March 28, 2024, 07:29:45 AM

Author Topic: Warren Archibald  (Read 37592 times)

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Warren Archibald
« on: September 11, 2006, 03:37:08 PM »
Ah wanted tuh get some info on the above player, ah know there are people here dat saw the man play in person, or on television, and would be able tuh share some true facts about Archibald as ah player. De reason for this is because, today ah bounce up ah Haitian padnah ah mine ah didn't see fuh years. We started ah lil fotball talk, he talk about how de T&T team did make the Caribbean proud and ah was telling him about de forum and thing. However, this breddah was at de the game dat everybody say de referee thief we, disqualify we goals and send Haiti tuh de world cup in 1974. He said all dem goals was really off side.

The part ah find hard tuh believe, is dat he was real dogging out Archibald, he say de man would get 8 goal scoring chances, be off side fuh 6 and score 2 dat de lines man didn't see and raise de flag. He said not only de Haiti game, but Mexico and other games de man does only score off side goals. Ah doh know much about him, more than what ah read here and what meh dad told me. As ah Trini ah does represent, and defend at all times, but dis time ah was just listening, cuz ah really doh know much on de player. People out dey cud all yuh verify the stuff dat was said about Archibald.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 04:02:06 PM by SUPA »
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Archibald
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 03:49:56 PM »
Yuh have meh confused. Who yuh talking bout, Warren Archibald or Steve David?
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Archibald
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 03:55:28 PM »
Yuh have meh confused. Who yuh talking bout, Warren Archibald or Steve David?

Yeh tall man, thanks, ah just modify de thread, it is definitely Archibald, so it have tuh be Warren as de first name. I apologise folks, ah did mixed up de man first name, and I previously had it as Steve, but of course de gentleman name is Warren Archibald. Bless.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 07:12:02 PM by SUPA »
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Warren Archibald
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 06:17:06 PM »
That man was everything and anything,a rare gem destined to mesmerize once you gazed at it,picture a man with the speed and grace of a cheetah,and there he is on the field of play going after a ball you almost feel yourself in motion with him,your snowcone is melting because you don't want to take your eyes off or miss a beat.

Cheers to warren archibald he amongst many set the pace for latapy,yorke,stern,and those to come.................. 

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 07:04:00 PM »
That man was everything and anything,a rare gem destined to mesmerize once you gazed at it,picture a man with the speed and grace of a cheetah,and there he is on the field of play going after a ball you almost feel yourself in motion with him,your snowcone is melting because you don't want to take your eyes off or miss a beat.

Cheers to warren archibald he amongst many set the pace for latapy,yorke,stern,and those to come.................. 

Thanks dey Saga, nice tuh read something real positive about de breddah.  :beermug:
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 11:04:52 AM »

Well said Saga,you could not discribe the man better,i've had the opportunity to play against him and is one of the players i picked up a lot from,when ever we talk about T&T Football Archie's name will always come up.I wonder if that guy know it have a lot of Haitian's that carry his name since after that infamous game.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 11:08:40 AM »
Always seems to be too late to recognise greatness.... anyone have any word on ah latapy testimonial before he ang up he boots ? ...or are we going to meet here twenty years later ruing the lost opportunity ?

Offline Toussaint

• Hero Warrior
  • ...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.
    • View Profile
    • Haiti Spors
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 11:28:27 AM »
Every single thing your friend said about Archibald is true. In Haiti, we believe that he was the greatest football player from Trinidad. He also distinguished himself in what was back then the US major league. I was quite surprised to find out that the present trini generation knows almost nothing about the guy.

Archibald was pretty much like Hugo Sanchez, one who would always find a way to score (even with his hands!). We even had a carnival song that said : 'Archibald, look what you did to Mexico / Mexicans will stop bragging...'

I am glad your friend told you how Haitians in general feel about that great former footballer and how the TnT national team is viewed in Haiti.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 11:40:22 AM by Toussaint »
...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 11:33:56 AM »

Well said Saga,you could not discribe the man better,i've had the opportunity to play against him and is one of the players i picked up a lot from,when ever we talk about T&T Football Archie's name will always come up.I wonder if that guy know it have a lot of Haitian's that carry his name since after that infamous game.

Not wanting to take away from archie's glory but you must recall that Gally cummings was voted best player in haiti and was our shining light in that Concacaf tounament in george 5th Park when Phillipe vorbe and de haitians ran amock.
Gally is often underated in my book both as player and as coach.

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 04:17:25 PM »
Every single thing your friend said about Archibald is true. In Haiti, we believe that he was the greatest football player from Trinidad. He also distinguished himself in what was back then the US major league. I was quite surprised to find out that the present trini generation knows almost nothing about the guy.

Archibald was pretty much like Hugo Sanchez, one who would always find a way to score (even with his hands!). We even had a carnival song that said : 'Archibald, look what you did to Mexico / Mexicans will stop bragging...'

I am glad your friend told you how Haitians in general feel about that great former footballer and how the TnT national team is viewed in Haiti.

