hope.  I don't know where people getting their information from.  Most of Arima players came from in and around Arima b/c we played with pride and we understood the importance of success to the community. 

I cyar understand what going on, but reading this stuff is depressing.
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Papasmurf

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 12:35:58 PM »
Yeah, I grew up in Arima, I could actually see Compre from my back porch. My dad used to teach there as well, so i was and still is a hard Arima fan. But i rooting for Hillview too.

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 01:11:29 AM »

Yep.  I think almost the entire squad in 199-92 was a product from Mt. Hope.  When ah read the Junior Express when the team was featured, that was a very conspicuous fact.

Nah dread, I dont think yuh accurate on that mt hope thing at all, I played for arima in 92.   
Also, there has to be a coaching problem.  Grayson is a quality coach and he is no longer at arima.....so once again, who is Arima's current coach?
By the way, Arimaman what yr did you play for arima?

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 01:28:38 AM »
Tenorsaw, I cant remember all of the schools that men came from in the early 90's before playing for arima but Im sure that very few came from MT hope.  I remember some guys came from Arima govt, five rivers and eldorado.  I was doing A'levels at the time so there were some guys who came from Tunapuna and one guy from CIC and another from Hillview.  I cant remember if there was anyone from mt hope but its possible.

Offline Papasmurf

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 08:14:01 AM »
I am not sure with respect to numbers. But i do recall the Mt. hope players from around 96, 97 were in high demand. Cant remember any names.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 10:09:00 AM »
After all what i'm reading and hearing here,there are people that will still say College Football don't develope our Youth players,look at what's going on with Arima,Toco etc these guys got talent but the schools are what takes them to the next level(projects them),it all have to do with the coaching they get,sorry to hear what's going on with Arima,it's an area that has developed a lot of quality players,they just need a Coach. 

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 01:28:36 PM »
Papasmurf, since nobody can come up with any names of any star Arima players comming from Mt Hope, I think we can ignore that ole talk. If there was any year that most of arima team was comprised of Mt hope players then somebody should at least remember one name.  The implication that Arima only had good teams in the 90's because you think that they snapped up all the talent from Mt Hope is totally Bogus.  The only team that I think got some MT hope talent was QRC.......I could be very wrong but I think the likes of Jeremy shortt and Hector sam were snapped up from Mt hope by QRC in the early 90's.
Anyway, Grayson is one of the better coaches in the country not just the east zone.  Grayson made Aima a powerhose and then coached St Augustine to a national league title just a few years back.  Anyway, can somebody tell me......is Grayson still coaching St augustine?  and who is Arima's current coach? I'll be totally shocked if Grayson went back to arima and is coaching a loosing team.

Offline Papasmurf

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 08:35:07 AM »
Yeah well i can't remember those names...but i do remember Kenyon 'Bines' Trotman, he was one, there were a few more around his time. But i think this point is already overdone. BLESS!

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 10:46:48 AM »
Kenyon is the younger brother of the Late Mickey Trotman, who as you know is an Arima legend.  So  Keyon was not recruited from Mt hope....he was going to attend arima regardless.
bless

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 10:51:05 AM »
Papasmurf, since nobody can come up with any names of any star Arima players comming from Mt Hope, I think we can ignore that ole talk. If there was any year that most of arima team was comprised of Mt hope players then somebody should at least remember one name. The implication that Arima only had good teams in the 90's because you think that they snapped up all the talent from Mt Hope is totally Bogus. The only team that I think got some MT hope talent was QRC.......I could be very wrong but I think the likes of Jeremy shortt and Hector sam were snapped up from Mt hope by QRC in the early 90's.
Anyway, Grayson is one of the better coaches in the country not just the east zone. Grayson made Aima a powerhose and then coached St Augustine to a national league title just a few years back. Anyway, can somebody tell me......is Grayson still coaching St augustine? and who is Arima's current coach? I'll be totally shocked if Grayson went back to arima and is coaching a loosing team.

Go back and check when Desouze was keeping.  That is the time I'm talking about.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2006, 01:39:33 PM »
Tenorsor, I played for Arima from 88-91, therefore, the name Desouze doesn't sound familiar to me.

Fatimarima is correct, Bine was going to Arima regardless.

I left trini in 91, therefore, it would not be fair to make an honest assessment after that date.  However, having played from Arima under coach Grayson, I can honestly say, during my time we have very few players coming from Mt. Hope.

Most of our players were home grown from the Arima area with the influx of Talent from the LaHorquetta, Maloney, Malabar and Santa Rosa areas.

It's really sad that Arima flat out sucks, but, we played with pride for the community and that's why we were successful.
Arimian to meh heart

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2006, 06:49:36 PM »
LOL.... :D.......Listen, there was a Desouze who was the goal keeper in 91 when Denim was captain and I think he was goal keeper again in 92 when Darron Gooding was captain.  That was the time when I was at Arima.  I honestly cant remember all the schools men came from  but for sure the majority did not come from MT hope.   Most of the guys lived in and around Arima....the same places Arimaman mentioned.   ......But we are straying from the point.  The point is, Arima was a powerhouse in the 80's and 90's for two reasons.  

1. Arima had a very good coach in Mike Grayson
2. Quality players from and around Arima wanted to play for Arima snr Compre regardless of the junior sec they may have attended.

I dont know exactly why Arima football has deteriorated and I dont know who is the current coach.  Im assuming that Grayson is still at St Augustine and therefore also assuming that Arima does not currently have a quality coach.

One thing I want you guys to understand about Arima in the" POWERHOUSE YEARS" is that the players were not recruited...they wanted to play for Arima...because they lived in Arima and had pride in Arima, plus the school had a very good coach who knew how to prepare the team at the college level.    The prestigue schools in the North are the ones that actively recruited players fom junior secs, not Arima.  So please dont blame the the constant Cut-Arse that we put on the likes of Hillview, Toco and everybody else on shady recruitment of all the talented players.  We played for Arima because we wanted to and we cut people tail because we were coached to do  that.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2006, 10:20:52 PM »
The school has been chaotic 4 years. It is only tobe expected that the chaos would have been eventually reach the football. They are now a 7yr school so they can build a team 4 the future
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>