Toussaint, thanks fuh de reply, like ah said, ah doh know much about Archibald, so all ah cud do is be humble, and read all yuh opinion. Meh padnah did mention tuh meh about de song doh, yuh right about dat. Bless.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 04:21:09 PM by SUPA »
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Offline doublet750

• Hero Warrior
  • mi nuevo nombre es dinho mi vida es joga bonito
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 06:56:37 PM »
i play with his brothers team and from what i have heard he was everythign sga pinto described

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 07:29:52 PM »

Well Toussaint, from de replies ah get so far, wid no disrespect , it seems is only de Haitian people have negative things tuh say about de man. De T&T people so far strongly supports dey hero. Bless.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 08:41:39 PM »
Supa,probable Archibald was too fast for yuh Haitian pardna,so he taught he was off side.Archibald is probable the quickest player I see with the ball from Trinidad.One thing I learnt from him is that if your running with the ball close to yuh feet with his speed,you'll have to foul to take dat ball away.The last FIFA President Havelouge or whatever his name was said Archibald was the closest thing to a Brazilian.

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2006, 10:03:27 PM »
Supa,probable Archibald was too fast for yuh Haitian pardna,so he taught he was off side.Archibald is probable the quickest player I see with the ball from Trinidad.One thing I learnt from him is that if your running with the ball close to yuh feet with his speed,you'll have to foul to take dat ball away.The last FIFA President Havelouge or whatever his name was said Archibald was the closest thing to a Brazilian.

Royal, respect star, ah like yuh report on de man, yuh quote Havelange, dat is big right dey. Bless.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2006, 10:19:57 PM »
Archie was a big time player who used to score goals on ANY defence.Archie not only had speed he but cudda control and dribble and cudda destroy any defence,Now I never see him in colledge but I see him play for TnT and saw de Haiti game and is not just that game that show me Archie is ah boss, he cudda tear apart any side.
But ah want yuh to ask yuh padnah bout Haiti's big time player, Phillipe Vorbe, ask him how much time he touch de ball in that 73 game,(doh geh meh wrong Vorbe was very good also but was outshone be Archie in that game ).Ask him what happen to the linesman and Referee careers after the game,since he claims all de goals were offside.Leh mey put it to this way SUPA, TnT cudda score 10 goal that day we wudda still lose 2-1...It was de most blatant robbery ever in Concacaf history or in de world,that I ever see.

IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2006, 10:28:12 PM »

Not wanting to take away from archie's glory but you must recall that Gally cummings was voted best player in haiti and was our shining light in that Concacaf tounament in george 5th Park when Phillipe vorbe and de haitians ran amock. Gally is often underated in my book both as player and as coach.

Yes that was in Pompehi  when de Vorbe and de Haitians run'' ah mock'' but we return de favor in ah big time way and totally ouplayed demin Haiti in 73,even Vorbe cuddn't take de jammin and walk off de field before de game done.
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2006, 01:17:51 AM »
Archie was a big time player who used to score goals on ANY defence.Archie not only had speed he but cudda control and dribble and cudda destroy any defence,Now I never see him in colledge but I see him play for TnT and saw de Haiti game and is not just that game that show me Archie is ah boss, he cudda tear apart any side. But ah want yuh to ask yuh padnah bout Haiti's big time player, Phillipe Vorbe, ask him how much time he touch de ball in that 73 game,(doh geh meh wrong Vorbe was very good also but was outshone be Archie in that game ).Ask him what happen to the linesman and Referee careers after the game,since he claims all de goals were offside.Leh mey put it to this way SUPA, TnT cudda score 10 goal that day we wudda still lose 2-1...It was de most blatant robbery ever in Concacaf history or in de world,that I ever see.

Berris you SEE de Haiti game??

Were you there or on video?

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2006, 05:42:54 AM »
I'm talkiing to some influential folks back home concerning archival film on warren archibald,it might be possible to contact him directly on this issue,it's a pity that back then they never saw the historical value of filming most games that showcased the elite players of that era,but I was told by a friend of mine who happens to be close to archibald that in those days it was expensive to even own a camera far less one that could film movies or documentaries.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2006, 06:33:28 AM »
 Jus google archie an see what pops up.

Archie was a big big player to me. Ah was probably 10 when ah first see him play, yuh know as a youthman at that age everything does look bigger than it really was ?
 Well the last time ah saw him live on a field was in late 74' an the man was still de big big player . Speed, poise , lots of brain a world class player.

In my mind if that team of 73' made it to the world cup they would reached past the first rounds and given many big teams a run for dey money.

Is sad how things does work out I really believe if we had make it that year Trinidad would have been the powerhouse in Concacaf and no t Mexico
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline watch de ride

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2006, 12:15:23 PM »
Its been 33 years since that game and Haitians still remember his name. Doesn't that by itself say something about the man? As a Haitian bredrin at my job 2 years ago said, "Heeee was deee BESSSSSST!!!!!!!!

Watch de Ride

Offline Slade

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2006, 02:58:40 PM »
Is Warren Archibald still alive.... just curious

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2006, 03:06:29 PM »
Yes he is and if I'm not mistaken he has a place somewhere in south florida,just to add I also have a couple haitian friends one in particular who said to me,the greatest footballer he ever see is warren archibald,this haitian could'nt stop talking about archibald it was almost obscene..

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2006, 03:44:37 PM »

Yes, he is alive and well. Ah lime wit him in Germany. He does talk passionately about football.

In Dusseldorf airport on de way back to T&T

In Kaiserlautern before de game against Paraguay

In Kaiserlautern before de game against Paraguay. Posing with Philbert Jones (Strike Squad) and some members from the 73 Squad (Selris Figaro, Steve David, Tony Douglas etc.)

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2006, 03:53:21 PM »
Archie was a big time player who used to score goals on ANY defence.Archie not only had speed he but cudda control and dribble and cudda destroy any defence,Now I never see him in colledge but I see him play for TnT and saw de Haiti game and is not just that game that show me Archie is ah boss, he cudda tear apart any side. But ah want yuh to ask yuh padnah bout Haiti's big time player, Phillipe Vorbe, ask him how much time he touch de ball in that 73 game,(doh geh meh wrong Vorbe was very good also but was outshone be Archie in that game ).Ask him what happen to the linesman and Referee careers after the game,since he claims all de goals were offside.Leh mey put it to this way SUPA, TnT cudda score 10 goal that day we wudda still lose 2-1...It was de most blatant robbery ever in Concacaf history or in de world,that I ever see.

VB

VB it was long time ago, yuh know how much smoke ah hah tuh clear tuh remember exactly  ;D ..not too sure if it was live or a replay but it was on TTT  .... I din know bout video in dem days  ;D
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2006, 04:57:39 PM »

VB

VB it was long time ago, yuh know how much smoke ah hah tuh clear tuh remember exactly  ;D ..not too sure if it was live or a replay but it was on TTT  .... I din know bout video in dem days  ;D
[/b]

Hmmmmm.....So den it's possible dey have ah recording of dem games in TnT? Woulda LOVE to see that tournament, and dat Haiti game in particular.
About 20 years ago, the first Haitian I talk to in Miami, when he hear I from Trini, the first thing dah man say is if "you like football?"...The second thing was "Warren Archibald is the best player I ever see"..No joke. Then he went on to say that Archibald is a legend in Haiti. I was totally surprised. I thought dem thing only use to happen to Brazilians. So Apparently, Archie left a BIG impression.

Or else is de same Haitian everybody talking to.
Two islands are better than one.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2006, 06:18:09 PM »
The men that officiated that game were actually BANNED FOR LIFE  from FIFA from officiating any FIFA-sanctioned games.  Ask yuh Hatian padnah why that is.  Archie is also a friend of mine, despite our major generational differences and I know for a fact that he was practically worshipped by any and every body in the Caribbean and beyond that ever saw him play.......especially the people of Haiti!!  He was a big time player in the NASL (I once had the newspaper article that HE gave me) and he is a very humble and friendly person who does still appreciate the modern game and the modern player.  I hung out with him for a minute at the England game and even though he may own a home in Florida somewhere, He currently lives and works in Pennsylvania. (Unless that has changed since I last spoke to him) 

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2006, 04:42:29 PM »

Yes, he is alive and well. Ah lime wit him in Germany. He does talk passionately about football.

In Dusseldorf airport on de way back to T&T

In Kaiserlautern before de game against Paraguay

In Kaiserlautern before de game against Paraguay. Posing with Philbert Jones (Strike Squad) and some members from the 73 Squad (Selris Figaro, Steve David, Tony Douglas etc.)

Thanks Tallman, wey we go do without yuh input on de forum boi. Nice pics meh breddah, I'm very much pleased to see a picture of Mr Archibald, cuz ah would ah past one of our soocer heroes straight, or sit right next tuh him and not know dat it is him. In de pictures ah make out Philbert, somebody please tell meh which one is Steve David ?
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2006, 05:34:06 PM »
Thanks Tallman, wey we go do without yuh input on de forum boi. Nice pics meh breddah, I'm very much pleased to see a picture of Mr Archibald, cuz ah would ah past one of our soocer heroes straight, or sit right next tuh him and not know dat it is him. In de pictures ah make out Philbert, somebody please tell meh which one is Steve David ?

Steve David is partially hidden (de baldhead man behind Philbert).

Yuh could see him better here:

Steve David, Clayton Morris and Rickie Nelson

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2006, 09:27:39 PM »

Steve David is partially hidden (de baldhead man behind Philbert).

Yuh could see him better here:

Steve David, Clayton Morris and Rickie Nelson

Tallman,thanks again. Bless.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Offline Slade

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2006, 08:47:36 AM »
Still think these are some of the greatest footballers T&T ever produced.

1]; } ?>